• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The spring in the Forster seating die makes a horrible sound...

BenZen

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Hi there!

Does anybody know why the spring in the Forster seating die makes a ugky soundig loud "ding"-sound, on moving the round out of the die with a bullet now seated. I backed out the die after full compression of the sliding part for a whole revolution.

Can anybody help?
Thanx!

Forster has had bad batches of seating stems from time to time.

Their approach has been to blame the user.

If you pay to return the defective part they may send you a new one.

Crappy customer service.

They sent me one free of charge and I don’t know if anyone that’s been charged shipping for it. Can’t fault them there.

That said Im not so high on forster seating dies after my experience with this lone die set.

Mine has been issue free till I ran out of smk’s and bought some eld’s. It started doing that pop thing immediately. I’ve been playing sround with it thinking why the spring is doing that. The stem looks fine but obviously somethings gong on wrong somewhere.

Last edited:
They sent me one free of charge and I don’t know if anyone that’s been charged shipping for it. Can’t fault them there.

That said Im not so high on forster seating dies after my experience with this lone die set.

Three times now they have asked that I pay shipping to them before they will send a replacement for an obviously defective part.

Early presses crushed the spent primer drop tube. They have since redesigned the press but won’t accept responsibility for the earlier badly designed press.

Everyone should check their seating stems. Bad annealing have caused some to mushroom and some to crack. Again you pay for shipping to them before they will replace.

Finally, I received a short seating stem. Was told it must have been the end of a rod. That one they replaced.

In general, my experience is Forster ain’t DILLON and that sucks.

Sad because I too like the press.

I had to send a Forster die back that I broke trying something stupid. The CS was good to me. I did pay shipping though. I don't expect things for free.

I must be the only person in the world who has had a bad experience with Dillon. Just goes to show you, that when dealing with humans nothing is for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the seater stem make a mark on the bullet nose? Look close. Maybe the bullet nose gets stuck in the seater stem and pops out under spring tension, hence the sound?

Had two that split, they replaced them free. It’s hard to see the crack.