• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Wood Shop

So a fun little woodworking project today... I'll finish it up tomorrow with the metal work and stain, etc.

This is a cigar cutter in the form of a French Revolution Guillotine! All made out of oak with the blade made of spring steel weighted with .175" thick copper plates/guides. Stands about 24" tall including the keystone at the top. Pretty sure it would lop a finger off without too much trouble!

View attachment 8259337

3/4" oak plank sliced into beams. Sort of like a Lincoln Logs project!

View attachment 8259338

Blade is flat spring steel bolted to copper weights/guides. It weighs enough that it comes down with a 'thunk!'
View attachment 8259340

Cheated and did most of the woodwork on a milling machine. But, hey, whatever works! Bolted and glued the beams together. Those are 8BA steel bolts.

This is sort of inspiring me to pursue my dreams of building a real one. It's not that daunting a project, in reality. Though the joining would be some serious work with a chainsaw and chisels. But I think every neighborhood needs one these days...

Well, I'll finish it up tomorrow and post 'After' pix. Hopefully while enjoying a nice cleved-stogie!

Sirhr
9970E6E7-84CC-4167-BEDD-AD23F71C09F0.jpeg

Pics of some cabinets I built for the little kitchen in my bachelor pad before I retired. I downsized my house years ago so I could age in place without having a lot to maintain and clean. Preparing and painting the entire inside of my house took me the better part of two weeks. Cabinets all have removeable toe kicks, so I'll replace the floor next summer. Cancer kicked my butt (colon cancer two years ago, bladder cancer last year) and my age is really showing, but I still plug along at a snail's pace. All that remains is to stab the new fridge into the corner, hang the door that goes into the laundry space, and scrub the filthy floor.
all.JPG

cab3.JPG

cab2.JPG

cab1.JPG

hinge.JPG
joint.JPG

Pics of some cabinets I built for the little kitchen in my bachelor pad before I retired. I downsized my house years ago so I could age in place without having a lot to maintain and clean. Preparing and painting the entire inside of my house took me the better part of two weeks. Cabinets all have removeable toe kicks, so I'll replace the floor next summer. Cancer kicked my butt (colon cancer two years ago, bladder cancer last year) and my age is really showing, but I still plug along at a snail's pace. All that remains is to stab the new fridge into the corner, hang the door that goes into the laundry space, and scrub the filthy floor.
View attachment 8261435
View attachment 8261436
View attachment 8261437
View attachment 8261438
View attachment 8261439View attachment 8261441
Nice joinery! Old-school shaper or router table?

Got to move a couple of screws (the problem with not working off any real plans or blueprints... occasional oopsie. And clean up the stain and add the ropes. But it's done. Came out pretty cool!

View attachment 8259915

Table with groove that lines up right with the head hole! Table is removable. I may or may not add some leather straps and buckles, just to make it creepy! I mean, why not? I have the footman loops and buckles in 1/6 scale. Hummmmm. I may have to do that!

View attachment 8259916

Messed up on the engraving. I have to relocate three screw holes and it will be visible. 1789. La Republique. Seems fitting. Three new holes and my engraving will be properly revealed.

View attachment 8259917

Pulley is ebony with machined brass yoke. Spins great. The rest of the bits are brass or German silver scrap. The whole thing was built from one 4' leftover piece of 3/4" oak. And scrap from other projects. The best kind of build! Just a weekend well spent in bad weather!

@Bigfatcock if you want detailed photos... let me know! I don't really have plans except the Interwebz 'plans' that I loosely followed. But really everything was just done ad hoc. The best way to build stuff! Just wing it!

Cheers,

Sirhr
This is great. I have zero reason to have one, but want to build it all the same. Nice job.

This is great. I have zero reason to have one, but want to build it all the same. Nice job.
Precisely why I built it! A week ago, I didn't even know these existed. Then last Thursday night, I saw an antique guillotine cigar cutter for sale on an aucton site and I knew I had to have one. But not for $1,000 plus shipping! Screw that. I wanted it and with one scrap oak board, a bit of scrap metal, some small hardware and cord... and I've got one. I don't need one. But I needed to make one!

Love making things!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Go in and clear out their exotic wood section.
You want that stuff, go here...
I have never seen more exotic hardwoods in one place, ever, and I always look for the stuff.

I was thinking maybe their Japanese sharpening stones.
Look for any "Three Cherries" tools like chisels and japanese handsaws.
They are very exceptional and usually cost to match.
If it's a true clearance you might be able to make some good money turning them on fleabay or whatever.

Get you some good rasps. Auriou or Liogier. Hirsch gouges and former chisels. Dyes and dye powders.
The most used chisels in my shop are Henry Taylor socket bevel edged and cranked neck paring chisels along with L-N socket chisels. I bought them nearly 40 years ago when most of the good English woodworking tools were still available. Have a bunch of Sorby mortise and swan neck chisels but only use them if mortises can't be chopped on the Powermatic mortiser. Hand mortising hardwoods is a PITA. If I was going to invest in chisels today, I would look no further than L-N. Only sharpen plane blades and chisels on Japanese water stones with grits running from 250 to 12000. For the backside of blades initially flattten them with a diamond lapping plate. 69 is just around the corner and God willing I'll have a several more years to put them to good use.

The most used chisels in my shop are Henry Taylor socket bevel edged and cranked neck paring chisels along with L-N socket chisels. I bought them nearly 40 years ago when most of the good English woodworking tools were still available. Have a bunch of Sorby mortise and swan neck chisels but only use them if mortises can't be chopped on the Powermatic mortiser. Hand mortising hardwoods is a PITA. If I was going to invest in chisels today, I would look no further than L-N. Only sharpen plane blades and chisels on Japanese water stones with grits running from 250 to 12000. For the backside of blades initially flattten them with a diamond lapping plate. 69 is just around the corner and God willing I'll have a several more years to put them to good use.
I finally caved and bought a Robert Sorby pro-edge for my chisels. Been sharpening chisels and plane blades on stones for close to 20 years, and just got tired of it.

Love the pro-edge. Worth every penny. The time savings are enormous.

I finally caved and bought a Robert Sorby pro-edge for my chisels. Been sharpening chisels and plane blades on stones for close to 20 years, and just got tired of it.

Love the pro-edge. Worth every penny. The time savings are enormous.
That's nice. I just resharpened my plane blade with my Veritas mk2 on some water stones after roughing it in on a harbor freight diamond lap plate. Realized how long I've had the mk2 and felt old. 2006ish.

Been working on crazy house project. Not sure if it fits here. Does fixing sub floor, widening a sliding glass door opening, and fitting pergo on floor and stairs count?

Reactions: camocorvette
That's nice. I just resharpened my plane blade with my Veritas mk2 on some water stones after roughing it in on a harbor freight diamond lap plate. Realized how long I've had the mk2 and felt old. 2006ish.

Been working on crazy house project. Not sure if it fits here. Does fixing sub floor, widening a sliding glass door opening, and fitting pergo on floor and stairs count?
Time flies! I’ve easily got over $1,000 worth of diamond stones, Arkansas stones, and Shapton stones in my sharpening plus my sharpening jigs. That’s not even considering what has worn out over the years. No more for me! Besides as I get older holding and working the jigs starts to hurt my hands.

I finished on the pro edge in about 30 minutes what would have taken me hours on the stones. No stone flattening, no water mess, no repetitive movement. Worth every penny. Chisels and plane irons come off the 3000 grit belt ready to work.

I’m sadly getting to the point where I’m going to have to swap to the machines for my wood work. Maybe about 5 more years or so of being able to break down and mill boards to readiness with all hand tools.

Do the hos know you won’t be able to whip wood as well without assistance?

Alright guys, I have been asked the eternal question: what do you want for Christmas. Aside from more cigars, I need a quality hand saw. Like a plain design hand saw. But it needs to be good. The wood I use around here is typically oak, mesquite and pine. What do you recommend? I hate cheap quality hand tools so give me what you would get for yourself if the money was a secondary consideration.

Alright guys, I have been asked the eternal question: what do you want for Christmas. Aside from more cigars, I need a quality hand saw. Like a plain design hand saw. But it needs to be good. The wood I use around here is typically oak, mesquite and pine. What do you recommend? I hate cheap quality hand tools so give me what you would get for yourself if the money was a secondary consideration.
Panel or backsaw?

What are you using it for? Ripping or cross cutting? Is it for breaking down lumber or cutting joinery?

Panel or backsaw?

What are you using it for? Ripping or cross cutting? Is it for breaking down lumber or cutting joinery?
Panel. For rough cuts mainly. Cross cutting will be most of what it will be used for.

If breaking down rough lumber than a panel saw is what I would choose.

Sadly there are no good low level new made saws.

I’d source a good vintage panel saw that has been restored, sharpened, and set.

Midgrade would be the Pax or lynx. Sometimes the are really good out the box, and sometimes they need to be resharpened and set out of the box.

Top of the heap is bad axe.

8-11 TPI is what you’re looking for.

This is my Arsenal for breaking down lumber. 4 TPI rip to 11 TPI cross cut on the panel saws. The tenon saw is 14 TPI.

IMG_5160.jpeg

Last edited:
Working on a set of grips for a 6 foot double ended dildo.

IMG_5162.jpeg

Damn taper. These are the thicknesses I have to hit as I taper the grips. Then I have to figure out a flare on the bottom which probably won’t be possible without adding some pieces to the bottom. Good thing these are the practice set!

IMG_5163.jpeg

Last edited:

I had some extra OT money so I ordered a couple re-makes of the classic Disston panel saws from Bad Axe Tool Works. Very nice. There are a couple places like Highland Woodworking that carry a limited selection in stock.

That said, I've always kind of wanted one of these 'hardware store saws' from Tools For Working Wood.

Working on a set of grips for 6 foot double ended dildo.

View attachment 8271971

Damn taper. These are the thicknesses I have to hit as I taper the grips. Then I have to figure out a flare on the bottom which probably won’t be possible without adding some pieces to the bottom. Good thing these are the practice set!

View attachment 8271974
Ohhh my!

Those will be sweet when done.

Ohhh my!

Those will be sweet when done.
These will look like pure unadulterated ass. Practice set 2 will look better, lol.

The big goof on these was not leaving enough meat on them to have a flare/palm shelf around the bottom while still hitting the other parameters. I might be able to pull it off on the these, but will probably have to glue some pieces on the bottom and blend them for the flare.

Fed as I much of the grip blanks to the belt sander as I could, and now it’s back to the rasps.

A fuck up below. The filler should slope downward from right to left to rest on the shooter’s middle finger I didn’t do that on this practice set because I’m an idiot. Might fill it in on one side with some epoxy wood filler or glue a wood spacer in there:

IMG_5166.jpeg

As you can see, the shelf is not resting on the middle finger at its natural slope. Now the shooter will have to adjust their grip to an unnatural grip:

IMG_5172.jpeg

This part is correct since it’s the right fit to the middle finger:

IMG_5173.jpeg

Another fuck up is I didn’t leave enough meat at the bottom for a palm shelf all around. I’ll glue some pieces on to add enough and shape them in. The blue scribble is where the shelf should be. You can also see where I outlined where the palm swell will be:
IMG_5171.jpeg

Rear profile of the palm swell for a right handed shooter. The left grip panel is really one straight taper from the top to the bottom of the grips. The right grip panel will have a palm swell:

IMG_5170.jpeg

Details matter, lol. Good thing these are a practice set.

Attachments

• IMG_5169.jpeg
    IMG_5169.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5171.jpeg
    IMG_5171.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5170.jpeg
    IMG_5170.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5169.jpeg
    IMG_5169.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Added some wood back and you can’t even tell I made a mistake @sirhrmechanic !

IMG_5174.jpeg

After a little rasp work:

IMG_5175.jpeg

Filler resting on the middle finger like it’s supposed to:

IMG_5176.jpeg

But now I see I needed to leave more wood on the right grip panel!
IMG_5177.jpeg

I’m going to move onto contouring the grips before I mess with the filler on the right grip panel.

Yippee prototypes!

Last edited:
Reactions: Average guy
Added some wood back and you can’t even tell I made a mistake @sirhrmechanic !

View attachment 8272738

After a little rasp work:

View attachment 8272739

Filler resting on the middle finger like it’s supposed to:

View attachment 8272740

But now I see I needed to leave more wood on the right grip panel! View attachment 8272741

I’m going to move onto contouring the grips before I mess with the filler on the right grip panel.

Yippee prototypes!
I see no mistakes... I just see awesome!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Screenshot_20231209_151532_Gallery.jpg

My CNC has arrived and magically assembled itself... I think gnomes or elfs helped.

No I just have to figure out the small details like how to make it run.

Reactions: RETE8
View attachment 8292309

My CNC has arrived and magically assembled itself... I think gnomes or elfs helped.

No I just have to figure out the small details like how to make it run.
I was going to joke and say “What does it come with a Gateway for programming?”

Than I blew it up and saw the monitor is a Gateway.

This belongs in Vintage.

Homo wood will only be for early trial and error... lots and lots of errors I suspect...

Then it'll be time to break out the good stuff...

And... I LIKE BOOBIES... big or little...

Homo wood will only be for early trial and error... lots and lots of errors I suspect...

Then it'll be time to break out the good stuff...

And... I LIKE BOOBIES... big or little...
Keep us updated! Doesn’t look that difficult. A rectangle with foam inside, som drawer slides, and a rectangle attached on top.

Holly if you can find large enough pieces, and blood wood for the stripes. Not sure what to use for the blue part.

Could use cherry sapwood or lighter maple for the white stripes too.

Or curly maple dyed to the correct colors.

Damn it, now the wheels are turning.

lol. Took over an hour to download a picture of a titty.
When I was MSG in Liberia the country was just going to shit and we were on the eve of Sharp Edge.

We were in the Marine House and we had some dude from the MEU staying with us that was the MIS guy for the MEU ops people. Dude was a computer POG.

We were in the Marine House one day and the Wackenfuck Guard showed up and told us there was a man at the gate with a brain.

We all ran out to check this out a dude had a brain figuring it was in a jar.

Dude had a computer.

We all ended up buying IBMs, I think they were 350SX or something like that.

I remember the computer POG at the house telling us we should have bought Gateways like we would have that option on back gate sales.

That IBM was the BOM in college.