• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Maybe this guy had a hand in it?????

1519038967831.png

Ahhh...the good old days of logging at it's finest. doing an inside center cut so you can skirt the backside and let it fly. That looks like a cedar though so I wouldn't be crawling up inside there.
Note the paddleboards used while they cut the face and line up the back. The guy on the right is standing on one.

Ahhh...the good old days of logging at it's finest. doing an inside center cut so you can skirt the backside and let it fly. That looks like a cedar though so I wouldn't be crawling up inside there.
Note the paddleboards used while they cut the face and line up the back. The guy on the right is standing on one.

My initial thought was that they were using a paddle board and what looks like maybe an axe to fish out the last chunks of cut wood from the notch. Even with a 96" bar that Humbolt cut had to have taken quite a few passes, if for no other reason than to be able to manage the slices of wood. That notch would have to weigh a ton, literally, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be banging on it from a board on the low side when it came loose.

If he's doing an inside center cut on his back inside of a cedar I don't know how his balls would fit into the mouth of the notch.

IMG_1290.JPG

Beginning of next month I have surgery planned to fix the bad one. I should be 100% with plenty of time to cut and split in the spring for next fall

Ouch Geno, that looks painful.
Do you get any shifting of your vertebrae?
I used to get it every day and I could feel instant numbing below it.
The neurosurgeon should get you hooked up and back on your feet pretty quick

^^^ Sorry, I see it now. I hope they get you patched up. A bad back sucks, especially if your active.

Brother had his done a few years ago. His surgeon told him it was one of the leading causes of suicide before they could fix them. A bum back will never heal or knit on its own, unlike a cut or broken bone.

View attachment 6876565
Beginning of next month I have surgery planned to fix the bad one. I should be 100% with plenty of time to cut and split in the spring for next fall
Holy shit Geno! Not good.

If there is anything funny out of this, my first thought was a pancake looking backbone....after someone stuck their head up in a Cedar to do an inside center cut.

Added:

Bogey, I'd agree with that. He looks more like he's fishing at this point and not making the center-cut. If you'll note though, I wonder if they have a bit of a dutchman planned? Look to the left of the guy on the paddleboards and note the humboldt doesn't come all the way to the backcut. Like they plan on having it set then turn away from us?

Last edited:
Holy shit Geno! Not good.

If there is anything funny out of this, my first thought was a pancake looking backbone....after someone stuck their head up in a Cedar to do an inside center cut.

Added:

Bogey, I'd agree with that. He looks more like he's fishing at this point and not making the center-cut. If you'll note though, I wonder if they have a bit of a dutchman planned? Look to the left of the guy on the paddleboards and note the humboldt doesn't come all the way to the backcut. Like they plan on having it set then turn away from us?

Keen observation. You may be right.

Thanks guys, yeah the dark disks show degeneration. He little bump sticking out of them to the right is the herniation. They don't now which came first or if the herniation caused the degeneration or the other way around.

I can see how back in the day a guy could kill himself over this. The pain can be extreme at times and with no hope of fixing it, no telling home some would try and handle it.

As long as there isn't a nicked nerve after surgery, I should be in good shape after this, like any surgery there are risks... couple of dr visits to make sure there aren't any hidden problems with me before they put me under to cover their asses. Hate to not wake up...

Reactions: Barneybdb
dang! I hope they did tell you if there is any compression of nerves coming off the cord, they take a while to get better. Most folks have significant rapid improvement from decompression of the cord and are amazed that even with incision, they feel better than before surgery. I saw patients taking Tylenol after that had been on a fair amount of narcotic a day prior to surgery.
Good luck man! let us know before hand, those of us that pray would like to say one for ya.

Thanks for the well wishes. My pain tolerance is pretty good. I walk with a bit of a limp and take Tylenol so I can sleep. I try to keep meds to a minimum in my life. The really bad pain only happens when I pick up stuff.... big part of my life there! This guy has done a lot of these and is very good at his job so I feel I'm in good hands. When it's done the chips will fly!!

I spent the majority of the day outdoors shooting, fixing, etc... As I post this it’s 31 degrees F, easterly wind at 12 mph, 98% humidity, with freezing drizzle. This feels GOOD...

0016F1E4-AC1A-4A58-A11E-6BB710A58DD3.jpeg

The 026 is ported and has ab044 carb with a working choke. Running at 15,200 rpm, she is capable of 16,200 safe. Just got a new 261 sent it to be ported, currently running at 14,200 once broke in will she where she can run at. The 461MMWS is 14,800 and can go to 15,200 safely. On the list to be ported is 034 super, 036 pro’s. Have a new 441rcm probably going to sell. And go with something else.

The 026 is ported and has ab044 carb with a working choke. Running at 15,200 rpm, she is capable of 16,200 safe. Just got a new 261 sent it to be ported, currently running at 14,200 once broke in will she where she can run at. The 461MMWS is 14,800 and can go to 15,200 safely. On the list to be ported is 034 super, 036 pro’s. Have a new 441rcm probably going to sell. And go with something else.

This is my first season on my 261. Love that saw.

Reactions: rope
im on 3 or 4 season w my 261, 3rd bar, no idea how many gallons of gas through it
it is one of my best pieces of equiptment, extremely dependable and is no joke when working, it is bad ass...
95 % of my saw use is this saw.

rope, how much does it mean in production to have a ported saw???
i like anything hotrod

Have you tried one of these on your 461? I notice a difference on my 440 and 60.
http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=maxflow

im on 3 or 4 season w my 261, 3rd bar, no idea how many gallons of gas through it
it is one of my best pieces of equiptment, extremely dependable and is no joke when working, it is bad ass...
95 % of my saw use is this saw.

rope, how much does it mean in production to have a ported saw???
i like anything hotrod
I don’t think there is a standard you will get x from a ported saw. A good porter will get the best out of that saw. Even saws in the same series won’t be the same. I would say the the 026 picked up about 50% over stock. It has 044 carb, timing was advanced, muffler is dual port.

The 261 as we speak is at 45% over stock but is not broke in yet. Had carb work, timing advanced, muffler work in addition to the porting.

The 461 has carb work, drilled out to a 661 internals, advanced timing, dual port muffler, running a 9 pin 85 dL chain. The 461 is a dog until it’s ported. The 461 is about 40% better.

I run square file chain. It’s a pain to learn how to file. It is faster than round file chain. If you have not tried square grind try a loop.
A50026A6-8468-4FBE-B496-0D6BE69D141B.jpeg

Last edited:
15 years ago I bought a cheap Poulan 16" wild thing saw to take care of minimal firewood cutting needs.
I sold the still running saw because I had moved back to Florida and no longer had an apparent need for it.
A couple of years go by and I need to trim oak branches touching the roof.
Bought an electric pole saw and it worked just fine.
But, it's electric and has a cord...
Fast forward to 2016 and Rebecca and I buy a house that needs work and a lot of crap cut down and back so we can see the other half of the back yard.

I used the pole saw.

What a total pain in the ass!

Did I mention it was a complete pain in the ass?

After a year in the house, the woods started creeping back into the yard.
More cutting with the toy saw...

Year two in the house finds me reading this thread every day, and wishing I had bought a decent gas powered saw.

Well, I've stood all I can stands, and I can't stands no more.

Found a Husky 440 in a pawn shop for a good price.
Contrary to reviews, it started and ran just fine.
It did need a bit of tuning and idle adjustment and the chain needed the tooth angles re-cut. The previous owner must have thought they should be flat across the front instead of having a chisel tooth.
Fixed that in 15-20 minutes.

Fired it up and did a test run on a stump.

It's gonna make short work of the four trees and other shrubbery that need removing.
I'm stoked!!

Nice job Mike!
Just put in an offer on a house with a fireplace in the family room today.
Many years ago I was young and cutting a fair amount of firewood with a Poulan saw I bought for about $100. Hard to justify a $450 saw fresh out of college with a lot of student loans, even with a good job. It still runs and has cut a ton of firewood in over a decade. If this house is a go, I will keep using it and probably start looking for a better saw to stack up 2-3 cords for the winter. I will be asking you ladies for advice.

With all of us in a different place in life. Different needs from a saw. There a lot of options that will work just fine. Its easy to get caught up with the ole Dodge, Chevy, Ford debate that translates to saws. One thing I would like to pass along about cutting wood, is that it pays to buy pro saw as soon as you can. If you are planning a life time of cutting wood, you would be money ahead to get a great saw. I know some of the fellas here know about a 3 year plan for firewood. I live in Alaska and burn between 15-20 cords a year. Many people have a 2 saw plan, and that's a good solid direction. With the amount of wood I have to harvest each year time is a premium. I have looked for efficiency, that has led me to ported saws, and square grind chain.
@powdahound76 you may want to look over at outdoor power equipment forum or firewood hoarders club forum. Lots of good information about chainsaws and burning wood. You may want to start paying attention to what local folks are saying about your local chainsaw dealer. The saw shop that has the best customer service and mechanics, would be the brand I would go with.

Muffler opened up and baffles removed sped this 661 up.

I gotta ask, what kind of wood is he cutting? The chips he's throwing look like dust, not strips. The RPM's are staying up though.

On square filing, I noted ropes's cutter looks pretty upright. No more hook for what you cut, rope? When I square filed I definitely put more hook (back angle) into the cutter. I always used more hook and was very gentle with taking off rakers. Let the cutter bite in and the raker keep it floating at the right depth.

With all of us in a different place in life. Different needs from a saw. There a lot of options that will work just fine. Its easy to get caught up with the ole Dodge, Chevy, Ford debate that translates to saws. One thing I would like to pass along about cutting wood, is that it pays to buy pro saw as soon as you can. If you are planning a life time of cutting wood, you would be money ahead to get a great saw. I know some of the fellas here know about a 3 year plan for firewood. I live in Alaska and burn between 15-20 cords a year. Many people have a 2 saw plan, and that's a good solid direction. With the amount of wood I have to harvest each year time is a premium. I have looked for efficiency, that has led me to ported saws, and square grind chain.
@powdahound76 you may want to look over at outdoor power equipment forum or firewood hoarders club forum. Lots of good information about chainsaws and burning wood. You may want to start paying attention to what local folks are saying about your local chainsaw dealer. The saw shop that has the best customer service and mechanics, would be the brand I would go with.

couldnt have said it any better except i havent ever used a square cut chain, i will tho.

i have a farmboss and bought it years ago because i thought i was doing the right thing, nope.
it was very clear when i fired up and ran my 261 that, the pro saw was the way to go. really.

15 years ago I bought a cheap Poulan 16" wild thing saw to take care of minimal firewood cutting needs.
I sold the still running saw because I had moved back to Florida and no longer had an apparent need for it.
A couple of years go by and I need to trim oak branches touching the roof.
Bought an electric pole saw and it worked just fine.
But, it's electric and has a cord...
Fast forward to 2016 and Rebecca and I buy a house that needs work and a lot of crap cut down and back so we can see the other half of the back yard.

I used the pole saw.

What a total pain in the ass!

Did I mention it was a complete pain in the ass?

After a year in the house, the woods started creeping back into the yard.
More cutting with the toy saw...

Year two in the house finds me reading this thread every day, and wishing I had bought a decent gas powered saw.

Well, I've stood all I can stands, and I can't stands no more.

Found a Husky 440 in a pawn shop for a good price.
Contrary to reviews, it started and ran just fine.
It did need a bit of tuning and idle adjustment and the chain needed the tooth angles re-cut. The previous owner must have thought they should be flat across the front instead of having a chisel tooth.
Fixed that in 15-20 minutes.

Fired it up and did a test run on a stump.

It's gonna make short work of the four trees and other shrubbery that need removing.
I'm stoked!!

mike, bring that thing over, lets give it a go, hurry up, dont be a bad son no longer

"Serious" chainsaw geeks have little regard for the cheap Poulans, but over the years I've used them a few times for lack of other immediate options and I'll say that for what they are they're pretty badass little saws. I've certainly done some horrific shit to one or two of them and they kept on trucking. For a homeowner saw they pack some bang for very few bucks.

"Serious" chainsaw geeks have little regard for the cheap Poulans, but over the years I've used them a few times for lack of other immediate options and I'll say that for what they are they're pretty badass little saws. I've certainly done some horrific shit to one or two of them and they kept on trucking. For a homeowner saw they pack some bang for very few bucks.

That was the primary reason I put money on that little Poulan.
That thing could sit for 6-8 months and start right up.
Never lacked power for the things I cut including a monstrous ponderosa pine just outside of Custer, SD.
Probably should have just kept it.

mike, bring that thing over, lets give it a go, hurry up, dont be a bad son no longer

Maybe Friday. It depends on what happens tomorrow.
Have to take Rebecca to her urologist to get a stint removed from her kidney.
She spent four days in St Joseph south with a 7.5mm kidney stone. They had to surgically remove it.
So, based on how she feels Thursday evening, I'll know what's going on Friday.

I would like to see what it's capable of though.

Maybe Friday. It depends on what happens tomorrow.
Have to take Rebecca to her urologist to get a stint removed from her kidney.
She spent four days in St Joseph south with a 7.5mm kidney stone. They had to surgically remove it.
So, based on how she feels Thursday evening, I'll know what's going on Friday.

I would like to see what it's capable of though.
My uncle was shot twice in Vietnam and said his kidney stones hurt way worse! Hopefully they're not recurring. Tell her the carnie wishes her well

Will do Geno.
BTW Mike,
All is well. The stint came out easy and she walked out of the doctor's office with a big smile on her face.
This was the first stone for her and it was 7.5mm.
Her mother had them before so Rebecca will take more precautions.
She really never drinks enough liquids and gets nosebleeds because of it.
She has decided to drink a minimum of 3 30oz Yeti tumblers of water per day as a precaution.
That should do the trick.

Will do Geno.
BTW Mike,
All is well. The stint came out easy and she walked out of the doctor's office with a big smile on her face.
This was the first stone for her and it was 7.5mm.
Her mother had them before so Rebecca will take more precautions.
She really never drinks enough liquids and gets nosebleeds because of it.
She has decided to drink a minimum of 3 30oz Yeti tumblers of water per day as a precaution.
That should do the trick.

Glad to hear that she’s better. H2O is a wonderful thing. I can’t imagine nose bleeds in FL with your humidity, but, staying hydrated is important. I drink water like a mad man in my “office” as it runs between 2-5%. Sure, you have to pee, but if you’re not peeing clear, you’re dehydrated. I wish her the best.

Glad to hear that she’s better. H2O is a wonderful thing. I can’t imagine nose bleeds in FL with your humidity, but, staying hydrated is important. I drink water like a mad man in my “office” as it runs between 2-5%. Sure, you have to pee, but if you’re not peeing clear, you’re dehydrated. I wish her the best.

@tnichols
The nosebleeds are a byproduct of the lack of water and a condition that I also have along with my older sister, my mom and my oldest daughter.

Each of us have what is basically an exposed capillary in the nostril. Dehydration, dry air from air conditioning and even something as simple as gently rubbing the nose will start the flow.
Rebecca's nosebleeds start and stop quickly.
The ones on my side of the family are gushers. They sometimes last up to 45 minutes. Fortunately, as I've aged the frequency and duration have nearly come to a stop.
My 23 year old daughter still gets them but it's not very often anymore.

A Q-tip and a touch of Vaseline in the offending nostril right after a shower prevents most of them.

Hey guys help me formulate a better response than "Have you lost your fn mind!"

My brother and I both heat primarily with wood, Mama Bear equivalent stoves, so my niece grew up knowing the benefits of a wood stove.

She and her Air Farce husband are currently stationed in England. When they return stateside they want to buy and refurbished an old farm house. She has fallen in love with this type stove and wants my advise on buying this one

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-FRENCH-Deville-108-enamel-WOOD-STOVE-/263498491844?_mwBanner=1

David has wisely said yes dear.

The stove is about 14x14x29. It might heat a room if you keep shoveling little wood blocks in it.

I need to send her pics of a similar one that I have in storage. It's a little bigger and I know it will heat a room. Iirc takes Cookstove sized wood. Hasn't been used in 40 years because of chimney worries.

Last edited:
She was hitting me up for an opinion because her father doesn't have internet, other than cell phone, at the house.

His response was
Is she fuckin nuts. She grew up with a wood stove she should know better than that. Pretty doesn't equal efficient heat.

Tell her to buy that stove and let uncle Sam pay the shipping with the pcs move.
Once it's stateside, sell it for $12-1500.
That should pay for the proper wood burner for their home

Hey guys help me formulate a better response than "Have you lost your fn mind!"

My brother and I both heat primarily with wood, Mama Bear equivalent stoves, so my niece grew up knowing the benefits of a wood stove.

She and her Air Farce husband are currently stationed in England. When they return stateside they want to buy and refurbished an old farm house. She has fallen in love with this type stove and wants my advise on buying this one

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-FRENCH-Deville-108-enamel-WOOD-STOVE-/263498491844?_mwBanner=1

David has wisely said yes dear.

The stove is about 14x14x29. It might heat a room if you keep shoveling little wood blocks in it.

I need to send her pics of a similar one that I have in storage. It's a little bigger and I know it will heat a room. Iirc takes Cookstove sized wood. Hasn't been used in 40 years because of chimney worries.
Anty way to explain to her that that stove is now decorative, and not useful for burning wood?

She was hitting me up for an opinion because her father doesn't have internet, other than cell phone, at the house.

His response was
Is she fuckin nuts. She grew up with a wood stove she should know better than that. Pretty doesn't equal efficient heat.

Your last sentence sums it up for me, and should for her to. Heating with wood is a lot of work. Buy a stove that looks nice, BUT, is efficient and suitable to the space to be heated. Let someone else dink around with the green French poodle.