• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Another piece.

Attachments

• Woodworms2.jpg
    Woodworms2.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 100
^^^ I see those in dead standing oak as well. Can’t say if that killed the tree or not.

Wormy maple and wormy chestnut make great looking boards. I'll try to post some wormy chestnut photos when I get a chance.

Not much. It was in the down stairs bedroom at my grandmothers house in VA. I'd say it's between 90 and 100 years old if not older.

Two questions for the experienced saw men.

#1. I have access to 100LL gas. Is this to "hot" for a saw?

#2. All of my saw work is seasonal clean up work, spring and fall on old box elder, cottonwood and dead ash. The local dealer has a Stihl 391, he will install a 24" bar and chipper chain, $600. Good enough for a amateur?

I should add, already have two Stihls, 16" and 20" bars. Just had them tuned up with new bars and chipper chains. Sometimes they are lacking with the big trees, hence the 391.

Reactions: SierraScott
Two questions for the experienced saw men.

#1. I have access to 100LL gas. Is this to "hot" for a saw?

#2. All of my saw work is seasonal clean up work, spring and fall on old box elder, cottonwood and dead ash. The local dealer has a Stihl 391, he will install a 24" bar and chipper chain, $600. Good enough for a amateur?

I should add, already have two Stihls, 16" and 20" bars. Just had them tuned up with new bars and chipper chains. Sometimes they are lacking with the big trees, hence the 391.

There has been a bit of a debate on here regarding the use of 100LL in saws. I run a blend of 100LL (25%) to 91 octane no alcohol (75%) along with Stihl premix with great results and performance for years. This has been my experience. The 100LL probably raises the octane a bit and adds in stabilizing the fuel (Stihl premix along with other quality premixes have stabilizer in them) which is nice. My blend is what I call poor mans MotoMix, which is Stihl’s $30+ dollar a gallon canned fuel. I just started my old MS250 today to clean up a downed limb and figured it needed the exercise. It gets ignored these days with the 261 around. It started second pull. Hadn’t run for 6-8 months. Good quality fuel prevents a LOT of problems. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Barneybdb
There has been a bit of a debate on here regarding the use of 100LL in saws. I run a blend of 100LL (25%) to 91 octane no alcohol (75%) along with Stihl premix with great results and performance for years. This has been my experience. The 100LL probably raises the octane a bit and adds in stabilizing the fuel (Stihl premix along with other quality premixes have stabilizer in them) which is nice. My blend is what I call poor mans MotoMix, which is Stihl’s $30+ dollar a gallon canned fuel. I just started my old MS250 today to clean up a downed limb and figured it needed the exercise. It gets ignored these days with the 261 around. It started second pull. Hadn’t run for 6-8 months. Good quality fuel prevents a LOT of problems. Just my opinion.
^^^
The "right tool for the job" statement fits practically every application that exists. Including fuel, lubrication, and pressure. Not just wrenches.

Finally conditions allowed me to get back in the timber. Still working the same blowdown I was in late fall/early winter. The frost by and large is out, ground is firming back up, and temps in the mid 40’s make for comfortable working weather. I’ll include a couple of pics, but wood is mostly Shagbark Hickory, Red Oak, and Red Elm. Down now probably 2-3 years as the bark has shed mostly. Good quality wood.

8D579ECC-7FDC-4C58-8FF1-3C7B573778FD.jpeg

I’m a scrawny ol’ grump, and burn a lot fuel cutting and humping wood out of the timber. Miss Lori knows that and made me breakfast for supper when I got home. I can eat like I’m 18 again following an afternoon in the woods. Crave fat and carbs. Cast iron skillet fried potatoes, sausage, and eggs. Should be in Nom Nom but what the heck.

704F46D0-C3A5-4B1B-A058-59F128CE462F.jpeg

When running more octane fuel, the timing needs to changed. That will depend on how the piston hits the ports/transfers. May need advanced or retarded timing. Is the saw ported? Has the carb been moded, as well as the muffler? Look in your area for a chainsaw builder and see if they have messed with different fuels and can give you advise.

If he saw the flag mount, I'd assume he wouldn't have cut right there... Then again, after working with a tree service for a few summers, and loggers for years, I can assure you, many guys would look right at it, and put the saw exactly where he did, then cuss when the sparks start flying... It doesn't take a genius to cut wood! But a few IQ points do save a lot of easy money!

If he saw the flag mount, I'd assume he wouldn't have cut right there... Then again, after working with a tree service for a few summers, and loggers for years, I can assure you, many guys would look right at it, and put the saw exactly where he did, then cuss when the sparks start flying... It doesn't take a genius to cut wood! But a few IQ points do save a lot of easy money!

If he "seen". :ROFLMAO:

that was wood dropped for me to chop up as firewood, we were talking here,a bit ago on different things you would find in trees. here is anouther example.
matter of fact same log drop, anouther find. cement poured into what looks like a hole in the tree...total chain eater if you dont see it first

that was wood dropped for me to chop up as firewood, we were talking here,a bit ago on different things you would find in trees. here is anouther example.
matter of fact same log drop, anouther find. cement poured into what looks like a hole in the tree...total chain eater if you dont see it first

Yard trees :mad:. Amazing the junk grown into them. And just when you think you’re safe cutting timber trees, deer hunters have been known to leave hardware in and around trees too. All the local mills around here will not take yard trees.

seems like the best place to a ask: Stihl or Husky?

I am currently running an MS 440 2005 vintage and the old girl ain't what she used to be. should I rebuild this or upgrade to a bigger saw (my preference). I'd like one that doesn't have microprocessors in it which puts the Stihls behind the 8-ball.

Thanks in advance.

God bless America

I am currently running an MS 440 2005 vintage and the old girl ain't what she used to be. should I rebuild this or upgrade to a bigger saw (my preference). I'd like one that doesn't have microprocessors in it which puts the Stihls behind the 8-ball.

Thanks in advance.

God bless America

Both make great pro grade saws. I run Stihl because I have a fantastic dealer close by. That may help with your decision.

Reactions: oneshot86
Dump trailer was by far the best investment I ever made in doing firewood... No more loading by hand and unloading by hand into and out of a truck bed or landscape trailer. The bed floor of that can take loading big logs in with a skid steer or FEL. I added some taller sides to mine (rough cut hemlock) and a roll up tarp to the front (like you have) to keep from blowing saw chips and debris out while hauling. Trailer's rated for 14K, which leaves me with about 10K available load... don't think I'll ever get that much wood into it, but stone adds up quick when I have to haul that.

Have fun sharpening carbide chain. Only done with a grinder, and you'll chew threw wheels fast. I have a couple carbide chains for cutting garbage (like where a chain link fence is in the tree, and there's no other way to cut it. When I sharpen, I have to dress the wheel once or twice on the same chain to keep the profile consistent. If you go thru one side of teeth, and don't dress before hitting the other side, you'll have a saw that'll cut circles... Its still limited in it's life (carbide inserts aren't very big), and you'll rip off the inserts, or break the chain entirely if you hit something really hard (rocks, hard steels, etc.).

Unless it's a lot of nasty metal, you're better off with just running cheap semi chisel chain, and sharpening more often.

And carbide doesn't cut near as well as a good sharp steel chain. My father in law bought one because he wanted a chain that stayed sharper longer. It did do that but didn't cut great

Reactions: MotorOilMcCall

Thanks in advance.

God bless America
If you like the saw you have, it just needs refreshing and more power. Take a look at Master Mind Work Saws. Out of Tennessee. He can do whatever you want. You can bump it to a 460/461 size and have it ported. I have a 461 that MMWS ported it is amazing how much more is a saw it is over my 441r. The m-tronic gen2 are much better than the first gens. My 441r-c is m-tronic I would buy another one.
CF2D5C07-A1B8-4C66-9F8D-F0E660FFAD1D.jpeg
E7DCECAC-CE4B-4DD7-879B-47C5F5DBDD28.jpeg

Reactions: timesublime
Some gathering from today. Just over the top of the wood you can see the Tanana river ice road, Wes a good day. Had one of my boys 7 years old with. Going to make a fine hand. Used my ported 261 and some square grind Stihl.
E4D41C8F-9054-4CE8-B1A8-3EE6194E1AED.jpeg
60AD2897-4D2E-4CC3-9FE4-CD45BDDA6E84.jpeg
CBD10C2C-8DEC-4E52-A408-59B14912951B.jpeg

He rolled every round from where they were cut over to the sleigh, so I could load up. When we got home Mom had some moose steak, home made Mac and cheese, couple vegetables. Every time I looked over his eyes were just about closed. Some how he managed to eat and fall asleep at the table.