• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

I originally posted this in my thread with the Mikes from Tampa over in the Pit, but figgered it should be cross posted here as well.

I was helping @oneshot86 process a pile of firewood and ended up in a position where the layout and obstacles put me into a situation where a couple of cuts left handed seemed to be in order. I try to NEVER cut left handed, but decided to do it in this case. I was dead assed wrong to do it and could have paid dearly for it were it not for the chaps.

I was cutting up around chest level with a 28" bar, keeping far enough back from the pile to avoid any falling logs. On the final cut I got a little bit of pinch, which I'd anticipated, and goosed the throttle to clear the cut. I came out of the cut (up around chest height) and brought the saw down across my front like "normal". HOWEVER, because I was an idiot and cutting wrong-handed, the blade side of the saw was nearest me. So instead of the pull starter resting against my waist, the clutch cover and still decelerating chain came down on my leg:

IMG_2267.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG

I caught the very top of the Kevlar panel and into the unprotected nylon at the crotch. Had the Kevlar not dead-stopped the chain, I would've not only destroyed my upper thigh but also cut off my dick.

It was nearly fatal reminder of why saws are right hand only, and the value of a pair of $100 chaps vs untold medical expenses. In this case I was 500 miles from home, with the missus in Boston. I'd have been hospitalized and undergoing surgeries (if I survived) and would've seriously cramped oneshot's style for quite a while. Instead, we had a nervous chuckle at how lucky I was; drank a beer; chain smoked a pack of adrenaline cigs; and re-sharpened the chain.

Chaps aren't an excuse to abandon good practices, but in this case they sure as hell saved me from a bad decision and I got to learn a lesson without bloodshed.

i cant get over how beautiful it is u there in the pnw
im getting ready to have anouther big fire in a couple days, love it

Reactions: 1J04
i cant get over how beautiful it is u there in the pnw
im getting ready to have anouther big fire in a couple days, love it

Thx buddy. It is absolutely beautiful. Notice the target backers spaced 100 yds apart? :giggle: Love it. Too many Elk have died right there. And I'm talking a shit load of them. Back there behind the 300 yd backer is some timber we call the island of trees. Then there's another little piece of field behind there where the Elk love to hang out. That's where my buddy killed the former #2 Muzzle Loader State Record. Now it's #3 I believe. 7x10 Roosevelt. The River isn't 6 paces right behind us here and it's a dead end road. They think they're safe after the shooting starts up in the hills. It's a Honey Hole. :cool:

1523384471361.png

We burn a fair amount of walnut. Grows like a weed here. Sucks you dulled a chain, but, cost of doing business I guess.

Thx buddy. It is absolutely beautiful. Notice the target backers spaced 100 yds apart? :giggle: Love it. Too many Elk have died right there. And I'm talking a shit load of them. Back there behind the 300 yd backer is some timber we call the island of trees. Then there's another little piece of field behind there where the Elk love to hang out. That's where my buddy killed the former #2 Muzzle Loader State Record. Now it's #3 I believe. 7x10 Roosevelt. The River isn't 6 paces right behind us here and it's a dead end road. They think they're safe after the shooting starts up in the hills. It's a Honey Hole. :cool:

View attachment 6892708

no jack a lope, fer christssake

After decades of swinging a saw around wearing nothing but a pair of blue jeans, I ordered a set of chaps (thanks to this thread) from TreeStuff. Tossed in a helmet with face shield and an arm guard as well. I guess I’m on the road to becoming responsible (or at least coming to terms with my age). Now, if some of the two feet of snow thats still hanging around up north would melt a bit, I might just be able to get up there and do some work.

After a month of languishing in the shop waiting for a gasket, my old MacPro is purring along and ready for serious work too.

Appreciate all the info in this thread.

Best smelling chips in the whole wide world (in my opinion ?). Shagbark Hickory.

View attachment 6895265View attachment 6895266

I've never had the pleasure of cutting shagbark hickory, but the "funnest" tree I've smelled was these massive Sassafrass trees we get down here. They smell like root beer, and by extension you finish the day covered in sawdust smelling of root beer.

What's distinctive about the shagbark's smell?

@eicas , congrats on getting the MacPro going. The chaps are definitely an individual choice. It sounds like a few of us have been saved by them and a ton of us have never had a need of them.

Reactions: Barneybdb
For the past several days I've had a tree company on my street taking down trees for neighbors. It drives me nuts because almost all the time these are big beautiful oaks that get the death sentence when a suburbanite moves in and doesn't want to rake the leaves from trees that have been here for a century.

I'd talked to the company a couple of times about them just dumping the trees in my back yard and I'd process them for firewood. As it turns out this is one of the only tree companies in town that also bothers to mess with firewood themselves. Finally the owner told me that if I wanted trees dumped in my yard that I should pay him for them. We went round and round on that with me refusing to pay for someone else's fucking tree.

Yesterday I got home from work to find that he'd "hooked me up" by dumping several tons of the biggest, gnarliest, knottiest, branches and trunks in a twisted mess in my backyard.
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG

I've watched for several days how's his loader sorts their cuttings, so I know this had to be the "special" pile of shit they'd never try to process. But I guess I can't be too pissed, and when it's all said and done, it's gonna be a lot of firewood.

Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
id cut a heart out of a couple pounder, and fire that bitch through his truck window

If you saw his equipment and employees, I doubt he'd even notice.

The goal is to establish a solid relationship with one or two companies like you've got. Until then, I'll just have to happy with trees I didn't have to cut and haul myself. Although now that I've got access to a skid steer with grapple, and a mini excavator, the hauling becomes a lot more approachable on big trees.

just call around, the tree guys are begging for a free and easy place to dump...and they give me the wood like i want it, for the most part...

i get new guys wanting to dump weekly, and most are cool, the ones that arent get fuckin sent down the road...

none the less, you do have some good wood to make splits out of

and a badass saw to work with

just call around, the tree guys are begging for a free and easy place to dump...and they give me the wood like i want it, for the most part...

i get new guys wanting to dump weekly, and most are cool, the ones that arent get fuckin sent down the road...

none the less, you do have some good wood to make splits out of

and a badass saw to work with

Yeah, a lot of this crap is in the 30-40" range, so that big mofo is gonna get a workout, as is the MS260 Pro that @Icallem sent me. That bitch screams with the 16" bar.

Edit: one of the gems I got was a MASSIVE length of live oak, I really wish I were properly equipped with a mill to slab this thing out.

After decades of swinging a saw around wearing nothing but a pair of blue jeans, I ordered a set of chaps (thanks to this thread) from TreeStuff. Tossed in a helmet with face shield and an arm guard as well. I guess I’m on the road to becoming responsible (or at least coming to terms with my age). Now, if some of the two feet of snow thats still hanging around up north would melt a bit, I might just be able to get up there and do some work.

After a month of languishing in the shop waiting for a gasket, my old MacPro is purring along and ready for serious work too.

Appreciate all the info in this thread.

Money well spent on the PPE! Hope ya’ never need it.

I've never had the pleasure of cutting shagbark hickory, but the "funnest" tree I've smelled was these massive Sassafrass trees we get down here. They smell like root beer, and by extension you finish the day covered in sawdust smelling of root beer.

What's distinctive about the shagbark's smell?

@eicas , congrats on getting the MacPro going. The chaps are definitely an individual choice. It sounds like a few of us have been saved by them and a ton of us have never had a need of them.

Rich, nutty, aromatic smell without being pungent like Walnut. A lot BBQ places use it for smoking. I beleive Hickory is a member of the Pecan family. Extremely high BTU output.

Working it up isn’t as pleasant as that bark is hard and bits fly off as the bar chain first hits it. Definitely want your shield down. Climbers hate ‘em as their spikes won’t dig in, ropes catch on the bark, etc...

Rich, nutty, aromatic smell without being pungent like Walnut. A lot BBQ places use it for smoking. I beleive Hickory is a member of the Pecan family. Extremely high BTU output.

Working it up isn’t as pleasant as that bark is hard and bits fly off as the bar chain first hits it. Definitely want your shield down. Climbers hate ‘em as their spikes won’t dig in, ropes catch on the bark, etc...
But the ribs turn out so damn good!!

I took on a project awhile back to help out our elderly neighbors. Their timber (directly across the road from us) had encroached nearly into the traveled portion of the roadway. This is the southern edge of the timber, so trees being trees, they will seek the sun the easy way as opposed to growing straight up. This has involved a ton of limping, hauling brush, ladder work, etc... Very little yield for us, but I enjoy running saw and the exercise.

Today, I had a blow down hung up in another tree that I figured the saw would just burn through. Three cuts, haul it out and move on. The saw hit making nice chips! Score! Black Cherry seasoned up off the ground, no bark, etc... Ended up with several loader bucket loads. I’ll take it.

36CD9BF3-E975-47DB-B9DA-76133DF6E490.jpeg

And another question Gino, do you really travel the fair circuit and cut wood, or, play for the Colorado Rockies?

632CFC9A-1C4F-484C-A380-F35D8A83E81E.png

Most of that wood will end up for campfire I'd imagine. Might put it in the wood monster if there's some wet stuff that needs burnt up. It burns pretty hot like pine but without the build up in the chimney.

I played baseball when I was young. Was pretty good too. But sadly, no, I actually have to work for a living. I don't get to play a game and get paid for it.

I'm a total amateur compared to most in this thread. I run a Stihl MS 251C and use it mostly for cleaning up trees/brush/debris around my property as well as firewood cutting. I definitely have the firewood hoarding bug though. Driving down the road, my eyes are immediately caught by downed trees, and I think to myself, "How can I get my hands on that?" I live where winters are mild and a fireplace or wood burning stove is sufficient to heat the house to comfortable temps on even the coldest of days. Not to mention the fact that I could cook with it if power ever got knocked out long-term. I can't help but take every opportunity to add to the woodpile though. Something about it is just satisfying.

Reactions: mtrmn
I'm a total amateur compared to most in this thread. I run a Stihl MS 251C and use it mostly for cleaning up trees/brush/debris around my property as well as firewood cutting. I definitely have the firewood hoarding bug though. Driving down the road, my eyes are immediately caught by downed trees, and I think to myself, "How can I get my hands on that?" I live where winters are mild and a fireplace or wood burning stove is sufficient to heat the house to comfortable temps on even the coldest of days. Not to mention the fact that I could cook with it if power ever got knocked out long-term. I can't help but take every opportunity to add to the woodpile though. Something about it is just satisfying.

That's funny about the trees on the side of the road, I do the same damn thing.

Reactions: Bullfroggy

You have the sickness brother ?

Reactions: Bullfroggy
we are fucking murdering the pile

summer is all most here, i can tell

Agreed. I was screwing around in my meager pile the other day and the humidity is definitely creeping in.
We had one hell of a Spring though, unlike most of the country, so I can't be mad.

IMG_1560.JPG
Got about 8 1/2 cord done today.
IMG_1559.JPG
father in law is over 60 and never learned to sharpen his own chain. He just buys a bunch and takes them in to get done.
IMG_1558.JPG
The 441 one got a workout today.

My back did too. 5 hours on the saw, we'll see how it feels in the morning

View attachment 6902814Got about 8 1/2 cord done today.View attachment 6902816father in law is over 60 and never learned to sharpen his own chain. He just buys a bunch and takes them in to get done.View attachment 6902817The 441 one got a workout today.

My back did too. 5 hours on the saw, we'll see how it feels in the morning
That’s a helluva’ pile for a days work! Good grief, I don’t do that in a YEAR. I finished splitting just today myself. Getting too warm for this type of work for me. Cleaned up the splitter, changed oil in it, and I’m done until late fall.