• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

I’ve been running a Couple different huztl/farmertech/holzforma 660 for about 2 years now. These are 100% to spec copies of out of date stihl pro saws (066, ms660,661)You can run oem parts in any combination if you want. Most of the farmertech (ft) parts are fine but some small things like chain tensioner you want oem.
The big plus of these copies is that you can get a running 92 cc saw for about $225 shipped. The catch is you put it together bolt for bolt. It’s easy and there’s tons of YouTube videos. If that isn’t your cup of tea they also sell fully assembled (but ugly dark blue) versions of these saws that are exactly the same as the kits and oem, just assembled. Those run around 325$ shipped.
I bought a big bore 56 mm piston kit for mine and I’ve milled quite a bit with it. I ran a 36” bar for a while then got into a 42 for bigger logs. It pulls a 42” chain fine. What I’ve found is that the chain sharpness, tooth profile, tooth sequence, and filing consistency are much more important than bar length/horsepower. You wouldn’t try and filet 200 bluegill with a rusty machete. Sharp precise chain is essential. I can provide some good places to start if you want.
ft is also going to be soon putting out their version of the stihl 880 and that would make a much better milling power plant but it’s still in the works. They also sell all the parts for a stihl 090 which is like 137cc or something crazy. It’s designed for torque which is what you want to mill, I just haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet.
the shipping from China seems sketchy I know but they actually are very reliable and pretty great withCS
Where do you find these kits? I would like to take a look at these for a diy slab mill.

Reactions: Mr. Z
Swedish torch I made.
It's ok, I like a much bigger fire tho
20200503_230933.jpg

Any feed back on chain saw mills??
Ones to avoid or ones that are sturdier.
Need a good sized one. Atleast 36"

Anyone here used carbide chain?

Sold an old pole barn on my property to a little prick. Part of the deal was he clean up the mess. He salvaged all the 1x and dumped the rest on the ground. Figure I'll cut the posts and solid 2x into firewood. Catch is it is filled with nails.

I've got a signed contract that states the mess will be cleaned up. I'm going to take a whack at small claims court but I'm pretty sure I've got an 8-1/2x11 piece of toilet paper.

I really don't have time for this shit.
I have a carbide on one of my smaller saws. They work. Hit a rock and the teeth bust and they’re junk. They don’t cut as fast as a normal chain but they do stay sharp longer

Looking for a "camp ax".

Bigger than a hatchet.

A two hand ax

Something "pretty".

Like my Hults Bruk hatchet - hand forged with great steel.

Whats out there that is first functional second pleasing to the eye?

Reactions: oneshot86
Looking for a "camp ax".

Bigger than a hatchet.

A two hand ax

Something "pretty".

Like my Hults Bruk hatchet - hand forged with great steel.

Whats out there that is first functional second pleasing to the eye?
Maybe a Outdoor $183, Hunters $187, Small forest $173, or Scandinavian forest $193. Personally I want an American felling $259.

Maybe a Outdoor $183, Hunters $187, Small forest $173, or Scandinavian forest $193. Personally I want an American felling $259.

Yes they make beautiful products.

Ive checked them out before definitely one Im considering.

I saw one made in US, similar work/quality.

You of all folks should get an American one!!

I have it written down at home in my book of useful information. Will try to remember to grab it out.

I saw one made in US, similar work/quality.

You of all folks should get an American one!!

I have it written down at home in my book of useful information. Will try to remember to grab it out.

Please do.

Looking for not too heavy, less finger chopper/shin splitter than a hatchet, good for taking a full swing on wet camp logs, nice carved linseed oiled handle - no varnish/poly - I like maintenance or as I refer to it - Care.

Not available right now.

I have read of this one before and again this year.

Seems like top end stuff.

Like the hatchet to your Randall

That Garrett Wade store has some neat stuff, like Mile High for woodworking geeks.

Reactions: powdahound76
Yes, I like that kinda stuff. Kinda like driving up to Mile High (40 min drive) to get stuff and ogle the other stuff I cannot buy.....

That hatchet is darn cool though. I think there are a couple others. I know the Estwing is as sexy (though I do like them if you can get one with the leather wrapped handle) but they are good quality and get the vote a lot of the time.

Go here: https://www.hoffmanblacksmithing.com/pre-ordering-1

I am kinda digging that Trapper Hatchet. 1.5 lb head vs 1.25, hammer on the back, 15" handle.......

Last edited:

Not available right now.

I have read of this one before and again this year.

Seems like top end stuff.

Like the hatchet to your Randall

Looks like I missed the camp ax order by a week.

Ive seen that smith on Youtube.

He seems dedicated to his art and wants to get others interested in the trade of smithing.

30 years ago, the "Lee-Valley Catalogue" was THE shit for fine woodworking tools. From forest to furniture. Alas, over the years they have been 'whittled down'. The main office is right here in this city, and it sure ain't what they used to be.

Not near as much 'on hand' and quite often it's a "on backorder" sort of thing. IF you can actually get a quality tool, then jump on it when you can. Not near as prevalent as they used to be.

I've been using a Gransfors Brux small forest axe for splitting down logs for kindling and trimming up trails for about 10 years now.

Hands down one of the best purchases I've made! I picked up the Hunter hatchet a couple years back as well...next will probably be a felling axe.

You can't really go wrong with a Gransfors Brux or a Hults Bruk, scandinavian axes made the old school way, and each one is stamped with it's makers initials.

Reactions: pmclaine
I want one of the Gransfors Bruks bowl carving adze, such an awesome tool for hollowing our bowls and troughs really fast. They are never in stock anywhere even at over $300 us. I went so far as planning a mission to a small village in Germany (only dealer in the entire country) when I was sent there for work, but I couldn’t convince our driver/translator to get me there.

Helping out the old folks today (in wind and blowing mist 👎🏻). Had 4 small Spruce (dead standing) to drop as well as other work. Figured it was a good time to school Ty on proper felling in a safe environment. I showed him on the first one, the next 3 were his. His 3rd had good cuts and went where he wanted them to go. Life skills.
4AB04321-875A-4D91-96E9-8A2F84FE537D.jpeg

IMG_20200517_145547000_HDR.jpg

Cleared some dead fall off my road yesterday, this one pictured was a gnarly one that took some effort to de-limb. As I was dragging the branches away, one branch grabbed my glassed off my face and flung them in the woods, then another got me square in the nose like someone punched me.

Screenshot_20200521-082952.png

Snow in the forecast this weekend, so I'll be lighting up the wood burner.

I got a new splitter from my BIL. He sold firewood for 10 years until his supply hookup retired. Sold 120 cords/season last few years.

This was his favorite and last one he kept, he had multiples when he was in business.

Almost gave it to me, runs perfect and new battery to boot.
I think I’ll re-do the tongue and coupler but other than that it’s perfect for me. I have borrowed it many times and it is a monster. Twisted black gum isn’t even a problem so all the oaks at my new farm will be cake. 14HP Kohler.

FB92D45D-BC16-4F7D-9C5A-C77D42E0BF73.jpeg
2340A007-9651-4D63-97BC-C528F200F121.jpeg

What do you think a lightning strike does the the figure of black walnut? It’s still very much alive a couple years later and right next to the wood stack worst case if it’s toothpicks.View attachment 7346363
Here’s one we did last spring. About the same size. Probably smoldered for a while.
36F2C8B1-DB3F-41AE-B0C4-96D45CC77043.jpeg

Yes, Lodgepole Pine. We had a Pine Beatle epidemic roll through this area starting about 15-years ago. All those dead trees are now starting to come down in large numbers, both from the bases rotting, and from Carpenter Ants.

I have a lifetime supply of firewood. If it's not in the way, I tend to let the standing dead stay standing, and harvest the ones that come down. The standing dead tend to remain good and dry, and maintain BTUs.

Last edited: