• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Well hell...another delayed surprise from “Chuck”. He was a great friend with a subtle sense of humor and a flair for the hidden treasure. He left me a few other things too. For example: an SKS and a Remington 600 .35rem both made in my birth year (1963). He never mention these facts, but I dont think they are coincidence. He was that kind of guy. The Mac I actually got from him before he passed. One day, after helping him cut some trees on his property he told me to keep it as it (was getting too heavy for him). Since it’s such a beast, I never gave it too much thought. That was my ONLY saw until a number of years back when I myself needed something a bit lighter and found the Stihl’s. When I got something that really needs cuttin’ I bring it out.

Enough of the backstory.

Thanks. I will give Bailey’s a call. I don’t want to get too obnoxious with it, but a 24” or so would be nice. Still have the original chain guard, owners manual and needle oiler for it too. I’d post a pic here, but have never had much luck on this site doing it.

I appreciate the help.

Any opinions on the Cannon brand of bars?

I just saw them discussed in a random thread on Arboristsite. They're apparently well regarded, with at least one guy over there saying that they're tougher than Stihl factory bars in long lengths. They were discussing 60"-96" bars and the comment was that the Cannons were far more rigid and less prone to bending.

A search over there may bring up some more info.

Bogey,

I'm glad you started this thread. I used to log so I ran Stihl's and Husky's (or is it Husqy's?)

So I thought I'd throw in a little "eye candy" in for you back in my prime (years after my prime). Me doing my 12 cords a year :cool:
DSC_0945.jpg
I'm running a Husqvarna 365XP BTW

Last edited:
Bogey,

I'm glad you started this thread. I used to log so I ran Stihl's and Husky's (or is it Husqy's?)

Thanks bro, it just seemed like a hobby, passion, common interest, whatever that a number of us shared. The arborist forums are incredible resources, but those guys are so far over my head that I figured a "training wheels" version for those of us that don't build our own saws might be fun and mildly informative.

I edited my post after you posted.

Yeah, no need for a "custom" saw. The manufacturers do a pretty good job of building saws for the various tasks and users. The only custom saws I can see a need for is the race guys. But, they rebuild after every race day, or every race sometimes.

I had to say, back when I logged, I loved doing it. If you were careful and didn't get smashed, it was about the best "health" job I ever had. Packin' a saw and jugs up and down hills. Soft ground underneath (usually) so as not to further destroy my knees. And good repetetive work that built muscle.

As for "needing" a custom saw, that's what I found funny on the chainsaw forums was that they were like us with rifles. "Need" has little to do with our willingness to spend time and money chasing mechanical improvements.

I never logged, but developed my passion and what tiny skill I possess while cutting line for a survey company. We'd hump saws and hand tools through the swamps of the Atchafalaya Basin waist deep in mud and snakes. Cutting trees below the water line and getting them to fall where you needed them was a great mental challenge. When I wasn't cutting I was running an airboat, having to hang off the front of the boat and cut trees for access lanes through the swamp.

The downside was that I learned very little about fixing saws because we had a Conex full of brand new Stihls and a full time mechanic keeping them running for us. If my saw from yesterday was dead or being repaired they just handed me a new saw or a newly rebuilt saw. Other than sharpening chains and basic maintenance I missed out on a lot of knowledge

As for "needing" a custom saw, that's what I found funny on the chainsaw forums was that they were like us with rifles. "Need" has little to do with our willingness to spend time and money chasing mechanical improvements.

I never logged, but developed my passion and what tiny skill I possess while cutting line for a survey company. We'd hump saws and hand tools through the swamps of the Atchafalaya Basin waist deep in mud and snakes. Cutting trees below the water line and getting them to fall where you needed them was a great mental challenge. When I wasn't cutting I was running an airboat, having to hang off the front of the boat and cut trees for access lanes through the swamp.

The downside was that I learned very little about fixing saws because we had a Conex full of brand new Stihls and a full time mechanic keeping them running for us. If my saw from yesterday was dead or being repaired they just handed me a new saw or a newly rebuilt saw. Other than sharpening chains and basic maintenance I missed out on a lot of knowledge

That qualifies as about as hard core as it gets. I never cut trees while standing in anything deeper than ankle deep and didn't have to reach under the surface. I did log in mid-winter down near Saratoga, Wy for a little while and we were sent to a unit right at the timberline. We'd ride to the top of the ridge on the skidders then jump off and fall all the way down. The skidder would follow us down picking up logs until he was full, then take that drag to the landing. We woller down the snow a ways falling and the skidders would follow us some more. It was weird as we had to fall top to bottom and not crosswise on our strips. That was the only way a skidder could follow us. So, a few times at the top of the ridge, I'd jump off and the only thing sticking out of the snow was my hard hat. The skidder had to make a short pass next to me so I could get out. Below that snowcap on the ridge the snow varied from knee to waist deep. PITA, all day long.

Just look at all the moral fibre that built though Sandwarrior! I have more wintertime logging stories than I can share over a box of bier. Falling timber on snowshoes the winter of 72-73, having the timbco shovel stumps for me in the Lochsa, winter of 97-98. Yeah big fun.

Just look at all the moral fibre that built though Sandwarrior! I have more wintertime logging stories than I can share over a box of bier. Falling timber on snowshoes the winter of 72-73, having the timbco shovel stumps for me in the Lochsa, winter of 97-98. Yeah big fun.

cav,

That was the job a piss fir I was dumping, had it's lower branches go through my right snowshoe and pin it. I was stuck and damn if the wind didn't rotate and blow that tree right over the top of me. Good thing there was a giant snowbank behind me. As I dove in the direction I thought was best, the tree started at my chainsaw in my left hand rolling right and left a cartoon-ish imprint of me spread eagled against the snow bank. Lucky to come out of that one alive.

Last edited:
Death by pissfir...wrong on so many levels. The good thing about tripping piss fir in deep snow, the snow is a lot easier to shovel under neath. The bad thing is you are down in a hole that is damn hard to get out of. Not to mention you can't see the top while you are cutting.

Can’t help myself; saw a guy selling a rebuilt Husky 350 on the other forum, and snapped it up. Got some trees that need cutting at work, and with this cold snap I could use some firewood. Now the waiting game begins again until it gets in my hands

Can’t help myself; saw a guy selling a rebuilt Husky 350 on the other forum, and snapped it up. Got some trees that need cutting at work, and with this cold snap I could use some firewood. Now the waiting game begins again until it gets in my hands

Nice! Of my 5 saws I think I have one in good running condition at the moment. There's a strong chance I'll be selling or trading at least 2 or 3 of the small ones in order to pick up one small dependable limbing-sized pro saw.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Nice! Of my 5 saws I think I have one in good running condition at the moment. There's a strong chance I'll be selling or trading at least 2 or 3 of the small ones in order to pick up one small dependable limbing-sized pro saw.

Sounds like your hooked now. I wanted a pro grade but after asking around, a 350 seemed to be a nice “holdover” until I can penny up for a 550, 562, or even a 365.

Which pro are you considering?

Had to come to handle some family business, and saw Dad has a PILE of wood begging to be cut and split. I may have to take another vacation and help him out.

I should have put this here in the first place for OneShot86.

1516572769570.png

1516572791856.png

Getter Done Homeboy.

Sounds like your hooked now. I wanted a pro grade but after asking around, a 350 seemed to be a nice “holdover” until I can penny up for a 550, 562, or even a 365.

I really kind of look at that 350 of yours as a pro saw they don't give the designation to, in the same way that the 365 is almost identical these days to the 372 but doesn't get the "pro" label. It's actually the same engine that Husky de-tunes to strip HP and charge more for the 372.

I haven't pinned down where I'd go next. In the new lineup the 543 is pretty slick, but the need to potentially replace my small saw just arose so I haven't dug into some of the older limbing saw models. I did run the 435T a while back and that is a ridiculously zippy little saw that I might consider for both my top handle and general small saw, but who am I kidding, I'm past the point of rational on saws.

Which pro are you considering?
Anyone live in Portland Oregon are? I just moved to the northwest and I have a wood stove and no chainsaw ?

Well that's just wrong, you need to fix that quickly.

Bogey,

What you said, as well as others, is why I began looking for a 350. The one I snagged off the Arborist site was rebuilt, and the video he had posted showed it zipping through some wood.

For a pro saw, I’m partial to a 365. I ran one for a few years working for my cousin at his tree service. He offered to sell it to me, and I should have got it then. If not a 365, I’ve been hearing good things about the 550XP being almost as good as the old 346, or if I want a 60cc the 562xp would be nice as well.

ajv35xx,

Funny you mention the 350. I haven't run one of those. But, the motor in the 365 being the same as the 372 wasn't really stripped down, it's the same as the 272. I used to run a 272 and an 044 Stihl, and the 365 is the same as them. 6bhp.

The 365XP is considered a pro saw. A light/medium falling or heavy landing saw. It costs $200 more than the same "Rancher" model that doesn't have the power or beefed up frame.

ajv35xx,

Funny you mention the 350. I haven't run one of those. But, the motor in the 365 being the same as the 372 wasn't really stripped down, it's the same as the 272. I used to run a 272 and an 044 Stihl, and the 365 is the same as them. 6bhp.

The 365XP is considered a pro saw. A light/medium falling or heavy landing saw. It costs $200 more than the same "Rancher" model that doesn't have the power or beefed up frame.

Kind of.

Husqvarna has played around with the 365 over the years, even making a 365 "Special" a while ago. The new models use the same top end as the 372xp but with a smaller air filter and "low top" case. What they did was add a baffle of sorts in the transfer port covers that acts as a restrictor and cuts its hp to 4.8 vs 5.5 in the 372 IIRC. Removing the caps and dremeling out the baffle effectively turns it into a 372. (That's info gleaned elsewhere and I'm in now way qualified to debate chainsaw engines).

As yet, they haven't come out with a 365xp, but the current model is the 365 x-torq . I think it's more marketing than anything that they're holding the 365 out of the pro line, since almost all of the parts and accessories are interchangeable with the 372xp.

The 365 used to be considered one of the best values out there, costing hundreds less than the 372. Nowadays the prices are very close. If I'd had any more pennies in my piggy bank I could've gotten the 372xp for about $100 more.

Our Honey Badger Brother just sent this. He was up a little late. :giggle: I'll let him fill ya in.

1516640558637.png

Kind of.

Husqvarna has played around with the 365 over the years, even making a 365 "Special" a while ago. The new models use the same top end as the 372xp but with a smaller air filter and "low top" case. What they did was add a baffle of sorts in the transfer port covers that acts as a restrictor and cuts its hp to 4.8 vs 5.5 in the 372 IIRC. Removing the caps and dremeling out the baffle effectively turns it into a 372. (That's info gleaned elsewhere and I'm in now way qualified to debate chainsaw engines).

As yet, they haven't come out with a 365xp, but the current model is the 365 x-torq . I think it's more marketing than anything that they're holding the 365 out of the pro line, since almost all of the parts and accessories are interchangeable with the 372xp.

The 365 used to be considered one of the best values out there, costing hundreds less than the 372. Nowadays the prices are very close. If I'd had any more pennies in my piggy bank I could've gotten the 372xp for about $100 more.

The 365 I ran back in the day had a 28” bar and it ripped. For a non “pro” saw it never gave me issues. Still kicking myself for not buying it for $300.

If I was still here in the northeast where I’d be falling, bucking, and working on selling cords of wood, I’d be all over a 365 again, or even a 372. My dad tends to get some big wood delivered to the farm to be quartered/cut and then split. For what I do down in the south, something with an 18/20” bar is probably all I would ever need, hence why I like how the 550 or 562XP look. While almost, they started putting silver on the saws and to me, it just looks “off” compared to the old orange on everything

^ The older (like early 80's) husqvarnas were orange and white, kind of similar to stihls.

Welp, just got back from the shop and they're still troubleshooting my new 455 figuring out why it scored a cylinder, but the mechanic assured me that the problem was from the factory and not on me, so Husky will be paying for a new top end on it.

My little saw, the 435 decided to puke all of its bar oil onto the ground with no provocation, which is a bit infuriating, if that's something I can't fix on my own then I think I'm scrapping it, along with both of my 142 project saws. A couple of posts up we were talking about smaller cc saw options. I asked the mechanic his opinion on what he likes in the 30-40cc range and he said that in small saws he recommends Stihl, in medium he prefers Husky, and big saws he feels it's just personal preference. So i may be looking to add a little White into my Orange brigade.

Welp, just got back from the shop and they're still troubleshooting my new 455 figuring out why it scored a cylinder, but the mechanic assured me that the problem was from the factory and not on me, so Husky will be paying for a new top end on it.

My little saw, the 435 decided to puke all of its bar oil onto the ground with no provocation, which is a bit infuriating, if that's something I can't fix on my own then I think I'm scrapping it, along with both of my 142 project saws. A couple of posts up we were talking about smaller cc saw options. I asked the mechanic his opinion on what he likes in the 30-40cc range and he said that in small saws he recommends Stihl, in medium he prefers Husky, and big saws he feels it's just personal preference. So i may be looking to add a little White into my Orange brigade.

Did it come out of the oil reservoir or out of somewhere else? Not to familiar with the 435, but maybe the oilers in itself failed? If so it could be a cheap fix or even maybe still under warranty?

bogey,

That sounds like a cracked or split housing. Like where the frame meets didn't get sealed right On a Stihl that is a replaceable plastic part...but not inexpensive.

My little 2166 Jred. Picked up used. Ground out the transfer plate restrictor, muffler modded and retuned.

Attachments

• 895BB67B-39FB-4931-94B3-0D0774824015.jpeg
    895BB67B-39FB-4931-94B3-0D0774824015.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 74F117A2-4B3E-48CA-9EE8-C2B57059CA3E.jpeg
    74F117A2-4B3E-48CA-9EE8-C2B57059CA3E.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
IMG_1157.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG
We go through 10-12 cord a winter. 15-30 pieces a day depending on the temp. Used to split by hand until I had kids. Now a splitter saves a lot of time until the boys get full sized

Last edited:
Reactions: tnichols
All that is kept inter a 16x60' lean to that we added to the side of our little building. Most saw work is a stihl 440. Everything is cut to 22" so they can be double row stacked in the metal baskets and moved with a forklift
IMG_1155.JPG

Reactions: 1J04 and tnichols
My little 2166 Jred. Picked up used. Ground out the transfer plate restrictor, muffler modded and retuned.

Beautiful work removing the baffle, and thanks for posting the pics. Not sure if you saw the discussion above about turning the 365 / 2166 into a 372, but that was exactly what we were talking about. To what extent did you mod the muffler? My 365 has a lot of warranty left on it, so I'm not going to touch the transfer plates anytime soon, but have considered modding an aftermarket muffler to hopefully bump performance a bit.

For the rest of y'all. I ran into @Greene on another forum selling a 338 Lapua in the chainsaw ads, which definitely caught my attention.

@oneshot86 , @Geno C. Is definitely in the game, like a boss. I'm definitely gaining a new level of respect for what it takes to get cords of wood split and put away. I'm starting to look at smaller used tractors to improve my humble little operation. I showed the missus some grapple trailers I'd found online and she was enthralled, which just leaves that pesky "paying for it" part.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Beautiful work removing the baffle, and thanks for posting the pics. Not sure if you saw the discussion above about turning the 365 / 2166 into a 372, but that was exactly what we were talking about. To what extent did you mod the muffler? My 365 has a lot of warranty left on it, so I'm not going to touch the transfer plates anytime soon, but have considered modding an aftermarket muffler to hopefully bump performance a bit.

For the rest of y'all. I ran into @Greene on another forum selling a 338 Lapua in the chainsaw ads, which definitely caught my attention.

@oneshot86 , @Geno C. Is definitely in the game, like a boss. I'm definitely gaining a new level of respect for what it takes to get cords of wood split and put away. I'm starting to look at smaller used tractors to improve my humble little operation. I showed the missus some grapple trailers I'd found online and she was enthralled, which just leaves that pesky "paying for it" part.

Yes sir, I noticed the conversation about the conversion and hoped the pictures would help.. I added another port to the side of the muffler used deflector 503 58 99-01 and spark arrest screen 503 40 56-01. Looks like this one.

Attachments

• 0A233679-CD3A-4FF8-990C-C2AE652F1040.jpeg
    0A233679-CD3A-4FF8-990C-C2AE652F1040.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 61
That's a nice looking setup. FYI its really easy to add the deflector on the side. But it would be nice to be able to swap back to the factory in order to hide from your warranty also, if that is your goal. I also had to defeat the adjustment limiters on the carb in order to fully tune. Talked with Mastermind and he gave me a general rpm range to tune her at. Also I bought a tach since I don't trust myself to do it by ear.

That's a nice looking setup. FYI its really easy to add the deflector on the side. But it would be nice to be able to swap back to the factory in order to hide from your warranty also, if that is your goal. I also had to defeat the adjustment limiters on the carb in order to fully tune. Talked with Mastermind and he gave me a general rpm range to tune her at. Also I bought a tach since I don't trust myself to do it by ear.

Yeah, my goal is getting the saw running as well as it can within warranty limitations for now. With one saw in the shop right now being fully examined for a factory defect it was a huge relief that I hadn't done anything to void the warranty. The mechanic is doing everything he can for me, but he still had to document that I hadn't removed the limiters or anything like that. In fact, they found the scored piston because I'd taken it to the factory dealer for them to do the final tune on it after I'd run it in. I'd made some minor carb adjustments, but wanted him to throw it on a tach and make sure I hadn't left any unused power in it. When he found the piston issue I was legitimately like WTF? But at least I knew that I hadn't done anything to cause it.

Did it come out of the oil reservoir or out of somewhere else? Not to familiar with the 435, but maybe the oilers in itself failed? If so it could be a cheap fix or even maybe still under warranty?
bogey,

That sounds like a cracked or split housing. Like where the frame meets didn't get sealed right On a Stihl that is a replaceable plastic part...but not inexpensive.

Thanks guys, I'm really hoping it was just a result of the huge temperature swing we had the past few weeks and the pressure/temp that made it burp. I'm almost done cleaning off all the spilled oil and am going to refill it to see if it does it again. If so I'll pull the clutch and check the oil hose for a leak. If it's much beyond that, or some JB Weld on the housing, then I may be done putting money into this one.

If it has one of those handy dandy tool less oil caps like on the modern Stihls if you don't get it on exactly right it will fill your shoe with oil or gas.

Reactions: riverside jeep