• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

My feet were dry.
It is a good ways, but not too far.

Not a hotspot on my feet and did it with my kid on my shoulders.

Did see my friend get burned. She admitted she had done it before and wasnt mentally prepared that time.

4867B9E1-88B0-4DF5-B198-97E2110D4F08.jpeg
DEC3D9A8-AA19-4882-B7F8-78450E0EAEE6.jpeg
529B493F-9F16-4D19-BF34-FCEB43A176F8.jpeg

If you get your OWB at the right time it makes one hell of a grill.

How do you keep your owb from freezing its pipes when not in use / out of wood?

I would have to wait for the spring/fall time frame for grill time.

I run a glycol system so I don’t have to worry about outside temp. If OWB get to 164* the oil fired boiler kicks on.

Reactions: Snuby642
How do you keep your owb from freezing its pipes when not in use / out of wood?
The circulation pump always runs. So when you are out of wood, the water is still circulating through the heat exchanger in the furnace. This heats the water, as long as the pump doesn’t shut off your fine. I don’t run glycol because it’s expensive and doesn’t transfer heat as well as water.

If I lived up north and could use a system like that I would have to invent a system that could bleed off enough heat and smoke to run a cooking chamber on demand.

Reactions: rope
Glycol systems are run at a 50/50 with deionized water (standard mixture). The percentage can be different based off how the engineers designed the system. The coldest it been here in Alaska was -70* and a few months that it has not been above zero. I don’t know if anyone here that run a straight water system in the boiler, it’s to risky. If I lived south of Canada in the warmer climates I would run water also.

If I lived up north and could use a system like that I would have to invent a system that could bleed off enough heat and smoke to run a cooking chamber on demand.
The chimney pipe comes out the back of the boiler chest high. You could figure something out, when the draft door open and it start’s choochin… might give some issues with running a T off the back unless there was a cook chamber dampener. Would need a ash trap/screen before the smoke chamber.

Trying to smoke food off a boiler wouldn’t be good. You might have a fighting chance if you only used oak, hickory, or fruitwood. But my boiler got a diet of any wood that was available.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Glycol systems are run at a 50/50 with deionized water (standard mixture). The percentage can be different based off how the engineers designed the system. The coldest it been here in Alaska was -70* and a few months that it has not been above zero. I don’t know if anyone here that run a straight water system in the boiler, it’s to risky. If I lived south of Canada in the warmer climates I would run water also.
I’ve seen temps of -50, I really don’t see an issue if your equipment is in good shape.
My boiler has been dormant this year, with only the pump running and the furnace set on 60. Seen temps down to -30 and no issues at all with no glycol.

I could see that if you shut blower and dampener switch off. Otherwise it would be way, way done

I’ve seen temps of -50, I really don’t see an issue if your equipment is in good shape.
My boiler has been dormant this year, with only the pump running and the furnace set on 60. Seen temps down to -30 and no issues at all with no glycol.
Alaska doesn’t have a electrical grid like the 48 does. I live in a 1,200 person town, the power company is good. Each town is so far apart and on a town grid but not connected to another. However I am not going to risk a $15k boiler with running straight water. We lose power often, it’s been a bit since it was more than 24 hours. Yes I have a whole house generator, I don’t want the wife having issues. She has me and 4 kids and don’t need any more headaches in her life.😎

Alaska doesn’t have a electrical grid like the 48 does. I live in a 1,200 person town, the power company is good. Each town is so far apart and on a town grid but not connected to another. However I am not going to risk a $15k boiler with running straight water. We lose power often, it’s been a bit since it was more than 24 hours. Yes I have a whole house generator, I don’t want the wife having issues. She has me and 4 kids and don’t need any more headaches in her life.😎
I’d run glycol if I was in your shoes too.
How often do you need to add? Every year?

My wife has her own guns, her own fan club, at least half the bank cards, controll of the dogs, tv remote and all the pussy.

I get beer, whiskey half the ammo the offset smoker and the stapler for targets.

Occasionally I get to play with the dogs and pussy.

Life is good.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
I’d run glycol if I was in your shoes too.
How often do you need to add? Every year?
Have a HVAC buddy that gives it a tune up yearly, the last 2 years I have been home when he checked it out and no fluids was added. Boiler was installed in ‘12 when the house was built, I would say 2-3 times we had to deal with adding.

I saw these people make a homade kiln for drying the wood much faster.

It had windows on a sloped surface on one side, the back side and everything else was lined with black plastic.

The opening to the back was full lenght so stacked slabs could be fork lifted in and out.

There was a circulating fan or two on the back ran by solar.

Evidently slabs would be ready in about three months?

Sourcing used windows was the cost key.

Reactions: lash and Two36

It had windows on a sloped surface on one side, the back side and everything else was lined with black plastic.

The opening to the back was full lenght so stacked slabs could be fork lifted in and out.

They’re called solar kilns, there’s tons of info online about them. They don’t dry quite that quickly but it’s much faster than air drying that’s for sure!
829D0D37-DC9A-467E-80C5-74389BB748A3.png

That sounds cool.I definitely don't mill enough to justify making one.

Reactions: lash
While working in the sawmill, it was always the Winter when things would take the least time drying in the kiln. Simply because, the "Freeze-Drying" that they'd achieve just sitting in the mill yard removed SO Much of the moisture.

But yeah, -40 tends to dry out everything.

At 0115 this morning, the blower motor on the stove gave up the ghost after 14 years. Had one in stock that I bought 5 years ago anticipating this moment. R&R was easy but time consuming. After a mornings work, we were good to go and Miss Lori had her favorite heat source back.
C2A45DB1-49A9-4399-BFBC-2DB267D8009B.jpeg
8B4D9F42-C2B8-4195-85BB-D7B769E2D47F.jpeg
29BE9B0C-7A85-48D5-BD14-0DCF73CA9944.jpeg

I have a similar setup. Lopi brand. Did it die or start vibrating? Might be a good time to see what's going on in there, no problems but just to be sure. Thanks for the post, just need some motivation sometimes.

I have a similar setup. Lopi brand. Did it die or start vibrating? Might be a good time to see what's going on in there, no problems but just to be sure. Thanks for the post, just need some motivation sometimes.
Sounded to me like a bearing going out. High pitched squeal.

Reactions: S Roche
It has 4 ridges, 2 each side running top to bottom.

What is the significance of the ridges?
Not entirely sure. Also haven't heard exactly how you're supposed to fit one with the ridges. I've got one similar to yours that I need to rehandle. Name is unreadable on mine. Ridges aren't directly opposed. Have an OP link that's a little narrow (long section of the eye is short) but can possibly work if I make a bigger wedge. Never rehandle before. Axe came from my grandpa. He lived 1913-2008.
Attach17575_20201219_162129.jpg
Attach17576_20201219_162129.jpg
Attach17577_20201219_162213.jpg

Damn, I was hoping you’d say the ridged models are worth billions....🤣

When I came across this one the handle was broken off. Have wondered what the original handle type was. Is your handle complete and if so what is the style and length.

Damn, I was hoping you’d say the ridged models are worth billions....🤣

When I came across this one the handle was broken off. Have wondered what the original handle type was. Is your handle complete and if so what is the style and length.
Its complete. Will take more pictures later after work. Those were the ones I found in my phone.

I have to clean the top of the eye. At some point it was whacked a bit with a checkered face hammer. I'm never getting rid of mine.

Reactions: Two36