• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Damn, I was hoping you’d say the ridged models are worth billions....🤣

When I came across this one the handle was broken off. Have wondered what the original handle type was. Is your handle complete and if so what is the style and length.

Its complete. Will take more pictures later after work. Those were the ones I found in my phone.

I have to clean the top of the eye. At some point it was whacked a bit with a checkered face hammer. I'm never getting rid of mine.
Mine doesn't have the scallops in the cheeks so it probably isn't the same kind of Kelly. It has remnants of red paint on the underside.
20220221_164039.jpg

The eye on mine is 2.9"x 0.670 at the top of the eye and the blank I have is 2.7".

House handle has handles with correct eye size.
Just ordered.

Also was looking for info and I ran across a thread on bladeforum that I posted in 4 years ago. Completely forgot I posted in it.

Just ordered.

Also was looking for info and I ran across a thread on bladeforum that I posted in 4 years ago. Completely forgot I posted in it.
Forgot to mention and was brought up in that thread.
Sounds like a woodslasher to me.

I'd be doing a it to a husky. My dad "borrowed" my 044 mag, I don't think I'll be getting it back lol
Google a husqvarne 288 exhaust deflector.
These can be bolted on over an extra outlet. The nuts should be tack welded on the inside though. Just insurance that the saw doesn’t decide to eat em after a while.

Reactions: Two36
Google a husqvarne 288 exhaust deflector.
These can be bolted on over an extra outlet. The nuts should be tack welded on the inside though. Just insurance that the saw doesn’t decide to eat em after a while.
Will do. Thank you for input. I'll likely shoot you a pm or two when I get after it.

Reactions: Deets
I’ve pulled some very nice pieces from firewood piles over the years. You’d be amazed at the amount of high dollar wood that gets burned every year.

I’ve owned a mill for quite a while and it has made me a lot of money on boards sold over the years, and people pay me to mill their wood for them.

I’ve got boards big enough to make a 12 foot single piece table top 48 inches wide, lol.

Everyone who has access to a good amount of timber should own a mill.

What stops most people is not being able to get the wood from the spot it’s at, to the mill.

A 12 foot long 48” diameter log weighs a lot, lol.

When I get back down to the mothership, I’ll get some pictures up. Converted a giant chicken house to store and dry lumber. Good ventilation.

Took down and milled 75 walnut trees back in 2015. Just started using that lumber not to long ago to build shit. Milled the boards for my brother’s house from free trees.
Hey, have a few random chunks of white oak, if you are interested pm me.

Attachments

• 5EEFDBB2-EA13-48C7-A388-2A96B4FAB004.jpeg
    5EEFDBB2-EA13-48C7-A388-2A96B4FAB004.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 45
Back at it after the winter hiatus. Thought I had stayed in shape over the winter (a lot of walking and lifting), but that still doesn’t replicate being on the back end of a saw for 6 hours. @schroed62 asked if I was low on wood for the 2029 season 😊. Worked a White Oak top with the 261 and finished bucking a White Oak stem with the 441. Frost isn’t out yet, so it’s pretty greasy on top.
0D6E962A-ADB2-4B5F-BCDE-BF430E0966A4.jpeg
45E8E044-BD6E-4028-9829-DA30BCEB94FE.jpeg

Back at it after the winter hiatus. Thought I had stayed in shape over the winter (a lot of walking and lifting), but that still doesn’t replicate being on the back end of a saw for 6 hours. @schroed62 asked if I was low on wood for the 2029 season 😊. Worked a White Oak top with the 261 and finished bucking a White Oak stem with the 441. Frost isn’t out yet, so it’s pretty greasy on top.
View attachment 7829972
Not much sheet metal left in that wheel opening.....

View attachment 7829973View attachment 7829972
I would love some hardwood for the OWB. I have white spruce in my area of Alaska and very little white birch.

So for the Alaskans, a question.
They sometimes refer to cotton wood for smoking meats.

In the south cotton woods are a soft wood that doesn't burn well at all and would never cook over it.

It couldn't be the same tree?

Reactions: rope
Same tree, it smokes well and is used on salmon. I don’t use it, if I use Alaska wood it’s alder. I either use a Bradley or Treager.

Reactions: Lawless
We don’t have hardwood up here. Once a fire goes to coal, they throw chunks and they smolder giving the smoke. Lots of people use it, just not me.

So for the Alaskans, a question.
They sometimes refer to cotton wood for smoking meats.

In the south cotton woods are a soft wood that doesn't burn well at all and would never cook over it.

It couldn't be the same tree?
I've used it as i had a couple of big ones that needed to come down. Had to feed the box a little more often as it burned faster, but the flavor seemed okay.

Reactions: Snuby642
I've used it as i had a couple of big ones that needed to come down. Had to feed the box a little more often as it burned faster, but the flavor seemed okay.
Is there a taste comparison to a hardwood that you can describe? Did you use dry or punky (what’s used up here)?

Is there a taste comparison to a hardwood that you can describe? Did you use dry or punky (what’s used up here)?
I used it for pork ribs and smoking brisket so it really just provided some smoke and bark to the seasoning. It had sat about a year so it was decently dry. I would have normally used different wood, but ran out and thought what the heck?

Reactions: Snuby642 and rope
That's badass.I really need to get one of my saws ported... Not for power, just hate my neighbors.
I have a ported 500i, needs double hearing protection. You neighbors would love you for it.😎. The ported 026,261,034super,036x2 and 441 aren’t nearly as loud and single hearing protection is fine. Any ported saw is way louder than non. The performance is nice bonus, especially paired with square grind chain.

• Love
I used it for pork ribs and smoking brisket so it really just provided some smoke and bark to the seasoning. It had sat about a year so it was decently dry. I would have normally used different wood, but ran out and thought what the heck?
Nice to know thanks for the report, I will give it a try.

I have a ported 500i, needs double hearing protection. You neighbors would love you for it.😎. The ported 026,261,034super,036x2 and 441 aren’t nearly as loud and single hearing protection is fine. Any ported saw is way louder than non. The performance is nice bonus, especially paired with square grind chain.
It more so depends on how the muffler was ported than the model of saw. One large opening out the front of the muffler produces the most noise.

So y’all are talking about opening up the muffler, not actual cylinder porting?

I have a little 16” Echo 3450 that is so light I can one hand it on a limb if I need to and it runs great. It’s a low reving saw and doesn’t have the ass my other 35cc saw had (a Husky 35) so I was thinking of sending it to have the cylinder opened up.

I opened up the muffler a couple of years ago and after tuning I saw a small difference but nothing dramatic.

It is such a handy saw for light stuff and I carry it on the ATV when I may need it in the woods. I put a new bar on it a few months ago and keep it clean.

So y’all are talking about opening up the muffler, not actual cylinder porting?

I have a little 16” Echo 3450 that is so light I can one hand it on a limb if I need to and it runs great. It’s a low reving saw and doesn’t have the ass my other 35cc saw had (a Husky 35) so I was thinking of sending it to have the cylinder opened up.

I opened up the muffler a couple of years ago and after tuning I saw a small difference but nothing dramatic.

It is such a handy saw for light stuff and I carry it on the ATV when I may need it in the woods. I put a new bar on it a few months ago and keep it clean.
Im pretty sure there are different levels of work that they're talking about. There are bolt on parts.

And then there is machining for a full port. This guy shows alot of what he does. Not open for work though.

All mine are cylinder ported, squish milled with gasket delete, tachs and up to 2 new exhaust outlets and baffles removed and carb work minus the 500i. All the porters that I have dealt with it’s a complete package of work they do. Mastermind work saw 461 has a 660 card plus all the above work and probably stuff he doesn’t tell. Have a 026 with a 044 carb and full work saw machining.

There are also different purposes for motor work. I have work saws, one of my porters does race saws, including motorbike motors running alcohol or methanol and nitros. He ports as big as your budget is.

OPE forum has a lot of these saws and porters. You can find Mastermind, Tree Monkey and Huskihl (my porter) there. Lots of YouTube as well.

Edit for spelling and additional info.

Last edited:
View attachment 7829973View attachment 7829972
It's pretty greasy on the top...
What does that mean brutha-man.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
It's pretty greasy on the top...
What does that mean brutha-man.

Florida man I see.

Im out grilling today.

Frost is not out.

When you walk across the lawn its like you are walking on necrotic flesh.

The top is infected and ready to slough off at the slightest pressure, while the firm, frozen under neath resists the oozing of that loose thawed, saturated, topsoil.

Florida man I see.

Im out grilling today.

Frost is not out.

When you walk across the lawn its like you are walking on necrotic flesh.

The top is infected and ready to slough off at the slightest pressure, while the firm, frozen under neath resists the oozing of that loose thawed, saturated, topsoil.
Ahh, I get it now and after re reading the post I should have understood.
Been a long long time since I lived in a place where the ground froze.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks
All mine are cylinder ported, squish milled with gasket delete, tachs and up to 2 new exhaust outlets and baffles removed and carb work minus the 500i. All the porters that I have dealt with it’s a complete package of work the do. Mastermind work saw 461 has a 660 card plus all the above work and probably stuff he doesn’t tell. Have a 026 with a 044 card and full work saw machining.
Randy does awesome work and is a good friend of mine.

Who did your 500?

Reactions: rope
Ok you don't know mud.

Good damn thing he wasn't driving in a feed lot.