• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

I've got the 70r weed trimmer, I keep some of the stihl premix stabilized fuel around for off season storage. I was told that it isn't as harsh on the fuel lines and jets. I do the same for my saw.

God smiled on me yesterday, my wife and I were headed out from our cabin to pick elderberries for juice and a try at a 5 gallon batch of wine, right on the road was a freshly fallen white oak. I’ve always have my saw with me as all the country around has burned and there’s always trees to cut out of the road.

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpeg
    IMG_2255.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2258.jpeg
    IMG_2258.jpeg
    868.3 KB · Views: 76
My property is heavily wooded. Chainsaws, splitters and firewood I have covered.

Looking for a backpack blower to tend mountains of leaves. Today I use a couple Echos to do heavier lifting and an 40v Ryobi for quick cleanup tasks.

Thinking maybe a stihl br450 or 600. However, I read that both do not like cold weather below 10-15 degrees. Truth to this and anyone run one of these in colder temps?

Leaf season lasts a long time here and its cold by the time all the leaves are down and cleaned up.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
My property is heavily wooded. Chainsaws, splitters and firewood I have covered.

Looking for a backpack blower to tend mountains of leaves. Today I use a couple Echos to do heavier lifting and an 40v Ryobi for quick cleanup tasks.

Thinking maybe a stihl br450 or 600. However, I read that both do not like cold weather below 10-15 degrees. Truth to this and anyone run one of these in colder temps?

Leaf season lasts a long time here and its cold by the time all the leaves are down and cleaned up.
I have a Stihl BR 700 that I use to blow light snow. I have used it down to -20 F. There is a shutter behind the air filter that needs to be moved to the winter position. I also use the Stihl pre-mixed fuel. The BR 600 also has winter mode.

Sigh……

Not gonna be any cutting around here.
This year has been an absolute shit storm. Both of my 25+ year friends/farm owners passed away. Couldn’t hazard a guess how many hours I worked both farms, loving every minute of it. Feeling gutted…
One farm sold immediately the other taken over by a cunt of a niece who ran me out of there before the body was cold.

…..Ok, I‘m done with my pity party….

Keep on keeping on and post some good pix…

Timber jacks even work when using your sawzall to cut spikes out of the Timbers that made the perimeter for the kids play yard…..

image.jpg

Kind of melancholy (men with testosterone don’t get sad).

It was a much better world that seemed to have more promise and opportunity when I set that play yard up.

Now like the world, just a mess and I can no longer get a machine in to fix it.

image.jpg

I learned the hard way about having back up saws. The 026 is my baby, it is the first saw I bought brand new. I've had it 25 years.
I mean those 3 Germans gon jump the 2 Swedes….

Last edited:
The 145 went to a new home yesterday. My nephew George wants to get into milling and carving. We went out yesterday cutting mesquite. After 20 minutes of safety, we spent 6 hours cutting. When we had everything unloaded, I asked if he had everything. He checked his bag and pockets and said yes he had everything. I said no you don't, he double checked and said he did. I told him he was forgetting his saw. Yesterday was a good day.

Husqvarna 359 is sold and shipping today. All creamsicle saws here now. The 291 I just acquired cuts great for a heavy homeowner saw but when I looked closer someone had converted it to 3/8 chain. No biggie… the spur was worn so I ordered a new clutch drum/rim sprocket setup in 3/8 for it.

I think I will give this one to my SIL.

My inlaws are coming this weekend so probably no working on the woodshed.

Deal Alert

Prime day deal on chaps. Be aware the size is length, not waist. I went with medium and I am 6’ tall. Mine came in at $76 total shipped with Prime. Had em in my cart a good while, they have been tested by various sawtoob people and have been dubbed the best value in chaps by some.

Reactions: DIBBS and Jscb1b
Pisses me off that I didn’t know 50:1 was just an EPA thing and that it has nothing to do with your equipment’s longevity. In hind sight it seems obvious. So I can still use my Stihl ultra stash, just take it down to 30 or 40:1? Is 30 too far?

How is Stihl oil garbage? My mind is blown here. Is this seriously one of those deals where they sell you this cause it works great for a good while then they get to sell you parts later?

Bought 2 500i’s last year, and a 261 C-M this year.

Pisses me off that I didn’t know 50:1 was just an EPA thing and that it has nothing to do with your equipment’s longevity. In hind sight it seems obvious. So I can still use my Stihl ultra stash, just take it down to 30 or 40:1? Is 30 too far?

How is Stihl oil garbage? My mind is blown here. Is this seriously one of those deals where they sell you this cause it works great for a good while then they get to sell you parts later?

I just learned that this year too. Switched to about 35 to 1 oil to gas.
I had a bunch of the 2 gallon mix bottles of oil. I started using 2 bottles of oil to 3 gallons of gas instead of 4 gallons.

Still use 50/1 in the lower rpm leaf blower.

Reactions: AmmoFort
B

Because some chick on YouTube said so
I never had any problems using it with my Stihl but it did clog up the spark arrestor on my echo chainsaw,
Haha

bit since I trust you guys , I am switching to echo red armor

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawless

Ultra was formulated to stop carbon buildup in 4mix engines.

To the rest of the question, run at least 40:1 IMO, I run Echo Red Armor at 32:1. No issues with splooge and my piston tops are clean.

I was just going through this old thread.
Give us an update on your hatchet
It was supposed to be my camp hatchet for when my son and I went on our October camping trips.

Last trip was just before I got fired.

Truth be told…..hatchets are an accident waiting to happen. I’m more comfortable batoning a KaBar through a log for kindling.

Hatchets are good for taking small limbs off a trunk prior to logging it up.

Supplanted this one with one of the sweet surplus pre war Swede hatchets @MK20 got a hold of.

Reactions: oneshot86
Yeah. That appears to be a one time find unfortunately. They last forever though. With your harder eastern woods, make sure the bit is warm first if you can if it is really cold.

Most of us probable don't need this but could be useful to others.

I should really watch that.

My mindset though is to buy something ridiculously beyond the specifications I need and have no knowledge but run with it anyway.

Unsure if actually getting knowledge would be acceptable to my personality.

Last edited:
Husqvarna 359 is sold and shipping today. All creamsicle saws here now. The 291 I just acquired cuts great for a heavy homeowner saw but when I looked closer someone had converted it to 3/8 chain. No biggie… the spur was worn so I ordered a new clutch drum/rim sprocket setup in 3/8 for it.

I think I will give this one to my SIL.

My inlaws are coming this weekend so probably no working on the woodshed.
Have an old 290 that just keeps cutting. Good saw.

Nice on the 500i. I think it’s a great saw. Can’t seem to tear mine up.

Reactions: tnichols
Have an old 290 that just keeps cutting. Good saw.

Nice on the 500i. I think it’s a great saw. Can’t seem to tear mine up.
I like all my Stihls, but I really think upgrading to these 3 ‘professional’ saws was the right choice. The 261 C-M is nice and light with the 18” bar. Awesome to have a good little dedicated limbing saw. And these 500i’s just do it for me. Got one 20” and the other is a 28”. Little weight to them, but they start so easy and the power is amazing. I have the modify shit affliction and I think about messing with them, but there’s really no need.

I like all my Stihls, but I really think upgrading to these 3 ‘professional’ saws was the right choice. The 261 C-M is nice and light with the 18” bar. Awesome to have a good little dedicated limbing saw. And these 500i’s just do it for me. Got one 20” and the other is a 28”. Little weight to them, but they start so easy and the power is amazing. I have the modify shit affliction and I think about messing with them, but there’s really no need.
I have a 241C, 261C, 362C, 440M and a 291, 250 in the homeowner class.

I am considering selling the 362, 440, 291 and 250 and buying a 500i.

500i is the same weight as the 440 (which is no slouch) but better in every way. Honestly the 362 is a great bucking saw but redundant for me. I love the 241…if you think the 261 is a great limber wait til you try a 241. 🫢

A piece of petrified live oak I found with the bush hog. Lying in wait just above ground for who knows how long before it made me aware of its presence. Lol.
20231120_173551.jpg

I don’t mind admitting dead trees are fucking scary. Every wind storm this widow maker drops more death spikes. After I clean up all the shit around it I’ll look at it for a minute and see if there is a faster way to get it down safely, but at this point I’m thinking just throw some ropes up in it and pull it down from far away. That is all.
16D91587-F760-4631-9704-E429715C56ED.jpeg

I don’t mind admitting dead trees are fucking scary. Every wind storm this widow maker drops more death spikes. After I clean up all the shit around it I’ll look at it for a minute and see if there is a faster way to get it down safely, but at this point I’m thinking just throw some ropes up in it and pull it down from far away. That is all.
View attachment 8305491
Tannerite

Dead standing trees are like quiet old men. They may have been big and strong in the prime of their lives. Impressive specimens. They provided shade and safe shelter. Now unassuming and ignored more often than not. But I dare your ass to go fuck with one at the end of their days without a plan. That dangerous old man that was pretty agreeable for most of his life, is about to end yours if you act a fool.

Needs a comparison meme ^^^

Over here nervously giggling.

Dead standing trees are like quiet old men. They may have been big and strong in the prime of their lives. Impressive specimens. They provided shade and safe shelter. Now unassuming and ignored more often than not. But I dare your ass to go fuck with one at the end of their days without a plan. That dangerous old man that was pretty agreeable for most of his life, is about to end yours if you act a fool.

Needs a comparison meme ^^^

Over here nervously giggling.
That is truth right there

This was the first year in my life unfortunately that I had to hire someone to cut firewood for me. Just didn't have the time as I was hustling to get my new home dried in and enclosed for Winter.

I did however, get my new stove in, and it's heating the house nicely. Not even fully insulated, and I'm already thinking I need to cut back on feeding the fire, especially on days where I get a lot of solar gain. 65-67 is the perfect temperature for me, and once it gets over 70 degrees, I'm feeling uncomfortable.

Spray foam insulation, around R-70 in the roof (code requires min. of R-49 in my area). Only have around 2" sprayed in the walls so I can get plumbing and wiring installed, then will follow up with the remaining void in the 2x8 framed walls filled with Rock Wool insulation.

KIMG0159.JPG
KIMG0158.JPG

16 feet of 8" pipe (plus another 6 feet above the chimney support box).

That's a one foot thick concrete (thermal mass) wall behind the stove. Did the same thing in my last house. Works great at storing heat.

KIMG0160.JPG

Last edited:
So that is 8” stove pipe and not 6”? That’s a huge stove by those proportions!

So that is 8” stove pipe and not 6”? That’s a huge stove by those proportions!

Yes, stove is a Quadrafire Discovery III, probably one of their biggest. Went with 8" over 6" because I'm at 8700-ft elevation, and previous stove was similar size (model 4300), and the guy I bought that stove through, has a degree in Thermal Dynamics, so he knows his stuff, and suggested the bigger pipe for better draw for this altitude and length of pipe. Old house, I think I only swept it twice in 14-years. Just doesn't build up anything on the inside being that big.

Last edited: