• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

My neighbor had 60 acres clear cut behind my property. I let the loggers use my field for entry and wood stacking. I told them in return i wanted them to bring logs to the road, in the woods, that they couldn't use. I am now working on a stack 8 ft high, 8 ft wide, and 60ish? ft long. I've cut split and stacked 7 full cord out of it so far.... Only 20-30 more to go. I'll drop some pictures when i get a chance.

Great thread. I processed lots and lots of firewood when I lived in upstate NY. Moved to TX last year and am lucky to have a tree on the property. I brought my splitter with me but will likely never use it here. I ran it off the hydraulic system on my tractor. It's for sale. I live 15 miles west of Ft. Worth in Azle.

JjdHsWZ.jpg

Great thread. I processed lots and lots of firewood when I lived in upstate NY. Moved to TX last year and am lucky to have a tree on the property. I brought my splitter with me but will likely never use it here. I ran it off the hydraulic system on my tractor. It's for sale. I live 15 miles west of Ft. Worth in Azle.

JjdHsWZ.jpg
Might still be nice for fire pit wood, cooking/smoking, etc... Probably hard to wrap your mind around it considering it’s 100 every day this time of year in the Metroplex

Reactions: oneshot86
Here's my wood pile so far. It's 3 rows deep and 5' high. I have 7 full cord so far. My stack of logs in the woods is 8' wide by 8' high and about as long as this wood pile (maybe longer)

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_141302089_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190822_141302089_HDR.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 164
Next year I'll be getting my first OWB. In Michigan we dont have to have the high efficiency gasifiers. I was looking at a wood master 4400 for my 1500sq ft house. How much wood can I expect to eat with this thing?

Next year I'll be getting my first OWB. In Michigan we dont have to have the high efficiency gasifiers. I was looking at a wood master 4400 for my 1500sq ft house. How much wood can I expect to eat with this thing?
Your climate is similar to ours. Depending on what you hope to heat (house only, hot water heater, shop, etc...) 8-12 cord. Geno would be a good source for information along with others here. It’ll take a fair amount of accessible timber and work to support it.

Recent storm damaged Walnut at the old folks place. Main stem weakened from age and carpenter ants. Ty and I cut, Miss Lori worked hard keeping our feet clear and loading brush. It’s heavy with leaves and fruit this time of year. Dad ran loader and hauled away 3 large straight truck loads. Saved the nicer stove wood. We were running out of gas by 1730, so, I still have the stump cut to do, trim the Hackberry it damaged on the way down, and load the firewood. Productive day with cool temps.
EA40B85D-02CB-4368-A1C3-07F2DDA0A7F8.jpeg
B9141B80-F522-4A49-94CB-DF7E0B87CB41.jpeg
5299CC29-D9A6-4629-8269-393CFB713F44.jpeg
CDE9A525-2D2E-427E-A093-66D5AEBC3657.jpeg

dude
why you not feeding Ty???
get that kid some mashed potatoes and meatloaf quick, the lads going to blow away next wind storm...

nice tree

dude
why you not feeding Ty???
get that kid some mashed potatoes and meatloaf quick, the lads going to blow away next wind storm...

nice tree
? He out eats me at every meal! Last night he ate a huge pile of salad, then his entire pasta entree from Olive Garden! That’s not including all the bread sticks, desert, etc.... He’s growing in height like crazy and running XC in school which probably doesn’t help. I was the same way. Couldn’t gain a pound.

some of the trees that fall have some good character. This is a tulip poplar but since it grew close to the stream it has minerals in it causing the blue color. some are cattledog size.
Damn, thats purty.

Had the morning to finish my work. Stump cut, pruned the damaged limbs on the Hackberry, final cleanup, loaded the stove wood and hauled ass for home. Mowed lawn, unloaded the truck, shower, and off to the first volleyball tournament of the year. We’re ranked #3 in the state and won 8 straight sets ?. Long day.
0C18F86F-0BC8-4A28-A8B7-9412513A9600.jpeg
DA274619-20F1-4457-88A1-FE351C58D331.jpeg
1C60515B-6581-42A5-BF3A-6508E048EFBE.jpeg

Had the morning to finish my work. Stump cut, pruned the damaged limbs on the Hackberry, final cleanup, loaded the stove wood and hauled ass for home. Mowed lawn, unloaded the truck, shower, and off to the first volleyball tournament of the year. We’re ranked #3 in the state and won 8 straight sets ?. Long day.
View attachment 7138015View attachment 7138016View attachment 7138017

i know you are busy w work and kids, but w the beautiful hardwoods you have, have you considered a small sawmill
i think you would have a blast

Reactions: Barneybdb
i know you are busy w work and kids, but w the beautiful hardwoods you have, have you considered a small sawmill
i think you would have a blast
I have, but it’s rare that the main stem is viable to mill. The tree above tipped over because the stem was full of carpenter ants (notice the black spot on the stump). Age, then bugs usually get to them before I do. There may have been some limb wood in this tree to mill, but not much. Once I’m back in the timber/woods where they grow tall and straight, a lot of that wood would be sawmill heaven.

What I wouldn't give for some of that Walnut, Pecan, Oak, and other exotic woods (chunks, not chips) for my smoker. Ya'll have no idea how Blessed ya'll are. Can't bring it across the Border into the country here, and it don't grow up here. Arging farging blarrggging stupid laws getting in the way!

What I wouldn't give for some of that Walnut, Pecan, Oak, and other exotic woods (chunks, not chips) for my smoker. Ya'll have no idea how Blessed ya'll are. Can't bring it across the Border into the country here, and it don't grow up here. Arging farging blarrggging stupid laws getting in the way!
I’d pass on Walnut for your smoker. To my knowledge I don’t know of anyone using it for cooking as it would impart that sharp, pungent taste that may not be desirable. However, Apple, Oak, and Cherry are wonderful. If you’re interested, PM me, I may be able to help ?.

some of the trees that fall have some good character. This is a tulip poplar but since it grew close to the stream it has minerals in it causing the blue color. some are cattledog size.
I would love to have some of that to turn some bowls out of. Bet they would turn out badass

I would love to have some of that to turn some bowls out of. Bet they would turn out badass

hey north, do you make it down to tampa ever???
right now, i have a couple chunks of pecan that can be turned down that ill save for you, if you like.
and any burl that i run across ill save also.
i was saving them for a snowbird that was coming down yearly from Minnesota. he has since stopped because of age.
ill see if mike c. can post a couple pics for me...
1st is the pecan chunk and second is a bowl the old codger made me from a piece of pecan i gave him a few years ago

I dont generally get down that way but could i suppose. Not too far of a drive really.
That would be great. When the storm gets gone i have a few days work i have to do at the other house to get it on the market and could get down

Supposed to cool off here this week, with evening temps near freezing. The stove may get a trial run to knock off the damp. Have a fair amount of 3-4 year old cherry and elm to get started. Haven’t set foot in the woods yet. Been busy with work, new shop construction, and kids sports.

Supposed to cool off here this week, with evening temps near freezing. The stove may get a trial run to knock off the damp. Have a fair amount of 3-4 year old cherry and elm to get started. Haven’t set foot in the woods yet. Been busy with work, new shop construction, and kids sports.

Same situation, I hear there is snow coming on Thursday, work has kept me busy but now it's onto hunting season then baby season is mid Nov. Hopefully between the two I'll get cutting like a mad man.

Got some free wood the other day, already bucked, just had to pick it up.

This will be for the winter of 21/22.

Weather finally started to cool off so we can open windows, still a few weeks away from lighting the blaze king up.

Attachments

• 20191006_072653.jpg
    20191006_072653.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 115
I buy wood burls. If you have some walnut burls to get rid of drop me a line.

After 20 years using a MTD vertical splitter I broken down and purchased a normal splitter where you can stand upright like a human and split wood, log lift a hydraulic log lift no back muscles to strain anymore.Sip on the four way wedge and just feed it logs all day, now if they can only make a automatic stacker I'll be set.
20191012_151651.jpg

After 20 years using a MTD vertical splitter I broken down and purchased a normal splitter where you can stand upright like a human and split wood, log lift a hydraulic log lift no back muscles to strain anymore.Sip on the four way wedge and just feed it logs all day, now if they can only make a automatic stacker I'll be set.View attachment 7165481
Nice! If they come up with an auto stacker let me know. It’s the most dreaded/tedious part of processing for me.

Nice! If they come up with an auto stacker let me know. It’s the most dreaded/tedious part of processing for me.

Stacking sucks plain and simple, the conveyor for the splitter runs about 6-7K so as you split wood it pushes into the hopper then up the belt. Just leave it in a pile and throw a tarp over the top and call it a season.

Stacking sucks plain and simple, the conveyor for the splitter runs about 6-7K so as you split wood it pushes into the hopper then up the belt. Just leave it in a pile and throw a tarp over the top and call it a season.
My OCD wouldn’t allow that ?. As the birthdays add up, it may become an option though. The wind howls here. I’ve had tarps (the cheap blue ones) last less than a month.

My OCD wouldn’t allow that ?. As the birthdays add up, it may become an option though. The wind howls here. I’ve had tarps (the cheap blue ones) last less than a month.

I think they make those traps with biodegradable material because they seem to disappear shortly after you cover your wood.

I think they make those traps with biodegradable material because they seem to disappear shortly after you cover your wood.
I believe you’re correct. The last time I tarped wood outside, I’m sure that tarp ended up 2 counties to the east of here. ?

• Haha
Been tarping wood forever , I built a nice wood shed for my son in law lucky him not to have to deal with tarps.
20191012_151636#1.jpg