• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Some loads from after work this week
32103E63-69BB-41C1-B64E-5EA7CE52F6AE.jpeg
7E8A59CC-5548-4575-8B6D-F0FBC17921F8.jpeg
EEADE7C6-B806-440E-B0FF-1D2026D0D7BC.jpeg
E9918505-5B27-4906-AB30-7A0669A1C78B.jpeg

Reactions: tnichols
Put the new maul to work. Not a bad morning.

Attachments

• 2EA0A01A-C4E6-4F7A-B0DE-1F3C5AEB06DC.jpeg
    2EA0A01A-C4E6-4F7A-B0DE-1F3C5AEB06DC.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 145DCD5F-9F89-434F-BE18-8CEF6415675A.jpeg
    145DCD5F-9F89-434F-BE18-8CEF6415675A.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 87

LAKE STEVENS, Wash. (KOMO) - The city of Lake Stevens is threatening to fine a man $35,000 every two weeks for the massive pile of firewood outside his home that he chopped for charity.

KOMO News featured Shane McDaniel on Eric’s Heroes last year for chopping donated logs to provide firewood for elderly, sick and struggling people for winter.

McDaniel has a huge pile of chopped wood outside his Lake Stevens home, and a smaller one outside his store across town. The pile has grown in recent months. McDaniel says volunteers will deliver the wood in the coming weeks.

A recent notice from the city threatens to fine McDaniel $35,000 every two weeks if he does not start delivering the wood soon.

“I just couldn’t believe it,” McDaniel said. “It’s just the bully mentality of the local government here.”

Lake Stevens Mayor John Spencer says the woodpile is a fire hazard. He says fire crews would not be able to reach McDaniel’s home in an emergency, and the pile could create a massive blaze that spreads to other houses.

“We have a wood pile that represents a public risk,” Spencer said. “We have talked to him many many times, saying you need to move that pile but at this point he’s basically told us to blow off.”

McDaniel claims the city donated several logs a few months ago. Spencer denies that. McDaniel says he’s ready to go to court.

But the mayor says they have no plans to actually fine McDaniel – they just wanted to get his attention.

“The whole goal here is to get the wood to people who need it,” he said. “That’s the point. And we’re asking him to do it. Let’s get on with it. If he needs help with it we’ll help him.”

McDaniel says he doesn’t need the help. He has a group of volunteers ready.

McDaniel claims this feud dates back three years. He thinks there’s a vendetta at City Hall over a reader board he put up at his store, claiming the city was misusing a building.

“That’s bull****,” Spencer said. “There’s no vendetta. What’s the vendetta? He’s a good guy. We’ve worked with him I don’t know what he’s talking about.”

McDaniel says most of the wood will be delivered by Christmas. If that happens, the city says there is no way they will fine him.

Trying an experiment this year. In theory, I'll eliminate two steps of material handling. Right after the splitter, I load into re-purposed liquid totes. Then I can handle them with a forklift instead of by hand. Each tote weights about a ton.

Rats, the pictures are too large to attach....

Reactions: Barneybdb
Trying an experiment this year. In theory, I'll eliminate two steps of material handling. Right after the splitter, I load into re-purposed liquid totes. Then I can handle them with a forklift instead of by hand. Each tote weights about a ton.

Rats, the pictures are too large to attach....
I see a lot of that around here too. I know Geno on here uses them to feed his OWB.

Good afternoon in the timber with Ty. For a non-farm kid he’s paid attention, learned, and works safe. Loaded out the Mulberry from yesterday and then skidded out a 70’ blow down oak. Bark had shed and it had 2 limbs. Comfortable temps to work in, mid 40’s.
516C6651-F4A9-4491-92D6-5C9AD4086330.jpeg
E6DF21B5-5CC2-4848-A159-8484EE5E89F5.jpeg
7889B4AA-5030-4890-8322-0AF4B554EB58.jpeg

Good time for some firewood before the snow starts flying.

You stopped at the same gas station at the same pump every load? Where did you get the load? Florida?! :D
I top off every day, that is the only pump with the high volume diesel nozzle.

Here in Alaska we have limited fuel options in town, having a full tank gives margin of error when things aren’t going my way.
694CBD3E-E606-4350-A11A-836B3EB6B6E0.jpeg

From after work today. Florida is over 5,000 miles one way, and I don’t think they have much white birch.?

Last edited:
A benefit to being topped off is the added weight of the fuel when the bed is empty. This is the current road condition.
52541F36-5B3F-43D3-A5AD-81D68E5177A1.jpeg

Not nearly cold enough to fire up the stove here yet. I have 5+ cords of white and red oak here in central NC and my stack at my mountain house is growing. It is mostly white and chestnut oak up there. Plenty of long straight oaks already on the ground in the woods up there and I just drag them out with the tractor.

Biggest one in this pic is 18” diameter.

97FBD584-CEC5-4FB1-9C38-5632015759E8.jpeg

Definitely too cool now for me and Jack to go sit in the creek.

7678F423-77E7-48DF-89C4-8FCD93D35718.jpeg

69CA6BBE-1410-44CE-86A5-5188F1BEB539.jpeg

I top off every day, that is the only pump with the high volume diesel nozzle.

Here in Alaska we have limited fuel options in town, having a full tank gives margin of error when things aren’t going my way.
View attachment 7172383

From after work today. Florida is over 5,000 miles one way, and I don’t think they have much white birch.?

but they have plenty of "snow" just not your type......

Reactions: rope
I did some TDY’s in Miami for my agency. I remember there snow is different then mine.

Yeah when you guys talk getting "10-20" for getting caught in snow its also a different "10-20" in FL for getting caught in snow.

location, location, location........

Yeah when you guys talk getting "10-20" for getting caught in snow its also a different "10-20" in FL for getting caught in snow.

location, location, location........
Perspective....?

Reactions: pmclaine
Mike, did you manage to get those extra traps you asked about?

no...
him and 2 friends are into it hard, so, im going to get them some traps. i believe you are allowed 5 each w out a
permit. they have like 4 now, total. 3 dudes could have 15...

and they are wicked w a seine net, no boat and they are getting stone crab claws.
setting traps and filling them w the shit they get from the s n pull
its awesome,and i have to spend more time w them on the water

ask mike c how it is here

Reactions: Barneybdb and rope
Damn bugs made CO into a giant tenderbox over the last 20 yrs......

Lots of wood to cut, all pine, standing dead, dry, and burns right fast.

I used to cut 10+ cords for heat it would burn up so quick. House was also 1800 sq ft and only ran boiler at 40 to keep from freezing.

I think my Dad bought his Ruger Redhawk from that store in the background... miss that part of the world!

Nothing like getting live lobster right from a boat on the docks. Good times!