• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

OK, but how does any "man planted"/eco terrorist object become embedded and run vertically ? (Legit question, I have no pre-conceived ideas). If it was planted, wouldn't it run horizontal/perpendicular ?
It looks driven in at an angle to me. If have read any of the monkey wrencher stuff it is a common tactic to wreak havok on anyone unlucky enough to run a saw through it.

It looks driven in at an angle to me. If have read any of the monkey wrencher stuff it is a common tactic to wreak havok on anyone unlucky enough to run a saw through it.
Ahhhhh, at an angle makes more sense. I have worked in the VFD/Motor Drive industry and many of our customers were either sawmill equipment OEM's, or the mills themselves.
They all have metal detectors on the infeed side of the mills, just for these kinds of situations. I just have never had any experience with that segment (metal detection) side of the business. I suppose that is due to the fact that the metal detection is very sophisticated and protects the mills, their equipment and their workers quite well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
OK, but how does any "man planted"/eco terrorist object become embedded and run vertically ? (Legit question, I have no pre-conceived ideas). If it was planted, wouldn't it run horizontal/perpendicular ?

If it was rusting or oxidizing in some way wouldn't the trees 'internal liquid movement' (I'm pretty sure there is a better term but I can't think of it) move whatever crap it is vertical? Shouldn't go too far horizontal since aren't all the trees 'veins' vertical?

If it was rusting or oxidizing in some way wouldn't the trees 'internal liquid movement' (I'm pretty sure there is a better term but I can't think of it) move whatever crap it is vertical? Shouldn't go too far horizontal since aren't all the trees 'veins' vertical?
Am not an arborist so can't answer that. Not sure if searching for images or info on eco-terrorist attack methods is wise but will likely show similar things to what was shown.

Ran the “limbing” saw a fair amount today.
68AC5871-8100-4750-AF19-A72062AED1DB.jpeg

Ran the “limbing” saw a fair amount today.
View attachment 7594790
Mr out there being a super stud, get sum, dude.
I'm in the barn, finished the bay lights and I'm working on getting the bailer finished assembled. Then to fabrication on delivery systems.
Pic is from last night, w one baylight to go. The last one finished up well, Carol came up the scaffold and hung w me while I worked. She's always interested on how I do stuff.
But I think she tried to push me off, lol, lol.
Just kidding just kidding.
IMG_20210330_195309.jpg

This old girl is the best, amazing how much these trucks will move, off road. Watch your tire pressure tho, my shit was spongie w the extra two scoops
IMG_20210407_170931.jpg
IMG_20210407_171527.jpg
I'm drinking fancy tonight

• Haha
Reactions: Dewey7271
maybe only a little, things were gypsy rocking on this beautiful truck driving up to dump. and then you lift the bed. everything worked out good home boys
It's all fun until the frame snaps in two or you punch the scope out the top of the tower.
Be careful

Reactions: Ravenworks
Anyone run one of the 500i yet? Looks like a handy saw. Think I need one for the farm. Sounds like lighter than the 661 but plenty of power. Love the 661 but lighter might be good. Any experience here? (Current saws, 170, 261, 362, 441, 661 for reference)
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms500i/
The snow has finally melted enough, I was able to run mine for the first time, last weekend. Bucked up my beetle killed pine in about 15 minutes. It's a ripper, for sure. I put a bark box muffler thing on it. I need to get it in more wood. Only one tank through it, so far.

@oneshot86
There’s about 12 cords of wood there.

I love the Super Splitter went with the bigger Honda motor. It makes quick work of all but the gnarliest of wood.
anything I can’t lift I cut in half or quarters with the 461 ( 32” bar & skip chain )and use the curls in the chicken coop.

1621605661097.png

1621605737084.png

My bride is a Chaplin for Hospice and took some sweet rolls to the retired Chaplin. Retired guy is in the 75 year old range. He was out at this limb with a hand saw cutting the limbs off. My bride told him I would come up and cut it up. I guess he is just old school enough that he has the mind set to do what you have to do. I think he could have retired again before this was cut up with a hand saw!

IMG_20210429_172455880_HDR.jpg

I was visiting my Sister in the big city last month, and their HOA hired a Contractor to clear out all the dead trees in the neighborhood. Too bad I didn't have my truck, as this would have been going home with me.

I rescued this Cherry before it made it’s way to the burn pile today. Pretty nice stuff.
View attachment 7638477View attachment 7638479
That’s a nice saw! I cut with its predecessor the 044. Perfect for just about all of the wood we were in. Light and balanced, so easy to buck with. It would easily dump anything up to 2 1/2 feet on the stump. It had no problem boring in and doubling through to twice that width.

Although, I went for the big saw if I had more than two to double through.

Anyone have experience with the champion 27 ton splitter? I'm in the market for a decent splitter and all the generic "top 5" reviews seem to include it.

Any other splitters in the $1,300 range that you guys would suggest? I'm putting up 8ish cords per winter. mostly pine, cotton wood and aspin. That's Colorado for ya...

Ive got a 22 ton brave that gets fed 50 cord ok a year of red oak, ash, and elm.

Im not one to to tell you bigger isn’t better but I will say 27 ton for those species is unnecessary.

View attachment 7668173
Completely agree. I'm less worried about it being 27 ton than I am about it being a quality splitter. I do like the fact that it stands up on end but I'd really just like it to be well made and work flow should be efficient and well thought out.

Anyone have experience with the champion 27 ton splitter? I'm in the market for a decent splitter and all the generic "top 5" reviews seem to include it.

Any other splitters in the $1,300 range that you guys would suggest? I'm putting up 8ish cords per winter. mostly pine, cotton wood and aspin. That's Colorado for ya...
Have you looked into kinetic splitters? They’ll blow through most pine and aspen and will cycle 5x faster than a hydraulic splitter.
I have a 27 ton mtd I got off of Craigslist, for straight grain oak and ash, I’ll outsplit it by hand with my fiskars. But I still use it to break down bigger rounds and stuff with really bad knots in it.
My uncle who burns 20+ cord has has a kinetic splitter, I haven’t gotten out to see it in person but he swears by it and after looking into them, it’ll be my next purchase for firewood