• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

5530C7F2-CFB8-4CA5-B19C-9D54C13B1726.jpeg

I'll delete it this is the wrong thread,. But any of y'all running a woodmaxx tractor pto wood chipper for the stuff too small to burn?

I'm saving up for one. They look nice and I'm tire of making brush piles everywhere.

I'll delete it this is the wrong thread,. But any of y'all running a woodmaxx tractor pto wood chipper for the stuff too small to burn?

I'm saving up for one. They look nice and I'm tire of making brush piles everywhere.
I have one and it works great! It is rated for 8" but have not been that brave yet. We have very invasive youpon bushes and have been fighting them for years. 52 hp tractor and it has eaten every thing I have run thru it. Too small for bodies tho...
Have one of these on order for trail clearing, getting kind of old for doing it by hand.

I love that people take pics of their work, but I have to admit that I do chuckle inside a little when people pose their saws.

In all seriousness I do enjoy the pics, so please continue! Im just an ass.
Not necessarily a pose, but my BIL put his 461 down right next to my 880, so I snapped a pic. Mostly for a size comparison to send to my wife

5745AAC5-4139-4258-A152-AE7CBCDD715F.jpeg

I have one and it works great! It is rated for 8" but have not been that brave yet. We have very invasive youpon bushes and have been fighting them for years. 52 hp tractor and it has eaten every thing I have run thru it. Too small for bodies tho...
Have one of these on order for trail clearing, getting kind of old for doing it by hand.

Wow that does look nice.
I'm still running an old Perkins diesel Massey I bought for $2500, but when I upgrade for a fel machine I'm gonna have to get one of those.

I love that people take pics of their work, but I have to admit that I do chuckle inside a little when people pose their saws.

In all seriousness I do enjoy the pics, so please continue! Im just an ass.
I’m just trying to change it to a chainsaw thread😂 and it looks like it might be working hahah seriously though wood hoarders and chainsaws go together like pb&j

Flat and square. The scrub and jack planes make short work of it. Now to rip for the stretchers.View attachment 7714141
Love them Lie
This pine was earmarked for firewood. Had nice growth rings so I saved it. Will be a dining table when done.View attachment 7713621

This board will be flattened and then ripped to make cross stretchers. The table frame will be put together using drawbore mortise and tenons.
Nice shop. Lie-Nielsen makes beautiful planes and saws and have a fair number of them in my shop. Nothing more pleasurable than using a finely tuned hand plane on wood. Titemark marking gauges are excellent for layout and use them all the time. Over the years put together a collection of Stanley and Record planes including bench planes from 1 to 8 with a number of them being corrugated. Had them ground flat and installed Hock blades and new chipbreakers. Its a shame that nearly all the English toolworks are no longer around. They made excellent saws and chisels. Years ago bought a couple of Tyzack brass backed saws and rolls of Henry Taylor chisels.

Looking for some help with regard to outdoor wood burners.

Our older burner is stainless steel construction, 250 gallon, and is over 20 years old. I'm thinking of replacing it. Is there a good s.s. model out there today that you guys are using? They no longer make the brand I currently have.

Love them Lie

Nice shop. Lie-Nielsen makes beautiful planes and saws and have a fair number of them in my shop. Nothing more pleasurable than using a finely tuned hand plane on wood. Titemark marking gauges are excellent for layout and use them all the time. Over the years put together a collection of Stanley and Record planes including bench planes from 1 to 8 with a number of them being corrugated. Had them ground flat and installed Hock blades and new chipbreakers. Its a shame that nearly all the English toolworks are no longer around. They made excellent saws and chisels. Years ago bought a couple of Tyzack brass backed saws and rolls of Henry Taylor chisels.
When people ask me what are the cheapest planes to get to start hand tool wood working, I always tell them Lie Nielsen. You pull it out the box and start working. That easy. I prefer the 1/2 series planes because the blade is the same as my no 7 jointer plane.

The days of finding ready to work condition hand tools on the cheap are gone. I’m always looking, and worthwhile deals are few and far between these days.

I even have a hard time finding good restorable condition hand tools at worthwhile prices.

It’s truly cheaper in the long run to buy high end, new. Especially if just starting out.

I like the tite-mark, but prefer the Cosman marking gauge. I also use an old Marples marking gauge.

Kobalt are my beater chisels, and Lie Nielsen are my good chisels.

Most of my panel saws are Disston or other vintage American brands. I’ve even turned a couple of 8 PPI and 11 PPI cross-cuts into rip saws by sharpening them rip.

Antique Disston 8 point filed rip at work:
41D3D01A-1227-4867-AEAE-D1A052CF36BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
I agree with you on buy once cry once. When I first started woodworking I couldn't afford big equipment like table saws, planers, jointers, etc. so I did everything with planes, chisels and saws. I can speak from experience that chiseling large mortises in hardwoods is lots of work. Over time I acquired a 5hp Unisaw, planer, jointer and mortiser mainly to save time with rough dimensioning and doing repetitive cuts . For fit up go back to the hand tools and still cut all dovetails by hand. Need to post a picture of my wood working table I built over thirty years ago with only hand tools. For fit up shoulder and block planes are indispensable.

Everything Lie-Neilsen makes is top drawer. Bridge City made some nice tools and bought some when they were still in business.

I agree with you on buy once cry once. When I first started woodworking I couldn't afford big equipment like table saws, planers, jointers, etc. so I did everything with planes, chisels and saws. I can speak from experience that chiseling large mortises in hardwoods is lots of work. Over time I acquired a 5hp Unisaw, planer, jointer and mortiser mainly to save time with rough dimensioning and doing repetitive cuts . For fit up go back to the hand tools and still cut all dovetails by hand. Need to post a picture of my wood working table I built over thirty years ago with only hand tools. For fit up shoulder and block planes are indispensable.

Everything Lie-Neilsen makes is top drawer. Bridge City made some nice tools and bought some when they were still in business.
Same here. When I first started it was all hand tools. Even after I bought all power tools, I still prefer hand tools. A scrub, jack, and Jointer plane will get a board square and flat in good order. Well, at least one side, and then run it through the planet, lol.

I mainly use power tools for major milling or large amounts of repetitive cuts. Majority of what I make is still all done by hand.

Studying antique furniture is a favorite of mine. You can see the effort put into all of the show faces, but internal joinery was not done to the same precision, lol.

I’ve been using the same bench design since the early 2000’s. It’s scalable to whatever length you want, and built with lag bolts and construction lumber. Easy and fast to put together so you can get to work!

Well, I see we have veered off course of the firewood thread. Maybe it’s time for a wood worker’s thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Dead standing Poplar type in our yard today. Posing saws 😊😉...
View attachment 7722995
Its better to pose the other way or say what saw it is. The saw is the banana for scale cause we know how big the saws are (even though Stihl doesn't publish lengths of the power heads).
YRjMics.jpg

Btw it funny to do an image search of Bana for scale. Not all bananas are the same size at all.

Its better to pose the other way or say what saw it is. The saw is the banana for scale cause we know how big the saws are (even though Stihl doesn't publish lengths of the power heads).
View attachment 7723067

Btw it funny to do an image search of Bana for scale. Not all bananas are the same size at all.
😂 ... 441 25” bar

Well fellas, I’m done processing for the year. Bay 2 is now full. Bay 1 is not in the picture. It’s short 10” stuff that loads in the stove the short way. I don’t recall both 2 & 3 being full at the same time in the 15-20 years we’ve been here. Still have 3/4 of a cord under roof that can wait until next spring. Time to get back into the timber and run a saw. Tired of splitting.
ABC421FF-E24D-44F5-86CB-963522F9377D.jpeg

Well fellas, I’m done processing for the year. Bay 2 is now full. Bay 1 is not in the picture. It’s short 10” stuff that loads in the stove the short way. I don’t recall both 2 & 3 being full at the same time in the 15-20 years we’ve been here. Still have 3/4 of a cord under roof that can wait until next spring. Time to get back into the timber and run a saw. Tired of splitting.
View attachment 7733015
Something tells me you are not done for the year, it's to deep in your blood.
Your not going to be able to turn a good looking log down.

50 bucks says Tom is stacking more wood before Thanksgiving 😆😆😆😆😆

Something tells me you are not done for the year, it's to deep in your blood.
Your not going to be able to turn a good looking log down.

50 bucks says Tom is stacking more wood before Thanksgiving 😆😆😆😆😆
Hard to change the stripes on a Tiger ... 😂

View attachment 7733015
Your 'woodshed' is just amazing I can't help but stop and have a good look every year. Is that bug spray in the spray bottles?

Your 'woodshed' is just amazing I can't help but stop and have a good look every year. Is that bug spray in the spray bottles?
Thanks. The sprayers are Round Up, Forefront (broadleaf herbicide), XLR8 (Crabgrass herbicide), and a general insecticide made by Bayer. I can’t remember the name of it. They need to be flushed and moved to the basement as we’re down in the low 20’s at night now.

Yeah. A lot of the euro offerings are all pretty comparable. If it is really rough work one of those synthetic Fiskars mauls or a cheap generic maul from the local store will work ok.

Be prepared to use your grinder to reprofile a cheap one.

It has some hard use coming with those three trees coming down.....

Than.....

It will hibernate in a dry basement getting the handle hit with linseed oil every now and than as I feed my rubbing linseed oil habit.

The GFB seems to have the heaviest head.

I would also look at some of the US makers. I think council tool is still going strong and making good stuff. All things equal, though, I would bet on the Euro steel being higher quality.

Reactions: pmclaine
I would also look at some of the US makers. I think council tool is still going strong and making good stuff. All things equal, though, I would bet on the Euro steel being higher quality.

Have similar from Sears Craftsman about 30 years old.....

It's a brute and does the job....mine needs to be rehandled.

I typically buy American but it's a matter of great steel vs good steel.