• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The word "Budget"...

Enough Said

Staff Sergeant Taylor
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm starting to see the word "BUDGET" in here as often as the word "TACTICAL" is seen at the S.H.O.T. Show.

There is no such thing as a budget rifle. There's only the rifle you haven't saved long enough for.

I'm not being judgmental. Please understand that. However, when a person settles for a budget rifle you are compromising simply based upon the thought that you are settling on something you can afford NOW as opposed to something you can afford more of LATER.

It's simple; either you can afford to purchase now with funds available plus credit, or you can wait and afford the best, which may be the same equipment that your mentors on Snipers Hide are using. Now, this hobby, sport, or profession is either that, a hobby, sport, or profession. And there are numerous levels of entry, comfort, operation, and exit. Expensive equipment will not make you an expert in anything, however, compromising can afford you nothing but frustration with the process of becoming proficient.

When I became a sniper, they handed me the best rifle available. Not a budget rifle.

Take it from a fellow just getting back to my roots and take your time. Know your level of entry and level of proficiency. Goals are not necessarily important if you are having fun. But, purchasing inferior product just to show up will not make you a better shot.

Take the time to seek formal EDUCATION and you will get the most out of whatever equipment you utilize.

You don't like budget beer or a budget girlfriend.

Don't accept budget equipment.

Again, not offensive in nature. I've been around a while and have been through gear. I learned to watch and listen to what the guys at my level were using and GO FOR IT.

Re: The word "Budget"...

Yea, I have trouble buying something I don't want just because it's cheaper. I always eventually want the top of the line anyway, so I figure I'm actually saving money in the long run beings I'm skipping paying money for the thing I didn't want.

It gets a little depressing though, when you go to buy cars and houses etc because there's like 50million dollar houses out there that I want, lol.

cough <bullshit> cough

most of these guys won't ever shoot the shit to it's potential anyway... if at all, they just want to own some cool shit...

it's the indian, not the arrow

Or you can purchase the best components you can afford and get to the range and start working on the skills necessary to utilize a $4500 rig. Last time I checked you cant practice without a rifle.

What you said was essentially "If you cant afford a rifle that costs as much as a decent used car you shouldnt be on the range."

Thats a great way to alienate those just starting out. Before you were handed that top of the line rifle by your department... Were you shooting with a rifle nearly as good? You developed that skill set over many years. Was every rifle you shot on par with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthernBorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or you can purchase the best components you can afford and get to the range and start working on the skills necessary to utilize a $4500 rig. Last time I checked you cant practice without a rifle.

What you said was essentially "If you cant afford a rifle that costs as much as a decent used car you shouldnt be on the range."

Thats a great way to alienate those just starting out. Before you were handed that top of the line rifle by your department... Were you shooting with a rifle nearly as good? You developed that skill set over many years. Was every rifle you shot on par with it?</div></div>

^^^^^^^ This.

You got to start somewhere and most starting won't outshoot a factory rifle at first so start there and see how much you like the sport and how much time and money you want to put into it and the upgrade later. To say you must dump several thousand just to play seems silly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">most of these guys won't ever shoot the shit to it's potential anyway... if at all, they just want to own some cool shit...</div></div>

Yuuup, you got it.

One reason I like CMP GSM matches, its about the shooter not the rifle.

Though I will admit, an AS ISSUED Springfield 1903a3 does have some "cool" factor.

My budget rifle is exactly what I wanted, I only call it a budget because it cost me no where near what it would had I paid someone else to do the work. Sure as you mentioned, I would have liked to spend more but that simply isn't an option for some of us. And besides that, my rifle has outshot rifles that cost 2 or 3 times more than I paid for it, so how is it inferior?
    I agree with whats been said by the rest, its the person more than the rifle, and since this is just a hobby for me, I'll keep doing things the way I am. Budget or not.

I feel the term is a bit subjective. Budget to me is a $2000 stick, glass and rifle. Not that I can not "afford" higher grade gear, just that I am not an operator, tactician or LEO. Not shooting F-Class or comps (yet). Would I like $8K worth of rifle and glass? Sure, but at this time there would be no ROI on a high ticket rifle other than stroking the rifle before I go to bed.

I hunt and shoot recreational, I do have the skill to read the wind, do the math and place my shots. I can do this with my definition of a "budget rifle".

Another example of need and use is gear. I was looking through an article about the Arc'teryx Shpinx clothing. It looks to be the best one could get for humping up in the mountains. Doesn't look too mall ninja and comes from a pro outdoor gear manufacture. The frickin pants are $700, the top $550. Is it budget to get good columbia or underarmour gear, will I be less effective on a hunt? Probably not, but if I was Senior NCO and had to budget for my guys, and this is what they needed for mission success, then I would not compromise.

Somtimes the price is relative, based on the budget of the intended end user. For instance, the ACI costs over $150 or so for the whole unit, to the civilian that may be a chunk of change for a device that can be replaced with a mildot master, a string and paperclip. To a LEO or military supply person, $150 isnt much to worry about.

Guess my point is buy to the "appropriate" rifle for the intended use. Not gonna buy a Savage axis to shoot 1000Y, and not gonna need a TOL Cheytac and S&B to shoot prairie dogs on BLM land. If a $2000 rifle will get you to 1000Y and you are proud to set up on the line, then so be it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no such thing as a budget rifle. There's only the rifle you haven't saved long enough for.

Don't accept budget equipment.</div></div>

I would agree with saving up. You'll probably spend just as much on a budget build if it was spent on a nice used custom build. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but a barrel life can go beyond 4000 rounds..., right? Hearing or seeing a rifle that's been shot over 300 rounds shouldn't be a turn off being sold used.
    There are so many things to consider when getting into long range shooting... and no, glass is not the only thing to worry about. AMMO! AMMO! AMMO! you will never know your potential or if your skill is improving shooting "Budget" ammo. It's all about consistency and budget ammo isn't as consistent when shooting way out there (pass 500 yards).

Just adding a little more for food for thought... my intentions is not to derail anyone from building a kick ass rifle (hopefully not with budget parts)... I say enjoy what ever you're doing and shoot safe
    smile.gif

Cheers!

If all you case about is accuracy there are some great rifle you can get new for under $2500 and used for as low as $1200. Which will often be able to beat a 4000+ mag feed tactical rifle.

There is a hell of a lot more to shooting then how much you spend on equipment.

A 2 MOA rifle is capable of cleaning a 1000 yard NRA High Power Target, yet few can do it (even with a 1/4 MOA Rifle).

I think one would be better off spending the money on ammo down range.

It's about the software (marksmanship fundamentals, training and practice) then the Hard waare, (equipment).

I have some pretty fancy rifles I can lock in a vice and shoot some pretty good groups, but until I can shoot those same groups in "field" conditions, (what ever condition the task calls for, hunting, competition, etc) I'm not going to waste my money on fancier equipment. I'd rather spend it on ammo and components.

We all have a budget to operate within. Like it or not we all can't/don't make six figure incomes or have four to six thousand dollars to dump into a rifle. For most guys here they will be able to come up with cash for top notch custom rifle with premium optics once in their life time. Also the reality is this simple, one does not need that once in a life time rifle to learn the fundamentals or refine their skill. One of the best training tools is 22 long rifle and working with reduced targets.

With all that being said once you have used a quality rig such as a Tac Ops or GAP then it difficult going back to anything of lesser quality. But does no NEED such a rifle to be proficient with his/her craft? Not at all but it sure is nice to have that rifle with exceptional workmanship. For quantitative evidence of this one has to look no farther then the M24 weapon system. It has been tested in fire and blood and proven itself. However the M24 is still just a factory Remington rifle.

As a college student, I've come to terms with the fact that even if I saved up for a year, I still wont have enough money to buy a TRG or build off of a surgeon action, so to me the "budget" is very real, I have a very limited amount of money to operate with. Saying its a bad thing and telling people to save up sounds very smug to me, just because you can afford a high dollar rifle and optic doesn't mean everyone else can.

Why use a $10,000 rifle when you can just use a $500,000 Tomahawk missile? People who use silly rifles are just haven't saved up long enough for the multimillion dollar launch systems and half-million dollar missiles.

As was said before, there is ALWAYS a budget. Some folks are just starting out, not sure they will stick with it, but want to have fun. $2000 for a complete rig is still a chunk of change for many people, and with that gun, can have plenty of fun. This will hopefully drive them to stick with it and buy/build nicer more expensive rifles as they mature in the sport.

Now when lives are on the line, I agree, get the best of the best. But as the OP said, to some its a hobby, a sport, or a profession. If it's a hobby, and you're having fun, have at it. Now I DO take issue with folks who come out and brag about their cheap off the shelf rifle, and (<span style="text-decoration: underline">insert bird of prey here</span>) scope, and claim it is better than any GAP with a S&B on top, having never seen either in person, much less been behind them. But just having fun, and if you're happy with your purchase, congratulations!! Practice and stick with it!!

For every one person that has 8k to spend on a rifle there are 1000 that would be happy with a $800 savage and probably rarely outgrow the ability of the rifle. Some times I believe some people just think because it cost more must mean it's much better. I love the shooting sports and I do have a couple rifles with glass that cost 2-4k but I can't fathom dropping almost 10k on a hobby rifle. Different if it's your profession but that's not the case for most. Let people enjoy there "budget" rifles and help them get better, not just say about how you should get something better. Not knocking anybody that has a expensive setup just saying it's not for most. And around me a budget rifle would be a weatherby vanguard, a 2k budget rifle is alot of people's dream

What an asshole way to put it. "purchasing inferior product just to show up will not make you a better shot."
    Totally did for me. First competition rifle was an out of the box rem 700 spsv with a nikon monarch scope. Shot it at a few comps then got a b&c stock. shot that for a while then got an aics. shot that for while then added a night force. shot that for a while then rebarreled to 6.5 creedmore.

Point is i sold all the stuff i pulled off as i upgraded and it was a lot easier to justify spending the cash as i progressed. And starting out with a gun i had "just to show up" was the way to go for me.

any new guys reading, dont listen to this asshole, shoot what you have or can afford.

A "budget" rifle is built in confines of a budget....I'm not sure what the problem with that is. If I only have $2500 to get up and running that's what I have. If I shop smart and buy things that hold their value I'll be able to upgrade later. And hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I want/need when the time comes to upgrade. Because honestly until you start shooting you don't know what you need. I thought I'd be fine with out a DBM. First competition changed my mind completely.

Please don't confuse a 'budget' rifle as if it was just the cheapest rifle off the shelf. Besides I get off on out shooting people with my "budget" rifle and pistol.

I think its retarded to call anything a "budget build" simply because, no shit, all builds are on a budget, be it $800 or $10,000. Define budget, cheapest I can get, $800 or $10,000?

And buying the best you can afford is one thing, but to buy better than you can afford is retarded. Nobody should be going in debt they cannot pay just to have cool-guy shit. Lots of guys won't get as into it as some, but you don't know til you try. Why lose 20% of $10,000 worth of equipment you were never good enough to use anyway rather than lose 20% on $1200 worth of equipment?

The best thing to do is go with the best you can buy that won't put you in a bind and upgrade as you learn what you want/need.

Some say an AICS is the BEST, some say a Manners Mini-Chassis is where its at. For some, maybe its a Whiskey 3. Is Hendsoldt the best? Or Premiere Heritage? Maybe its Schmidt or USO. Maybe Remington actions do the trick, or Surgeons, or Stiller. Maybe you don't have the best unless you have a TRG or AI? I'd hate to drop 10k on an AI and a Bender to find I really like the F1 and a GAP.

Some of you act like you just got called a (derogatory word used to insult black folks)

Relax. If you read it again all I'm suggesting is that patience will save you a lot of money in the long run.

I'm an asshole now? But not a low-budget asshole, I guess.

I forgot I might be preaching to the immediate-gratification generation.

Grow up if this thread offends you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of you act like you just got called a (derogatory word used to insult black folks)

Relax. If you read it again all I'm suggesting is that patience will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Grow up if this thread offends you. </div></div>
    wow...i feel the ban hammer coming for you......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting to see the word "BUDGET" in here as often as the word "TACTICAL" is seen at the S.H.O.T. Show.

There is no such thing as a budget rifle. There's only the rifle you haven't saved long enough for.

I'm not being judgmental. Please understand that. However, when a person settles for a budget rifle you are compromising simply based upon the thought that you are settling on something you can afford NOW as opposed to something you can afford more of LATER.

It's simple; either you can afford to purchase now with funds available plus credit, or you can wait and afford the best, which may be the same equipment that your mentors on Snipers Hide are using. Now, this hobby, sport, or profession is either that, a hobby, sport, or profession. And there are numerous levels of entry, comfort, operation, and exit. Expensive equipment will not make you an expert in anything, however, compromising can afford you nothing but frustration with the process of becoming proficient.

When I became a sniper, they handed me the best rifle available. Not a budget rifle.

Take it from a fellow just getting back to my roots and take your time. Know your level of entry and level of proficiency. Goals are not necessarily important if you are having fun. But, purchasing inferior product just to show up will not make you a better shot.

Take the time to seek formal EDUCATION and you will get the most out of whatever equipment you utilize.

Don't accept budget equipment.

Again, not offensive in nature. I've been around a while and have been through gear. I learned to watch and listen to what the guys at my level were using and GO FOR IT.

</div></div>
    What kind of car do you drive? I'm betting it's not a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley or a Bugatti Veyron. Since those are the best cars you should stop driving and save up to eventually and hopefully afford one. That way you'll understand the true fundamentals of driving a good car. Purchasing an inferior car just to get you from point A to point B will not make you a better driver.

Don't accept a budget car.

So what kind of toilet do you take a dump on? Because unless its 24k gold you’re just wasting your time and you would be foolish to think to can piece one together and the need arises. You must save up and hold your fecal matter in until you can afford one.
    gold-bath-2.jpg

BTS_Gold_Inside_05.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    When I became a sniper, they handed me the best rifle available. Not a budget rifle.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I bet not.</span>

I bet that at some point in time a cost/benefit analysis was done and compromises were made to achieve the best ratio of dollars to performance.

I believe it is MUCH more important for a guy to get on a rifle and SHOOT.

It would be a disservice of me to tell a guy with a $1000 budget that he needs to wait six years until he can afford a AI or TRG to learn to shoot.

Will you spend more money buying/selling/trading up as you go? Sure, but if you do it wisely and purchase with an eye on the future, then you are not going to get hurt badly.

One of the points behind my "Budget Precision" series is to demonstrate to a guy how he can get shooting NOW and upgrade along the way as his disposable income allows. As I see it, the project is about four or five steps away from "full custom" rifle and we haven't lost money anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of you act like you just got called a (derogatory word used to insult black folks)

Says the guy who preaches "Don't bother unless you have the best" and got his rifle for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oosickness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what kind of toilet do you take a dump on? Because unless its 24k gold you&#146;re just wasting your time and you would be foolish to think to can piece one together and the need arises. You must save up and hold your fecal matter in until you can afford one.
    gold-bath-2.jpg

BTS_Gold_Inside_05.jpg

</div></div>

VJJ approves this post

68K+ membership, majority in the last 2 yrs. My guess is 75% of the shit bought my new members will be for sale within a year anyhow!! The only reason it was purchased was because it was 'cool' to become a member of 'Snipers Hide' and it is easy to shoot ONE THOUSAND YARDS!

That is why on a daily basis there is the same questions anymore which usually include the words such as "budget", "best", "for the money" and all them words used by people without a flippin clue as to what they are doing. Instead of learning at least something on their own they come here expecting free advice from those that have learned with their own money and time.

Seems nowdays everyone wants 'advice' to save them money or in other words 'freebies'! I been here for a while and rarely post anymore because of this. Then I see newer members with 1000 posts in a year of NOTHING RELEVANT to shooting or this site! Even with my 40+yrs of shooting up until the last couple of yrs I could still learn things. Now it seems all I learn is nobody wants to read through the thousands of threads here where their questions have been asked and answered hundreds of times. Easier to type an unreadable post with shitty spelling in hopes they will have an answer yesterday that didn't cost them anything in time or money.

The give me free advice so I don't have to learn on my own or spend my own money generation! I discovered what the 'best' scope for my intended purpose was by doing/using! I discovered the most accurate load for my rifle was by reloading and shooting the SOB! Not setting on my ass in front of a keyboard on a 'cool' site asking questions of which I wouldn't understand the answer anyway because I have never done it!

There, now I am done and will become the 'new asshole' so the OP is off the hook for a bit.

Have a good day all on the keyboard 'pretending' instead of at the range learning something with a rifle bought because you learned from experience on your own what you wanted not because someone on the net "told you" it was "the best"!!!!

Respectfully,
    The Old Grouch(my new handle from jasonk)
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthernBorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of you act like you just got called a (derogatory word used to insult black folks)

Says the guy who preaches "Don't bother unless you have the best" and got his rifle for free. </div></div>
    Hahahaha! So true!

I hate to see Shooting Sports become a rich man's game.

This is a Single Shot 16 gage, the one my Grandfather fed his family with in the depression, the same one he carried when he supplemented his meger income by doing prisoner transports from the Perry County Court house to Little Rock.

Glad he didn't wait until he could aford a fancy high dollar rifle.

Oh and its the same gun I killed my first deer when I was about 8 years old, with shells I bought by picking up pop bottles along he highway.

guns%20052.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I became a sniper, they handed me the best rifle available. Not a budget rifle.</div></div>I see that you were a sniper for the military of a small Middle Eastern country while also being a member of its ruling family.
    grin.gif

Kraig, awesome post, BTW.
    cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I became a sniper, they handed me the best rifle available. Not a budget rifle.</div></div>I see that you were a sniper for the military of a small Middle Eastern country while also being a member of its ruling family.
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

Actually he was my STA Plt Sgt...LOL

We had lavish riches, just not in the dollar sense. Plush accommodations, free travel, and the food, oh the food, and more coffee than any man could ask for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">68K+ membership, majority in the last 2 yrs. My guess is 75% of the shit bought my new members will be for sale within....... Not setting on my ass in front of a keyboard on a 'cool' site asking questions of which I wouldn't understand the answer anyway because I have never done it!......There, now I am done and will become the 'new asshole' so the OP is off hook...
    Respectfully,
    The Old Grouch(my new handle from jasonk)
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

.....you forgot to yell "Get off my lawn!" and "turn that damn rock-n-roll down!".....j/k

Pics of OP's rifles please.

....someone around here once "all you need is a 4,000 dollar rifle and some spin D"....

Offer words of encouragement to the guy who wants to compromise and you get called an asshole.

Missed the whole point. My original post must have been poorly written. For that I apologize. Point is a shooter doesn't want a budget rifle in the first place. It's a settlement, and that's okay. Whatever gets you in the game if you just want to be a part of the game. But I've always been patient and not settled for second best.

You got those who were snipers before snipers were "cool", you got those who were snipers after sniping was "cool", and you got wannabe snipers who will never be one cool or not.

Each of you know where you fall with respect to those three categories.

To set the record straight:
    I was handed an M40A1 by the Marine Corps of the United States.
    I have never been a Law Enforcement Officer but have close friends who are.
    I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 and own my own home outright, so yes, I can afford a rifle that exceeds my training and experience level.

My first gun was a Stevens .410. I share what you're saying about the 16-gauge, KraigWY. That wasn't the point, as I assume that is not what you shoot matches with.

When I got bored shooting brown bears with a .375 H&H, I started doing so with a Marlin GS Levergun. When I got bored with that I started using a bow. Same for mountain goats, sheep, moose and caribou.

You're not keyboard-bullying a wannabe here. You just trust me on that.

Sorry I pissed in some Cheerios on a Wednesday morning. That was not my objective.

ENOUGH SAID

Marc,

Happy Praying Mantis Day... LOL

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AJnFVFA87I0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey who was our team leader anyway, you or Dubouis ?
    smile.gif

That's a HOT button. I taught him everything he ever knew about a fastrope on the Trenton, and he knows that. He's the same fool who disassembled his MP5 to clean it after fam firing it before insertion. Total Dork.

"Hand me my catchrag, Frank"! LOL Remember that?

You drive a shitty truck. You made a compromise. Should have saved a few more years and got a real truck. You'd be happier that way
    wink.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey.
    It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all.
    When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot... It can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."</span>

I've always taken this as a great explanation as to why to buy once, cry once.

No point in settling for less than you really want or need - it'll just eat away, make you doubt your kit and give you excuses for not pushing yourself.

I hate stuff that doesn't do what it's meant to - frustrating as hell...it doesn't matter if it is a car, a gun or any other sort of tool or device.

Get the best you possibly can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You drive a shitty truck. You made a compromise. Should have saved a few more years and got a real truck. You'd be happier that way
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

The laugh is on you, smartass. I didn't pay a red cent for the truck. Swapped my ex-wife's car for it! No money changed hands.

Sorry to piss in your bowl as well. It'll wash out, don't worry.
    laugh.gif

The word budget is much like the word diet. Diet does not mean that you eat healthy, your diet is what you eat, good or bad. I am on a diet, a diet of pizza and cheese burgers, this does not necessarily make it a health diet, nor does being on a budget mean that you have to spend a certain amount on a rifle. Your budget is what you can afford, or you have set aside for your rifle needs.

I bought the best I could afford at the time to get me shooting. While I would never waste my budget on pure crap (insert Counter Sniper/NC Star joke here). I am a beliver in the "buy once cry once" mentality. I am happy with the quality of product I have purchased and am able to compete to the best of my ability. In fact my ability is the limiting factor at this point, but as it improves, I hope to have the budget to afford better equipment.

I agree that the term "Sniper" is super overrated/overused, I am not, nor ever will be a sniper (maybe due to my diet), but I enjoy shooting and have really begun to enjoy competitions. I appreciate the information on this site, whether it is from real Snipers, or not.

I would like to thank everyone involved on this site for keeping me hooked and helping to spend my budget wisely. My girlfriend would like to fight everyone of you, because her engagement ring is not part is my budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    When I became a sniper, they handed me the best rifle available. Not a budget rifle.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I bet not.</span>

I bet that at some point in time a cost/benefit analysis was done and compromises were made to achieve the best ratio of dollars to performance.

I believe it is MUCH more important for a guy to get on a rifle and SHOOT.

It would be a disservice of me to tell a guy with a $1000 budget that he needs to wait six years until he can afford a AI or TRG to learn to shoot.

Will you spend more money buying/selling/trading up as you go? Sure, but if you do it wisely and purchase with an eye on the future, then you are not going to get hurt badly.

One of the points behind my "Budget Precision" series is to demonstrate to a guy how he can get shooting NOW and upgrade along the way as his disposable income allows. As I see it, the project is about four or five steps away from "full custom" rifle and we haven't lost money anywhere. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roboto1138</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I would like to thank everyone involved on this site for keeping me hooked and helping to spend my budget wisely. My girlfriend would like to fight everyone of you, because her engagement ring is not part is my budget.

</div></div>

My girlfriend ended up with a Schmidt and Bender and a half and became my fiancee. You must be wise beyond your years, sir!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the time to seek formal EDUCATION and you will get the most out of whatever equipment you utilize.</div></div>

One can do this - right here - regardless if they're shooting Bud's Gun Shop special Savage 10FP or the very best cranked out by George Gardner....or a M40 pulled off an armorer's rack.

And personally, I find Yuengling to be a fine compromise between PBR and Sam Adams...

Poor old Simo Häyhä, if he had a high price "gimmick" gun instead of a mosin he might have gotten 506 confirm kills instead of 505, before the Russians got him.

Gunny Hathcok might have gotten 94 or 5 confirms if he wasn't saddled with an old beat up 2 MOA Model 70.

Its the shooter and the amount of time he puts in a rifle, not how much money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marc,

Happy Praying Mantis Day... LOL</div></div>

Ah April 1988. I was sitting in Subic Bay probably getting a "massage" at the Samurai or maybe a Red Horse at T's or Slim's.
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marc,

Happy Praying Mantis Day... LOL</div></div> Ah April 1988. I was sitting in Subic Bay probably getting a "massage" at the Samurai or maybe a Red Horse at T's or Slim's.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>Ahhh... May '88... endless VCR reruns and you guys coming ashore after playing with all those cool toys. All I saw was sand; all I felt was 47 degrees C.