• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal dissipator fit under non JP handguards

bobke

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2010
    Hill Country, Texas
    About to begin a build on a Mega MATEN receiver set for a friend who has chosen to use an available 22” JP Supermatch 6.5CM +2 gas barrel. Will also employ Superlative AGB for same. Deciding whether to go with thermal dissipator now or wait and see how it shoots without, and pretty unlikely there will be extended strings of fire.
    From those who’ve done it, and without any internal interference, whose handguards have you used-other than JP-for large frame applications? Have almost 100% SLR on personal builds, but no JP’s in my experience, other than small frame builds.

I've always wondered what other HG's would accept a thermal dissipator. I guess any tubular or large diameter squarish HG like the Aero that has enough I.D.
    Or maybe the fins could be milled smaller if need be.
    That said, it will not increase accuracy, only cooling surface area.

Reactions: bobke
    I do know the Smoke Composites HG will do it, but it’s like holding the operating end of a baseball bat-light for sure, but a large OD.

Had one under a mega maten monolithic 12", 2014 ish quad rail. It was not easy but doable. I can measure the OD of the thermal for you and share when I'm back Tuesday. It was a 2 person operation to slightly deflect the barrel to slid it under 1 piece at a time. The newer semi monolithic would be much easier if the OD and ID works. Worked great, barrel is burnt at 3K and just set a Craddock Signature series last week.

Thanks for replies. Considering there will be somewhat limited shot strings, and the spare variety of alternate handguards with desired features, we decided to put off installing the TD for now and pick up an SLR. If desired in the future, will modify a TD to fit selected HG. My friend is pretty excited to get build moving after doing his first longer range foray at the ranch. Should be a solid build with a selected component list. Appreciate replies.

If you intend on covering a +2 gas block under the handguard, it will need to be over 16" long. Also, if you intend on using the anti-rotation pin with a non-Zev handguard, there's a couple of other considerations.

Last edited:
    Think this is a SLR Helix, but 16” on +2 gas Krieger from Keystone. Superlative AGB adjustment screw right at flush with front of handguard, on a MATEN build of my own. What other considerations am I missing, respectfully?
    IMG_0126.jpeg

+2 gas Krieger from Keystone
    If you're asking me about the anti-rotation pin, the first thing would be that the rear of the handguard should start with a rail, and not a slot. A lot of handguards start with a slot. The top of the hole in a non-Zev can "window" in a slot. Of course you have to precisely drill a non-Zev handguard yourself, so most don't bother.

I put together my 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun with a Zev receiver set and Zev handguard, with the JP 6.5 barrel. The thermal disappator wouldn't fit, so I didn't use it. Clamp on JP gas block didn't fit either.

Ordered the balance of build opponents yesterday. Have 22” +2 JP 6.5 CM barrel-absent dissipator, Superlative set screw AGB and SLR Ion Ultra Lite handguard. They all fit on my personal builds and should work well for my buddy’s project.

Ordered the balance of build opponents yesterday. Have 22” +2 JP 6.5 CM barrel-absent dissipator, Superlative set screw AGB and SLR Ion Ultra Lite handguard. They all fit on my personal builds and should work well for my buddy’s project.

Good deal! That's the same gas block I went with since the JP didn't fit under my ZEV handguard.