• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal / night vision

Patriotparty

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
Ohio
Hi I’m brand new to this and would appreciate any help.

I’m looking to hunt raccoons from my house… easy shot out back 100 yards … I will also occasionally hunt coyote. Like max 5 times a year. I live in Ohio…. The terrain for the coyote will be farm fields 500 yards of viewing sometimes more….. woods…. Combination of swamp into woods….the woods and swamp will be thick some viewing only 40 yards in daylight bc of brush etc…..max actual shots will probably be taken out to 150 yards most 50-100

I’m thinking max before tax I’d like to spend 3k…..is it best knowing I won’t actively use the thing a bunch to just get a thermal and tripod like a pulsar talion? Should I get a cheaper thermal scanner and night vision scope. If I really get into it I can always add something later…. Where should I consider starting?

Get one of the s35s

Think they have a QD mount so you can use as a scanner.

Strictly offensive lit will hook you up. Or down range thermal

With a budget of $3K I would look at some of the Bering Optics line, Hogster Vibe, Super Yoter R (the 1.5 version is within $$ range).

Currently we have these in stock and happy to give you a Hide discount when you call to order.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Robert

OP, if you want thermal, you have to decide whether you want 640 (pixel width on the front end sensor) or 320/336/384. All other things equal, the 640 will give you more FOV with the same size lens, 320/336/384 (a lot of the chinese units like 384) will give you more magnification.
The 640s will also cost more, typically putting them out of your price range - BUT the S35s are on "fire sale" and you could get into an S35 640 within your price range at the moment ($2899 - and no tax or shipping (to CONUS) for shipping address outside Texas).
For close in shooting like your describing, more FOV is a good thing. For my barnyard defense, I like 1x or 2x or somewhere in between on magnification. If there are two coons out there for instance, I can keep a better eye on both of them with more FOV.

Reactions: DIBBS and BurtG
OP, if you want thermal, you have to decide whether you want 640 (pixel width on the front end sensor) or 320/336/384. All other things equal, the 640 will give you more FOV with the same size lens, 320/336/384 (a lot of the chinese units like 384) will give you more magnification.

This is something I’ve always wondered and have not yet figured out. My usage would be the same as Patriotparty except my max range might be 200 yards. I still can’t quite figure out if I really need a 640 for the better image or not. I wish there was a place one could go to see the performance side by side as I have no personal experience with thermals, only pvs-14’s.

I spent about 3 hours reading about the S35 yesterday and was very tempted to pull the trigger as the same level of quality in a Bearing product would cost about $1000 more. The extra pound of weight and the uncertainty of Steiners direction in the future with thermals kept me on the sidelines. It’s a great unit for that price if you can stand the weight. I’m not sure why they are so heavy.

quite figure out if I really need a 640 for the better image or not. I
Really really makes a difference in non optimal conditions.

They all look good in cold dry conditions. Humid rain etc 640 is 10x better

Reactions: KYAggie
The 640s will also cost more, typically putting them out of your price range - BUT the S35s are on "fire sale" and you could get into an S35 640 within your price range at the moment ($2899 - and no tax or shipping (to CONUS) for shipping address outside Texas).
For close in shooting like your describing, more FOV is a good thing. For my barnyard defense, I like 1x or 2x or somewhere in between on magnification. If there are two coons out there for instance, I can keep a better eye on both of them with more FOV.
Which is a better overall unit S35 or the Burris BTC/BTS. For general use not just close range?

"better overall" is an all encompassing question - even without the "overall" clarifier. Especially when connected to the "for general use" declarifier ! :D

In general, most thermal users like the 640s over the 384s with the idea that you have 4x+ more micro bolometers out front gathering "information" ... and hence are more likely to have a "better image", especially in poor thermal conditions (high humidity) where every oz helps.

The 640 can be "converted" into a 320 by pressing the 2x digital magnification button. So, with the 640, you also get a 320, if you use 2x digial magnification. That's not true for the 384. Pressing 0.5x digital demagnification(in the rare few cases where it exists in a thermal), could give you more FOV, but could not add more pixels if none exist.
Generally, 640s cost $1000-ish more than 320/336/384 in this price range ... and that's due to the more expensive cores.

So, I do believe that the consensus is that 640s are "better".

The usual trade off is price. So, many hog hunters might argue, "I don't need a 640, a 384 works just fine for me". And I think that's true. Typical hog engagement distances are inside 100yds, since we can stalk right up on them. And at those distances "any thermal will do". And the guys picking the 384s are getting the job done at a lower cost.
What makes the S35 unique at this time, is the ability to get into a 640 at a price point usually reserved for the 320/336/384 tier units.

Does that answer the question !!??

Is it true the s35 reticle moved with magnification (throwing zero off) and it takes 10 seconds to zoom from 1-6 power ?

Who has the s35 on sale?

==
Is it true the s35 reticle moved with magnification?
Not if you zero the s35 at each mag level you will shoot at (this is the intended process)

==
Let me check on the 10s question

EDIT: It takes about 1 second per bump to the digital magnification settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
I have a few questions I can’t seem to find answers for in the literature.

What is the optical magnification of the S35?

Is there any ability for digital multiplication/magnification?

What are the dimensions?

Weight with or without batteries?

Thanks, your deal on these is killing me and likely my wallet, I just want to make sure my expectations of what I’m buying is correct.

Ok, here's spec sheet ( available online via a link on this page https://www.steiner-optics.com/imaging-systems/nighthunter-s35 )
52504099611_09c9c8a3a5_b.jpg

So that answers most of the questions, I'd add updates for clarifications after I post this first.

==

What is the optical magnification of the S35?
2x per above spec sheet

Is there any ability for digital multiplication/magnification?
1x to 8x per above spec sheet

What are the dimensions?
8x3.5x3 (IN) per above spec sheet

Weight with or without batteries?
36 oz with batteries per above spec sheet

Last edited:
So that answers most of the questions, I'd add updates for clarifications after I post this first.

Ahhhh, I went back to Steiner’s web page as I’ve looked at it a couple times, but did not see this information. I now see there is a pdf link for this at the very bottom of the page I had missed. Thanks!

From this literature, it looks like the base magnification is 2x and you can digitally zoom to 8x, which would pretty much destroy the image I imagine.

Another question. If you digitally zoom 2x it would be similar to looking through a 4x scope optically, but the picture would resemble a 320 core pixel wise?

This is very tempting as a the similar unit from Bering, the Super Yoter R 35 mm is a cool grand more, although it’s half the weight in a more compact package with twice the warranty.

Another question. If you digitally zoom 2x it would be similar to looking through a 4x scope optically, but the picture would resemble a 320 core pixel wise?
Correct !

Reactions: KYAggie
Thanks again for the great deal, it put me over the edge and I ordered one. Can’t wait to play with it in December.

Reactions: wigwamitus

==

Not if you zero the s35 at each mag level you will shoot at (this is the intended process)

==
Let me check on the 10s question

EDIT: It takes about 1 second per bump to the digital magnification settings.
I saw something about this on the internet and emailed customer support about it no reply as yet…… do most thermals require you to sight in at each zoom level? If not I will pony up more money for a different thermal.