• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal recommendations

tm1993

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2022
Nashville
Hey guys, would love recommendations/reviews on thermals. Looking to make a purchase in the coming weeks and budget is $3-6K.

I’d like to use the thermal for hunting for clip on use with my 6.5CM Tikka w/ NF ATACR 5-25, 5.56 Rifle with 1-6 LPVO, and as a handheld.

So far, I’ve been considering the Iray Rico Micro 640, Steiner C35, Accufire Tech Incendis, and Pulsar FXG50 Krypton. Undecided if I care about wanting the ability to record.

Still have a lot to learn about thermal but open to any recommendations and advice.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I like the Krypton because it’s not chyneeese and compact/lightweight. However, based on reviews, 6x seems to be where pixels start getting blurry.

That’s what makes me lean towards the C35 as feedback says even 10x can be usable. I can’t get over the size and weight of the C35 though. My LMT MWS is already 13lbs. Adding another 2lbs of thermal is not enticing. For that amount of weight, it better use my whole magnification range.

I think the Krypton is the true best value at sub $6k price and it not being a chinesium unit rebranded by X Y Z company. My local Scheels store has one in stock, but the battery was dead. I was amazed how lightweight it was but didn’t feel cheap either. I also like the picatinny rail on the side. You could attach a TOR MINI IR laser for designating areas of interest for those with NV. Or, turn on the laser after you’ve shot the game animal pointing where it went down, then walk out there with your nods on and just follow the laser.

Reactions: Dough300

You might want to take a look at this post . It might be too late, I think the order goes in today.

Reactions: spamassassin
I have a Super Yoter 50. For $4k it’s been excellent. It doesn’t record internally otherwise I think it’s fantastic. There’s a couple threads on here to read through.

Watch the Krypton review that the "Late night vision show" on YT did not too long ago.
I too was looking at the Krypton and glad I didn't commit until I saw more reviews on it.
I ended up with a C35 from HH. It's been great and is packed with features compared to the Krypton.

Reactions: aslrookie
I just got a C35 so don’t have a whole lot of time on it yet but for the price it’s going at right now, I can’t justify getting anything else under 5-6k. I’ve got it in front of a razor 1-6 right now. I put it in front of an atacr 4-16 and it is usable up to 10x like others have said but I think it’s bests with an LPVO. The onboard recording is pretty cool and the Bluetooth connectivity will be really handy so I’m not fumbling around with buttons in the dark. The biggest issue is obviously the weight but I’m probably gonna be shooting this almost exclusively off a tripod so I am ok with it.

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the C35 or the RH25 at this point. What’s the advantages of one over the other? I’m okay spending extra if it’s worth the price.

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the C35 or the RH25 at this point. What’s the advantages of one over the other? I’m okay spending extra if it’s worth the price.

No experience with the RH25 but it can be used as a handheld scanner, helmet mounted, stand alone thermal scope, or a clip on. Based on some comparison video JW ramp posted, the C35 seems to be usable at higher mag and the image seems to be a little better. Also the weight and size of the RH25 vs C35.

I have 2 of the C35's. At 10x they're just fine. 14x pixelation gets kinda yucky but it's still usable. 20x serious pixelation which affects usability. 25x fuhgedabowdit.
This is a game changer. The PR2 reticle is optimized for NV clip ons at 12x mag. My reticle is useable at 5x, so being able to comfortably use 10x sells me on it. I thought 10x was the top, but it sounds like this will do the trick.

Watch the Krypton review that the "Late night vision show" on YT did not too long ago.
I too was looking at the Krypton and glad I didn't commit until I saw more reviews on it.
I ended up with a C35 from HH. It's been great and is packed with features compared to the Krypton.
What made you glad you didn't get it? I thought that YT video had really good feedback about it, but I've been diving into thermals so much that I can't keep track of specific videos/feedback.

Burris BTS 50 best imagery for the $$. Get a set of quick detach mounts and it can go quickly from hand held scanner to rifle scope. I can clearly differentiate hogs from deer out to 700 yards or so. 200 yards on yotes is doable but 200 yards in the dark is a long ways.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
Take a look at the Pulsar Thermion XG50 3-24x42 Thermal Riflescope
Pulsar’s Thermion XG50 3-24x42 thermal riflescope surpasses every demand of the modern shooter. Combining 640x480 microbolometer strength with 12-micron pixel detail, the XG50 delivers 2,400-yard thermal detection range in stunning clarity on a 1024x768 AMOLED display. The XG50 boasts 8x digital zoom and Picture-in-Picture to accommodate varmint, hog or big-game hunters in virtually any environment. Featuring the highly-sought BAE sensor with color palettes and built-in recording with audio, users are assured their memories are captured and preserved. With Wi-Fi connectivity and compatibility with the Stream Vision App, recoil activation, 5 rifle profiles, 13 variable electronic reticles and one-shot zeroing freeze function, the XG50 towers above every other thermal riflescope on the planet.

• 640x480 resolution - 12μm pixel pitch core
  • 2400 yd detection range
  • 8x digital zoom - continuous zoom and 2x/4x/8x stepped zoom
  • Picture in picture digital zoom
  • Built-in recording with recoil activation
  • Stream Vision app connects scope to smart device
  • External power supply adaptable
  • 5 rifle profiles with 50 zero saves
  • 13 variable electronic reticles
  • One-shot zeroing with freeze function
  • Color viewing modes
  • High resolution AMOLED display