• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Scope Recommendations

WhiskeyMtn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
Comifornia
Hello Ya'll!

First time posting here, but have been reading the forum for years, so Ive got a pretty good sense that this group will be able to lead me in the right direction!

Im in the market for a thermal scope to aide me in predator control on my ranch. Last year was a bad one for livestock deaths due to predators, and with the dry year we have had so far, its emboldened the predators to come on over to my version of Costco.

My main predator issue is Coyotes. Given recent observations & sounds, there are probably at least 20x yotes wandering around. We also get frequent visits by bear, bobcat, foxes, and lions.

I can safely shoot out to 500yds on my ranch, most engagements with spot lights so far have been in the 100-200yd range.

I would like to be able to throw this thermal on everything from a .22 LR to a .338 LM.

I dont "influence" on social media so the ability to record video/sound isnt paramount, i really just need to get PID on these predators and neutralize them before they reach the livestock.

I was hoping to get a clip-on, but have since learned they may not be the best option given how theyre image could distort as I zoom in with my regular scopes, but ive never personally used one, so id love to hear opinions on them.

As far as budget, there isnt one for a good scope, last year alone I lost close to 8k in livestock (accounting for loss in profit as well). Ive convinced my accountant (wife) its a neccesary ranch expense, just now need to find the right one.

What do ya'll recommend?

I have two Berring Optics Hogsters, I like them both. One is a Clip on and another is a dedicated scope. If I had it to do over, I would pass on the clip on and go dedicated with both. It works well, but the forward weight and focus ring (front of themal) is awkward. The dedicated is much easier to use.

Mine are in the 2.5k-4.0k price range and I think the best value. It is hard to go cheaper and not end up with Junk, and going higher is nicer, but will not likely increase the shots taken or hits out to 400yds on yotes.

I have

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...ng-optics-hogster-35mm-compact-thermal-scope/

And

You might be intrested in

Or

I have no affiliation with Berring Optics or any retailers, just a fan boy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luka and DIBBS
Old Man w/Gun, thank you for your recommendation! I have had my eye on the Super Yoter, however I was a bit upset when Bering confirmed it wouldnt go past the recoil of a .308, which to be honest isnt a super deal killer because the amount of times Id mount it on my .338 LM and up (in recoil) is likely negligable to the shots Id take with a .308 and below.

If my research is correct only the N-Visions are rated up to 50 BMG, and the Pulsars top out at .375 H&H (pretty close in recoil to .338 LM). However the availability of NVisions is generally non-existant right now, however my yote problem is "now" sooo... its been a struggle on which optic to purchase, especially when dropping the amount of $$ to get a good, reliable unit.

I use a Bearing Optics Hogster R35. Very happy with this unit for the cost

For best results for what you want I’d suggest 2 units. Either a decent scope on the rifle (thermal or NV) and a handheld thermal scanner which can be another cheaper scope or a dedicated scanner. Lots of good cheaper options on the market now

You can always scan with a thermal scope like the R35 then clip on the gun when you want to shoot but this is a pain

A thermal on a 338 LM wouldn’t be ideal for scanning before and after you shoot to detect other predators

I’ve also owned pulsar units and have always been impressed by those as well

Reactions: DIBBS
The Hogsters are great on AR platforms, my favorite is 6.5 Grendel, but they all work well.

To me the ranges involved at night are fine for an AR and I like fast follow up shots. The cheek weld is fine on an AR, I think on most bolt guns you will be too high.

Understand that if you go clip on you can't use more than about 6x max and need a low of around 1.5-2x to see the screen in full. I use mine with a 1-6x24 mostly. I thought it would work with my long range setups and it just dosen't.

There's a thread here somewhere about the Bering Super Yoter C clip on. Should be good for a bit more magnification than the hogsterC. Probably going to be rated for the same recoil as the other Bering devices. I would think 308 would have plenty of reach for what you're wanting to do though.

Reactions: stefan73
Bering states .308 for a recoil rating but I have talked to the person in charge at Bering and has confirmed, all the Hogsters and Yoters should be able to handle twice the recoil of a .308. Bering always under-promises and over-delivers on their specs.

I shot 304 coyotes last winter with the combination of a Super Hogster and a Phenom Scanner. For someone who actively calls coyotes, a thermal scanner is THE most important part of their setup. I have since switched to the Super Yoter and have over 100 taken in the last month. Is the Super Yoter better than the Super Hogster, my answer is yes, but not if it means you don't have enough funds left over to buy a Phenom. I have used every Bering Optic scope or scanner released in the last 4 years, and have tested lots of other brands. I will PM you my phone number and will provide any information you need. I am affiliated with Night Goggles but I get $0 commissions on sales, so everything I tell you is going to based on experience not trying to line my pockets with cash.

@kirsch is an awesome source of information when it comes to bearing optics

Another great source when I was searching for my thermal purchase was a YouTube channel “The Late Night Vision Show” they give great reviews on lots of the current options out there

Reactions: stefan73 and DIBBS
Can confirm on the phenom. Had mine for a while now and it's an excellent scanner for the $. I plan to pair it with the yoterC.

I have a Trijicon Reap IR 2 in 35 mm. It’s outstanding at the distances you’ve described. I use it on an 18 inch 6.5 Grendel on a tripod and I’m not sure what it’s rated for. But remember, when you use a thermal scope your eye is very close to the eyepiece so I’m not sure I would want to use one on a heavy recoiling rifle. If you want something for high recoil a clip on with a standard eye relief optic might work better but I have no experience with them so I’m not sure.

Reactions: mikefraz
I have a Trijicon Reap IR 2 in 35 mm. It’s outstanding at the distances you’ve described. I use it on an 18 inch 6.5 Grendel on a tripod and I’m not sure what it’s rated for. But remember, when you use a thermal scope your eye is very close to the eyepiece so I’m not sure I would want to use one on a heavy recoiling rifle. If you want something for high recoil a clip on with a standard eye relief optic might work better but I have no experience with them so I’m not sure.
I would also recommend a stand alone thermal scanner but you can get away with a cheaper 384 scanner because you just need to see if there is anything alive out there. Then check it out with the magnified 640 scope.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
"Real" Thermal Clipons, like the Oasys units or the LWTS-LR are primarily for long distance, even well beyond 500yds. And IDK what your advisors mean by "distortion" - never 'erd of 'er. :D
With a real thermal clipon, if you can make the shot in the day, you can make it at night out to 900yds+. Wind calling is a bit more difficult without as many visual clues.
But these critters cost $13k to $23k and aren't easy to find as there aren't many of them out there. If you really want one, and have the cash ready when we find one, you can get one. And that's definitely the route I've gone. I like the confidence of being able to use the day scope reticle night or day, rain or shine, hot or cold and get 1st rd hits out to 900yds.

If that isn't for you, then the next best thing is the HALO-LR XRF. With the integrated range finder, and mil-hash holding reticles, getting yotes out to 500yds is not a problem if you could make the shot during the day. These are available under $10k.

I second Wigwam's recommendation of an Nvision unit. Made in USA and image quality is second to none. I got a Nox-35 from Strictly Offensive Kit and it has been stellar so far. Made hits to 400 with it on an AR. If I was going to shoot that far regularly, I'd go with what he recommended and get a 50mm optic like the Halo series. Wigwam won't steer you wrong.

NVision Halo X LRF. It is awesome. The rangefinder in it is legit, and comes in extremely handy when you have to hold over a little, especially for yotes. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: 300NIMP
I would also recommend a stand alone thermal scanner but you can get away with a cheaper 384 scanner because you just need to see if there is anything alive out there. Then check it out with the magnified 640 scope.
I know this is a very common statement, but I respectfully have the total opposite feeling. For a hog scanner, where you drive up to a field and scan quick and move on to the next spot, OK I can get on board with that. For a coyote scanner where you are spending 99% of the time on a scanner, I have no time for a crappy image that is hard to tell a rabbit from a coyote from a deer. On top of this most 384 scanners tend to have a smaller FOV and higher base magnification which is the opposite of what works the best for most coyote hunters. Just my .02.

There's a thread here somewhere about the Bering Super Yoter C clip on. Should be good for a bit more magnification than the hogsterC. Probably going to be rated for the same recoil as the other Bering devices. I would think 308 would have plenty of reach for what you're wanting to do though.
GreenMushroom, the Yoter C is actually rated for higher recoil than the R (stand alone) models. Per Bering, the Yoter C can be used with heavy recoil weapons including 30-06 Spring Mag., .300 H&H, and .375 H&H. The specs on the Yoter C can be found here.

Kirsch, good to know about the Bering Optics, especially the Yoter C. Ive got the whole lineup of leupold Mark5 scopes and I really like them and wanted to use them vs. Replacing the rifles primary day scope with a thermal scope option.

Wigwamitus, I had heard the non-professional clip-ons (minus the LWTS, EoTec, and Oasys units) provided a distorted image past 6x-8x from the daytime optic. My primary daytime optics start off at 3x, 5x, and 7x so that concerned me with a "hunting clip-on". I cant remember what my snipers used (in USMC) but they never complained about theyre Thermal or NV optics, so I assume they were much better than what civilians can buy off the web.

Im pretty sold on the N-Vision line of optics, but finding them in stock is the frustrating issue now. I can find Pulsars (thermion / thermion 2 models, sometimes the 640x480 version) and Trijicons (mostly the Hunter Mk3 series) but cant find the NVision Nox35 or Halo-X models. I have seen Berings in-stock but cant remember if the Super Yoter was one of that brand the various companies had in stock (ive looked at probably 15-20 resellers of these optics so its easy to get confused).

If finding an thermal thatll work with my .338LM is going to price me out of the "standard line-up" then I wouldnt mind finding an optic that I can mount on my .300 AAC or 6.5CM to get rid of the yotes.

As far as the Trijicons are concerned, why do some like the REAPs better than the Hunter MK3s?

Get a dedicated night gun and skip the clipon. Halo XRF is best of breed, but it’s also double the cost of Bering stuff, so your discretionary income plays a large part in the selection process.

I would NOT buy a Trijicon unit over a Halo — and I have both the v2 60mm Reap and Halo LR and XRF.

So the REAP and Hunter MK3s have different controls, but are they that much different from an optical perspective?

How would yall rate the Berings & Pulsars against the Trijicons? Ive heard the Trijicons are kinda behind the times in the technology department compared to the NVision stuff, but im curious how they compare to the non-NVision optics.

Take a look at the Pulsar Trail 2 LRF XQ50 or Trail 2 LRF XP50. Even Thermion 2 XP50 or Thermion 2 XQ50. All will get the job done well. As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

I have the pulsar trail xp38. It’s pretty awesome… much better image than the ATN I had prior.

Kirsch, good to know about the Bering Optics, especially the Yoter C. Ive got the whole lineup of leupold Mark5 scopes and I really like them and wanted to use them vs. Replacing the rifles primary day scope with a thermal scope option.

Wigwamitus, I had heard the non-professional clip-ons (minus the LWTS, EoTec, and Oasys units) provided a distorted image past 6x-8x from the daytime optic. My primary daytime optics start off at 3x, 5x, and 7x so that concerned me with a "hunting clip-on". I cant remember what my snipers used (in USMC) but they never complained about theyre Thermal or NV optics, so I assume they were much better than what civilians can buy off the web.

Im pretty sold on the N-Vision line of optics, but finding them in stock is the frustrating issue now. I can find Pulsars (thermion / thermion 2 models, sometimes the 640x480 version) and Trijicons (mostly the Hunter Mk3 series) but cant find the NVision Nox35 or Halo-X models. I have seen Berings in-stock but cant remember if the Super Yoter was one of that brand the various companies had in stock (ive looked at probably 15-20 resellers of these optics so its easy to get confused).

If finding an thermal thatll work with my .338LM is going to price me out of the "standard line-up" then I wouldnt mind finding an optic that I can mount on my .300 AAC or 6.5CM to get rid of the yotes.

As far as the Trijicons are concerned, why do some like the REAPs better than the Hunter MK3s?
Weight and compact size for me on the Reap. My hunting buddy has the MK3 and is rather beastly by comparison. But as in all things there is a cost and in the Reap it is energy……it really sucks the juice so an external battery pack is a must.

In comparing my image SXS to his MK3 several times in differing conditions my Reap is noticeably better…..no matter the settings….so either my buddy has a unit that needs some TLC or my Reap’s 2 trips back to Trijicon had them decide to add the secret coding to make it perform at peak. In comparison to my Halo LR it really is about the same image…….at least on live critters….but the Halo LR has an edge on base mag and a little better background image……my setups reflect that with Reap on a .308 AR pistol for stalking, woods, and close up action and Halo on a 16” .308 AR rifle for longer engagements and feeder watching.

Following.
Lots of very valuable advise coming in here from some folks in the know. Matches what I have learned the hard way so far.

I know this is a very common statement, but I respectfully have the total opposite feeling. For a hog scanner, where you drive up to a field and scan quick and move on to the next spot, OK I can get on board with that. For a coyote scanner where you are spending 99% of the time on a scanner, I have no time for a crappy image that is hard to tell a rabbit from a coyote from a deer. On top of this most 384 scanners tend to have a smaller FOV and higher base magnification which is the opposite of what works the best for most coyote hunters. Just my .02.
This is a decision where time afield hunting in the terrain you actually hunt in comes into play.
For me, the scope is 640 res and spotter 384.
I might have to shoot at further distances and having the 640 res enables me to do that.
When magnifying 384 res, your giving up clarity.
I had both 640 and 384 res spotters.
When I field tested them side by side, "to me", it wasn't worth the extra $1,600+ for the 640 res.
I bought another AGM TM15 384 and a helmet mount after I sold the 640.
I had enough left over to take the wife out to dinner.
The TM15 has a wide FOV, records and is helmet mountable.
Hands free spotting with a thermal is the way to go.

BOCO.jpg

Thank you for not putting a price cap first off. Anything good is expensive and WORTH IT! I have 3 Nvision thermals and only the the Nox 18 could be swapped for another Nox 35 but it's nice not having any real magnification in one of my thermals.

This thread has been awesome and has really given me alot to think about! I chose to not put a price range, because as a rancher, it isnt how little I can spend but what I can spend that is worth the money.

Last year alone I lost $7k in livestock kills to coyotes, in total over the last 3yrs im over $10k in losses, maybe more if I include the cost of water and the babies I wasnt able to create to then sell for my business.

If a $9.5k optic will aide me in getting rid of my predator problem then from an ROI standpoint it makes sense. I dont think ill be able to find the Halo XRF soon enough to satisfy my impulsive buying behavior, but Im confident even the Bering Super Yoter will be effective. Afterall Im not a professional hunter, Im attempting to make ranching a profession, but if I loose my livestock to predators, thatll make the business model faulter. Not to mentiom, as a rancher I got other expenses to contend with lol.

I dont think ill be able to find the Halo XRF soon enough to satisfy my impulsive buying behavior, but Im confident even the Bering Super Yoter will be effective.
There’s a used Halo LR that might work for your usage. Haven’t really found a good review yet that compares the LR to the X or SY.

If yer only going to 500, the NOX will suit you fine. I recently got mine on heated steel plates at 400-yds with my AR at a local NV shoot. The image quality is typical Nvision stuff....i.e., awesome. Forgive the graininess of the photos....I think there's some compression issue when saving them from MS Paint in my computer. I like the smaller size of the NOX-35 and how lightweight it is on my AR.

TVP ranges.jpg

You can easily see the steel plates (white-hot squares) at the berms out to 500 yds. I have a shorter can still in "jail". Hopefully it is released soon so I can stop using this 9" long .30-cal behemoth! LoL

500ydDeer01.jpg

There were deer walking around all over the place. No zoom.

500ydDeer02.jpg

Another deer a bit further east, at 2x zoom.

Hope this helps.

Used halos are below 6k typically. Great optic.

If you need to go past 300 yards you’ll need a range finder and it will need to be weapon mounted. That is an additional expense and limited options.

I would say you should have a scanner 100% even if you cheap out on the rifle optic. Hunched over a gun looking for critters misses so much, makes you move a lot(noise and movement bad when hunting) and will tire you quickly.

In the dark you don’t need to shoot 500 yards with yotes. Shit, we have had them practically jump in our laps. 100-200 yards is easy to call them to, keep it to that. More ethical until you can afford the good equipment to shoot farther. Concentrate on calls and get them to you vs going to them.

Reactions: DIBBS and kirsch
I have a NOX35. I have killed coyotes, hogs, armadillos - you name it from Florida to the Dakotas. It’s amazing.

I shoot 75gr GDHPs through a 12.5” Noveske barrel out to >200y. It has a great mil reticle and if I had it on a larger caliber rifle I would have zero issues shooting hogs or coyotes out to 500y, but as JGunner said there’s no need. 350y is as far as I care to ethically shoot an animal even while hunting with a day scope as well.

The ability to detect damn near a mile and shoot out as far as your rifle is good for is cool but it’s easier to just walk right up to them or their bait pile or call them in when it’s dark. I almost went cheaper but I’m so glad I didn’t.

Attachments

• 618B0133-1828-4B3B-811C-7E98D2C16043.jpeg
    618B0133-1828-4B3B-811C-7E98D2C16043.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I agree in general with HelloFren and Jgunner to call them close and most initial shots are probably 150 and in. However, this is the first shot. There are lots of coyote stands where I call in multiple coyotes at one time. After shooting the first, vs mag dumping if a hunter is patient, they can hit a howl/bark/pup distress, etc and coyotes will stop at anywhere from 200-400 yards. I shoot a lot of coyotes at this range every year and it isn't because I can't call in coyotes. It is the multiples that I shoot. It helped me shoot over 300 coyotes last year and 160+ already this this fall/winter.

I agree in general with HelloFren and Jgunner to call them close and most initial shots are probably 150 and in. However, this is the first shot. There are lots of coyote stands where I call in multiple coyotes at one time. After shooting the first, vs mag dumping if a hunter is patient, they can hit a howl/bark/pup distress, etc and coyotes will stop at anywhere from 200-400 yards. I shoot a lot of coyotes at this range every year and it isn't because I can't call in coyotes. It is the multiples that I shoot. It helped me shoot over 300 coyotes last year and 160+ already this this fall/winter.

No doubt. My point was that if someone is budget strapped and buys a $3k scope vs a $6k scope - let’s pretend for a second that the $3k scope is limited to 300y, which most aren’t - you can still shoot just about anything you like.

In re-reading I’m not sure why I went that direction with my post anyway. OP lost $8k in livestock last year and doesn’t have a budget.

Throw that NOX 35 on a 6mm AI and start blasting those yotes as soon as they come out of the trees/over the hill at 500y :)

Reactions: DIBBS
This has got to be the best advice ive ever gotten from a forum!

Ya'll are on point with knowledge and real world experiences!

I was originally going to go with the Bering SY, but am heavily leabing towards the NVision optics, specifically the NOX35 because i can weapon mount or helmet mount it. Yes that sounds like a dumb reason, but I like stuff that can function in multiple ways.

My goal is to invest in a thermal and a dual-tube NV setup so trying to figure out where to get both has been hard.

Ive probably said this before, but these yotes are on my place every night, I just cant ever get a good shot on them (not a professional predator hunter), and recently a lion has been wrecking our nieghbors livestock as well, so itd be nice to capture that on some thermal video to prove to the rangers that it needs to be removed.

Anyone running this scope?

Bering Optics HOGSTER Stimulus 2.3-4.6x19mm​

Seems reasonably priced

This has got to be the best advice ive ever gotten from a forum!

Ya'll are on point with knowledge and real world experiences!

I was originally going to go with the Bering SY, but am heavily leabing towards the NVision optics, specifically the NOX35 because i can weapon mount or helmet mount it. Yes that sounds like a dumb reason, but I like stuff that can function in multiple ways.

My goal is to invest in a thermal and a dual-tube NV setup so trying to figure out where to get both has been hard.

Ive probably said this before, but these yotes are on my place every night, I just cant ever get a good shot on them (not a professional predator hunter), and recently a lion has been wrecking our nieghbors livestock as well, so itd be nice to capture that on some thermal video to prove to the rangers that it needs to be removed.
I would gladly come take care of the predator problem you have.

Reactions: BFD Guns
Another thing that might help you out. See if you have any Hide shooters living near you and invite them to help reduce your predator population. Maybe you might find a guy like Kirsch or someone that is proficient at calling and hunting? Good luck!

Anyone running this scope?

Bering Optics HOGSTER Stimulus 2.3-4.6x19mm​

Seems reasonably priced
It is good for a $1,500 scope. PID can be difficult at range. It is ok for around a property type stuff. When testing this unit, I had a rabbit at 75 yards away curled up in a ball. I could’ve easily shot it but could not positively identify it. I pulled up a Phenom, Super Hogster, and super Yoter, and could easily tell it was a rabbit on all the other devices.

You can’t expect $10K quality at $1,500. Night Goggles had them in stock last time I checked.

It is good for a $1,500 scope. PID can be difficult at range. It is ok for around a property type stuff. When testing this unit, I had a rabbit at 75 yards away curled up in a ball. I could’ve easily shot it but could not positively identify it. I pulled up a Phenom, Super Hogster, and super Yoter, and could easily tell it was a rabbit on all the other devices.

You can’t expect $10K quality at $1,500. Night Goggles had them in stock last time I checked.
Just checking for other people that are looking to get into thermal game. I run a reap IR and a pulsar XP50 for a scanner, for coyote hunting. Most people are blown away by the image after I show them, then immediately turned off by the price. What do you use/hunt?

Just checking for other people that are looking to get into thermal game. I run a reap IR and a pulsar XP50 for a scanner, for coyote hunting. Most people are blown away by the image after I show them, then immediately turned off by the price. What do you use/hunt?
Bering Optics Super Yoter for scope and Phenom for scanner. Super Hogster is still good but more affordable than the Super Yoter.

I hunt coyotes in ND so open plains type hunting. I shot 304 last winter and have over 180 so far this winter. I have owned the XP 50 and in my opinion both the Phenom and Super Yoter have a better image especially in humidity. In addition, they are less expensive and have a better warranty. This is not casting any stones at the XP50 as it has a good image.

Last edited:
Solocam, let me get setup first, dont worry theyre will be plenty of yotes left for you or anyone else! Our nieghbor feeds the pack year round via gut piles from the cattle he butchers.

Bering Optics Super Yoter for scope and Phenom for scanner. Super Hogster is still good but more affordable than the Super Yoter.

I hunt coyotes in ND so open plains type hunting. I shot 304 last winter and have over 180 so far this winter. I have owned the XP 50 and in my opinion both the Phenom and Super Yoter have a better image especially in humidity. In addition, they are less expensive and have a better warranty. This is not casting any stones at the XP50 as it has a good image.
Kirsch,
Did Bering ever come up with a external battery mount for the phenom? The phenom interests me a lot, but the battery life in 10 deg and colder concerns me.