• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Scopes

Bowtech99

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2020
I've browsed this site for years but never joined, always found my answers and usually feel my questions are sub par at best.

I've been hunting with Armasight Zues for several years, time has taken its toll. Picture Clarity is fading and battery troubles have me looking for a new optic. I'm really drawn to Pulsar and would like to try out their products. So on to my question:

I have $3500 to spend right now, what would be recommended to buy and capable of 300yd-500yd shots? Or, should I continue to save money for a better optic? Current setup is .300 win mag for shooting deer and hogs

Attachments

• 20200617_143229.jpg
    20200617_143229.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
Pulsar is solid. Bering Optics Hogster is another solid choice. The iRAY core in the Hogster is excellent.

Reactions: Bowtech99
I went from a Zeus to a Pulsar Trail a few years ago. Overall I like it a lot better. The only legitimate complaint I have about the Pulsars is the Stream Vision app. I always get it to work, just not usually on the first try.

Why are you using a 300 Win Mag for shooting deer and hogs? Tons of recoil for followup shots. Hard on the thermal too.

Reactions: TheHorta
Why are you using a 300 Win Mag for shooting deer and hogs? Tons of recoil for followup shots. Hard on the thermal too.

Because he also uses a 16-lb sledgehammer to drive finish nails.

Nothing but the best for his pests. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: nmmi9100
Just downgraded to Tikka .300 WSM, hope your happy. Hunting at 2am etc.. you tend not to want to track deer no further than you have too, especially shooting 3-4 a night. Using a larger caliber provides a bit of extra knock down power. And paired with clean shots you dont ruin any meat.

Also went with Pulsar Digex paired with Coyote Cannon. Couldn't be happier. Thermal is nice but NV provided extra cash for more toys.

Trying to shoot 300-500 yards is a stretch for a thermal in this price range. The Flir PTS536 and PTS736 were a possibility but no longer made but that is still a long poke for those scopes. You may want to consider a Thermion XM50 but the issue is when you get to this much base mag, they aren't great for close range shooting. The Hogster 35 was mentioned earlier. In my opinion it is the best value in thermal industry right now. However, it is not a 500 yard scope. You will see targets much farther, but it is not designed to take consistent shots at those ranges.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I’ve used just about every thermal known to man that is made from Obtanium. Even on the absolute-best ones (UTC-Xii, LWTS-LR, Reap 60mm, etc) I have yet to use one where I’d feel 100% comfortable taking a shot at anything smaller than an adult cow at 500+ yards.

Sure, you can “detect” all kinds of things at 3-4x that range, but concrete PID is, at least for my subpar sniper skill set, all but impossible outside that range.

Now, if you are Special and have access to some cooled MWIR HD stuff, then you have some options.

I’ve used just about every thermal known to man that is made from Obtanium. Even on the absolute-best ones (UTC-Xii, LWTS-LR, Reap 60mm, etc) I have yet to use one where I’d feel 100% comfortable taking a shot at anything smaller than an adult cow at 500+ yards.

Sure, you can “detect” all kinds of things at 3-4x that range, but concrete PID is, at least for my subpar sniper skill set, all but impossible outside that range.
You can always do like some dudes I have unfortunately encountered over the years hunting and try "Pot Luck". Them's the kind that say "I saw them bush's shake so I shot."

Yeah, that is a one and done hunting experience with any like that. Now and then you will encounter a clown like that at the many Deer Camps down south. Usually a City Slicker guest of a member.

Reactions: TheHorta
Trying to shoot 300-500 yards is a stretch for a thermal in this price range. The Flir PTS536 and PTS736 were a possibility but no longer made but that is still a long poke for those scopes. You may want to consider a Thermion XM50 but the issue is when you get to this much base mag, they aren't great for close range shooting. The Hogster 35 was mentioned earlier. In my opinion it is the best value in thermal industry right now. However, it is not a 500 yard scope. You will see targets much farther, but it is not designed to take consistent shots at those ranges.
Yeah, I got both the PTS 536 and 736. They both good, but the 736 with 75 mm of Germanium working will really get it done in all thermal conditions.

Using my Armasight thermal as a monocular and Digex NV to shoot. Awesome combo. Been producing 2-3 deer most nights (doe's only)