• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thin-Film or Un-Film PVS-14??

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    How durable is the un-filmed vs. the thin-filmed for tromping through the woods to grandmothers house? Is un-filmed worth it?

I don't plan to weapon mount it. IR is for the pew pew part, so no mounting on weapons.

I have both. A thin film WP 14 and a filmless WP as well. The thin film is really, really good. Surprisingly so. As good, I am not sure. Probably not if you are in dark rooms looking at walls.

Quite durable. No reason to choose one over the other on that basis. If you were weapon-mounting (don't do that please) a PVS-14 or similar unit, there might be more nuance, but it's not like one is going to crap out before the other based on running into a branch or whatever. Both technologies in their modern forms are quite durable.

Durability is no issue for either. “Worth it” depends upon price differential and your tolerance of that difference. I have just about every NOD ever made and I’m perfectly at home with UFWP or TFGP. The deals on the TFGP stuff seem to be few and far between these days, so it may help to tell us what your options are here.

Reactions: stefan73
    Durability is no issue for either. “Worth it” depends upon price differential and your tolerance of that difference. I have just about every NOD ever made and I’m perfectly at home with UFWP or TFGP. The deals on the TFGP stuff seem to be few and far between these days, so it may help to tell us what your options are here.

I am currently looking at the TNVC Elbit Gen3 Thin-Filmed $3500 or the L3 Harris Un-Filmed $4k.

If durability is on par is the light gathering difference worth it? I like to use my equipment, so it will get use and with that being said I take pretty good care of my stuff so use but not abuse.

I am currently looking at the TNVC Elbit Gen3 Thin-Filmed $3500 or the L3 Harris Un-Filmed $4k.

If durability is on par is the light gathering difference worth it? I like to use my equipment, so it will get use and with that being said I take pretty good care of my stuff so use but not abuse.

IMO, the $500 difference is worth it **IF** availability is the same. If the Elbit is available today, or quickly, and the L3 is 3+ months out, I’d save the $500 and get instant gratification.

Reactions: Victor-TNVC
    If low low light use without illuminator is needed the un-filmed l3 is king. I like it as I hunt on moonless nights. Thermal is king no light needed. But shooting with IR laser doesn’t work with thermal. So stalking in close the filmless l3 does a great job. If you need some IR it needs less then a filmed tube so very low signature from IR source.