• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thin forend sling swivel install

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    I got a wild hair yesterday and decided to install a set of sling swivels on my Marlin Model 60 so I dug in my parts boxes and found a couple wood screw versions and a couple machine screw versions. The rear swivel was no problem but the forend one made me think a little because on a Model 60 it's only about 3/8" thick on the bottom and I was concerned about there being enough meat for the wood screw one.

I had some 10-32 weld nuts that I'd gotten for something a while back and I felt the low profile and narrow width might just be the ticket. It turned out that it was the perfect width to drop down into the magazine tube slot, it just needed a little pocket to make it flush. A little work with the handheld mill and the pocket kept the weld nut out of the way of the magazine tube while providing reinforcement for the swivel. As an added measure I used JB Weld to glue it in.

20231111_235811.jpg

20231111_235841.jpg

A t-nut could've worked in this situation too but would've required modifications to the t-nut to get it to fit down inside the stock and I didn't have any 10-32 t nuts anyway.

I took the Model 60 out today to shoot it with the newly installed sling swivels. Slung up pretty tight with a Magpul RLS to shoot in prone, sitting, kneeling, and a bit of offhand. Overall there wasnt any major drama, nothing broke and no wild zero shifts so I'd say it was a successful install.

These were the last 2 rounds of the day shot prone slung at 25 yards.

20231119_161525.jpg

When I had LRI building my Woodstock M40ish I asked that the front swivel be installed into a steel bar.

Chad milled the slot in the stock for the drilled/tapped bar. It also secured the small pic rail.

Nice touch was Chad milling a Delrin filler to than cover the milled area for the bar.

McMillan did same except molding in the metal for M40A1s

A definite good idea. My wood screw rear sling swivels on 40s and 70s always make me nervous.

Why do the rear sling swivels make you nervous?
    Just worried about pull out.

You know when I pull the rifle from its bag and put in in the bipod or bag supported position a grizzly may come along and rip the sling from the rifle. It’s not like I carry it.

Only reason it concerns me would be removing it to put on more linseed oil and eventually oversized the hole.

As far as worries go it’s right there with climate change flooding and my concern that Obamas mansion will be lost to rising seas.

You know when I pull the rifle from its bag and put in in the bipod or bag supported position a grizzly may come along and rip the sling from the rifle. It’s not like I carry it.
    Well my immediate concern would be the very close proximity of this grizzly that just ripped the rear sling stud out of my rifle, meaning I'm sans rifle but I get what you're saying lol. I thought Chad made these threaded inserts for your rifle though?

1700437338496.png

Well my immediate concern would be the very close proximity of this grizzly that just ripped the rear sling stud out of my rifle, meaning I'm sans rifle but I get what you're saying lol. I thought Chad made these threaded inserts for your rifle though?

View attachment 8276325
    He did!

And who can’t appreciate that attention to detail as well as my mention of what he did for the forend swivel/pic rail on that rifle.

There is “do” and than there is “doing it right”.

Doing it right is always so special.