• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Things I never thought my wife would say:

Dot3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2021
NC
“Oh is that an AR-15? You need to get one!”
A once died in the wool liberal but she’s got some sense and she’s gotten into shooting since we got together. I was handling my dads PSA 5.56 when she made that comment.

I’m in the researching stage but wouldn’t mind some input. I don’t know how I’d like to set it up. I’d like to get into something for around $8-900 minus extra mags, ammo, etc. Any input on can/can’t live without? Things to look for/avoid?

Don't over think it. It's so modular that you can swap out things and upgrade as you figure out what you want/like.

Plus, it won't be your only one, so don't get paralyzed by the options.

Its like barbie for men!

I would recommend a standard 16 inch mid-length gas setup. They are the most versatile and forgiving. Not that an AR is a temperamental beast.

I'll be honest--its all preference. Everyone is gonna be different. I think to set up for the most options would be a 16 in, mid-length, flat-top so if you want red-dot, you can, scope--good. irons: good. Don't go quad rail handguards, it gets irritating fast. The keymod or mlock are nicer that you can just get the rail you need.

I like to drop custom triggers in mine--its dead stupid easy (I can do it) 2 pins and makes the rifle 'real nice'

Get a good quality brand: Colt, BCM:

Something like this is a beast w/o breaking the bank:

Then there is this (Carbine length--not bad, and I hate the std handguards)

Queue SA hate:

This is tough price to beat:

S&W had a good rifle for a long time.

Everyone is going to have their opinions on brands--look for what you want (price/features/quality). Buy it, shoot it. Screw the haters.

(sorry for grabagun links--it was just easy to find stuff there).

(I have DPMS (308), Bushmaster/Spikes/BCM/Ruger--My last malfunction was in 1997 and was due to thermold magazines. Just shoot em).

Just today someone posted on a 400$ ar. I think it was palmetto?

Price out ammo before getting too carried away with options.

Buy a decent rifle for your first AR. I'd recommend a Daniel Defense. If too pricey, then a Rock River. Opinions on ARs are as diverse as anything in the firearm industry.

Good Luck!

Spend a tad more money and get a Rock River. They have always been great rifles and very accurate right out of the box. Their will be very little needed to upgrade anything on it if you want in the future. Plus they have a boat load of configurations to choose from.

Last edited:
Reactions: teslawasframed
Get a quick detachable light for it.

And a Red Dot Sight... is far quicker on target than open sights. ( At least for me ) I prefer the fully closed ones... that way dirt, water , mud can't block the red dot emitter.

Mid length gas systems do shoot "softer" then carbine length gas. There really isn't a ton of recoil from a 5.56, but if it shoots softer why wouldn't anyone prefer that ?

Given the current ammo supplies... you might stumble upon a good, inexpensive shooting factory load ( 1.5MOA ) but don't expect common "M193 / M855" to be a very accurate in general.
With the limited ammo supply, I used to be able to buy some of "everything" I let the barrel show me what it liked... not so much anymore.

Define a use case and go from there. And; long range, paper punching, precision, hunting, home defense, EDC is not a use case.

Reactions: Alienta
Price out ammo before getting too carried away with options.
My dad is already set up for 5.56. Still seeing some powders suitable for that cartridge for sale. Primers…ehh.
And a Red Dot Sight... is far quicker on target than open sights. ( At least for me ) I prefer the fully closed ones... that way dirt, water , mud can't block the red dot emitter.
Glad you mentioned that. I prefer the open ones (turkey gun) and don’t really care for the tube style on my dads gun. But, that’s something to keep in mind.

thanks for the input so far. As for use case, if home defense isn’t a use case, then I don’t have one. I plan to make enough ammo to actually practice. Drills, scenarios, etc. Just having it to have one is not the purpose.
Quick sighting device and pressure switch light seem like must haves. Planning to keep it real simple and very functional

it’d be easy to buy a complete lower and complete upper from aero precision. They have a good Labor Day sale going on still.

Reactions: 10X Rifles
A once died in the wool liberal but she’s got some sense and she’s gotten into shooting since we got together. I was handling my dads PSA 5.56 when she made that comment.

I’m in the researching stage but wouldn’t mind some input. I don’t know how I’d like to set it up. I’d like to get into something for around $8-900 minus extra mags, ammo, etc. Any input on can/can’t live without? Things to look for/avoid?
pull That 900 out and set it to the side. Then between now and Black Friday save up a little more.
if you can’t wait and need a good budget AR I would look at the IWI or S&W

Reactions: Bamais#1
Buy an upper with an adjustable gas block or put one on it. Money goes to the barrel.

The only thing you need adjustable on the lower is the stock. A little extra for a decent trigger is nice.

When you get bored with the performance upgrade a piece at a time.

Barrel and trigger is where you get the bang for dollar.

Do not under any circumstance get sucked into any proprietary bullshit on your first ar.

Reactions: Dot3

In that price range, perhaps the Smith & Wesson MP15 plus a Vortex BDC Scope to give your good optics for the gun out to 400-500 yards. Figure in lots of ammo to include for good familiarization and practice. With Biden's Russian Ammo ban, don't know if 223 and 5.56 is going to skyrocket again.

OH! Make sure your gun choice is goof for either 223 or 5.56. The S&W MP15 is.

Get your wife one, too, to back you up.

And get some for your kids, even if they aren't born yet, you won't be able to later. Consider it a long term investment in freedom.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15T is your ticket. Bought mine in 2013 and I didn’t have to change a thing. Has a lot of Magpul parts including, mags, grips & popup front and rear sights. Also quad rails. I’m positive you will love it.

Reactions: rottenruger
Smith & Wesson M&P 15T is your ticket. Bought mine in 2013 and I didn’t have to change a thing. Has a lot of Magpul parts including, mags, grips & popup front and rear sights. Also quad rails. I’m positive you will love it.
It's an awesome little gun, isn't it? Got myself one when I kept hearing all the rage about the AR15 (and, I'll admit, Obama played into the decision considerably), and WHOA was I glad I did, the gun is incredible, and I mean the AR15 platform as well as the MP15, it just keeps on shooting, it's light, it's fun, it's accurate, it's even more accurate with good optics, and did I say IT'S FUN!!! Put a Vortex BDC scope on mine and it's great out to 500 when push comes to shove. (Now to replace Wifey's red-dot with the same BDC Vortex. IF I can teach her how to use it. Luck with that.)

In fact, I liked it so much that I got my wife one for Christmas, TO BACK ME UP !!! OK, it went over like a Singer Sewing Machine or a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner........ why are women SO hung up on diamonds?... STILL TRYING TO EDUCATE HER ON THE ESSENTIAL BACK UP FUNCTION.......... But meanwhile, I feel better just knowing I have a second machine to pick up and protect ourselves with! With a cold barrel, no less!

Nowadays.......my biggest worry is WHO am I going to be protecting ourselves from? Zombies? Biden? Local Gov? UN? Chinese? Zombies?
Did I say Zombies? I live in the deep south..........

PS: I did take one of mine, removed the old barrel cover and put on an upgraded M-Lok cover. This covered the barrel all the way out and allowed a great bipod. Now it's time to do the same for Wifey's. If SHE won't appreciate it, I sure the hell will.

Shame on me?!?

It's all a matter of timing.

Get with her about more guns after another big Biden Blunder, it's always easier to buy another weapon. AND WISER.

That's way better than my wife's question ... is it in?

It really depends on what you are going to do with it.

I like BCM and Daniel Defense for an extra level of quality, and Knights for the premium level but I have a couple Palmetto uppers and they shoot surprisingly well.

For a more target oriented setup, go with a free floated 18" upper from Palmetto. Their stainless barrels shoot really well for the price.

Their 16 midlength models are good to go as well.

Then you will need a lower

If you want a quality and reliable defense carbine, it is hard to beat a Colt 6920 and they can be had in your price range.

The internet says coupon code FALL will give you the discounted price of $845.

Dot3,

lots of good choices in ARs. I used whatever the arms room issued for 30 years. FN and Colt both work well under horrible
conditions.

your comment about a pressure switch for light caught my attention. I would caution you about remote pressure switches. In my experience, they suck. The cables and connections are problem waiting to happen at the most inopportune moment. You’re better off with a standard light with a tailcap switch. I use Streamlight. Other brands also work well.

on red dots. Enclosed emitter sights are more reliable in outdoor pursuits than the open emitter sights you mention. Open emitters are vulnerable to rain, dirt, etc obscuring the LED. That’s the reason .mil issues a tube type enclosed emitter sight for main line troops. For a first rifle, get an enclosed emitter res dot or low power variable optic and quality mount.

the main thing in a first AR is quality receivers, bolt, and barrel. The major US brands will give you that at a fair price. You can customize or experiment at your leisure.

i run a Colt for Service rifle competition and a S&W M&P-15 for general use carbine. My general use carbine is pretty basic: an ancient Burris MTAC, a streamlight flashlight, and a 2 point sling. Essentially what I used in the Army, minus the IR aiming device.

you have lots of good options.

Dot3,

lots of good choices in ARs. I used whatever the arms room issued for 30 years. FN and Colt both work well under horrible
conditions.

your comment about a pressure switch for light caught my attention. I would caution you about remote pressure switches. In my experience, they suck. The cables and connections are problem waiting to happen at the most inopportune moment. You’re better off with a standard light with a tailcap switch. I use Streamlight. Other brands also work well.

on red dots. Enclosed emitter sights are more reliable in outdoor pursuits than the open emitter sights you mention. Open emitters are vulnerable to rain, dirt, etc obscuring the LED. That’s the reason .mil issues a tube type enclosed emitter sight for main line troops. For a first rifle, get an enclosed emitter res dot or low power variable optic and quality mount.

the main thing in a first AR is quality receivers, bolt, and barrel. The major US brands will give you that at a fair price. You can customize or experiment at your leisure.

i run a Colt for Service rifle competition and a S&W M&P-15 for general use carbine. My general use carbine is pretty basic: an ancient Burris MTAC, a streamlight flashlight, and a 2 point sling. Essentially what I used in the Army, minus the IR aiming device.

you have lots of good options.
Thank you for that heads up. I appreciate the experience of the little things that may make a big difference

Don't discount Windham Weaponry. I've had mine for 6-7 years now and have had ZERO issues with it...and I'm not known as an avid gun cleaner.

Reactions: rottenruger
Its like barbie for men!

I would recommend a standard 16 inch mid-length gas setup. They are the most versatile and forgiving. Not that an AR is a temperamental beast.

I'll be honest--its all preference. Everyone is gonna be different. I think to set up for the most options would be a 16 in, mid-length, flat-top so if you want red-dot, you can, scope--good. irons: good. Don't go quad rail handguards, it gets irritating fast. The keymod or mlock are nicer that you can just get the rail you need.

I like to drop custom triggers in mine--its dead stupid easy (I can do it) 2 pins and makes the rifle 'real nice'

Get a good quality brand: Colt, BCM:

Something like this is a beast w/o breaking the bank:

Then there is this (Carbine length--not bad, and I hate the std handguards)

Queue SA hate:

This is tough price to beat:

S&W had a good rifle for a long time.

Everyone is going to have their opinions on brands--look for what you want (price/features/quality). Buy it, shoot it. Screw the haters.

(sorry for grabagun links--it was just easy to find stuff there).

(I have DPMS (308), Bushmaster/Spikes/BCM/Ruger--My last malfunction was in 1997 and was due to thermold magazines. Just shoot em).
I think this pretty much covers it. A rifle with a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas system and an M-Lok rail will be able to handle just about anything you could reasonably want an AR to do.

If you want your money to go a bit farther, you can buy a quality upper receiver from BCM, FN, Colt, or another quality manufacturer. Then buy a cheap lower receiver from just about anywhere and assemble it yourself. It's a great way to learn more about the platform. Besides, all the important parts that affect precision & reliability are in the upper.

While your wife is being reasonable and compliant, and with the present administration, you might want to try to sell her on the benefits of having an anti-material gun to go along with your anti-personnel gun........ A BMG50 can really reach out and touch something/someone!!!!

DON'T tell her how much they cost!!!

While your wife is being reasonable and compliant, and with the present administration, you might want to try to sell her on the benefits of having an anti-material gun to go along with your anti-personnel gun........ A BMG50 can really reach out and touch something/someone!!!!

✅

I told her just today that I was going to give her a honey-do list whenever she gave me one. I'm on a roll.

If you want your money to go a bit farther, you can buy a quality upper receiver from BCM, FN, Colt, or another quality manufacturer. Then buy a cheap lower receiver from just about anywhere and assemble it yourself. It's a great way to learn more about the platform. Besides, all the important parts that affect precision & reliability are in the upper.
Earlier today I ordered a 16" upper with floating M-lok handguard and a lower that were both on sale at Palmetto State. Once they're here and put together, I'll be in a nice starter rifle for under $550. I'm thinking strongly of piggybacking a micro dot on a 1-4x scope. Any thoughts? I've been impressed with Athlon so far for an optic.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I told her just today that I was going to give her a honey-do list whenever she gave me one. I'm on a roll.

Earlier today I ordered a 16" upper with floating M-lok handguard and a lower that were both on sale at Palmetto State. Once they're here and put together, I'll be in a nice starter rifle for under $550. I'm thinking strongly of piggybacking a micro dot on a 1-4x scope. Any thoughts? I've been impressed with Athlon so far for an optic.
With a 1X4, a micro dot isn't really necessary as you're not running a lot of magnification. And the throw from 1X4 is pretty short. I'd just throw a lever on there to speed it up and run it.

I agree with AFGWS. With a 1-4x, the dot isn't necessary. I have an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x and am really impressed with the quality for the money -- but it's an ~$800 scope. I generally find the $500+ price range to offer the best "value" for optics. Much less than that, and you're probably sacrificing some features or durability.

If you're looking to spend less than $500, I'd consider the Burris RT-6 optic the best true "budget" option. You can get one with a free mount from Brownells for $350. If that's still outside of your budget, get a $100~$150 red dot from Holosun, Sig, Primary Arms, Vortex, Swampfox, or similar to hold you over until you can afford a quality scope.

Last edited:
My first AR was an experiment, built from the (then available) cheapest parts on Amazon; with one exception. I used a Stag 16" (and NY Compliant) 3G match barrel. it was as cheap (except for the barrel), as I could make it. The whole point of the exercise was to see what was involved in the project and whether I could manage the trick.

Working off a Youtube video and the corresponding hard copy book, it went very quickly and easily, running about $350-$400 in/around 2005. I put a 6-24 Tasco Varmint/Target scope on it and it was surprisingly accurate for a first effort. I also used that project as my Wife-Excuse to obtain the more basic AR-related specialized tools.

Later I added a Vortex SPARC AR 2 Red Dot and it became a very wieldy and surprisingly accurate gun for out to and beyond 100yd. It's very good for the task. I later found that 300yd and somewhat beyond is well within range, too.

Since then I've assembled another six AR's, including a pair in 6.5 Grendel and a .308. I learned a few things. Parts cost is not a primary concern, cheap pretty nearly always works good enough. The exceptions to this are a good barrel, a good trigger, as well as optics that can get you a clear sight picture. Expensive scopes are nice to have, but less expensive also works, just know their limitations.

By my own standards, there's a difference between the two terms "Build" and "Assemble". One assembles something from pre-made parts; but a builder makes those parts to begin with.

Optics are a tradeoff. First, there's cheap knockoffs; stay away from them. Next, there are pretty capable and readily affordable scopes. These are what I use. Then there are scopes which use features that exceed my needs and wallet. And finally, there are the ones that are very expensive. Some folks have the need and the skills for them, but many are simply bought for the bragging factor.

I don't fit into the last two categories, and I'm very likely the average shooter in those respects. The first category is what some refer to as 'The Poors', and some would include me, too. I think they'd be wrong, but then I'm not gunning for the gold medals, either. I shot in competition of about a decade, so I know my limitations.

I'm not a winner; but that doesn't trouble my sleep, either.

As a beginner, I think you'd do well to be in my category, at least at the start. There's is a certain minimum of skills needed in order to make effective use of the more pricey optics, and I seriously respect those who have them and can afford them. Getting the horse ahead of the cart in such circumstances makes it all too easy to damage really good equipment due to lack of experience. Save that for when you're in the top 10% of the pack, and can make best use of that gear.

Mainly understand that when the AR-15/M-16 was designed, Stoner configured it to be especially easy to work on, considering that most of the military who'd be wrenching on them would be HS Grads or less, your basic Draftee Types. Take confidence in that and relax into the process. Look up the basic literature, get in some basic learning, buy the tools they recommend/use for the basic assembly process, and be at it. Having a mentor to help never hurts, either.

Remember, keeping it as simple as possible is a major asset.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006 and Dot3
I build as cheap as I think I can get away with. Usually I start out with a PSA Lower. I've been using finished lowers, but it really makes more sense for me to use stripped lowers because I replace a lot of the original guts.

I use the PSA Nickel-Boron two-stage trigger. It's cheap, and there are lots better, but it gits 'er done, and I can afford to put them in all of my AR's.

I like the Luth AR Chubby Grip; so it's on all of my AR's except my factory Stags. I usually add an extended bolt release so I can operate it with my trigger finger.

I flatly cannot shoot precisely with a collapsible stock, so I usually run some version of the plain old A2 stock.

If an AR Stoner Complete Upper will do what I want, I use one. Otherwise I assemble my own, using AR Stoner parts, then grinding/polishing the receiver face and I bed the barrel extension with Loc-Tite.

All of my AR's have precisely the same operating configurations; when I pick any of them up, the fingers always find the same controls in the same places, they all fit me the same (which is not always so easy when you're 6' 5" tall), and the controls all have exactly the same feel to them, too.

Optics are my quandary. Every scope I have mounted has been discontinued by their manufacturers, usually replaced with something twice as expensive, and many of those replacements lack the specific features I bought my existing scopes to get. Most folks on here will tell you they're better judges of optics than I, and many of them are right.

The AR needs a good barrel, a good trigger, and a good sighting system. How you get there is the fun part. Unless the expensive choice has something special that you simply can't do without; you can do without it. Find folks who do this stuff, ask as many questions as you can get away with, and understand that the only things you actually know are the things you learned by doing.

My guns are not the precise ones that folks spend megabucks for. That's for several reasons. I don't have a large operation which can afford to divert components for R&D, and that's really a necessity for such implements. I depend on the original Stoner design; it's well proven, and I insert small tweaks in the form of specialized small parts that I prefer, and which don't invalidate the basic original design. I stick tightly to the good barrel, good trigger, and good sights Mantra.

And finally, precision is in the eye of the beholder. This boils down to knowing your limits, and continuously working on improving on them. Most of it is about knowing when not to shoot; that the shot is beyond one's known limits.

I've passed up a fair number of deer in my 75 years, but I've never wounded one and left it to get away and die slowly. I began my hunting days with a muzzle loader.

Greg

Last edited:

Check out the IWI Zion-15. Lotta "BANG for the buck....~$800.

Avoid BCA (Bear Creek Arsenal) at all costs.

Larue makes some nice rifles also.

My first AR was a Colt LE6920. It was the only carbine allowed by my department. That gun almost put me off of ARs. Im relatively certain the mags were the problem (before anti-tilt followers). After joining a specialized unit I was able to upgrade the gun and things changed. New free floated SP 15" rail, drop in single stage trigger, adjustable gas block, H2 buffer, Tubbs spring, and Magpul stuff made that into a very reliable weapon. Now just the upper, lower, and barrel remain and I'll likely be swapping the barrel in the next few weeks.
That said, if I were in your position I wouldn't consider anything but a complete M4E1 upper from Aero Precision as well as an Aero M4E1 complete lower and possibly a drop in trigger later. Aero has impressed me so much that I really had no interest in BCM, (until now) LMT, LWRCI, and DD. Thats saying alot as those are gorgeous rifles.
I just put together an Aero 16" upper with 15" FF rail and a complete lower as well as Aero BCG for $726 TOTAL for a friend. Thats with a nice Magpul SLS stock. That gun could make a really nice "upgraded" rifle with a drop in trigger and adjustable gas block for another $150. Make sure you go with the M4E1 stuff. It makes assembly/changing parts ridiculously easy. I dont have the slightest hesitation in trusting my life to my Aero guns. In fact, both of our grab and go guns are Aero.
"Honey I think we need this" made it possible for me to puurchase a Barrett M82, L3 PVS14 kits, a complete reloading setup complete with components for 5 calibers, and a number of other "essentials" in the last 2 years. You found a good one! Hang on to her! Since meeting my wife I've been able to accomplish things I never dreamed of. From going to domestic disputes one after the next to her putting me through medical school and now considering opening my own practice on the side.

Last edited: