• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Think I'm going to take the Vudoo plunge - what barrel profile?

Barrel profile

• 22" Kukuri

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • 20" MTU

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Something else.

Votes: 28 34.1%

• Total voters
I have yet to see this happen with a cut rifled barrel. Button and hammer forged barrels it is more common than what most think.

We had to make ammunition pressure test barrels that where also going to be used for suppressor testing by the Gov’t. All of those barrels started out at 2.375” o.d. The last thing we did was thread them 5/8 threads and cut and crowned them. Didn’t have a single one go sour.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I've seen it happen regardless of rifling convention, especially the choke ring (at the groove) due to tool pressure. Not as prominent in the cut rifled barrels, but the issue has been there....

MB
Y’all running me ‘round now! Sounds like I’ll just go 3/4-24” to play it safe, but it does make nabbing off-the-shelf options mighty difficult. Thanks, Mike 😤

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Y’all running me ‘round now! Sounds like I’ll just go 3/4-24” to play it safe, but it does make nabbing off-the-shelf options mighty difficult. Thanks, Mike 😤
Rifling type will not prevent the choke ring....tool pressure is tool pressure and the material hardness is 28-32Rc (radial and lateral measurement). Generally, bores grow when stress is relieved during the turning process, even in material that has been stress relieved prior to turning.

MB

Don't stress about it.

I wouldn't worry about it if you are using quality cut rifled barrels that are worked on by a quality gunsmith.

I've had many barrels (not rimfire mind you), chambered in 5/8x24 (heavy contours, MTU & HV). My TacOps has a 9/16x24 thread, even smaller, but preferred by Mike R. for more shoulder engagement with suppressors. They all shoot great.

Reactions: Rob01
Don't stress about it.

I wouldn't worry about it if you are using quality cut rifled barrels that are worked on by a quality gunsmith.

I've had many barrels (not rimfire mind you), chambered in 5/8x24 (heavy contours, MTU & HV). My TacOps has a 9/16x24 thread, even smaller, but preferred by Mike R. for more shoulder engagement with suppressors. They all shoot great.
Not too stressed, mostly my thinking is I wanna rebarrel anyway to get my balance point more forward. Running an 18” Kukri now and it’s too rear-heavy to sit happy on a bag, plus my CF is 24” MTU. So I figure if I’m rebarreling to a 22” MTU for balance and trainer purposes anyway, I can choose my threads, and I might as well go 3/4-24 to match my CF and stay well away from the bore.

Not gonna do 24” though due to the velocity loss on 22LR after ~21”.

Reactions: kthomas
Not too stressed, mostly my thinking is I wanna rebarrel anyway to get my balance point more forward. Running an 18” Kukri now and it’s too rear-heavy to sit happy on a bag, plus my CF is 24” MTU. So I figure if I’m rebarreling to a 22” MTU for balance and trainer purposes anyway, I can choose my threads, and I might as well go 3/4-24 to match my CF and stay well away from the bore.

Not gonna do 24” though due to the velocity loss on 22LR after ~21”.
What stock/chassis you using?

What stock/chassis you using?
MPA BA UL. I can’t afford tons of chassis just yet lol, and I hunt and wanna pursue NRL Hunter this year. Plus, at this point, the fact that the bare-bones chassis balances where I want it to with a 24” M24 (not MTU as I stated above) suppressed suggests to me that a heavier chassis would require weights to balance. The UL seems to do most everything I want rn other than easily accept front weights, and I can address that with barrels at this point. Bit of a silly way to go about it, but I want to match my CF rig with the Vudoo anyway, so I keep coming back to this option.

Odd that ultra light chassis is rear heavy but will take your word for it. Your Vudoo doesn’t have to be the exact same as your centerfire to be a good trainer. As long as similar scope, trigger and feel from behind it you can practice just fine on props. I run 28” M24 barrels on my centerfire but an 18” Kukri on my Vudoo. No issues practicing and shooting rimfire matches.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Odd that ultra light chassis is rear heavy but will take your word for it. Your Vudoo doesn’t have to be the exact same as your centerfire to be a good trainer. As long as similar scope, trigger and feel from behind it you can practice just fine on props. I run 28” M24 barrels on my centerfire but an 18” Kukri on my Vudoo. No issues practicing and shooting rimfire matches.
It’s not exactly rear heavy, the balance point with no bipod is maybe an inch in front of the mag well. Problem is, that’s not quite forward enough to happily park on a bag, so I gotta hang a bipod on it, which is its own set of problems if it’s not a bipod stage/drill.

Reactions: Badjujuu and Rob01
I've seen it happen regardless of rifling convention, especially the choke ring (at the groove) due to tool pressure. Not as prominent in the cut rifled barrels, but the issue has been there....

MB
KIDD Anschutz and Walther all backbore their threaded barrels so the crown is before the threaded portion (I have one or more samples of each brand in the safe currently). Would this be a decent work around to “ bore spread”?

To return to the Op’s thread question, kukri 22”

Reactions: RAVAGE88
KIDD Anschutz and Walther all backbore their threaded barrels so the crown is before the threaded portion (I have one or more samples of each brand in the safe currently). Would this be a decent work around to “ bore spread”?

To return to the Op’s thread question, kukri 22”
In theory, yes, and I’ve considered it, but there’s not a good way to ensure a proper crown. I believe Anschutz stopped backboring due to inconsistent results, but if someone has better info than this, please chime in.

MB

My v-360 has a Shilen ratchet in a semi sendero contour at 24". Wish It could have been 26". Did talk to a person at Bartlein the other day about making a carbon fiber barrel in rimfire 26" long. He said they could do it. Thinking about replacing the Shilen with one.

Reactions: Badjujuu
If your going to shoot PRS go with straight(non-contou) barrel.
1. balancing the rifle will be easier and cheaper.
2. less or no outside weights
3. More room for stickers

I'd be very interested in trying out a straight profile barrel @ 22 or 24" - any recommendations?

What the sport has become. LOL

Image-1.jpg

I would talk to Vudoo first and see what they can do their customer support is THE BEST!
I’ve only seen one 22 that had a non contour barrel at a match no info.

Straight 24, .900 or less dia. is the way to go. That length and profile will respond to a tuner. If you decide to use one.

Yeh the Benchmark is a .9 straight (after the shoulder taper) 22-24" seems to be a great length. One complaint on the Benchmark is that it's really tight, and thus pretty slow. Like 30-40fps slower than say Bartlein 22" my 29xx ammo and only getting 1061 out of my barrel. SK LRM will shoot at about 1078

Yeh the Benchmark is a .9 straight (after the shoulder taper) 22-24" seems to be a great length. One complaint on the Benchmark is that it's really tight, and thus pretty slow. Like 30-40fps slower than say Bartlein 22" my 29xx ammo and only getting 1061 out of my barrel. SK LRM will shoot at about 1078
Dang, that's kind of slow. I'm getting ~1083fps with SKPM out of my 20" MTU. I would expect SKLRM to be closer (or above) 1100.

If velocity is important I'd go 18-20. If precision and accuracy go longer.
A 22rf burns all of it's powder by 16" or so of barrel length.

Longer barrel doesn't guarantee better accuracy. If your running iron sights on a position rifle...then the longer sight radius will/can help you. If your running a scoped rifle...in my opinion shorter is better. Get the bullet out of the barrel the sooner the better.

My scoped guns I'm running 18" mostly like on the 10/22's etc...my position gun built on a 52D that is primarily scoped barrel length is 21". Off the bench at a 114 yards that gun will print consistent groups in the .6xx's.

Barrel length and weight will effect the balance of the rifle as well.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Bore and groove size and chamber or a combination of those will effect pressures and velocities.

Most of your match rimfire ammo is subsonic ammo velocity wise to begin with. You don't want it breaking the speed of sound.

Bore and groove size and chamber or a combination of those will effect pressures and velocities.

Most of your match rimfire ammo is subsonic ammo velocity wise to begin with. You don't want it breaking the speed of sound.

When doing your barrels for RF, do you have certain formulas based on usage? Like # of grooves for 50yd benchrest vs say > 100-200y PRS like competitions?

Has anyone tried to do a gain twist RF? :) 16t-12t gain twist?

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Been thinking about getting a Vudoo for several years now. Think this is the year I order one. My plan for this rifle would be mainly 100 yard shooting from a bench, some rimfire benchrest matches, and on occasion stretching it out a little further (longest range I have access to is 300 yards).

Been looking at the barrel profiles, for my uses is there any reason not to get the 20" MTU profile? Or would the 22" Kukuri shoot just as well? Or is there something else I should consider?

I'm in Lexington KY and have one I bought my son for Christmas with a S&B US 5-20 on it if you want to get behind one just give me a shout.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
I'd be very interested in trying out a straight profile barrel @ 22 or 24" - any recommendations?
My Vudoo (gen1) now has a 22" Kreiger 1.25 straight taper barrel on it...it is a hammer. The smith that chambered the barrel shot a group at 325, no tuner, under 2" with Center-x that was lot tested for my Ace 20" kukri it came with, which was a huge surprise to me. Now if only I could shoot as well as he can...

1.2moa @ 400 is pretty darn good. What ammo were you using?
LOL, hold on, it was CenterX, lot I picked from seems great, and it was only 5-6 shots, and conditions were stable. I turned it over to a friend quickly, he added to the vertical spread, not sideways.
I was just pumped about owning the thing and now have somewhat of a baseline at what i can expect. Only shots i took with it that day.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
My Vudoo (gen1) now has a 22" Kreiger 1.25 straight taper barrel on it...it is a hammer. The smith that chambered the barrel shot a group at 325, no tuner, under 2" with Center-x that was lot tested for my Ace 20" kukri it came with, which was a huge surprise to me. Now if only I could shoot as well as he can...
I have sooooo been wanting to do this to my gun..I am looking for a reason..but the gun out shoots me now and I know it's not needed yet..Also my MPA will not take a 1.25 so I would have to get a new stock or he would have to turn it down to 1.20 I think to fit but I want to put a Kreiger 22'' on it so bad..

I have sooooo been wanting to do this to my gun..I am looking for a reason..but the gun out shoots me now and I know it's not needed yet..Also my MPA will not take a 1.25 so I would have to get a new stock or he would have to turn it down to 1.20 I think to fit but I want to put a Kreiger 22'' on it so bad..
Why Krieger specifically? I want a longer barrel, but hadn’t had strong feelings on with premium maker to use.

Why Krieger specifically? I want a longer barrel, but hadn’t had strong feelings on with premium maker to use.
Everyone I have seen or got my hands on have shot really good..It's not that many though? 5-6? On both RimX and Vudoo's and they all shot really good. Its not all barrel as the gunsmith needs to get credit as well.
I would like to find a Vudoo Gen1 receiver and have a 22'' Kreiger put on that and leave my Gen2 the way it is..

These 1.25" straights are just ridiculous... this new trend of shooting 22+ lb rimfires is pretty crazy...

What are you talking about?!? It’s about the balance! Can’t shoot without it perfectly balancing and weighing at least 20 pounds!! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Cowpokey
Chris is a great shooter and does run a 25lb rig, but Paul won 2 champsionships and finished 2nd at the last one, and is doing fine with his 18" Kukri - Looks like a 14-15lb rig.

1649970881882.png

These 1.25" straights are just ridiculous... this new trend of shooting 22+ lb rimfires is pretty crazy...
I do like a heavy gun..to each there own..
I do want to say though that there is nothing wrong with Ace barrels or Barts, Benchmarks..I just want to try something different. It’s why we work hard right. My Ace outshoots me and like I said I don’t need a Krieger, it’s just an itch..

Reactions: littlepod
The guy that spun mine up put it in my BA Comp chassis. He called it a rail gun. The NV bridge locked in in tight, plus a few other spots...it shot lights out that way. I couldn't believe it. I have since put it in a Matrix (not the new Pro) and it fits fine, doesn't touch (barely). I only did this so my two match rifles are in the same chassis, but really it would be fine in the other all locked in.

@RAVAGE88
Is there any particular reason why a straight barrel is not offered? About to order my second Vudoo and would prefer a heavier profile than MTU without a massive increase in wait times.

@RAVAGE88
Is there any particular reason why a straight barrel is not offered? About to order my second Vudoo and would prefer a heavier profile than MTU without a massive increase in wait times.
Be warned as well, the Vudoo MTU is really an MTU-V, lighter than a true MTU. About 0.830" at my 22" muzzle.

hay smile your buying a voodoo you could use a spit ball straw at this point there is nothing more expensive use it well no heavy petting it in a corner that just strange ..

I might ask opinions of what guys thought of a potential woman to date but I'm picking my own barrels. I don't get this "What shit should I get?" stuff. No offense to the OP or any of the contributors here. I just think the first step is to figure out your own requirements and preferences are.
Then do your own research ... you'll learn more that way.

My short answer to your specific question ... no reason not to go with the 20'' MTU and all of Vudoo's offerings will shoot very well.
I am doing my research reading this. I find the responsec very helpfull when taken all together then filtered though my little brain.

Reactions: Williwaw
I would go with the heaviest barrel possible that way you need less weights to balance the rifle.

Jeez-o-pete! All this talk of heavy barrels - my V22 repeaters weigh 13-13.5lbs, with 21"-23" bbls in contours no heavier than Rem sendero, in Manners PRS1T stocks, with no frickin' weights attached. Balance isn't as important to me as building a rifle I can pick up and carry to the firing line without causing major pain in my worn-out shoulders with torn rotator cuffs...if I had to safely climb up onto the rooftop prop with a rifle weighing 20-22lbs, I'd have to have help getting up there - let alone managing to get back down quickly enough to shoot the rest of the stage on the side rests & shooting ports under the rooftop...lol

Jeez-o-pete! All this talk of heavy barrels - my V22 repeaters weigh 13-13.5lbs, with 21"-23" bbls in contours no heavier than Rem sendero, in Manners PRS1T stocks, with no frickin' weights attached. Balance isn't as important to me as building a rifle I can pick up and carry to the firing line without causing major pain in my worn-out shoulders with torn rotator cuffs...if I had to safely climb up onto the rooftop prop with a rifle weighing 20-22lbs, I'd have to have help getting up there - let alone managing to get back down quickly enough to shoot the rest of the stage on the side rests & shooting ports under the rooftop...lol
imagine if your 13 pound rifle was balanced to suit you