• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Thinking about getting a Glock

JoshPutman

Make tar and feathers great again.
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Michigan
I've been a pretty die hard 1911 guy for years, but I'm thinking about finally dipping my toes into the Glock pool. I like full size guns, so I'm going to look for a 19.

My question is, which generation seems to be the most liked? I know each one has some differences.

I may buy new, but if I find something decent used, I may go that route. I just need to figure out exactly what I'm looking for.

What features are liked and disliked between the different generations? And why?

I appreciate any input.

Reactions: 338dude
You like finger grooves or not?
Gen 3 and gen 4 have finger grooves.

Adjustable back strap?
Gen 4 and gen 5 have a several different size back strap you can attach.

You like red dots?
Gen 4 and newer can be found with the MOS as an option on some.

Gen 5 has tapered corners at the muzzle.

They still use the stupid plastic sights.

I personally like the gen 4 G19.

I have a gen3 19 with frame stippling finger grips removed back strap straightened with Dawson precision fiber optics and surefire x300u

Gen 5 19 mos with rmr and aplc

Gen 5 17 with trijicon sights

I have also owned a Glock 30, 26, and a 43x.

19 is my favorite not a fan of anything smaller. Although I shot the 30 surprisingly accurate for big hands little pistol. If you find a gen3 in good condition I’d grab it I love my gen 3. Stock sights are junk Im a big fan of Dawson precision sights and I love my x300. Overall you can’t go wrong with a 19/17

CZ

@JoshPutman as both a Glock and CZ owner, CZ all the way

P-10F if you want striker-fired
13471543_01_cz_p_10f__640.jpg

P-09 if you want DA/SA
12337774_02_cz_p_09_640.jpg

This is all an opinion piece, so take it for what it's worth, but I don't see any reason to buy a Glock today. EXCEPTION: G42 or G43/G43X

If you shoot 1911's, get a VP9, a P320, a CZ.....

I'd even suggest a PSA Dagger with a trigger upgrade the Glock grip is a joke and if you're not already dyed in the wool there's no reason to get started now.

This is all an opinion piece, so take it for what it's worth, but I don't see any reason to buy a Glock today. EXCEPTION: G42 or G43/G43X

If you shoot 1911's, get a VP9, a P320, a CZ.....

I'd even suggest a PSA Dagger with a trigger upgrade the Glock grip is a joke and if you're not already dyed in the wool there's no reason to get started now.
I’ll ad the 48 in there. It’s a handy little piece

the Glock grip is a joke

This is what people who can't shoot say

I had never used a Glock until last summer. It took me less than a week of dryfire to adjust my presentation to suit it.

The Glock's grip design is a feature, not a mistake. It is one of the key reasons why Glocks are so easy to shoot fast and accurately: it forces your wrists to lock and your elbows to flex down. The blocky "unergonomic" shape of the grip's cross section makes it very easy to index consistently on it on the draw.

This is what people who can't shoot say

I had never used a Glock until last summer. It took me less than a week of dryfire to adjust my presentation to suit it.

The Glock's grip design is a feature, not a mistake. It is one of the key reasons why Glocks are so easy to shoot fast and accurately: it forces your wrists to lock and your elbows to flex down. The blocky "unergonomic" shape of the grip's cross section makes it very easy to index consistently on it on the draw.
I have 4 G19 Gen 3,4,5. I never grab them anymore, it's always the CZ P07. Plenty of after market support for the CZ too.

The CZ pistols have actually crossed my mind before. I'll have to take a hard look at them now.

Reactions: Milf Dots
The blocky "unergonomic" shape of the grip's cross section makes it very easy to index consistently on it on the draw.

At the sky. ;) What's next, the spongey trigger forces you to be a better shooter by learning better trigger control?

No I can shoot them fine, but the grip sucks. IMO you don't need to induce discomfort to shoot well, but YMMV. The .40 and .45's are worse.

And yes @JimmyJr , the PSA Dagger is a rattle trap and cheap, but at least they got the grip right.

Someone get me a doll and I'll show you where the Glock grip touched me!

The CZ pistols have actually crossed my mind before. I'll have to take a hard look at them now.

The P-07 and P-07 stand up to hard use FAR better than the P-10.

My P-09 has 16880 rounds through it and my P-10F has 15261. The P-10's slide rattles like a maraca. You can shake the P-09 as hard as you want and hear nothing. There is very, very little slide or barrel movement even if you grab and push on them as hard as you can. Their accuracy at this level of use also reflects the difference.

Glocks were the only real answer 10 - 15 years ago. Not so any more. There are options that are just as durable with better triggers, better sights, better optic interface systems, and better accuracy.

If going with a Glock, my preference is always Gen 5. I owned several of the Gen 3s at the time they were the newest generation available, but I did not like the finger grooves, trigger or grip texture on the Gen 3s. I didn’t even bother with the Gen 4s because they still had the finger grooves.

The Gen 5 have the better grip texture, better stock trigger, no finger grooves and “marksmen” barrels with target crown. Newer versions have the front slide serrations and beveled slide to match the frame if that appeals to you. For whatever reason, I shoot the Gen 5s best. Probably due to being able to get a better/more comfortable purchase on the grip without the finger grooves.

These are my preferences though. Coming from a 1911 you might appreciate the lack of finger grooves of the Gen 5 as well. Worst case, if it turns out you don’t like it you’ll likely recoup more of your money back if you turn around and sell it.

Look at a G43X with the Shields mag system (change the mag catch), and new sights of your choice. There really isn't much out there that can compete with this system in terms of weight, size, and capacity. Plus from my experience there is no loss in reliability with the Shields mags.

Reactions: MRADical and phxfa
I love my glocks. Have owned and carried G19/22/23/26/43

My favorites are the 26 and 19. My 26 is a Gen 3 I’ve had for 10 years and 19 I picked up last year. I love the fact that they share the same mags. Carrying my 26 with 10+1. With a spare 19 mag with it. My vest has 3 AR mags and 3 G17 mags. Which work in both the 26 and 19.

No matter which I’m carrying (depending on my wardrobe for winter or summer) I always have the higher capacity mags within reach

Look at a G43X with the Shields mag system (change the mag catch), and new sights of your choice. There really isn't much out there that can compete with this system in terms of weight, size, and capacity. Plus from my experience there is no loss in reliability with the Shields mags.
I like full size guns, so I'm going to look for a 19.
Not sure if he’s looking for a carry gun, but if he were then I would agree the 43X or 48 would be my recommendation as well. I don’t have any experience with the SA mags in my 43X, but haven’t heard many negatives about them since the first batch that shipped a few years back.

@JoshPutman if you intend on sticking with a full-sized Glock I would be looking hard at the 45, 45 MOS or 19X which are very well balanced.

Reactions: 1911hombre
IMHO, the poly striker pistols from CZ, HK, Sig, Walther, Beretta have eclipsed Glocks. If you're looking for subcompacts the Sig p365/p365XL are the gold standard and offer 10, 12, and 15 round OEM mags.

Always run OEM mags with any defensive pistol for max reliability... If max reliability is the justification to choose Glock over other pistols, one can't logically then argue that aftermarket mags offer acceptable reliability- that's BS.

If I were to return to Glocks it'd only be the gen 5 g19 or larger framed models.

Last edited:
Go with the G19 Gen 5 MOS, no finger grooves, ambi mag release, ambi slide lock and cut out for RDS.

Gotta love the tactical tupperware!

IMHO, the poly striker pistols from CZ, HK, Sig, Walther, Beretta have eclipsed Glocks. If you're looking for subcompacts the Sig p365/p365XL are the gold standard and offer 10, 12, and 15 round OEM mags.

Always run OEM mags with any defensive pistol for max reliability... If max reliability is the justification to choose Glock over other pistols, one can't logically then argue that aftermarket mags offer acceptable reliability- that's BS.

If I were to return to Glocks it'd only be the gen 5 g19 or larger framed models.
Having owned a few different models of each pistol you mentioned (less Walther) I am interested in why you say these have eclipsed Glocks. Not that I am a Glock fanboy or dislike the other options, but I don't personally see where / how they are better than Glock.

I agree with you for the most part on the OEM magazines but I do not think it's a hard and fast rule. As an example would you not recommend replacing the OEM Springfield, Colt, or Sig 1911 mag for a Wilson Combat mag?

Not trying to be argumentative, just asking...

Having owned a few different models of each pistol you mentioned (less Walther) I am interested in why you say these have eclipsed Glocks. Not that I am a Glock fanboy or dislike the other options, but I don't personally see where / how they are better than Glock.

I agree with you for the most part on the OEM magazines but I do not think it's a hard and fast rule. As an example would you not recommend replacing the OEM Springfield, Colt, or Sig 1911 mag for a Wilson Combat mag?

My take

I wouldn't say other brands have eclipsed Glock. I do say that many brands now make polymer-framed handguns that:
  • Match or exceed Glock's reliability
  • Match or come so very close to Glock's ease of disassembly and maintenance
  • Come with superior sights
  • Come with better triggers (even better than Gen 5s)
  • Have grips that are more adaptable to more people
  • Come with much better optic mounting interfaces than Glock's MOS (CZ and Walther optic mount systems are superb)
I agree with you on the OEM vs aftermarket magazines. I don't know shit about 1911 magazines but I do know that if Mecgar makes a magazine to fit your pistol, it is as good or better than OEM, in part because Mecgar IS the OEM magazine manufacturer for many handgun brands. Mecgar makes the OEM magazines for Beretta, Canik, CZ, and Arex, and possibly many more.

My pops has a glock and I liked it until I tried a Sig P226. Best full sized pistol hands down in my opinion. Way more ergonomical. More features. Super comfy to hold. It feels like an extension of my hand rather than something im holding on to. Sig P226 100 percent

Last edited:

I run the 365XL with the MagGutz kit. 14rd mags and the perfect little picky extension, only $30 and use the stock mag bodies. Have been perfectly reliable over a few hundred rds so far. The 365XL/X come optics ready too or the sig or holosun optics, and don't require plates.

But yes, the G43X line and 365X line are hard to beat.

Glocks were the only real answer 10 - 15 years ago. Not so any more. There are options that are just as durable with better triggers, better sights, better optic interface systems, and better accuracy.
This ^^ -- With companies like Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom, you can pretty much do anything with any CZ you want.

Reactions: SmolPP and jbell

308Pirate nailed it in his reply... I'd add that some of those pistols I mentioned don't need the trigger pulled for disassembly- now that shouldn't matter to anyone who has a brain and can remember to clear the chamber AFTER dropping the mag- but there are idiots out there- especially in gov't orgs.

I also like modularity- Beretta, Sig, and I believe at least one Walther, are modular.

My comment about the OEM mags was relative to striker pistols in keeping with the context of the thread. I'd add that it also applies to most hammer fired guns. I've never owned a 1911 but I've read about the "hunting for good 1911 mags" thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbell
I have two 226s and still greatly prefer any or all of my CZs in comparison.

I bought a 226 around 2006 or so to see what the deal was about. I sold it ASAP. Horrible trigger and ergonomics. The slide stop location is particularly stupid and I wasn't going to change a grip that worked with every other handgun I had.

Reactions: SmolPP
I run the 365XL with the MagGutz kit. 14rd mags and the perfect little picky extension, only $30 and use the stock mag bodies. Have been perfectly reliable over a few hundred rds so far. The 365XL/X come optics ready too for the sig or SHIELD Sightsholosun optics, and don't require plates. (Shield Sights invented the footprint/bolt pattern that Sig and HS copied)

But yes, the G43X line and 365X line are hard to beat.

This ^^ -- With companies like Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom, you can pretty much do anything with any CZ you want.
FIFY ^^^.

I don't disagree with anything you posted, although I'd recommend a 450-800 round count day or two of training- to affirm the MagGutz kit's reliability.

quick take a cold shower and find a 9 hour long manly movie marathon ( old westerns or war movies ) get beer drink and watch till those funny thoughts are gone . It's like buying a e car or a Porsche yea they look nice but they are girl cars for women not a man you need a truck no not a small truck a full sized gas guzzling monster truck big tires big motor big exhaust . best of luck with what ever you buy lol

I didn’t care for the Sig 229 I carried for a while

Glocks are a love or hate relationship with many. Likely if a Gen 1 wasn’t comfortable for you. The Gen 5 won’t give you a “wow” factor either

FIFY ^^^.

I don't disagree with anything you posted, although I'd recommend a 450-800 round count day or two of training- to affirm the MagGutz kit's reliability.

I tend to agree... but I carry two mags. Factory mag is in the gun, MagGutz is the spare until I get more rounds through it and feel better about it. Good so far though

Reactions: Milf Dots
G43X for conceal carry, with the Trij sights. G19 or G17 are great guns, I still like the Gen3. It's something every man needs, like a Ruger 10-22.

A dull machete is also un American, but it works, and works a lot better than your poly 80 when it quits.

Actually it doesn’t. The fit and finish on a Glock compared to a P80 made by someone who takes pride in things, it just doesn’t compare, from stainless TiNed guide rods, polished everything and TiN everything internal, upgraded barrel, actual quality sights that (gasp) are made of good metal, a proper rail, I could go on. But I got enough rounds through mine I’d carry it if it wasn’t for the size (G19 sized), I also prefer a SAO more 1911 style pistol.

Now for someone stupid/lazy/sloppy/lacking detail, I agree a mass produced and shipped by the pallet cheap Glock might be better.

Actually it doesn’t. The fit and finish on a Glock compared to a P80 made by someone who takes pride in things, it just doesn’t compare, from stainless TiNed guide rods, polished everything and TiN everything internal, upgraded barrel, actual quality sights that (gasp) are made of good metal, a proper rail, I could go on.

LOL nobody who actually shoots gives a fiddler's fuck about any of that crap

LOL nobody who actually shoots gives a fiddler's fuck about any of that crap

I do, I very much care about quality components, especially if it’s something I’m ether trusting my life to, or going to be shooting a whole bunch.

I’ll save money when buying socks or paper plates for a event maybe, but when it comes to a pistol, especially a defense class of pistol, the bitterness of poor quality lasts far longer than the sweetness of low price.

I have Walther ppq classic, hk vp9 and cz p10f. All are excellent. Are their trigger better than my sig 1911 tac? Not close enough. It is the nature of the striker fire pistol. Trigger gets too light and crispy, drop safety become an issue like earlier sig p320 (still don’t like p320)
I love my steyr m9a1. Only complain is the non-existence reset. I just let it all the way out every time. It is everything Glock should be and better except the reset.
I have cz sp-01 and beretta 92xp. Both trigger are close and good as 1911. But just feel different.
Like other said, if you love 1911, May be look for a 2011. If you want to go down the striker fire hole, make some friends and try out their polymer striker fire gun. Or get a hk p7…