• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thinking about getting an original 1911...

scullti

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Hartland, CT
I've been drooling for a little while over vintage 1911s, and am seriously thinking about getting an old WW1 or WW2 era 1911. I'm not looking into getting a super collectible one, just one that functions well and is in good shape (matching numbers and all would be nice but isn't a must). My question is, should I be looking for a specific make meaning were some of the manufacturers known to be better than others for the time? And just curious, how do those old war horses shoot given the barrel is still in decent shape? And is there possibly somewhere that you guys know of that I could get a good deal on one?

And of course, pictures are welcome
smile.gif

Re: Thinking about getting an original 1911...

The pre-war commercial colts with the deep blueing may be relatively high quality fit/accuracy.

The war era as far as I know had no emphasis on accuracy, and the guns probably shoot no better than typical $450 pistols today (4-6" groups at 25).

The reputation 1911's get for accuracy is fully the result of custom fit guns like the Colt custom shop guns over the decades and more so the Les Baer Wilson Ed Brown etc.

The first custom 1911's from the aftermarket smiths like Swenson were military guns and Colt MKIV series 70's mostly. So you can have them accurized to shoot well.

Thanks guys. I was hoping to do some shooting with it and for it not to just be a safe queen. I kind of hate the idea of buying a firearm and then never using it, then again I guess I don't really have the collector's mindset. I do know that I could never forgive myself for getting a replica.

I think you'd find something that fits both criteria at Simpsons - nice, collectable but also a shooter.

Good luck!

I love the orginal USGI 1911/1911a1s. I have one and I shoot the crap out of it, (doesn't hurt it one bit).

BUT, I question the "matching numbered parts" comments you see about 1911s. There is no such animal. Yes you can have all USGI parts, but they're not numbered. And the chances of them having all the parts that they left the factory with is misleading.

Let me give just two examples. When I went to MP AIT, I screwed up. This other screw up and I were put on detail, spending the weekend cleaning all the 45s, alot of them.

We took the guns about, and lined all the parts in an assembly line fashion. We went through and cleaned all the indivual parts, then got on one end of the line, took the frame and walked down the line adding parts until we ended up with a finished product, the went to the front of the line and started over. I really doubt any gun got its orginal parts.

Fast forward many years. I was in charge of the Alaska National Guard Marksmanship Unit. Part of our program was to support our "combat teams' or teams made up from BN or seperate company units firing "arms room' guns. It was difficult for soldiers to get the weapons out of the arms room for practice. Marksmanship weapons had different regulations. (they could be issued to the individual team members). So what I did was order 4 1911s for each BN & Sep Company. I also kept 10 1911s for state team use.

I had my pistol team go through the guns, switching parts until they got the ten best shooting pistols for the state team, to be issued to the unit that would go on to compete in advanced competition.

This is just two incidents involving hundreds of 1911s. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world that did this. 1911 parts are not serial numbered to the gun so how does one know. How can anyone say they are matching serial numbers.

There is nothing wrong with 1911/1911a1 as long as they contain all government parts. Get one if you can, they arn't making them any more. But don't pay extra because someone is saying they are all matching numbered parts, there is no such animal.

My own personal 1911a1 is a colt and has two slides, a Colt slide and a USSC slide. In checking the serial numbers, I've seen a hell of a lot of different slides on Colt frames and visa versa.

USSC%201911%20Slide%202.JPG

I electro penciled the last 2 digits of the serial number on every part of my late 1912 colt, so now its "all matching". she has no finish left but has alot of character, i love this gun

WW1-1911.jpg