• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking about Hornady LnL Progressive, precision?

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Was looking at the Lee Loadmaster, but it looks like Hornady LnL is the way to go. good as dillon, not as much $$.

Anyways, I wanted to ask about how it would compare to my Lee single stage press. It's accurate enough and consistent.

My question was if the LnL will be accurate and precise as my single stage... I'm doing some research and it seems that progressive will never be as accuarate. but I had to check and confirm...

I use Forster bullet seater, redding bushing neck sizer and redding body die (when needed) I could add lee deprimer I guess. or RCBS lubing die or something

also, I heard I can use the LnL as a single stage as well....

how will this thing meter RL-22 and H4350/H4831sc?

Thanks!

Re: Thinking about Hornady LnL Progressive, precision?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was looking at the Lee Loadmaster, but it looks like Hornady LnL is the way to go. good as dillon, not as much $$.

Anyways, I wanted to ask about how it would compare to my Lee single stage press. It's accurate enough and consistent.

My question was if the LnL will be accurate and precise as my single stage... I'm doing some research and it seems that progressive will never be as accuarate. but I had to check and confirm...

I use Forster bullet seater, redding bushing neck sizer and redding body die (when needed) I could add lee deprimer I guess. or RCBS lubing die or something

also, I heard I can use the LnL as a single stage as well....

how will this thing meter RL-22 and H4350/H4831sc?

Thanks!

</div></div>

You can load accurate ammunition on a progressive, no doubt. Same with a SS press. The devil is in the details, as we say.

I went with a Dillon 550b years ago, in lieu of a SS press and I have no regrets.

You can load faster with a progressive, no doubt and they do shine on pistol rounds, where you don't have to lube to size and then delube your cases.

Hornady's LnL progressive is a very capable press. You won't go wrong getting one.

Chris

i have the hornady single and progessive, rifle rounds i use single stage, pistol i use progressive.

Anyone that says you can't make match-grade ammo on a progressive doesn't know what they're talking about - particularly if you're weighing charges.

Any of the Hodgdon "extreme" rifle powders are NOT going to meter great through any measure. My statistical analysis of Varget shows my RCBS Uniflow will hold a +/- .35gr tolerance over the course of 40 throws. With good OCW load workup, I think that is adequate to stay "on the node", and throw match-grade charges, but I haven't personally done it yet, so I can't say for sure.

I load my quality 308 ammo on a Dillon 650, dispensing individual charges with an RCBS Chargemaster. My ammo is GREAT, and concentricity is .0015" at WORST, and usually more like .0005".

I use the casefeeder, so I take a gallon ziplock bag of spent cases and dump them into the feeder. In the toolhead I have only the LEE universal decapper. I cycle through 400-500 cases in about 5-10 minutes. Then I clean with stainless.

If I'm going to FLS, I lube the cases up, dump in the feeder, cycle through them, then clean in stainless.

Otherwise, if I'm just going to necksize and shoulderbump the cases, I dump the clean cases in the feeder, install the Forster bushing/bump die in station 1, a Sinclair expander die with .306" mandrel in station 2, a funnel in station 3, station 4 is empty, so I can stick a bullet in the case when it sticks out of the toolhead when the ram is at TDC, and in station 5 I have my seater die.

Starting with brass that's ready to load and using my RCBS CM1500, I can load over 100 cartridges/hour. Closer to 120, in fact.

Ditto on the extruded powders. You'll get some variation, because they meter by volume, and unlike ball powders, don't pack as consistently.

I typically have variations of .1-.2 grains, sometimes as much as .3. If it's precision you need, just set the measure to meter low and pull each case, weigh and trickle up. You'd do that with a single stage anyway.

It helps GREATLY to have a SOLID reloading bench. Vibration/shaking of the powder measure (from the pressure required to run the sizing die) on an unsteady bench greatly affects the metering. Mount that sucker on a rock solid bench so that the powder measure doesn't shake around when you run the press and it will be much more consistent with the metering. At least, it has for me.

LNL is the only press I have. Works great as far as I'm concerned as a single stage press. Just insert the die you want and watch the brass cycle through the empty stages.

I shoot mainly pistol so I got the 550B. I hear alot of people have issues with a LNL press and have switched to the BLUE. I love the BLUE its waranty is freaking awesome. You can load percision but as many have said you must remember the details. Sometimes depending on what powder you are using it a little less accurate. I would get the BLUE had one for 10years never had any issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deerassassin22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot mainly pistol so I got the 550B. I hear alot of people have issues with a LNL press and have switched to the BLUE. I love the BLUE its waranty is freaking awesome. You can load percision but as many have said you must remember the details. Sometimes depending on what powder you are using it a little less accurate. I would get the BLUE had one for 10years never had any issues. </div></div>

where the hell did you hear that? people choose LnL from what i've seen. I can provide sources

its a little pricy but the Hornady Ammo plant seems pretty sweet, as im sure you would end up with all the goodies eventually any way.....

I use my LNL AP for pistol (9mm, 357 Sig, 40 and 45 ACP) plus 5.56. For my 308 and 338LM I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and also a Redding T7.

The LNL AP is great for cranking out crazy amounts of ammo, especially pistol with the case feed topped up. Same goes for 5.56.