• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Thinking about M&P .45ACP

Re: Thinking about M&P .45ACP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would highly recommend against shooting 9mm through a .40 slide. They are not the same regardless of what some company that sells barrels told you. A proper conversion from one to the other would replace barrel, slide, extractor, ejector, and magazine at the very least. </div></div>

I agree that to do a "proper" conversion... you need to do the above.

Never seen a problem in a Glock and haven't heard of any problems with the M&P's.

The internals on a .40cal slide can handle a 9mm without an problems.

But, the best thing is a 9mm upper and a 40cal/357sig upper so you can switch out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would highly recommend against shooting 9mm through a .40 slide. They are not the same regardless of what some company that sells barrels told you. A proper conversion from one to the other would replace barrel, slide, extractor, ejector, and magazine at the very least. </div></div>

I agree that to do a "proper" conversion... you need to do the above.

Never seen a problem in a Glock and haven't heard of any problems with the M&P's.

The internals on a .40cal slide can handle a 9mm without an problems.

But, the best thing is a 9mm upper and a 40cal/357sig upper so you can switch out. </div></div>

But the reality is that the breachface is not the same.

And in any event, there's no use for multiple calibers, because 9mm works just fine.

Well, no reason to turn it into an argument.

The main differences in the 40 vs the 9mm is going to be the 40 has more knockdown, the 9mm(still has plenty) is cheaper to shoot with less recoil. Essentially. ?

fwiw, i am new to the world of handguns, and spent roughly 8 months bth in stores handling the guns, watching youtube reviews, this site among others, etc. i have only ever shot a 22 and 38 special handgun. i got the m&p40 full size. i LOVE it. the recoil is very manageable (i think so anyways), i gave it to an experienced buddy of mine and he shot like a pro with it, so i know it's capable, it feels great in hand. there really is nothing bad to say about it.

Dz - when I say knockdown - I'm talking about the bullets ability to penetrate and expand - - - the size of the hole and amount of force the bullet has when it hits its intended target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryan Grubbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dz - when I say knockdown - I'm talking about the bullets ability to penetrate and expand - - - the size of the hole and amount of force the bullet has when it hits its intended target. </div></div>

That is more dependent on the bullet than the caliber. Some bullet designs penetrate more, some expand more, and in any event, hollow point bullets have a very high failure rate--even the high end ones.

You can debate terminal ballistics all day long, but the reality is that there's no meaningful difference between .38, 9mm, .40, .45, etc.

bigger bullets transfer more energy because the carry more energy. i also agree that the m&p handles the recoil better than say a glock would by design. i find the recoil in the m&p very manageable and i find the recoil in the glock to be somewhat punishing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryan Grubbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got ya. I'm not 100% on which caliber will be final, because quite frankly either one is going to do what I need it to do.

I do like 1911's, but with prices of the nicer 1911's in mind, I think I'll save purchasing one of those until after I've purchased the rest of my equipment.

And you'll have to excuse me, I'm still very new to this - what the hell is a high-cap and doublestack tupperware gun? I assume a singlestack steel gun would be a pistol in the form of the M&P and XD's, etc.? </div></div>

Doublestack high-cap tupperware gun = gun whose frame is plastic, and takes high capacity magazines wherein the ammuntion is stacked in two columns. These are your glocks, XDs, M&Ps, HK USPs...etc etc. These obviously have a wider grip to accomodate two colums of ammo, and often hold between 12 and 17 rounds...some even more in 9mm.

Singlestack steel gun pretty much means 1911. Frame is steel or at least metal, and the magazine holds one single column of ammo. This provides a very slim grip, but limits capacity to ~10 or less.

Full size Glock 45 (model 21) holds 13+1, Traditional 1911 in 45 holds 7+1.

On caliber, this thread is out of hand. Don't let ANYONE here intimidate your choice. Get what you want based on these criteria alone:

1. Cost of appropriate training - which boils down to ammo cost. You do NOT want to be in a position where ammo cost is influencing whether or not you can train/practice. If you are on a budget, that means get a 9mm. 45 is expensive. Figure $75 for a solid training session, vs. $35 in 9mm and $45 for 40. If budget is not an issue - get a 10mm!!

2. Recoil. If you are an able bodied man, you'll be able to handle the recoil of any automatic with a little practice. 9mm is certainly the easiest to shoot. In my opinion, 40 is the most difficult. 40 has the "snap" whereas 45 gives a nice thump. 10mm is right between 40 and 45 in the way it feels - it's beautiful!

3. What you like. Any will suit your needs JUST fine...just be sure to train train train!

I will spend slightly more money on the .40 as far as practice goes, but the .45 ammunition is a bit expensive.

Im not going to get in to the caliber debate. Buy what you like and what you can afford.
As far as regreting buying a S&W M&P 45 I don't have any. I fact I plan on buying another one in the spring.I have 500+ rounds through it so far and not one failure yet. I highly recommend the apex sear.

Okay... Lets put the size debate to rest.

Someone volunteer to let me stab them with a 9mm ice pick and then I will stab them with an 10.16mm (40 cal) or if they'd prefer, for posterity of course, an 11.43mm (45cal).

Then we can record which one had more stopping power.

Oh and... DZ, the reason to have a switch caliber is ammo availability.

If I'm ever stuck in a Katrina-like event I can shoot what I can find.

you can shoot alot of ammo when you reload because it becomes at least half as expensive

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and... DZ, the reason to have a switch caliber is ammo availability.

If I'm ever stuck in a Katrina-like event I can shoot what I can find. </div></div>

If the cops don't decide to take your guns.

I own 2 M&Ps 1 9mm and 1 45. I like them both but shoot the 9mm better. Im not a big fan of the 40. I sent them both to Dave Bowie at BTC for trigger jobs.

k9g

I have an M&P45 with the Dark Earth lower, threaded factory barrel and the Forward Set Sear Trigger system from Apex. The trigger is completely different in feel and look. It resembles a Glock trigger look but has the feel of a 1911 trigger and is made out of aluminum. It's amazing how little recoil there is and the shortened under and over travel. I think I'm too new to post pics but If I'm allowed I'll do so when I get home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can debate terminal ballistics all day long, but the reality is that there's no meaningful difference between .38, 9mm, .40, .45, etc.</div></div>

All things being equal (same HP bullet, same placement of shot), I would agree with this statement.

Get something you'll train with and be able to hit well with. I had a bad experience with the M&P 45, my mag springs failed many times (would bind and not let the follower up in the mag tube) and it took forever for Smith to fix the issue. Lost my warm fuzzies with the platform after investing 6,000 rounds and training with it.

I reload, so cost did not hurt me nearly as bad with the 45. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Downzero said:
Get something you'll train with and be able to hit well with. I had a bad experience with the M&P 45, my mag springs failed many times (would bind and not let the follower up in the mag tube) and it took forever for Smith to fix the issue.</div></div>

THIS! I have this same issue and still nothing back from S&W yet

find a buddy with an M&P 45, shoot it, see how you like it.
Hell, shoot a bunch of 45s and find one you like.
I've shot the M9 for so long (like a bunch of other guys on here) that I've got pretty comfortable and good with the piece of shit.
Bought a 1991A1 a few years ago, love that thing. Wish I could carry it in the Army. Actually, I wish we had that Para Hawg that carries like 14+1 or something... (I have big hands)...
Anyway, I bought an M&P45 a few months ago because the 1991A1 is a bit too big and heavy for concealed carry... love it to death.
I will say this, though- it is MUCH lighter than the M9 and 1991A1, so there is a bit more recoil but it's not a big deal. It's a bit less forgiving on the trigger than the M9 and Springfield, but it is a nice pistola. I like the 10+1 capacity, fits my hand great with the largest backstrap, sights are easy to acquire, it's double/single (feels like, anyway...which I like), uhh, what else... oh yah, it's smaller than my Springfield which makes it great for concealed carry. Mine is the black w/ no external safety.

I like it, dude, but go and shoot it before you buy it... would you buy a car that you haven't test drove before?
plus, it was only like 520 bucks. Bought it at Bass Pro

The M&P 45 is my primary gun these days. Put an Apex FSS in the thing and you will love the gun. Being an old 1911 guy my M&P's have the thumb safety and with the small backstrap in place it is as close to a 1911 as you will ever get with a polymer gun. Buy one - you will not regret it.

Ryan - the M&P is a great gun. Until you get to the point where you want to break the gun down just for fun or to clean it. You've got to stick a slender rod or something similar in the gun in order to depress the sear release thingey. A genuine pain in the neck and something I can't believe S&W employs. As far as 9 vs 45 is concerned, there's only a slight difference in the diameter. In my opinion, the difference is the weight of the bullet. As Giles Stock once said, "Mass equals stopping power." Let the "experts" debate the validity of that statement but it works for me.

I personally love my M&P 45 it and my USP 45 are my 2 favorites thats for sure.

Another M&P45 fan here. I run mine with an Apex DCAEK and shoot it almost as well as my Para P14. My buddy just picked one up along with a M&P9c. It seems the biggest complaint about them is the gritty stock trigger but even that smooths out after 200-300 rounds. Great guns. You'll be happy with your purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommyquest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another M&P45 fan here. I run mine with an Apex DCAEK and shoot it almost as well as my Para P14. My buddy just picked one up along with a M&P9c. It seems the biggest complaint about them is the gritty stock trigger but even that smooths out after 200-300 rounds. Great guns. You'll be happy with your purchase. </div></div>

+1 and definitely go with the Apex Parts - FSS is the way to go.