• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of rebarreling M1A SOCOM 16 with precision barrel

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
I have a socom 16 that I never shoot. I am thinking of selling it to fund a suppressor (30p1) or else rebarreling it with an accurate 20-22" tube. I realize it will be 1.5 moa at best but I think these are the two routs I am going to take with it. I really like the M14 family of rifles however it never seems to get the nod when I head out afield. How inherently inaccurate is the socom platform? More so than rack M1As? What say you guys? Waste of time?
Thanks

To make an M1A more accurate, you will need to do a LOT more than just re-barrel it. You may want to research this a bit more before making your decision. I don't remember all that needs to be done, but from what I do remember, they become money pits--bedding the stock, match trigger, match barrel, match sights, etc. Others here will be able to shed more light on this though.

This is just my opinion so you get what you pay for. If I was to do it over again I would get a Krieger that is headspaced for .308 rather than one of the older military type chambers cut for it, like M852. Krieger seems to be THE barrel for an M1A. You'll need a trigger job and probably better off replacing some parts with GI (if not already) in the trigger group while you're at it. This will give you a 4.5 lb. two stage trigger.

Then you're either looking at a bedded stock of some type (McMillan would be optimal) or a chassis like a Sage. When you're done, hopefully you will have a <MOA to MOA rifle. Unless you're a smith with M14/M1A experience you will pay somebody to do all the work for you.

And you will realize you could've just bought a GAP 10. And the AR type rifle will be easier to scope. M1A with NM sights might be worth it if that's what you really want.