• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This black cloud will not leave

I wouldn't say we're over clocking them per se, we're just stressing them a bit. These machines don't have a spare square centimeter of space inside them (everything is crammed into a brief cased sized box for portability up/down the ladder wells and hatches). These machines routinely receive 8 or more live video streams (HD) and several high velocity data streams (BFT, IBS, etc) and are also expected to serve up a fused COP feed (track correlation and fusion engine running in the back ground) to multiple consumers. Even then, it's not some much the speed, as it is the lack of airflow (based on the needed dimensions). We literally can not get enough airflow over the second Xeon (it was getting fried from the heat), so we went water cooled. Problem solved. This system couldn't exceed 28" in any dimension (which coincidentally is just small enough to fit through a submarine hatch or other vessel's small hatch. That's a tall order with three fold out HD screens, a crap load of storage and a server grade backplane with processors... To give you an idea of how dense these machines are, they weigh 85lbs each, but fold up into a little cube to meet the dimensional requirements.

Portable-computer-MilPAC-C4ISR-1024x576.png

Damn! That's a lot of "server grade" components crammed into that enclosure. Impressive!

If you have to ask the price, you don't need it in this case...

Reactions: QuickNDirty
You're overclocking them correct? They don't need liquid cooling if not. Never understood this unless you are a gamer and can't afford what you really need to reach the performance you're looking to get.

Doing it on a business machine makes no sense to me. Liquid cooling is just not worth it. Too many issues. Aggressive overclocking is also dubious as system stability is always compromised.

Possibly also they wanted less noise for some reason.

Happens to us all the time. Someone orders a rackmount server that they want to run as fast as possible for maximum performance and so on and so on....

Then they call us up all whining and bitching and claiming the systems bad because the fans are louder than their desktop.
(Some are idiots thinking they could use a high powered rackmount server in their desk or quiet office, others are just idiot techs who don't realize rackmount servers use airflow to keep cool and think their rack should be all nice and quiet like in some stupid movie they saw).

I used to explain to them that if you want to be stable running 100% CPU usage at full speed, 24/7 at regular ambient office style AC temperatures, then you need this thing called airflow.

Then after awhile I got to the stage of why bother... so I just tell them if fan noise is more important to you than performance, here is how to turn the server into power saving mode...

Reactions: QuickNDirty
I think I saw one of those on a TV show..... or what they think the .mil guys have that is similar.

Crazy stuff

I think I saw one of those on a TV show..... or what they think the .mil guys have that is similar.

Crazy stuff

It's possible. I seem to recall a show that mimic'ed our system, and they used our h/w supplier for a mocked up version.

SEAL team I think?

I know I know, but I was streaming shows once when sick and mindless watching of jihadis gettin wacked was kinda fun.
Plus the cia gal is kinda cute.
And stuff blows up a lot.
Better than MSNBC or CNN.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Decided to try an Egpu

A new video posted to YT with it using thunderbolt and I think it will work with the small hack and especially since the hack will install itself from the terminal

It was 1/2 the price of the Blackmagic one that Apple is promoting, and is still compatible with the new Macs according to Apple.

Should be pretty simple, disable SIP, drop in the code, run it, and then plug in the egpu and call it a day, see what happens.

Worst case it will work with my MBP which is new and has Thunderbolt 3

Reactions: MarinePMI
Decided to try an Egpu

A new video posted to YT with it using thunderbolt and I think it will work with the small hack and especially since the hack will install itself from the terminal

It was 1/2 the price of the Blackmagic one that Apple is promoting, and is still compatible with the new Macs according to Apple.

Should be pretty simple, disable SIP, drop in the code, run it, and then plug in the egpu and call it a day, see what happens.

Worst case it will work with my MBP which is new and has Thunderbolt 3

Sweet. The eGPU that you bought, is it just an empty enclosure with a PCIe slot in it or does it come with a specific card installed already?

If it's empty what card are you planning on running in it?

I went with the Sonnet Breakaway 550W

And paired it with the RX Vega 56,

The 650W was backordered so the 550W with Thunderbolt 3 should give me a bit of future proofing

The whole thing is 1/2 the cost of the better Blackmagic Egpu

Reactions: AIAW
The Vega 64 is supposed to be paired with the 650W enclosure

AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
These graphics cards are based on the AMD Vega 56 architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Vega 56 and XFX Vega 56.
Recommended Thunderbolt 3 chassis for these graphics cards:
  • OWC Mercury Helios FX4
  • PowerColor Devil Box
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W4
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W4
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64, Vega Frontier Edition Air, and Radeon Pro WX 9100
These graphics cards are based on the AMD Vega 64 architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Vega 64, XFX Vega 64, AMD Frontier Edition air-cooled, and AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100.
Recommended Thunderbolt 3 chassis for these graphics cards:
  • Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W4