• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report This has me freakin' FUMING mad...

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    I went to the range this morning and while setting up shop an elderly range officer looked at my rig, picked up a round and stated, <span style="font-style: italic">"we need to stop allowing this round out here...it's too powerful for this range"</span>

He then went on to say that someone on the 200 yard line had punched a hole in a steel I-beam and of course he surmised that it was a .338 Lapua round that did it based on the size of the hole. And of course I'm the only one he knows of with a .338 Lapua Mag.

As much as I wanted to crawl down this guys throat I refrained and attempted to explain what happens to a hollow point match round from a .308 or .300WM when it impacts steel. Hell there are numerous rounds that can punch steel.

Now I'm not going to let this incident pass without contacting the ownership of this facility but there is another point to be made here...

I'm an annual member at this range and I'm there once or twice a week. Not only am I there often but I'm there with giant signs all over my truck advertising my business, and as such I have to be cautious about my public behaviour. There isn't a line on this range that isn't full of holes in one place or another and not all of them are accidental. That said, if you're of the type that likes to see if you can take down one of the target posts for kicks you need to think about the repercussions of your actions...someone or something else might get blamed.

In this case a range employee is likely running off at the mouth at anyone that will listen about the evil .338 round and how it should be banned from the range. Once a range goes down this road you have to ask...what's next? 7mm mag? .300WM? .308? How about just banning all black rifles?

Please think about what you're doing at public ranges. There are very few of them left and if the anti-gunners had their way there would be NONE. Lets not be our own worst enemy.

Re: This has me freakin' FUMING mad...

Shooting at Bradford?

I like the facility, but the commentary from the Fudds is too much.

As a businessman, you are right, you have to watch your step.
    Gentlemanly behavior requires that you lean forward closely, and whisper in his ear, so no one else can hear you "Go F*** yourself".

I'd rather just hit FS land, but the range is the quickest place to get to and requires the least set up. I mostly dislike it because of having to wait for other shooters to clear the range or vice versa. A couple months ago, someone set water balloons up on the 300 yard range although the rules expressly forbid that. I cleaned them up and while I was doing it kept wondering if someone would see me and think I put them up there.

Same old story of a few bad eggs f'ing things up for the rest of us. I feel your pain. The public land that I used to use has been turned into a cesspool of shot up trash, I'm embarrassed to even go out there anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burneyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting at Bradford?

I like the facility, but the commentary from the Fudds is too much.

</div></div>

No. This was actually at Gateway in Jax

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a businessman, you are right, you have to watch your step.
    Gentlemanly behavior requires that you lean forward closely, and whisper in his ear, so no one else can hear you "Go F*** yourself". </div></div>
    I laughed out loud. Can not wait to do this!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemanly behavior requires that you lean forward closely, and whisper in his ear, so no one else can hear you "Go F*** yourself". </div></div>

I'm more of a "sharp stick" kind of guy but fortunately I had a good day shooting and it really didn't hit a nerve until the drive home.

We are banned from using video cameras at our public range. Some bright folks tried to 'shoot' a 'rap video' there.

eta: .338LM on up is banned as well. So are multiple bulls-eyes on targets. So are silhouettes, steel targets, etc. No rapid fire allowed, and they shortened the pistol berm from 100yd to 50yd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are banned from using video cameras at our public range. Some bright folks tried to 'shoot' a 'rap video' there.

eta: .338LM on up is banned as well. So are multiple bulls-eyes on targets. So are silhouettes, steel targets, etc. No rapid fire allowed, and they shortened the pistol berm from 100yd to 50yd. </div></div>

It's getting bad everywhere and you're pretty much stuck putting up with the BS. I need to leave Florida or pick up some abandoned farmland somewhere. This particular range's problems are compounded by some old-timers that like to just hang out and pretend to be in charge. For all I know this guy that approached me doesn't really even work there. I e-mailed the staff with a complaint and they said they'd look into it. We'll see.

I have a pasture about half a mile from my house. We can only shoot 400 yrds but some day thats plenty for me. One day we were at the range developing some come ups on the 308. A guy had came out to dump his yard waste at the treatment plant. He heard the shooting and imediately got on his floor board of his truck thinking someone was shooting at him. He decided to call the local police and the county also responded. Meanwhile we noticed the police flying by and thought we should head up to the road to see what the problem was. Luckily the county sheriff that was on seen was there precision rifle instructor. After inspecting our range he declared the caller an idiot and I made a friend. Since that incident we have't had a problem! I can only imagine that guy laying on his floor board. Rhtur

This was the same story that unfolded at my previous range. As it turns out, the WSM, WSSM, and such were the culprits.

My friend and I spent MANY hours building NEW 6 target AR500 steel pistol racks along with forty NEW AR500 targets for the 100/200/300 yard lines. NOTHING will penetrate these, except for the above mentioned cartridges at close range.

50 BMG will bend the targets, but not smoke through them.

I shoot at a local police range, 3 pistol ranges and a 300 yard rifle range. One day I ventured away from my little have at the rifle range to a pistol bay. I had seen 4 cops there when I arrived, upon reaching the bay I see fresh .223 casing all over and the brand new steel targets were riddled with holes!!! the bay was only 25 yards! then when I look up I see the handguns only sign has 5 rounds through it!! just goes to show that even societies 'finest' still have a few bad eggs, got me pissed though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...picked up a round....</div></div>

Right there is where he rated a broken finger.

Don't go finger fucking someone's shooting kit, uninvited.

just wanted to say that I hope things will get better for those who have had problems.I guess I am lucky when it comes to the range I shoot at.its just the back side of a friends place that we made into a range.but we can shoot out to 500 with no problem.

and for me I get tired of picking up all the trash that all of the other BUTT HEADS leave behind.but hey at least the owner sees that I will take care of his place and want tell me to leave and never come back.heck I even get to see deer walking from one place to another from time to time while I am testing some loads or just shooting.just hope things get better for those who seem to catch it for those who really don't care for the range the shoot at.

BattleAxe, this type of behaviour is why .338LM, Cheytacs, the .416 and .460 are now banned is south australia!

Apparently owners were made to hand in the firearms if they were in this calibre.

Why?

Some idiot range officer said the exact same thing... too powerful.

I couldnt believe such garbage would come out of the mouth of someone with such experience.

Surely they must know that it is skill that makes the marksman and not the diameter of their projectile!

Enfuriates me also. They better not try this shit on the other states in this country... Some day behaviour like that will leave us with only air rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enfuriates me also. They better not try this shit on the other states in this country... Some day behaviour like that will leave us with only air rifles! </div></div>

I e-mailed the staff and they had a talk with this range official. Thankfully they said they have no intentions of banning the .338LM. Apparently there are a lot of ranges that do ban them. I was originally going to get a .50BMG but they're are too few places that allow them. The .338 is a smokin' good compromise.

Yall have it better than us our range says NO MAGNUMS. But my 220 swift will punch a hole in steel faster than anything else.And no i dont shoot steel with it just to prove them wrong either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's getting bad everywhere and you're pretty much stuck putting up with the BS. I need to leave Florida or pick up some abandoned farmland somewhere. This particular range's problems are compounded by some old-timers that like to just hang out and pretend to be in charge. For all I know this guy that approached me doesn't really even work there. I e-mailed the staff with a complaint and they said they'd look into it. We'll see. </div></div>

Seems like all ranges have those old timers. If possible, I try to shoot far away from everyone else (at least 4 bays). If not possible, I've turned around without firing a shot. It's not worth it.

Finally got my suppressor for my SR-25 and went to my local range here in Roanoke, TX. Fired two rounds and was told I would have to leave since they do not allow any class III devices on the range. I was dumbfounded. I understand not letting fully automatic weapons but a suppressor?

I dont care who you are, public ranges just flat suck. Until I moved last month I forgot how nice it is, to go out my front door and shoot. I have my own personal range 50ft from my house out to a mile or more. Sacvalley shooting center was the only range I ever went to I enjoyed (and felt half safe).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BattleAxe, this type of behaviour is why .338LM, Cheytacs, the .416 and .460 are now banned is south australia!

Apparently owners were made to hand in the firearms if they were in this calibre.

Why?

Some idiot range officer said the exact same thing... too powerful.

I couldnt believe such garbage would come out of the mouth of someone with such experience.

Surely they must know that it is skill that makes the marksman and not the diameter of their projectile!

Enfuriates me also. They better not try this shit on the other states in this country... Some day behaviour like that will leave us with only air rifles! </div></div>

A friend and I got kicked out of Ben Avery shooting range in Phoenix AZ for trying to shoot groups with our 375 Cheytacs at 200Y.They thought they were 50 BMG's.We said nope and then asked them.Do you allow dangerous game rifles such as elephant guns in cartridges like 460 Weatherbys and similar,it's comparable to the energy levels produced by the Cheytacs ? They said yes.

They couldn't come up with an explanation as to why the 408 and 375ct were not allowed.

5.56 has done more damage to my AR500 plates than any .338LM has ever done to them. The only hole I have punched in one of my steal targets is from a 7mm mag at 30 yards, followed by a .243 hitting in the exact same spot/same distance right after.

The knee jerk response about .338LM at certain public ranges just boggles the mind.