• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes This ? is for those who have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
owned an used many different brands of glass, power levels (an Red Dots) for over 30 - 60 years.
(1) What brands of Scopes an power of same have you owned, an which do you still have/use?
(2) Which ONE scope, is your most favorite of the bunch, an why?
(3) Which Red Dots (or similar) have you owned
(4) Which of the above is your favorite one of all?

Beware,...This not a FNG fan boy thread as your level of experience can be known with just a few pointed questions you can't google the answer to.

The request to have 30-60 years experience is going to limit these responses.

There are several people on here that have used a ton of different optics. Might want to edit these “requirements”

I would say my favorite all around scope has been nightforce atacr 5 x 25 x56. It’s great for hunting and long range shooting. Also tough as a boot!

Reactions: winniethepooh
I like the k624 skmr3 alot. Is it the best? No. Has it let me down? No.
But for me its comfortable and adequate. Scopes are like ford vs chevy. Buy a Dodge.....

Reactions: Fig
owned an used many different brands of glass, power levels (an Red Dots) for over 30 - 60 years.
(1) What brands of Scopes an power of same have you owned, an which do you still have/use?

Beware,...This not a FNG fan boy thread as your level of experience can be known with just a few pointed questions you can't google the answer to.

tenor.gif

HeavyReasonableKinglet-size_restricted.gif

The only optics I've owned 30+ years are the one's I can't sell cause there cheap trash that would cost more to ship than thay are worth.

The oldest scope that I still use... there are two, 2.5x10 Nikon Tactical mil/moa and a 3-9×36 mk4 m3 also mil/moa. I have them still cause they work well for the specific role each plays. The nikon is on my small game rimfire and the mk4 m3 is on a 450 bushmaster that's a 1.5 moa gun.

30 year old red dot... I've got a Swedish made silver thing. Don't recall the brand though.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123
The oldest scope that I still use... there are two, 2.5x10 Nikon Tactical mil/moa and a 3-9×36 mk4 m3 also mil/moa. I have them still cause they work well for the specific role each plays. The nikon is on my small game rimfire and the mk4 m3 is on a 450 bushmaster that's a 1.5 moa gun.

I have the Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 Mildot Mil/MOA too! Only old scope that I still use.

I too do not meet requirements so I must say a good quality BUIS has worked well for the last decades. My UNERTLE has served well for my short time with it.

I do enjoy my NF scopes and Trijicon MRO’s, but what do I know?

a0f600cc22dd24ab8140869d75d267b7.png

Shit, I barely make the minimum age requirement.
And that’s only because my father fixed his spare 70’s glossy 4x Tasco to my Red Ryder just so I’d quit begging for a new BB gun with a scope.

I’ll say that nothing compares to today’s glass and ergonomics..

If you need this thread to justify old tech, I feel a bit sorry for you.. yes, owned a lot of old top glass, Mil/Moa .. but today we are blessed with amazing glass, great reticles, wonderful turrets... It is truly the golden age of LR PR scopes. Well all glass today is a gear ahead, my Swaros are good but so is my Razor HD..

The old SN9 was really something, but today is not yesterday, even if you are a wonderfully nostalgic old guy.

Not 30 years of experience but here is my thoughts from my experience of owning and shooting through each of these below:

Long Range Scopes
1. Tangent Theta (Currently Own)
2. Kahles 525 Tie (Currently Own)
2. Nightforce 7x35 Tie
3. Kales 624 Tie
3. Vortex GenII Tie (Currently Own)
4. Leupold Mark 5
5. Bushnel XRS
6. Leupold Mark 4
7. Vortex Gen I

Red Dots:
1. Trijicon MRO
2. Aimpoint (Currently Own)
3. EoTech

For those that answered truthfully,
Do you find
(1) You can use your older glass to a higher level today,... than when you first mounted it?
(2) Or do you feel now, that since you have much more experience across the board, you may have reached for better glass before really understanding how to operate what you had. Ie like using a SFP duplex in reverse as a BDC?
(3) Of the red dots was the original Sweden Aimpoint your first? If so,... how long did it take you to understand how to use it for ranging based on the subtention of the brightness level you had it set on?
(4) Looking back,...Do you now find you were chasing a ghost based on inexperience/ability with the tool at hand?
(5) Do you now find yourself using a higher mechanical offset (fixed, or no X device)an pay closer attention to ranging details.
(6) If you had today's ability,... an had to revert to your older glass, what percentage of confidence would you have in yourself in being able to prefrom the same tasks today, as you were tasking that glass back then?

I had a early Aimpoint. Never occurred to me to range with it. It was frame mounted on a open IPSC gun and the most memorable thing about it was that it needed a battery everytime I picked it up.

My oldest scope is a 40 year old Redfield Widefield and is still mounted on a Model 70 30-06. Gathers dust in the safe. No comparison to even cheap scopes today.

Actually, now that I look, I've a Weaver K4 X4 steel bodied scope that is probably 50 years old, mounted on a Model 700 7mmRM. Both of those old scopes would do as well today as when they were new, for the job they were purchased for. Deer sized game within 200 yards in good light. No comparison to today's glass, reticules, turrets, even mounting systems.

I just got into precision rifle stuff, so Ill not comment on scopes. Red dots, Ive got about 12 years of professional use.

Those have been between the Aimpoint CompM4 and the Eotech 512 mostly. I give a slight edge to the CompM4 only because Ive abused one much more than I have the Eotech. However, as I develop more astigmatism, I find the reticle on the Eotech is more clear for me.

I had a early Aimpoint. Never occurred to me to range with it. It was frame mounted on a open IPSC gun and the most memorable thing about it was that it needed a battery everytime I picked it up.

My oldest scope is a 40 year old Redfield Widefield and is still mounted on a Model 70 30-06. Gathers dust in the safe. No comparison to even cheap scopes today.
Old aimpoint like this old?
86014DA0-275E-48DE-8B40-6667E3927F75.jpeg

Reactions: ReaperMedic
Old aimpoint like this old? View attachment 7207875
That must be a later version of the one I just sold a few weeks ago. Mine had open adjustments, just two screwdriver slots for U&W. Mine had a price tag of 179.95 when I bought it back 1975. The guys I was running with then thought I was nuts, until they used it the first time on an 16 carrying handle. Then once we fully understood the added offset it gave, it came into it's own with us.

All,
Laughing,... it's very apparent who has very thin skin, plus when you look at their other posts across the site an add where they never post, or just give a generic/google answer. The read is clear to a blind man,....

@Gunfighter14e2
This is the second or third(if the electronic then electronic G2 count as different models?)version the mark iii, you must have had the electronic. I want the third version which is the 2000 for a retro clone build I have going on but this mkiii will have to work for now. The pic one is just a stock internet pic not mine but once the build is finished maybe I’ll post a pic.

All,
Laughing,... it's very apparent who has very thin skin, plus when you look at their other posts across the site an add where they never post, or just give a generic/google answer. The read is clear to a blind man,....

When you embody the classic meme of an older person who doesn't want to listen to anyone deemed "less experienced" by you, out of the gates with your inquiry, don't be surprised if you get called out on it. I think there is an AARP Section of the Forum where you can live in your preferred echo chamber.

In the attempt to kick this thread back onto the tracks, your OP doesn't give any insight into to what application the optics would be grouped by. But in short, the oldest red-dot I still possess is the Aimpoint ML3, which I think came out in the early 2008s? Given the technological advancements/reticle developments over the last 10 years, I've turned and burned through some magnified optics, but I've always owned some type of Schmidt and Bender over the last 15 years, currently a 3-20x Ultra Short.

Also own a ZCO and TT but those are way under your experience requirement so I'll refrain from commenting.

When you embody the classic meme of an older person who doesn't want to listen to anyone deemed "less experienced" by you, out of the gates with your inquiry, don't be surprised if you get called out on it. I think there is an AARP Section of the Forum where you can live in your preferred echo chamber.

In the attempt to kick this thread back onto the tracks, your OP doesn't give any insight into to what application the optics would be grouped by. But in short, the oldest red-dot I still possess is the Aimpoint ML3, which I think came out in the early 2008s? Given the technological advancements/reticle developments over the last 10 years, I've turned and burned through some magnified optics, but I've always owned some type of Schmidt and Bender over the last 15 years, currently a 3-20x Ultra Short.

Also own a ZCO and TT but those are way under your experience requirement so I'll refrain from commenting.
This type of response is what you get when you don't have a clue as to the intent of the question. Carry on your doing just fine living in your own world.

im kind of lost in this thread but ill chime in..

oldest scope we still have around is a redfield 3-9 on my dads m70 30-06 from '64.
old girlfriend worked in sears (or another department store) and she had a coupon of sorts and my father bought the whole set up.

had, still have or played with most scopes from the cheapest crap to some high dollar stuff

i have found that you really "dont need" a much better scope component wise than a NF NXS. not talking the super ELR stuff or KO2M etc

hitting steel or paper up to 1000 yards and alike

below that quality of glass i would see targets disappear with heavy mirage

Status
Not open for further replies.