• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

THIS IS HOW I FIND THE LANDS IN CHAMBERS

Re: THIS IS HOW I FIND THE LANDS IN CHAMBERS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im confused. </div></div>
Ditto.
If that's the bullet as it comes out from touching the lands, your measure is not the OAL.
The OAL <span style="font-weight: bold">is</span> the measure of the bullet, from tip to case face.

OAL = Overall Ammunition Length

I do the same minus the pistol case and then subtract 0.020" to give me a starting point

I have used the stoney point tool in the past as well and I think this method work OK

".. HOW I FIND THE LANDS IN CHAMBERS "

Glad we've got THAT settled!

I have heard of a version of this being used (without projo) as a chamber length gauge.
http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm
instead of the aluminum plug you can use a pistol case that has a base the same diameter as the outside neck dimension. I am with everyone on this and have no idea what you are doing or trying to measure

I'm sorry to break the news, but OAL has been defined long time ago, as "Overall Ammunition Length".
And that's what the phrase just explicitly and quite simply states. The measure from the tip of the bullet, to the case face.
If you want to re-define OAL for the whole shooting community, go ahead and enlighten us ...

Why use a seperate piece of brass (the pistol case), unless you happen to have a pistol case that is larger than your rifling, yet smaller than where the case neck ridge is machined in your chamber?

With what you have there, your measuring tool (the pistol case) could be stopping at the case neck cut, not the leade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKIE2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im confused. </div></div>
Ditto.
If that's the bullet as it comes out from touching the lands, your measure is not the OAL.
The OAL <span style="font-weight: bold">is</span> the measure of the bullet, from tip to case face.

OAL = Overall Ammunition Length

</div></div>

Sorry you are wrong all bullets do not measure the same to the tip even from same box! How about if I said lands in throat would that suit you. and the oal to the lands is what i'm talking about. Not the Overall Ammunition Length which has nothing to do with where the lands are.</div></div>
You have got everyone reading this post confused with your drawing, and for a reason.
If you replace, in your drawing, the phrase "This is your OAL", with a proper definition, maybe things will start looking a bit more clear.
OAL has a very well defined meaning in the shooting community, and it's not the distance of the lands.

OAL....Over All Length- The length of the bullet + case. Ive always used the spliteck to find where to seat my bullet but use maglength with the same accuracy in my rifle so it doesnt matter if I seat it .10 from the lands. Honestly if you dont have a tight fitting chamber that most BRs use its kind of useless in my book. But just incase you guys want to try this. Take a Dremmel and make 4 tiny little slits around your case mouth put a bullet in and slide it up into the chamber. The slits on the case will allow the bullet to be pushed back into the case mouth. Carefully remove the cartridge not allowing the case to be ejected and remove with your fingers. Measure the OAL and set it up to be .10 or however long you want to be from the lands and there you have your measurement. Set your die up for that specific measurement. Tip: The longer you make your slits the easier it is for the bullet to slide back into the brass so dont make the slits to big...just long enough for the bullet to be pushed back.

THIS IS HOW I TYPE IN CAPS LOCK.

I seat a dummy cartridge long, blacken the ogive with permanent magic marker, and chamber the cartridge. If rifling marks are present; I reseat the bullet 1/2 turn of the seating stem deeper and retry. When the marks disappear, I turn the seating stem down one more full turn and lock it.

KISS.

Greg

Wow, this went off track quickly. Don't believe OKIE2 has a drawing in his post, Wheres Waldo does. I think most people figured out what OKIE2 was trying to say. And what he suggested works very well for determining the length to ogive, cheap too!!!!

That was OKIE2's fourth post, looks like he got a great welcome with his attempt to exchange information. Hope he comes back.

OKIE2 Did have a picture with his post and you missed it. It has been edited out completely. I have edited this post so you can see at the bottom when someone edits. His original post was a fucked up looking drawing with a loaded round with a pistol case on the top and an "explanation" of what he was doing. No not a single person could figure out his drawing and what it was supposed to measure or do. Just because it is your first post and you post a picture that "seasoned" rifle and pistol shooters and reloaders can't figure out WTF it is, does not mean you get a day off of getting taken to the shed. Reloading can be dangerous and misinformation can and will get you killed. If I am wrong then correct me.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pirate-69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, this went off track quickly. Don't believe OKIE2 has a drawing in his post, Wheres Waldo does. I think most people figured out what OKIE2 was trying to say. And what he suggested works very well for determining the length to ogive, cheap too!!!!

That was OKIE2's fourth post, looks like he got a great welcome with his attempt to exchange information. Hope he comes back. </div></div>

Well that helps to expain everyone's confusion and mine as to why the replys were the tone that they were. Looks like the picture had been removed when I viewed the post. And I do agree with "Reloading can be dangerous and misinformation can and will get you killed. If I am wrong then correct me.....". I will not have any problems with someone correcting me if I am incorrect with my information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loud Noises!</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OKIE2 Did have a picture with his post and you missed it. It has been edited out completely. I have edited this post so you can see at the bottom when someone edits. His original post was a fucked up looking drawing with a loaded round with a pistol case on the top and an "explanation" of what he was doing. No not a single person could figure out his drawing and what it was supposed to measure or do. Just because it is your first post and you post a picture that "seasoned" rifle and pistol shooters and reloaders can't figure out WTF it is does not mean you get a day off of getting taken to the shed. Reloading can be dangerous and misinformation can and will get you killed. If I am wrong then correct me.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pirate-69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, this went off track quickly. Don't believe OKIE2 has a drawing in his post, Wheres Waldo does. I think most people figured out what OKIE2 was trying to say. And what he suggested works very well for determining the length to ogive, cheap too!!!!

That was OKIE2's fourth post, looks like he got a great welcome with his attempt to exchange information. Hope he comes back. </div></div> </div></div>

I would think that rather than trash the guy, you might look to what he was trying to say.

You basically make a dummy round by cutting two or four slots down the side of the neck of a bottleneck case or down as far as a straight-walled case holds the bullet. Pinch it together so that it holds a bullet. Put that case/bullet (dummy cartridge) in the chamber of your firearm so that it extends past where you normally load it. GENTLY, push it forward until it seats all the way and the bolt is locked. Then GENTLY, unload the dummy cartridge, taking it so that it isn't ejected from the firearm.

Measure the OAL of the bullet. Write that down! If you didn't take notice the lands pushed the bullet back to this point in the case. Get it now? The OAL (overall length or overall ammunition length) is as far as the bullet can be forward so that the lands are touching the ogive. This isn't hard if you just think about it. It also doesn't take a $20 something threaded rod/plunger and a $6 dummy case in each chambering just to find where your bullet hits the lands. Chastizing over.

Now, take that same bullet (not a different one from the same box), slip it out of the dummy case. Back out the bullet seater in your seating die. Set the bullet (that very same one) you used in the dummy case and run the case up into the die. The bullet should have started to seat. Measure the threads of the bullet seater stem, i.e. 20 tpi will be .050" per turn. Turn down the seater until you get your bullet to where it sat in the dummy case, i.e. OAL in dummy case was 2.984, then run your bullet down to 2.984. That is if you want to touch the lands. You can also back it off to have the bullet seated in the lands or turn it in to back it off the lands. For those of you with a micrometer type die...just adjust it. I figure those of you who bought one probably know how to use it.

Edit:

A little hint: meplat uniformers work wonders when finding your OAL this way.

Also, if your bullet seater in your die tends to hit the tips, like on VLD's, spend a few bucks and change it to the type bullet you load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott E White</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your patience in explaining all this is to be appreciated, as it's all in the nature of trying to help. Very remedial and basic, but yet possibly overlooked by some.

As <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">The Mechanic</span></span> explained three posts above yours, the confusion was caused when the OP threw an empty pistol casing on top of his projectile prior to your "GENTLY, push it forward..." step.</div></div>

Sorry,...must've been skip reading. Miss good information that way. Helps keep the feet out of the shit so-to-speak.