• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes This is looking pretty cool, Euro Optics Rianov & ERA TAC

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    This arrived today from Jason @ Euro Optics

10351147_756276524395873_7242119391130988557_n.jpg

They are carrying the Rianov Ballistic Calculator that attaches to your scope, along with the ERA Tac Adjustable Cant Scope.

Just mounted it up and made sure I had the basic settings in place, but overall, I like the package.

The MOA Adjustable mount is actually very cool, low profile, with a wheel to dial the desired MOA as needed, which for the ELR Crowd could be the difference between needing to hold at distance or being able to further dial. It's a very smart design.

https://rianov.com/product/4

ERA-TAC - Adjustable Inclination Mounts

ERA-TAC-Nut-Adjustable-Inclination-Mount.jpg

That is a good idea. I look forward to seeing how repeatable it is and how it holds up...

It's the JBM Software, this is the guy I believe that actually has the engine behind JBM, which is used by a lot of stuff.

A lot of it is just a variation of Point Mass which is open source, but they all add in their own little tweaks, but this is the guy that owns a few of the tweaks I believe that is used by most other software out there.

The people behind the Rianov are one of the early entries into ballistic software.

To get in depth a bit,

You have 4 Modes you can operate in, and the computer will do a bunch of stuff for you. You can input your mil readings for range, and the computer will give you the solution, you can have it set to auto incline / for slope and cant adjustments which it will do automatically, or you can just input the range (and slope & cant) and the computer will give you that solution.

You add a lot in about your weapon, Twist, Bullet Length, Lat, Bearing, MV, etc, it will show you how to calculate MV Corrections which you can add in. You can put in offsets for scopes issues, or mounting variations, so it's getting a lot of data to use. The wind is very good, and easy to use, as well you just add in your range and go.

I would say it's very similar to the Kestrel solutions with a slightly easier menu (once you set it up) They are also sending me the Multi Gun version, this is the SOLO which is a one gun solution. When you consider that one gun solutions is $230 it's pretty reasonable compared to the options.

From their page

[h=1]RIANOV™ Technology[/h]RIANOV™ patented technology offers shooters the ability to mount solid state electronics to their weapons which provide real-time data, fully compensated solutions and other information critical to the success of the shooter.
    [h=2]HOW IT WORKS[/h]The RIANOV™ encapsulates a series of sensors and a microprocessor that manages and controls the sensors and user interface to allow the user to remain focused on the mission.
    Internal sensors monitor:

• Temperature
    • Barometric Pressure
    • Look angle (Uphill/Downhill)
    • Cant Angle (Rotation about Barrel)
    [h=2]FOR THE RIANOV™ M06[/h]Ranging Your Target (2 steps)§

1. Press the SoT (Size of Target) Button and enter the size of your target . You can enter any value from 1 inch to 9999 inches and convert to other units (feet, yards and meters).
    2. While looking through your scope, place the cross-hairs (or any portion of the reticle markings, even if your scope only provides a single dot) on the top† of the target, press and release the PTR (Push-To-Range™) Button and hold steady to establish the start point of the measurement. Move the cross-hairs to the bottom of the target, press and release the PTR Button and hold steady to establish the end point of the measurement.
    § - These steps can be completed in any sequence
    † - RIANOV supports measuring from top to bottom or bottom to top

[h=2]FOR ALL RIANOV™ PRODUCTS[/h]Ranging Outputs

• Range to Target (Unit options include Yards & Meters)
    • Elevation Adjustment (Displayed in MOA, Mils, Inches or Clicks)
    • Windage Adjustment (Displayed in MOA, Mils, Inches or Clicks)
    The RIANOV™ also allows you to enter wind speed and direction in addition to moving target information that is combined with the ballistics solution and displayed in one set of Elevation and Windage setting adjustments to get you first-shot accuracy like never before.

Because software makes it easier, especially for people without the ability to verify dope at distance.

Why mount it, that can certainly be debated, it's not very big or heavy, so why not.

Essentially, its JBM in a box... which many find JBM to accurate and convenient, and it adjust via conditions outside which it reads.

Yup, Jason told me about these mounts at the beginning of year.... quickly sold me on them. Had to get 2 of them. Took a while for them to actually arrive to the states, definitely worth the wait

Very nice mount, small and compact with adjustable inclination. Excellent!!!!!!

Gonna have to give that mount serious consideration. Which height would work best with the upcoming Vortex 4.5-27x56 on a Desert Tech HTI? I assume you'd need to allow for inclination?

The LED screen is so tiny with my aging eyes, I need a Google glass or wifi link to my 5" smartphone.

Last edited:
    We were at SHOT with Jason when the Rianov team demo'd them.

We tested the Solo out to 1KM over the course of a week on a 260Rem and a 300WM and it was dead on every single time. We even ran it side by side with another PDA based solution and got differing results but the solutions coming from the Solo were the ones that worked.

The Eagle not only allows you to set profiles but also DOPE so you can get accurate readings in the transonic and subsonic stages of flight.

Amazing bit of gear....

I was wondering what the difference was between the Solo and Eagle. Thanks for that. The Solo is nicely priced, may be looking at that one.

I am waiting for the second unit to arrive, it's the multi gun, Jason never said the designation so I don't know if it's the Eagle.

JBM Ballistics has always been well known for accurate data. It lead the way with this for years, most of the current apps are playing catch up to JBM. This just takes it from the desktop to the field.

As a point, you are adding in a lot more data than you typical software found on a phone. As well it won't let you continue without adding in your Lat & Bearing so that brings better data to bear, as many like to turn on the options with the phone and never use their location data correctly.

The test of any software is not inside 1k but well beyond. It's too easy to get accurate data inside 1000. But I do use JBM, especially starting out with a new system so I am well aware of it's potential.

I'm going to have to pick up a Rianov solo. Question though, how rugged does it seem? Reason I ask is I'm clumbsy and I'm wondering if I should use it stand alone or mounted. In the event my rifle goes crashing down like has happened many times I wouldn't want to break it.

I could see the mount bending, but not the unit breaking it's pretty solid.

The arm on the mount is the week point, though I have it just ever so slightly loose and you can rotate it out of the way if you wanted too

Good to hear the unit is solid, I'll go ahead and order with the mount then. If the mount bends or breaks it's not the end of the world to me, $40 to replace a mount is much better than $230 to replace the unit.

It will likely be used on only one rifle, do you see any advantage to the multi gun version for use on a single comp gun?

The EAGLE has multiple methods of mounting. Scope Mount Kits (1'', 30mm, 34 mm, 35 mm) and a Rail Mount Kit. The commercial Unit in the US is $750 plus mounts. The benefit of the EAGLE over the SOLO is memory for up to 16 different weapon systems. You also can enter up to 60 entries of DOPE for each weapon system. The DOPE "True-Zero points" helps you extend into the Trans/Sub Sonic regions.

The Military Version by Precision Targeting LLC is a part of the SOCOM PSR Ballistics solution set called IBEAM. The Military EAGLE is interoperable with the STORM, RURL and Wilcox Raptor LRF's. The one of the other biggest difference between the RIANOV systems and others out on the market are they actually calculate/compensate your solutions based on your weapon orientation. So if your weapon is canted up to (-90 ° - +90°) with or without inclination (-/ +). This is huge, because you can’t always get level in real world situations and if you need to take that shot canted you now can with confidence.

SOFIC 2014 - Precision Targeting - Soldier Systems Daily

RIANOV?s Latest Weapon Mounted Ballistic Computer | FOG HORN

You can purchase these at EuroOptic.com

Last edited:
    Man for that price you cant really beat this piece of kit. I am really interested in how this puppy performs and the reviews it gets. I've been looking at replacing my smartphone for a while now but just haven't had the dough for a PDA. My biggest concern is the speed at which a solution can be found. I do a lot of 0-1000yd varmint extermination and need something that will compute quickly and accurately to aid in a cold bore hit. pumped to see your field review, lowlight.

I am pretty much blind without my glasses and it's very bright and easy to read. It's far easier to read than a Kestrel I will say that.

I will wait for the reviews before I add one to my rifle. It is nice to see one in action. I prefer for the solo to have a rail mount and the unit stick to the left.

How about this version, called M06:
    RIANOV_Range_finder.jpg

I read the manual pdf of the solo, there is no info on moving target compensation. There are many more difference between the eagle and the solo. A spec compassion is highly recommended. Also, How about mulit-bullet configuration. It seems it is supporting 1 bullet configuration only. At 10 bullet per rifle would great.

BTW, all those ranging mode are nice for SFP scopes, with FFP ranging is in the reticule. If you hvae a LRF than Mode 3 is all that you need.

Last edited:
    I find that Rianov very interesting. I wonder if Spuhr will make an accessory mount for it.

Beiruty- the Eagle allows you to enter profiles. Yes if you have an LRF you don't need to use the ret ranging feature but you can still use the cant slope feature which is another mode. That's the great thing about it, you can choose which mode you use. I haven't seen the M06 so I can't comment.

David - it's super quick. Once your data is set for that load and rifle then all you need to do is enter range and if you want to, wind. It can be done in a few seconds.

Lowlight- yes the other is called the eagle. Yes outside 1K is better but the range was limited to 1K. Even at that range the other software was not giving data as accurate as the Solo. Additionally, at 1K the 260 was well into the transonic zone so it was a good test on that gun. The 300 however was a walk in the park.

For ELR try the Eagle when you get it. It has added capabilities for accurate ranging into transonic and subsonic flight.

The one thing that would be nice for a future generation would be a Bluetooth addition which I believe is being worked on. If you can make it talk to a Ketrel and an LRF simultaneously it would be unbelievable.

Last edited:
    Beiruty- the Eagle allows you to enter profiles. Yes if you have an LRF you don't need to use the ret ranging feature but you can still use the cant slope feature which is another mode. That's the great thing about it, you can choose which mode you use. I haven't seen the M06 so I can't comment.

David - it's super quick. Once your data is set for that load and rifle then all you need to do is enter range and if you want to, wind. It can be done in a few seconds.

Lowlight- yes the other is called the eagle. Yes outside 1K is better but the range was limited to 1K. Even at that range the other software was not giving data as accurate as the Solo. Additionally, at 1K the 260 was well into the transonic zone so it was a good test on that gun. The 300 however was a walk in the park.

For ELR try the Eagle when you get it. It has added capabilities for accurate ranging into transonic and subsonic flight.

The one thing that would be nice for a future generation would be a Bluetooth addition which I believe is being worked on. If you can make it talk to a Ketrel and an LRF simultaneously it would be unbelievable.

Transonic at 1000m? I'm pushing my 140 Amaxs at 2750fps and still travelling at 1150fps at 1200m.

As I understand it, you put a reticle marking at the top of your target, push a button, move the reticle feature to the bottom of the target, push a button and input the size of the target in inches.

Is this basically how the ranging works? How accurate is this system in practice?

As I understand it, you put a reticle marking at the top of your target, push a button, move the reticle feature to the bottom of the target, push a button and input the size of the target in inches.

Is this basically how the ranging works? How accurate is this system in practice?
    It depends if you are ranging a target in 1-3 MOA or 36+ MOA. For the former have you leadsled rest at the bench.

Last edited:
    It depends if you are ranging a target in 1-3 MOA or 36+ MOA. For the former have you leadsled rest at the bench.

With out using a leadsled how accurate has it been for you?

With out using a leadsled how accurate has it been for you?

I am sorry, I do not have the Solo or the Egale. I am just speculating from point of view of engineering. 1-2 MOA is very small angular degree, where shaking of the rifle could be relatively have high impact on the measurement. ranging 96" tall fence at 500 yrds to 1000 yrd is much easier then ranging 1" at 100 yrd.

Last edited:
    I am sorry, I do not have the Solo or the Egale. I am just speculating from point of view of engineering. 1-2 MOA is very small angular degree, where shaking of the rifle could be relatively have high impact on the measurement. ranging 96" tall fence at 500 yrds to 1000 yrd is much easier then ranging 1" at 100 yrd.

Beiruty, It will be interesting to see how well your speculations conform to reality once someone with a unit in hand posts what actual results they have achieved. I like the JBM on line ballistic calculator, so if the Rianov can generate accurate ranges in actual use I might need to give Jason a call.

In some of the photos it seems that the Rianov has a pretty good back light. Can this be turned off and the display still be useable?

Lowlight are you planning on doing a more in depth review of the SOLO model? I really like the concept but would like a little more firsthand comments/reviews first.