• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is so sad.

I see people defending its, and I have know very gentle ones, but over all the owners seem to think they have a bad ass. I cant say definitively that its a bad breed but look at the statistics and make your call. Whether from crappy owners or bad breed, they seem to be involved in a large % of mauling's.

Hold owner's responsible both civilly and criminally might help.

As mentioned in a recent post, I have wolf dogs. Id trust Nikita with any child. I saw a group of little girls run up to her and she jsut stopped in her tracks and held absolutely still while they petted her. I know her well and she would never bite a human unless she was being beaten and then only to get away. On the other hand she is incredibly agressive to any other animal that enters what she sees as her territory. Still trying to find a new home for her.

Her daughter, Cloud, is dangerous, however, she will definitely lick you to death in a heart beat.
Let me ask you something.

Do you think those statistics more accurately represent the breed itself or the typical owners of that breed.

I’ll give you a hint.

My closest meth head neighbors just got a full grown pit

“ Live in southern NM and lots of the local gang banger types like them and always incidents with them attacking people especially small children”

Last edited:
I don't think today's pit bull is the same as 100 years, ago. Most breeds have been selectively modified, intentionally and many dogs are damaged, due to inbreeding.
Any purebred dog today is very inbred and that certainly causes problems. We always get rescues that are mixed breeds. Always get them as puppies so they can be socialized correctly. They don't exhibit some of the tendencies I see in purebred dogs.

The dogs I have met that are most likely to bite without any provocation are these purebred little yippie dogs. Fucking high strung animals.

All dogs can bite when they feel provoked. The real story is many of the instances can be prevented by following some common sense rules. Unfortunately, little children sometimes don't know that their actions are misinterpreted. I can't tell you how many times I have seen little kids try to give a dog a hug by wrapping their arms around the dogs neck. Bad situation....dogs hate that and will strike back. It is up to you as the owner to know your dog's limits and ensure that any interaction is done properly.

Comes down to accountability.

Reactions: BLEE
Let me ask you something.

Do you think those statistics more accurately represent the breed itself or the typical owners of that breed.

I’ll give you a hint.
Its only my opinion but Id say its a combination.

Id guess the meth heads got it to protect the meth they're dealing so they want it mean, which will sooner or later backfire.

Speaking of ''fire' I hear cooking that shit is very subject to random sparks...like a tracer round going through the trailer. :D

I see people defending its, and I have know very gentle ones, but over all the owners seem to think they have a bad ass. I cant say definitively that its a bad breed but look at the statistics and make your call. Whether from crappy owners or bad breed, they seem to be involved in a large % of mauling's.

As mentioned in a recent post, I have wolf dogs. Id trust Nikita with any child. I saw a group of little girls run up to her and she jsut stopped in her tracks and held absolutely still while they petted her. I know her well and she would never bite a human unless she was being beaten and then only to get away. On the other hand she is incredibly agressive to any other animal that enters what she sees as her territory. Still trying to find a new home for her.

Her daughter, Cloud, is dangerous, however, she will definitely lick you to death in a heart beat.
it's 100 percent owners. pits are a thug dogs. status symbol of the ghetto. and just like a thugs kids will be responsible for more crime, and thugs gun responsible for more shootings. I've seen it first hand people that had no business raising kids much less a dog.

I don't think today's pit bull is the same as 100 years, ago. Most breeds have been selectively modified, intentionally and many dogs are damaged, due to inbreeding.
Not necessarily inbreeding. Almost every breed of dog was created by inbreeding. The problem is bad breeding. People who have no idea what they are doing, just putting two dogs together with no thought as to the the temperament, structure, or drive traits.

Not necessarily inbreeding. Almost every breed of dog was created by inbreeding. The problem is bad breeding. People who have no idea what they are doing, just putting two dogs together with no thought as to the the temperament, structure, or drive traits.
If pits were originally 'nanny dogs' than why are they called 'pit' as in fighting pits or arenas and not nanny dogs?

Those turds were bred for one thing, fighting by the sporting crowd of the day. The weak or timid that didn't have that killer drive were killed, the ones that did and won in the pit were the breeding stock of the future breed.

it's 100 percent owners. pits are a thug dogs. status symbol of the ghetto. and just like a thugs kids will be responsible for more crime, and thugs gun responsible for more shootings. I've seen it first hand people that had no business raising kids much less a dog.
Thats youre opinion, I dont share it, though Ill agree thats a lot of the problem.

Ive seen non thug owners that had dangerous pits...like my neighbors who I showed the pitchfork. Good folks with a dangerous dog.

The guy next door (Felon /all tatted up) has 3 Pitbull's, we had an understanding as soon as he moved in that if his dogs ever got out and onto my property I would kill them, Now if he needs help with a chore or something at his house he will always lock his dogs in the house first.

Its only my opinion but Id say its a combination.

Id guess the meth heads got it to protect the meth they're dealing so they want it mean, which will sooner or later backfire.

Speaking of ''fire' I hear cooking that shit is very subject to random sparks...like a tracer round going through the trailer. :D
From what ive seen the meth heads and inner city hood rat saggers you see being drug around down the street by a pit bull that weighs half again as much as they do are loud mouth cowards that couldnt fight their way out of a soggy paper sack so they get a pit for "protection".
The other common reason is because dog fighting is very popular among those types.
They actually have "training camps" to train the dogs for a match.
The dog fighters will cruise around nieghborhoods and rural areas looking for peoples pets to steal for use in the training.
Ive found dead or nearly dead pits or family type dogs on my property that had been dumped out by the dog fighters once they are done wirh them.
Same with game chickens, but to a lesser degree.
I despise the cowards that fight animals for sport.

If you have to 'raise your dog right' to not drag your infant out of their bed and kill them you might consider another breed.
MANY more kids die because of their parents' stupidity with respect to handling of firearms than killed by pits or other dogs.

Maybe we should ban firearms??? :unsure:

If pits were originally 'nanny dogs' than why are they called 'pit' as in fighting pits or arenas and not nanny dogs?

Those turds were bred for one thing, fighting by the sporting crowd of the day. The weak or timid that didn't have that killer drive were killed, the ones that did and won in the pit were the breeding stock of the future breed.
Because it’s not the breeds actual name…

Reactions: Nik H
Thats youre opinion, I dont share it, though Ill agree thats a lot of the problem.

Ive seen non thug owners that had dangerous pits...like my neighbors who I showed the pitchfork. Good folks with a dangerous dog.

i dont thinkbits any different than a working dog. it takes the right owners. some breeds are more genetically predisposed to aggression. you have to have the right environment and training.

some people like them for that reason they can be mean and scary and intimidating and raise them for that purpose.

they're not like labs or Golden retrievers, I don't think I've ever met a mean one.

Reactions: Maggot and eca7891
It can be both nature and a nurture. Can there be good pits? Sure, but just like a pet heeler might try to herd kids or my GWP was pointing blue birds as a pup, the fight drive has been bred into them. Doesn’t help that half of the people that own them are pieces of shit and either encouraging that aggressive behavior or at least not properly socializing their dog as a pup. I’m more worried about the homeless fuckers that have em to protect their shit. I can’t even take my dog for a walk in the park to troll for chicks, it’s so over run with homeless and their aggressive dogs. Even carrying a .45 and a fixed blade. I’d essentially be using him as bait for a pit hunt.

i dont thinkbits any different than a working dog. it takes the right owners. some breeds are more genetically predisposed to aggression. you have to have the right environment and training.

some people like them for that reason they can be mean and scary and intimidating and raise them for that purpose.

they're not like labs or Golden retrievers, I don't think I've ever met a mean one.
"can be" being the operative phrase. I own these types of dogs because of their loyalty to the family. I have had other breeds as well like labs and dobies. All good animals...there's a reason for it.

I firmly believe that if you do your part, you seldom have a problem.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the inherent fear that people exude. All dogs sense fear from humans. People that are nervous or fearful around dogs are a catalyst being that they make the dog nervous as well

yeah, I will be paying extra special attention now. he's pretty good with animals and I've never actually been there to see it. luckily we don't live near alligators or snakes or sharks. I'm thinking a goose at the local park is next. or a random bird.
Man, geese do not play. Back when I was a high school kid, I thought it'd be funny to run full sprint at a couple of Canadian geese in the park and try to catch one. Did. Not. Go. As. Planned.

Some dogs are mentally unstable. They act on instinct, and they were born that way. Neighbor has two pits, one is like that. They never let it outside the fence, it would definitely attack people. Much of this is just plain hard wired, no amount of training will change it.

I hate these threads, too much emotion on both sides.

Dogs, just like humans or any animal, sometimes attack unprovoked. Sometimes its provoked and you don’t hear about it, it was just a bad dog…..

Man, geese do not play. Back when I was a high school kid, I thought it'd be funny to run full sprint at a couple of Canadian geese in the park and try to catch one. Did. Not. Go. As. Planned.
I had a similar experience at a petting zoo we took my girlfriends kids to. The damn thing wouldnt leave me alone...until I kicked it in the face, then it got the message. The Zoo didnt care for that but I could care less.

Heres my TLDR rant about this...

I am by no means a professional dog trainer, but I have a way of working with dogs. I grew up around breeding bully type dogs, agility contests and dogs shows. I also used to do a ton of volunteer work at the local shelter with more "pitbulls" than I could count. Fostering, the whole bit...

I'd say 90% of the dogs down here in the shelters are some sort of pitbull/pitbull mix. There really isn't a standardized pitbull breed other than the AKC American staffordhsire terriror, and the UKC American pitbull terrior, none of which you will find in the pound. Everything is some sort of backyard mutt. Anything with a blocky head with short hair and medium size build gets labeled as a pitbull mix. Especially when it comes to bad behavior. Unfortunately, the people breeding "pitbulls" generally don't have the dog's best interest at heart or know much about breeding. And that is why so many of them end up at the shelter, or have issues IMO. As much as I personally like these types of dogs, I wish people would stop breeding them, as the dogs end up suffering the most and people/other animals can end up getting hurt.

Believe it or not, after working with so many of these dogs, many abused/neglected, the only dog I have ever been bit by was a neighbor's dalmatian. That SOB took a chunk out of the meaty part of my palm just under my thumb without any sort of warning. I was able to smack the dog in the head pretty good when it happened, just as a reflex, and that was the end of it. Bunch of stitches later, all good aside from some scars.

The problem with "pitbulls", specifically the more gamey ones, is that smack probably wouldn't have stopped the attack. The drive some of them have when they get fired up can be hard to shut down. To deny this drive is just a lie. It's like they don't even feel pain sometimes. I'm not talking about all pitbulls, but definitely some of them. If you have ever tried to break up a fight between two of them, you will know what I'm talking about. Generally need 3 people to do it.. Two holding rear legs and one with a break stick to wedge in their mouth.

I don't think pitbulls are all bad, but many aren't for the average dog owner. I dont find them to be as human aggressive as they are animal aggressive. They can require more structure, socialization, discipline and activity than your average dog owner can usually provide. The same can apply to other breeds like Malinois or many hearding breeds. I have two rescued "pitbulls". One is a complete couch potatoe who is afraid of her own shadow. My male is a different animal all together. We have to work for an hour almost everyday on bite work, basics, off leash comands with distractions, impulse control drills. And if we don't, he ends up being a total pain in my ass. But if you like a fearless, fiercely loyal working dog, it would be hard to beat him.

Even though I trust them, theybare still animals. They don't go into dog parks, they don't hang out with the neighbors kids, they don't go off leash anywhere other people's kids or pets are around, they dont get left alone with my brother in laws 5lbs shitzu when he comes over, ect...

At the end of the day, it is my responsibility to make sure they don't get put in a situation they may react negatively to. The problem is, you can't control other people or their animals. If someone's dog starts a fight, it won't end well. If a kid picks up a stick and corners my dog, it may not end well. They are very strong capable dogs. When things go bad, they can go real bad. Its better to just avoid those situations, but have the training in place so that if/when they do happen, they are without incident.

IMO, that's expecting a lot of your average dog owner who thinks the dog is just another harmless family member and should be treated like a person.

Heres my TLDR rant about this...

I am by no means a professional dog trainer, but I have a way of working with dogs. I grew up around breeding bully type dogs, agility contests and dogs shows. I also used to do a ton of volunteer work at the local shelter with more "pitbulls" than I could count. Fostering, the whole bit...

I'd say 90% of the dogs down here in the shelters are some sort of pitbull/pitbull mix. There really isn't a standardized pitbull breed other than the AKC American staffordhsire terriror, and the UKC American pitbull terrior, none of which you will find in the pound. Everything is some sort of backyard mutt. Anything with a blocky head with short hair and medium size build gets labeled as a pitbull mix. Especially when it comes to bad behavior. Unfortunately, the people breeding "pitbulls" generally don't have the dog's best interest at heart or know much about breeding. And that is why so many of them end up at the shelter, or have issues IMO. As much as I personally like these types of dogs, I wish people would stop breeding them, as the dogs end up suffering the most and people/other animals can end up getting hurt.

Believe it or not, after working with so many of these dogs, many abused/neglected, the only dog I have ever been bit by was a neighbor's dalmatian. That SOB took a chunk out of the meaty part of my palm just under my thumb without any sort of warning. I was able to smack the dog in the head pretty good when it happened, just as a reflex, and that was the end of it. Bunch of stitches later, all good aside from some scars.

The problem with "pitbulls", specifically the more gamey ones, is that smack probably wouldn't have stopped the attack. The drive some of them have when they get fired up can be hard to shut down. To deny this drive is just a lie. It's like they don't even feel pain sometimes. I'm not talking about all pitbulls, but definitely some of them. If you have ever tried to break up a fight between two of them, you will know what I'm talking about. Generally need 3 people to do it.. Two holding rear legs and one with a break stick to wedge in their mouth.

I don't think pitbulls are all bad, but many aren't for the average dog owner. I dont find them to be as human aggressive as they are animal aggressive. They can require more structure, socialization, discipline and activity than your average dog owner can usually provide. The same can apply to other breeds like Malinois or many hearding breeds. I have two rescued "pitbulls". One is a complete couch potatoe who is afraid of her own shadow. My male is a different animal all together. We have to work for an hour almost everyday on bite work, basics, off leash comands with distractions, impulse control drills. And if we don't, he ends up being a total pain in my ass. But if you like a fearless, fiercely loyal working dog, it would be hard to beat him.

Even though I trust them, theybare still animals. They don't go into dog parks, they don't hang out with the neighbors kids, they don't go off leash anywhere other people's kids or pets are around, they dont get left alone with my brother in laws 5lbs shitzu when he comes over, ect...

At the end of the day, it is my responsibility to make sure they don't get put in a situation they may react negatively to. The problem is, you can't control other people or their animals. If someone's dog starts a fight, it won't end well. If a kid picks up a stick and corners my dog, it may not end well. They are very strong capable dogs. When things go bad, they can go real bad. Its better to just avoid those situations, but have the training in place so that if/when they do happen, they are without incident.

IMO, that's expecting a lot of your average dog owner who thinks the dog is just another harmless family member and should be treated like a person.
Well said

I would watch any strong dog, pits like mine, German Shepherds, Rots, Dobies in the same way. That is what I meant by accountability.

You are absolutely right when you say that once the fight starts, it would be very difficult to shut it down. Thinking you can use a club, shovel or whatever to ward a dog like that off is hilarious. My pit Maple is 3 years old and 65 pounds of muscle. She can run and jump at a moments notice. She isn't going to stand still why you try to use whatever implement to hurt her. That is a lot of speed and kinetic energy. I wouldn't risk it. Avoiding situations like that is the way to go.

A good friend of mine has an Akita that weighs 135 pounds...that is a breed of dog that I worry about. He would be impossible to shut down.

If you ever do get stuck in a bad situation with a dog on you and you can't get them off, my best advice is to try grab the colar on the side or top of the neck with a free hand and get a good twist on it...dog will go unconscious in 20-30 seconds and give you time to get away or hang on and finish the job.

Just know, when the dog wakes back up, you better be prepared to deal with it. As the dog will likely be confused and looking to grab onto anything it can find.

If you ever do get stuck in a bad situation with a dog on you and you can't get them off, my best advice is to try grab the colar on the side or top of the neck with a free hand and get a good twist on it...dog will go unconscious in 20-30 seconds and give you time to get away or hang on and finish the job.

Just know, when the dog wakes back up, you better be prepared to deal with it. As the dog will likely be confused and looking to grab onto anything it can find.

Well said

I would watch any strong dog, pits like mine, German Shepherds, Rots, Dobies in the same way. That is what I meant by accountability.

You are absolutely right when you say that once the fight starts, it would be very difficult to shut it down. Thinking you can use a club, shovel or whatever to ward a dog like that off is hilarious. My pit Maple is 3 years old and 65 pounds of muscle. She can run and jump at a moments notice. She isn't going to stand still why you try to use whatever implement to hurt her. That is a lot of speed and kinetic energy. I wouldn't risk it. Avoiding situations like that is the way to go.

A good friend of mine has an Akita that weighs 135 pounds...that is a breed of dog that I worry about. He would be impossible to shut down.
Thats why I kept one of these handy. Only thing better is a gun.

rusty-pitchfork-leaning-against-shed-picture-id72084235

I learned how to walk by hanging on the collar of our German Shepard female. Then it was sleeping with and riding her. She took more crap off me but was a patient, guardian canine mother.

I would not allow my kid around much less leave him alone with a pit, I don't care what the Walmart crowd says.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/8541944/girl-killed-savaged-dog-mauled-dead-tribute/
I think that norovirus got caught in your brain, and gave you diarrhea of the mouth. Did you get tested yet? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

iu

Above pictured Norovirus ass swab

Should I just assume you are scared of everything the news tells you to be?

69vsz9.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: eca7891

Show me a source of unbiased statics.... Last I heard the lab was the number 1 biter of people. Of course if you don't like pitbulls, any BBD is pitbull to you. If you are trying to ban pitbulls you are going to influence the reporting. A lot of places list any bite by a big black dog as a pitbull.

That said the bully breeds have a different mentality than a lot of other dogs, and they do have the potential to kill someone, although I have picked up a handful of them running free and retuned them to their owner.

I was leaving the high school one day, and there was female officer with a german shepherd on a lead trying to pull away from her. She needed to release the tension and get it moving and she would have been cool. Instead she grabs here mace, and yells "don't do it!" And sprays him right in the face. He starts choking and pulling and she says something like, "You better stop or I'll do it again," and starts spraying again.

I am about to try to help, but this time the wind blows the pepper spray into her face and across entryway into my face too. She starts choking the dog starts chocking and fighting harder. She yells "STOP!" and goes to the pepper spray again, on constant now. I am already moving quickly down the side walk. The dog catcher, an old man, with bad wig has finally finished lifting like a 70 pound pitbull into his pickup. Picked it up like a baby while it tried to lick his face. He looks up and yells, are pepper spraying that dog? The dig pulls away, and runs through the parking lot out into the open sand hill prairie behind the school.

A dog can be a dangerous animal not because of the owner, but because of the person it approaches. A dog is dangerous animal. Responsible dog owners makes sure their dogs don't get out. Most places hold the owners legally responsible as well.

I have a friend in El Paso who shot a dog that came after him and his son a month or two ago while they were walking. He thought it was going to a lot bigger deal than it was. He tells me, "I thought they would take the gun, they didn't even ask to see my CCP."

I sure like pepper spray better than plugging Fido. Although the only time I tried to use mine on some kind of koon hound that came after us, the can was too old and didn't work. He ran over and blocked our path barking growling squared us off for probably 5 minutes before a car came and blocked us from the dog while we started down the street again. It left us alone then.

I'm sure you're a formidable opponent
Im far from a badass, if thats what youre implying. I have done hard physical labor most of my life and know how to use what I have., and I know what a longhandled very sharp object can do to flesh. Its really no contest unless its something the size of a lion. Even then the Masai warriors killed lion with just a spear...gotta know ho to use it.

Im far from a badass, if thats what youre implying. I have done hard physical labor most of my life and know how to use what I have., and I know what a longhandled very sharp object can do to flesh. Its really no contest unless its something the size of a lion. Even then the Masai warriors killed lion with just a spear...gotta know ho to use it.
I think the point is if you miss that first jab or fail to get something very vital you are fuxored.

🤷‍♂️

especially if there are two of them
This...

I honestly don't worry much about a single dog as I can usually read their body language and demeanor and get a good feel for them.

Once you get two, three or four of them together, that's when things can go south quickly. Especially when it's a bunch of strays out loose roaming together. Like a bunch of teenage kids egging eachother on to do bad shit when there's no supervision. Often times, starting off as playing, then escalating into full blown mayhem.

Edit: If a couple of them can catch and hold down a 200+ lbs hog with razor sharp cutters, you better be a tough SOB if you don't have a gun.

Last edited:

I think that norovirus got caught in your brain, and gave you diarrhea of the mouth. Did you get tested yet? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

iu

Above pictured Norovirus ass swab

Should I just assume you are scared of everything the news tells you to be?

69vsz9.jpg
Only thing I got tested for were STDs after assrailing your mother. You should get tested as well.

My buddy has 2. Keeps saying how they're the nicest dogs and get bad press. I always keep an eye on them.

I built a pool awhile back for a woman, tough ranch woman that was into horses, dogs and guns. She rescued a pit puppy and put her in with the rest of her dogs. It was a cute puppy, what 3 month old puppy isn't, but it played rougher than the other older dogs, had to dominate when they were roughhousing and was basically a PITA. One day it latched onto the ear of a pet goat and the more the goat screamed the harder the puppy shook. It took all of us to pry it's jaws loose which were still puppy teeth.

The lady went inside, came back out with her Glock 40 and ka-plow. She said wasn't going to put up with that, that it was only a matter of time before she killed another dog or attacked a horse. I didn't blame her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
i personally wouldn't want a dog i could not trust around people, kids and other dogs. different strokes...

I got 140 stitches on my head and cheek from my uncle's Irish setter quail dog when I was 6. I was a mean little bastard and I am sure I aggravated the shit out of him or thumped him in the balls. Doesn't add much to the thread but anyway there it is...
When I wanted to play with my boxer, I'd pinch the snot out of him and it was on. When he wanted to play, he'd pinch my toes with his front teath. He started it! Lol Man, I miss that dog!

Neither do 98% of dog owners. Point is any dog can be aggressive and it is breed agnostic.
i have known maybe a dozen bull terrier type dogs and all of them were sweet, but i am not taking sides on the breed of peace arguments.

especially if there are two of them
That makes it more interesting but they will be coming in face/neck first, likely with mouth open. A good hard poke in the open mouth should penetrate to the brain, or hit the eyes and neck., it will certainly slow him down to give you time to poke the other one. Then a couple mere quick jabs to reinforce his mistakes.

That makes it more interesting but they will be coming in face/neck first, likely with mouth open. A good hard poke in the open mouth should penetrate to the brain, or hit the eyes and neck., it will certainly slow him down to give you time to poke the other one. Then a couple mere quick jabs to reinforce his mistakes.
I think that situation would be more serious than you realize. I ran hounds for years and have had several other working breeds. I know you have wolf-dogs, but my exp with dogs killing stuff for me tells me that's a bad day.