• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This this vintage caliper set acceptable for measuring case dimensions?

idkwhativebeentold

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
Lakeland, FL
What do you all think of this old Mitutoyo dial set? My grandfather used this for a long time in automotive, and I'm trying to save where I can as I have dropped several thousand dollars in reloading equipment already.

20210209_180826.jpg

I do not see why it would not work, it goes to the thousandths so it should be fine, be careful with it!

It sure is beautiful, and I'm proud to have been bestowed with all of his tools. I also have this Central Tool Co. gauge set, I was thinking I can check neck wall thickness but they aren't the ball type, what do you think?

20210209_184754.jpg

Those OD mics will do fine for measuring neck diameter, case head diameter, bullet length, etc. You could use the 2-3" to measure case lengths.

I used dial calipers at first left over from my machine shop days. . Had a nice set of mititoya 0-6. Dropped them on the floor one day. Broke. Bough a set of digital calipers, the nice thing about digital is when using the caparator you can set the 0 to the face of the insert. Becareful with them.

I use some old mitutoyo dial calipers my grandfather had too, but they aren’t in as fancy of a case. They do have a certification sheet in Japanese though. They seem to work just fine for reloading

One key to making sure these dial calipers stay accurate is ALWAYS keep them closed. They work on a rack and pinion gear, and if you get any little bit of crap in the teeth the dial will jump. That's experience from a lifetime of working around mills, lathes, and grinders.

Reactions: lariat
As long as the needle sweeps the dial for the entire range of the slide without skipping or jumping, it will be accurate to at be +/-.002”, like every other caliper out there.
Nice find.

I used dial calipers at first left over from my machine shop days...………………. the nice thing about digital is when using the caparator you can set the 0 to the face of the insert.
You can do exactly the same thing with dial indicator calipers. That's what the bezel knob is for.

You worked in a machine shop and you don't know that?.

Reactions: ...
I dropped a cheap dial set I had and ruined them. I never used a dial set you couldn't rezero. My dad uses a vernier scale set that is probably older than those. You have to use your thinker reading them.

Last edited:
That is an awesome set of old Mitutoyo calipers. I use both dial and digital Mitutoyo's. Nothing that old, but I still prefer the dial. To me, a dial is easier to see small movements when making sure you have what your measuring flush against the jaws. Use them with pride!

You can do exactly the same thing with dial indicator calipers. That's what the bezel knob is for.

Yes I do. You still have the 1 or 2 inches to subtract. I find just hitting the zero button easier , quicker.

I like those .200 per rotation calipers. There was a reason for them....
Use with pride. I kept most of my tools when I switched fields, and have since gotten most of my dads tools when he was a tool maker.
Good stuff...

I buy the older Mitys for my shop when I can because they are such higher quality tools. One thing, just to be sure I would take them somewhere like a machine shop that has a set of standards to ensure they are still calibrated. I wouldn’t send them off for the service, but look around for someone to verify that they are measuring true. One of the worst things is to trust a tool that is lying to you.

Or just get a gauge block close to the size(s) you will be measuring. They're not very expensive, and you can do a calibration check every time you use it.

I like those .200 per rotation calipers. There was a reason for them....
Use with pride. I kept most of my tools when I switched fields, and have since gotten most of my dads tools when he was a tool maker.
Good stuff...
Yea I have interapid indicators, surface gauges, full set of Starrett mics, bunch of other crap just sitting in the basement. I still get a wiff of coolant off the old tool box makes me want to vomit.

What do you all think of this old Mitutoyo dial set? My grandfather used this for a long time in automotive, and I'm trying to save where I can as I have dropped several thousand dollars in reloading equipment already.

View attachment 7551612
Hell yeah! Great calipers. I'm torn on Mitutoyo or Starrett for my bougie set for reloading.

Screenshot_20210211-084159_WhatsApp.jpg

Hell yeah! Great calipers. I'm torn on Mitutoyo or Starrett for my bougie set for reloading.

View attachment 7552978
If you're going to go nice go with the mitutoyo 500 series calipers. Available 0-6, 0-8, and 0-12.
500-752-10.jpg

Personally have 0-6 and 0-12. Will do American and metric at the push of a button. They also don't forget where they are along the slide. Also safe to store with your guns down to 3' of water.

Reactions: clcustom1911

View attachment 7551612
Use the shit out of them. I’m using my dad’s old Mit from when he went to A&P before I was born.

If you guys like measuring tools check out this site I can read this shit for hours.

I used dial calipers at first left over from my machine shop days. . Had a nice set of mititoya 0-6. Dropped them on the floor one day. Broke. Bough a set of digital calipers, the nice thing about digital is when using the caparator you can set the 0 to the face of the insert. Becareful with them.

You can zero out a dial too, C'mon man!

View attachment 7551612
I run both analogue and digital measuring gear, The best part of traditional vernier and dial calipers and micrometers is that there are NO batteries to go flat in accordance with Murphy's law.

As for "dropping" stuff: big oil-resistant rubber mats on the floor at benches and machines will save not only your expensive measuring toys but work-pieces and cutting tools as well as your feet. Standing on a concrete floor for extended time is not nice.

Last edited:
As soon as you drop a precision measuring instrument, it's not longer a precision measuring instrument. Throw it out and buy a new one, and be more careful with the next one.

• Haha
Reactions: LeftyJason

View attachment 7551612
Have multiple Mitys identical to yours and they perform perfectly. It is a precision instrument. It is not a hammer or pry bar. Take care of it. Treat it with care. It will serve you well.

Wait, you guys are using dials? I've just been using this. I'm out to 85 rods now.

View attachment 7552828
Early in my career. made a lot of money using Post VersaLogs like those........ :) :) :) My son, born in the days of electronics, liked to pull my chain asking, "And, what are those white sticks for?" I used to tell him, "They are for thumping smart ass kids!!!! Need a demo????" My first electronic engineering calculator was a Rockwell 63, as I recall. Paid a ton for it, and it did fewer functions than today's freebie calcs. :) :)

As soon as you drop a precision measuring instrument, it's not longer a precision measuring instrument. Throw it out and buy a new one, and be more careful with the next one.
Not always true. Many times they can be repaired for cheaper than a replacement. Unless you are using sub-par equipment to begin with.

But always re-qual if dropped to determine effect.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Not always true. Many times they can be repaired for cheaper than a replacement. Unless you are using sub-par equipment to begin with.

But always re-qual if dropped to determine effect.
Stupidity should hurt. Whether it's physically, or monetarily.

Not when the gage you're using is over $900. Or when the gage has no moving parts. Or when you have a gage lab and all of the gages are serialized and almost everything is calibrated in house.

Not when the gage you're using is over $900. Or when the gage has no moving parts. Or when you have a gage lab and all of the gages are serialized and almost everything is calibrated in house.
This. And the Average reloader should have a set of standards for this eventuality anyway. It will happen, even to the most careful users.

I recently bought a new pair of calipers from a reloading company due to an emergency. When I tested them they were off past 0.543” the rest of the way by 5 thou. Trust nothing. Verify everything. Especially when it involves controlled explosions around your face.

Precision tools require precision calibration and certification to be deemed accurate. Any old set of calipers or mic's that have not been professionally calibrated and certificated cannot be trusted for accuracy. They might be close but not dead nuts accurate. When working with stuff that goes "boom" you want to be accurate. Mitutoyo makes superb, extremely accurate, precision tools that come out of the box with an accuracy certificate, but they will all need to be periodically re-calibrated to certify accuracy. Once a year is a general requirement in engineering.

Reactions: DustBun and lariat
Precision tools require precision calibration and certification to be deemed accurate. Any old set of calipers or mic's that have not been professionally calibrated and certificated cannot be trusted for accuracy. They might be close but not dead nuts accurate. When working with stuff that goes "boom" you want to be accurate. Mitutoyo makes superb, extremely accurate, precision tools that come out of the box with an accuracy certificate, but they will all need to be periodically re-calibrated to certify accuracy. Once a year is a general requirement in engineering.
If you’re working with a caliper, you’re only ever worried about being +/-.002” accurate anyway.

Are they any good? Hell yeah they are! They retain value too IIRC.

I thought it was funny, I clicked on this and I'll be damned if I don't use the same thing. Hard to tell whose is older. I got 'em old and well used in a pawn shop nearly thirty years ago. They've gotta be seventy years old, post WW2 stuff.

I have some shitty Frankford Arsenal ones I got some time back, cheap. They don't hold a candle to these. I dedicated those to Hornady gauges and I suppose they're good enough for that.

You can even insert the pin and make that new zero 12:00.

Do you have the little brass shim that comes with it? Or "pin" as he calls it? If not, maybe contact them for one or I can probably trace mine and mic the thickness and you could cut one from a feeler gauge. Anyway, that shim is what you use to slip the gears so you can calibrate it to zero when closed AND do that with the dial straight and not crooked. The thumbscrew is fine for little adjustments, etc., but you wanna be able to zero it properly too.

When you clean 'em, make sure to keep lint, dirt and shit out of the gears, also don't use a thick oil, it needs to be a super thin coat of a super thin oil, almost nothing at all. Just "clean" is best --there's a reason they came in that case and IMO/E that's the only part that should look well used on these. They stay in there and only come out when needed. If they were taken care of, you won't be able to tell how old they are other than "dated". Your Gramps obviously used the piss out of 'em, but obviously took great care of 'em too.

Reactions: 308pirate
Man, I miss my old circular slide rule. :(

Now as far as accuracy, most reloaders work in differences.
Precision and repeatability matters.
Many measures rely on instrument accuracy, and HUMAN FACTORS.

This neck diameter is different from this other neck diameter.
Or bump 0.002" from chamber measurement..
I trim my .223 cases to 1.760". I could be a few thousandths off (probably not).
Sameness is golden.
Relative Neck diameter before seating and after tells me a lot.
But if all are the SAME if probably don't matter none.
Sameness is golden.
A couple of check standards in your reloading lab would probably help.
Weight, length, diameter check standards NEAR your target values.