• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thompson performance center LRR 6.5 creedmoor- trigger issue

Mine went back once, came back with the same issue plus scratches (was shipped back loose in the box). They want me to send it back again but I don't think it will do any good.

Took my LRR out today, and noticed something about when the trigger locks up. Instead of fighting the trigger or completely cycling the bolt, I would bring the bolt handle up and back just slightly, not enough to eject the round but once I reset the bolt in the home position the trigger was no longer locked up. This doesn’t resolve the issue but it does give you a small remedial action you can take to get back in the game without ejecting the round. It’s almost like the bolt has something to do with the trigger locking up.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Reactions: Scott.Barrett
Took my LRR out today, and noticed something about when the trigger locks up. Instead of fighting the trigger or completely cycling the bolt, I would bring the bolt handle up and back just slightly, not enough to eject the round but once I reset the bolt in the home position the trigger was no longer locked up. This doesn’t resolve the issue but it does give you a small remedial action you can take to get back in the game without ejecting the round. It’s almost like the bolt has something to do with the trigger locking up.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
I have the same. Just slightly lift the bolt up and you car and feel the firing pip reset. Your write not a fix just a bandage. On another post some one mentioned the build together by SW and TC. There probably write. Neither want to assume responsible.

FWIW one of the people on this thread sent his back in a 2nd or 3rd time and told them to keep it...they refunded him all his money for full purchase including tax and DROS.....Also had gotten it back with scratches

Reactions: CharlieSiva
FWIW one of the people on this thread sent his back in a 2nd or 3rd time and told them to keep it...they refunded him all his money for full purchase including tax and DROS.....Also had
FWIW one of the people on this thread sent his back in a 2nd or 3rd time and told them to keep it...they refunded him all his money for full purchase including tax and DROS.....Also had gotten it back with scratches
Has anyone heard of anyone getting the LRR back with a better or good trigger

I’ve shot over 2000 rounds in my LRR since last summer and haven’t had any issues with the trigger. What exact does it do and what caliber are you all using?

I picked the LRR up to get started in precision shooting and loaded up on the accessories for when I build one. 38144855-1615-4B48-BBF0-30DF173C123C.jpeg

Last edited:
I purchased an LRR 308 in January of this year. I live in New England so I had to wait a bit to get to the range. I had the rifle bore sighted at the point of purchase. I made it to the range and attempted to chamber a round from the metal magazine that came with the rifle. The bolt was binding on the mag but I got the round in. The recoil flipped the barrel up about a foot and to the left. The round missed the target completely. I fired about 10 rounds and could barely get on the target. I chalked it up to a bad day and returned to the range on the weekend. I had similar results at the range but now I noticed that the trigger safety was binding badly on some shots. I picked up some Magpul magazines and they would not even stay in place. I called S&W and their only comment was to return the rifle and wait 5 to 6 weeks for them to diagnose the problems. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and he said there was nothing he could do short of replacing components and suggested I dump the rifle. I sold it last week and ordered one from Masterpiece Arms.. The LRR was a bad mistake.

Last edited:
I purchased an LRR 308 in January of this year. I live in New England so I had to wait a bit to get to the range. I had the rifle bore sighted at the point of purchase. I made it to the range and attempted to chamber a round from the metal magazine that came with the rifle. The bolt was binding on the mag but I got the round in. The recoil flipped the barrel up about a foot and to the left. The round missed the target completely. I fired about 10 rounds and could barely get on the target. I chalked it up to a bad day and returned to the range on the weekend. I had similar results at the range but now I noticed that the trigger safety was binding badly on some shots. I picked up some Magpul magazines and they would not even stay in place. I called S&W and their only comment was to return the rifle and wait 5 to 6 weeks for them to diagnose the problems. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and he said there was nothing he could do short of replacing components and suggested I dump the rifle. I sold it last week and ordered one from Masterpiece Arms.. The LRR was a bad mistake.
You’ll like your MPA

Reactions: Rbfrat
I had no issues at all, 🤷🏻‍♂️. Not sure how the barrel jumps like that unless the brake was facing the wrong way. Maybe user error combined with parts not installed properly from the factory. I stripped mine down the first day and cleaned it and made sure everything was torqued to my liking before I shot a single round. I do that with every rifle tho.

It was not “user error”. I had a Savage that I purchased for $400.00 that routinely shot 1.5 inch groups with the same scope at 100 yards. I’m glad you had good luck with your LRR but mine was clearly substandard. S&W was aware of several problems that plagued the rifle but offered no solutions aside from replacing the barrel and having one of their “top” gunsmiths reassemble the trigger mechanism. IBased on the comments on here, I did not want to wait 5-6 weeks only to have the rifle returned with the same problems.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to wait but I’ve only had the barrel jump when my brake loosened up and turned. Kind of a odd thing for a small rifle to do. I plan to just upgrade the trigger later this year to move away from the safety style and to slowly stack more parts for the next build and get use to a different trigger style. I plan to compete soon as well with it just to see how it stands up to others.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to wait but I’ve only had the barrel jump when my brake loosened up and turned. Kind of a odd thing for a small rifle to do. I plan to just upgrade the trigger later this year to move away from the safety style and to slowly stack more parts for the next build and get use to a different trigger style. I plan to compete soon as well with it just to see how it stands up to others.
Where have you found a trigger. I’ve talked to a couple gunsmiths and was told. No aftermarket triggers out there.

I bought one for my son a few weeks ago and after about 100 rounds, no issues yet. His is a 6.5 Creedmoor and we have not adjusted anything on the trigger in terms of weight. I would like to go to an aftermarket trigger if any are available.

Where have you found a trigger. I’ve talked to a couple gunsmiths and was told. No aftermarket triggers out there.
It has the same footprint as the Remington 700s I was told by TC customer service. I called looking for torque specs for the pic rail which had come loose and asked a couple questions. I plan to pick up a Diamond trigger tech trigger in a couple weeks so I’ll let you know if it works.

It has the same footprint as the Remington 700s I was told by TC customer service. I called looking for torque specs for the pic rail which had come loose and asked a couple questions. I plan to pick up a Diamond trigger tech trigger in a couple weeks so I’ll let you know if it works.
The CS person I just talked to had no idea about torque specs or if the trigger has a REM 700 footprint. I need to get in there and take a look at it as I just install the TriggerTech Diamond Pro in my Bergara B14 and it is just under a pound and breaks like a candy cane. I don’t think the LRR has a REM 700 footprint, but I will check. Their Customer Service is terrible with very little knowledge and will only allow send in for parts replacement.

Last edited:
The CS person I just talked to had no idea about torque specs or if the trigger has a REM 700 footprint. I need to get in there and take a look at it as I just install the TriggerTech Diamond Pro in my Savage Elite Precision and it is just under a pound and breaks like a candy cane.
The guy I talked too didn’t have any knowledge of torque specs either. Hopefully he’s right about the trigger because I’d like to use it if I buy it. Let me know if yours works or not if you can. I wasn’t very happy with the customer support not having torque specs which honestly pissed me off.

Yes please do. I sent mine back. So if it isn’t write when I get it back. (4-6)weeks . I’ll replace with different trigger

Yes please do. I sent mine back. So if it isn’t write when I get it back. (4-6)weeks . I’ll replace with different trigger
I just ordered it from OP so I’ll let you know as soon as it gets here.

I had the same issue with trigger on a 6.5cm binding 30 rounds into the range session. Pull the trigger, nothing, pull harder it fires. Pull the safety blade in and it fires. Load a round and close the bolt with authority and the trigger was fine, until that no longer worked.

After the session I call TC on my way home and they sent me a return label immediately. I was also told the return label was good indefinitely.

After reading on the issue, which lead to me joining this forum, I checked the trigger pull weight adjustment screw. After breaking through the sealant they put over the hole I found it turned to the lightest setting and it was tight on the stop. It took more effort then I though it would to loosen it. Almost like it was “torqued”.

I loosened it up and and tested the trigger pull. It’s at about 3 pounds. Since then I have shot well over 100 rounds with no issue.

The rifle shoots well. I’m not all that picky about trigger weight, so 3 pounds is fine for me. At less than 700 new, for the moment, it’s a keeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonPaul
Well I tried the Trigger tech Diamond and it sits slightly too high in the action so there goes that idea. I see how it jams tho, if you bump just the trigger backwards a little bit something shifts and locks it up unless the trigger safety is depressed all the way. I managed to get the trigger pull under a pound tho. I was thinking about pulling it apart but not sure I want that headache.

Attachments

• FEBDAE74-757D-4FAA-B9ED-C31F7C277DB4.jpeg
    FEBDAE74-757D-4FAA-B9ED-C31F7C277DB4.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Sleddog30
Well I tried the Trigger tech Diamond and it sits slightly too high in the action so there goes that idea. I see how it jams tho, if you bump just the trigger backwards a little bit something shifts and locks it up unless the trigger safety is depressed all the way. I managed to get the trigger pull under a pound tho. I was thinking about pulling it apart but not sure I want that headache.
I sure hope either S/W or TC take care of the problem. You would think that if ya spent 1000 plus $ for a rifle the trigger would work. I wonder how many of these rifles were made. And how many had trigger issues. What’s the ratio.

Reactions: JasonPaul
I sure hope either S/W or TC take care of the problem. You would think that if ya spent 1000 plus $ for a rifle the trigger would work. I wonder how many of these rifles were made. And how many had trigger issues. What’s the ratio.
I wonder the same, it shouldn’t be that hard to fix and honestly if another trigger worked I wouldn’t care. Companies should just make things to work with aftermarket parts.

I wonder the same, it shouldn’t be that hard to fix and honestly if another trigger worked I wouldn’t care. Companies should just make things to work with aftermarket parts.
Ya one would only think so.
The other big issue is if no one steps up to fix the trigger and ya can’t get an after market one. What do you do with the gun. Ya can’t sell it honestly to anyone. With out telling them the problem.

Ya one would only think so.
The other big issue is if no one steps up to fix the trigger and ya can’t get an after market one. What do you do with the gun. Ya can’t sell it honestly to anyone. With out telling them the problem.
Yup, that’s def not a good way for a company to look either. If they don’t fix it maybe they can just replace it with a different model trigger. I don’t give a shit about the added safety blade which seems to be the issue to begin with.

Reactions: Sleddog30
So who’s going to take care of the trigger issues. T/C or SMith and Wesson?
I am guessing the new owner, if there is one. That is probably why S&W doesn't seem very interested in fixing the problem.

Yup, that’s def not a good way for a company to look either. If they don’t fix it maybe they can just replace it with a different model trigger. I don’t give a shit about the added safety blade which seems to be the issue to begin with.
Roger on that

Roger on that
I called to check on my 308 and was told why were sending it back to my gun smith with a conformation report. Stating it’s been test fired and in great shape. We’ll see if it’s fixed. Got to stay positive and believe they corrected it and did the write thing.

I called to check on my 308 and was told why were sending it back to my gun smith with a conformation report. Stating it’s been test fired and in great shape. We’ll see if it’s fixed. Got to stay positive and believe they corrected it and did the write thing.
Let me know if they actually fixed it

Will do. Be interested in what the written report on what they found was. It goes back to my gun smith. He’ll do the once over.
Did you get it back yet? I really want to hear what they did.

haven’t heard from my G smith yet. He has graduation to go to. Should find out later this week. I’ll keep ya posted
Talked with my g smith. And he hard racked it roughly 30 times and works ok. He only sent in the trigger bolt assembly not the whole gun. But he says it’s still a real piece
of shit trigger. But this smith builds high end PRS rifles. My buddy was a alternate for US Olympics team a few years ago. So I’m sure for me it will be just fine. Not that caliber of a shooter.

Talked with my g smith. And he hard racked it roughly 30 times and works ok. He only sent in the trigger bolt assembly not the whole gun. But he says it’s still a real piece
of shit trigger. But this smith builds high end PRS rifles. My buddy was a alternate for US Olympics team a few years ago. So I’m sure for me it will be just fine. Not that caliber of a shooter.

Yeah I can see how it has issues after fiddling with it and trying to adjust it. I just wish you could swap it out. Idk wtf they were thinking designing it the way they did. I’m probably going to build a new rifle this summer anyway since I’m close to the end of the factory barrel life already. I’ve been looking at picking up a WOOX chassis and with a BAT HR action. After I build the new rifle I’ll sell this one. Its a shame tho since I have this rifle shooting 1/4” groups at 100 yards with ease and 1/2” groups at 250 which is pretty good considering what it is. I haven’t had many trigger issues out of the box but after I lowered the pull weight it’s happening a lot now.

Hey everyone - New to the forum and have read a few of your posts regarding the lrr trigger issues. I will jump on board as a frustrated owner of a TC lrr 243. Had for a couple of months , 200 + rounds (all factory) and trigger locked or stuck. Has happened several times . Just got it back from a very good gunsmith in Las Vegas and he said I was out of luck. Nothing was bent , broke or loose. Just poor quality parts. I would think TC knows of this issue and would take steps to fix this. Recall ?

Hey everyone - New to the forum and have read a few of your posts regarding the lrr trigger issues. I will jump on board as a frustrated owner of a TC lrr 243. Had for a couple of months , 200 + rounds (all factory) and trigger locked or stuck. Has happened several times . Just got it back from a very good gunsmith in Las Vegas and he said I was out of luck. Nothing was bent , broke or loose. Just poor quality parts. I would think TC knows of this issue and would take steps to fix this. Recall ?
Or class action?

They are pretending nothings wrong with it so I highly doubt anything will happen unless someone opens a lawsuit. I’m bringing to an engineer friend to take a look at to see if there’s anything he can do to make it better next week. I brought it out to a local match since I don’t have all the components for my new rifle build (half comp, half hunt) and of course it locked up a dozen times which drove me insane.

I just sent TC a detailed email explaining the problems Im having with my rifle and even mentioned the forum.
Hopefully I hear something back and if I do I will share. Does anyone know their factory warranty policy ?
I purchased mine Jan 14th of this year.

I just sent TC a detailed email explaining the problems Im having with my rifle and even mentioned the forum.
Hopefully I hear something back and if I do I will share. Does anyone know their factory warranty policy ?
I purchased mine Jan 14th of this year.
They’ll just tell you to send it in, literally a useless group of people over there unfortunately.

I got mine back like said in a earlier post. Mine is still working fine. The gun smith did polish up the trigger. But said DON’T F with the adjustment on the F en trigger. It works but’s still a very poor designed crappy trigger.

I got mine back like said in a earlier post. Mine is still working fine. The gun smith did polish up the trigger. But said DON’T F with the adjustment on the F en trigger. It works but’s still a very poor designed crappy trigger.
If they just made it so you could replace it with a clone trigger it wouldn’t be a issue at all. Idk why manufactures don’t use a certain standard so people can upgrade at will.

Reactions: buggz
Hey guys ,
Just posting something that many of us already know. TC cust service sucks. I sent in the required info so I could get my return label and they said 3-5 days. 14 days and still waiting. Meanwhile still going to the range. Trying something that has helped , but trigger still sticking just not as much. With mag in , slam bolt forward and down should fire , but doesn't . Lift bolt up , then back down ... fires most of the time. Still not happy , but better than before.

Hey guys ,
Just posting something that many of us already know. TC cust service sucks. I sent in the required info so I could get my return label and they said 3-5 days. 14 days and still waiting. Meanwhile still going to the range. Trying something that has helped , but trigger still sticking just not as much. With mag in , slam bolt forward and down should fire , but doesn't . Lift bolt up , then back down ... fires most of the time. Still not happy , but better than before.
Ugh. That sucks and so does TC support. I don’t have the issue with the bolt closing, instead mine locks up if you touch the trigger before you get the safety blade all the way in. I’m thinking about removing that blade all together and trying it if it’s even possible. I’ve been shooting a different rifle the past month or so (a friends 6 dasher) so thankfully I haven’t had to deal with the issues. Once I get my barrels from Hart 6.5mm and Bartlein 6mm and Curtis sends me my valor action for the Woox build I’ll probably never touch the TC again. I might use the chassis for another build tho but I shot the barrel out and the trigger feels like shit compared to a trigger tech diamond.

Hey guys ,
I sent mine in and the gunsmith got it back in 3-4 weeks. Appears to work ok after he messed with it. But still a crappy trigger. Does anyone out there now if you can get a new trigger that will bolt in. The gun shoots really close groups. And looks nice. It’s a shame such a nice looking gun was made with such a shitty trigger.