• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thought I'd Show My Long Range Rigs

SigsauerP229

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2011
N. NV
I haven't done much of an introduction of myself so I figured what better way then to do so by showing my long range toys and how I ended up going this route.

I've always been interested in long range but never really had the time. Mostly I've done pistols and irons sight rifle comps several years back.

I had a Rem 700 Sendero .300 WM built years back but it was lacking several features as I was new to long range and this was before the internet had so much info readily available, so basically I went off of what my dealer said not knowing any better. I sold that rifle years ago but decided this last year that I wanted to get back into it.

Starting as cheap as I could with the best I could, I got a Rem 5r Milspec .308 and mounted a Leupold 5-20 MK4 on it. It was a good setup but with the plans I had for it I was almost better off going full custom. So I ended up selling it and had Desert Ordanance build me the rifle with the following specs off a 700 action:

Action was blue printed and bedded into the stock
.308 27" Schneider M40 profile barrel
Pacific Tool bolt knob
Gemtech QD Flash Hider
Stiller Box Magazine
McMillan A5 stock with thumb wheel adjustable cheek piece
Timney trigger at 2lbs
Badger 20moa base
Cerakoted black
American Rifle Company 3rd Gen low mount rings
Vortex 6-24X50 scope EBR-1 MRAD Reticle

While waiting for it I also picked up a used Rem 700 300WM that was in a McMillan A4 stock with a Douglas 26" barrel. Suprisingly nothing else was done to it, so right now it's at Desert Ordnance getting several of the same feature that my .308 has.

The .308 has been shooting great but it's been hell trying to get to shoot it on a day where the winds aren't varying between 4-12mph. It will be nice to have the .300WM back for those days when the weather isn't so good.

And here they are. I'll update the picture of the .300WM when it comes back from the smith but this is what it looked like before it left:

photo.jpg

and my .308 built my Desert Ord:

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Re: Thought I'd Show My Long Range Rigs

Awesome rifles. My envy of your shooting range knows no bounds.

Looks great! At what range is your 308's bipod set for? Looks to be about 4,286 yards. I'd say that is very extra long range!

It is nice country for long range that’s for sure.

ACE31, I'm looking forward to that Gemtech but waiting for it to transfer to my dealer then me, so I have a bit of a wait.

Silverbullet, good guess it's actually 4280 yards. Actually I have no idea how long I can stretch out here but my max has been 750 yards and that’s at about half way up the small mountain to the right of my bolt on my .308 that’s looking down range.

I guestimate this picture at about 1000 yards and this area has quite a bit more to stretch if I follow the cut out in the hills. I only have a 600 yard range finder which I have to range off of other targets to get my 750 yard mark. Soon I'll get a Leica 1500.

IMG_0331.jpg

Very nice rifles. Looks alot like Southern Idaho. What's your impression of Schneider barrels. Considering one for my next build. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Very nice rifles. Looks alot like Southern Idaho. What's your impression of Schneider barrels. Considering one for my next build. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com </div></div>

So far I only have about 150 rounds down the tube but it is shooting great. It is very easy to clean and if my .300 didn't already have a custom barrel, I'd put another Schneider on it. Instead I'll just wait till I shoot that barrel out then replace it Here's some targets from today:

Bottom left group is 5 shots cold/clean bore and bottom right is 5 shot group after I shot (2) 5 round 300 yard groups. All groups were shot prone off a bi-pod no rear bag for support with a 3-7mph wind from 3 o'clock. We started shooting when it was 34 degrees and left when it was 39 degree's. I'm no pro by any means but I'm very happy with the results I have obtained from this build. I can't wait to shoot it when the weather doesn't require gloves and a wind meter.

IMG_0341.jpg

Here's my 300 yard group.

IMG_0343.jpg

And an action shot of me and my little girl. She's shooting a Savage 17hmr. She'll be out shooting me in no time at all. She loves the AR I built for her, so I'm considering a 20" .223 Rem 700 so she can start practicing more long range skills with dad.

IMG_0335.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick Simmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome! We can't let kids shoot guns like that here until they're over 16 </div></div>

Bummer,

Like my father did with me I think under close supervision starting them young is the best way to improve thier skills and safety as they are like sponges at that age.

She started when she was 5yrs old shooting 22's and now she's 8yrs old. Here she is shooting her Crickett .22lr, which she has outgrown.

IMG_0623.jpg

and on the first time on the AR, which she since has shot up a lot of rounds through:

chloeAR.jpg

She likes bows too:
IMG_0381.jpg

For being an 8yr old girl that still into all the girl stuff, I couldn't be happier that she is into all the outdoor stuff with dad:

100_2139.jpg

Sorry, I know I went a bit off topic but since this was a bit of an introduction I figure mention of my little one who I share this hobby with is deserving of mention.

Nice rigs and looks like you'll never run out of room on the range. Great shooting too. Keep that little one involved.

Where is that actually? Are you shooting in North Vegas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is that actually? Are you shooting in North Vegas? </div></div>

Northern NV actually but after being to Vegas they look allot alike N. NV is just a hell of a lot colder. I'll take the cold over the heat though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bear58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rigs and looks like you'll never run out of room on the range. Great shooting too. Keep that little one involved. </div></div>

Thank you Sir, I love NV can't believe it took me so long to leave CA. I just wish it was a bit cheaper to live here. I will keep the little one involved as long as possible. I'm a bit intimidated by the approaching teenage years though.

I read your post and then immediately saw the target with two groups on it and thought, "HOT DAMN! Those groups look better than MINE at just 100yds!". Then I read that it was at 100yds ON the target and felt slightly better about myself.

Either way, damn fine shooting as that right group at 100yds looks to be in the .1-.2moa discussion.

nice setups, been pondering sharing some pictures of my 7yr old and his few rifles. More fun for me to shoot with my son than most of my buddies.

Halcyon, sorry I made you worry, I'd love a group like this at 300 yards even if it was just once. Groups are about .4 cold bore left group and .2 on the right side group inside diameter measurement both at 100 yards. I'll be happy when I'm in tune with this rifle enough that I can do .50 on a regular basis. I shot it the last 4 days in a row, and I was having a ball.

I know the rifle is capable of putting the bullet in the same hole but I'm the one hindering it here.

Do you dive? Halcyon is a well known name in technical deep diving gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolshed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice setups, been pondering sharing some pictures of my 7yr old and his few rifles. More fun for me to shoot with my son than most of my buddies. </div></div>

Enjoy every moment with them, they are the best shooting partners.

Nice rigs especially the pink one for your daughter never seen that before