• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thoughts on buying older cans for cheap

ccasanova

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
A friend has a couple cans on Form 3 in my state. AAC 762 SDN6 and a AAC Element 2. I can get them for probably $325 for 762 and $175 for Element.

Is that a good enough deal to pick up? I have several centerfire and rimfire cans already. Could always use another rimfire can. Maybe stick the 762 on a SBR full time?

Guess I’m just looking for a push over the edge. If it weren’t for the $400 in stamps I would have already picked them up.

They're both good cans. I just had my old 762 SD out this afternoon. Technology hasn't changed much in the round tube with a hole in it. I say go for it.

Reactions: culater
I'd DEFINITELY grab that Element 2 for $175. Great 22lr can, quite possibly the 22lr can that all others are judged by

Reactions: Dan M
Get it now or PM me the goddamn info and I'll get 'em.

SDN6 is one of the best .300BLK cans out there. It's a damn good can, period. It's mounts suck ass, so if you get it, here's a trick:

Order ten of their brake mounts --stay clear of the flash hider, it rings like a damn tuning for a minute after firing, and the brake/hider combo just isn't worth it. It's okay at both but not really good at either. The brakes are nice though. Now most won't fit, so don't torque 'em down. Remember you're gonna be returning most, so keep 'em in good shape. Find the ones that fit and lock up tight, send the rest back, get your refund. Now you'll have a mount you didn't have to fuck with to make work, and that retains the factory warranty. FWIW, AAC seems to be trying step up their game in CS. They can only go up, so there's that.

Don't ratchet the can on. Depress the latch taking it on and off. That'll prevent that latch from wearing out, because it takes a good bit of wear.

The .22 can is a thread on. They make good cans, I imagine that one's just fine.

I have 2 SDN6's and 2 556SD's. Once I figured out the ordering extra mounts trick, all the AAC problems just went away. It's a shame you have to do that, but it works and it works well.

It was only ever AAC's insistence to stick with a shitty mount design (and double down on that not once but twice). They did this despite their customer base and ran 'em off. Because the mounts were such shit, baffle strikes were common as were other problems, they got inundated with warranty work, and finally started blaming the user and asking more of him than necessary to fix the problem in hopes he'd just go away. Well, we did that, and we did it in droves and they went under. Remington runs it now. I'd still like to see 'em come out with a new design, but I imagine they've got a lot of old stock to work through and old AAC ran off all their potential customers.

Once upon a time, not too long ago, SDN6 was considered one of the best on the market.

Dang, $400 for both. You did good OP

I low balled and he accepted. Told him it had to be cheap bc of the stamp cost. I’m happy. Planning to pick up a 300blk upper or 16” bolt action to keep it on full time as a truck/atv gun gun for hogs and varmints.

Hell of a snag. The Element 2 performance is awesome. As far as suppression goes, it is still right up there at the top of the pile. downside of the older tech is that it doesn't takedown as easily as some of the newer cans. I'd say it is a pretty safe bet to say you will be happy with that score.

Reactions: Dan M
Sweet Deal (y)

I have a SDN6 and it's been pretty sweet on my SBR.