• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thoughts on cutting a 24" barrel vs buying another barrel

danb303

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Alabama
I have an LAR-15 RRA 5.56/223 rifle length It has a fixed stock and a 24" stainless barrel. I want to either 1.shorten the gun by changing to a collapsable stock and cutting the barrel to 16-17" or 2. Sell and start o ER

I have decided I want the Magpul STR. What I can't decide is whether of not to spend 150ish on shipping the barrel, having it cut and threaded etc. or buying a new barrel and selling mine to recoup a little $.

Thoughts on cutting the 1-7 twist stainless barrel?

Anything wrong with cutting a fast twist down to 16-17"?

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with chopping an AR barrel down as long as it is done by someone that knows what they are doing and who can properly thread and/or crown the barrel once it has been cut. That includes a fast-twist tube (I have several 16" 1:7 and 1:7.7 barrels).

HOWEVER...I would NOT recommend cutting a 24" rifle-length gas system barrel down to 16-17" as you may experience function issues because the gas system is WAY too long for a 16" tube.

Steve and the fine folks at ADCO can take care of that work for you and do an EXCELLENT job, but it'll cost you more than your $150 estimate. Cut/Crown = $65, Relocate your gas port to carbine or mid-length and plug the old rifle-length one = $35, and Contour new gas block/journal area on your barrel and forward to the muzzle (if necessary) = $65, S/H/I both ways = $30, new gas tube in the proper length = $10

You would likely be better off to just sell your existing barrel and buy a new barrel already setup like you want in terms of length, contour/profile, etc.

How long is safe for the rifle length? 20-22"???

To change the system I would just need to get a different gas tube? Assuming the gas block was the correct diameter I could use it correct?

How long is safe for the rifle length? 20-22"???

To change the system I would just need to get a different gas tube? Assuming the gas block was the correct diameter I could use it correct?

18" is as short as I would personally go with a rifle-length gas system and even then, depending on what ammo you'll be running and other aspects of your particular setup, that can get hairy without an adjustable gas block, but generally will work fine. 20" is prettymuch ideal for a rifle-length system.

As I said in my earlier post...YES...you WOULD need a different gas tube to match the gas system length that you decide on (mid-length or carbine would be advisable for a 16-17" barrel...if 17", then you might consider an intermediate length as well which is in between a rifle and a mid-length gas system). That was the "$10" figure I gave in my estimate on the conversion of your existing setup for "new gas tube in the proper length."

ASSUMING that the barrel is the same diameter where the new gas port would be located as your existing journal, then yes...you could skip the contouring and use the same block without issue. If it is not, then you are back to having the barrel contoured from the journal to the muzzle. Depending on the barrel size...you can likely elect to have it contoured to mate up with your existing gas block, thus saving a few more dollars on the switch to a shorter barrel so you don't have to buy a new block.

Again...it CAN be done, but for all the headache and time involved, I'd skip it and just buy a new barrel that suits your wants/needs in a shorter version. 1:7 twist 16" barrels, depending on what mfg, contour, gas system length, etc. you want, are readily available for non-gouge prices even in the current market (non-gouge being <$275 depending on the above...more for SS, specialty contours, match barrels with matching bolts, etc.).

If you put $200 into a $200 (or less) barrel you have a $400 dollar barrel that is only worth $200. Or you could get a WOA or Rainier for $200-275 and have $400-500 into two barrels worth $400-500. Just my .02

I am considering selling my AR and just starting over.

However, I could have the barrel cut and re-crowned a little cheaper than 150. Those prices were threaded with a protector.

Decisions decisions. Lol

Ditto the new barrel purchase. Nut wrench is about fifty bucks, new barrel might run about $150 or thereabouts, shortened gas tube and gas block about $60-75? Handguards, etc, adds in a few bucks. Old barrel you keep 'cause you never know. You MIGHT find a complete upper if you shop the AR and subgun boards.

The only barrels I would NOT consider having cut down are ones with a chrome bore. If a chip comes out of the chrome near the muzzle, accuracy will be horrible!