• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Thoughts on Hornady SubX .300 BLK?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/300-blackout-190-gr-sub-x-subsonic#!/#specs

I'd like to hear opinions of this ammo for hunting purposes up to 100yds on deer, hogs, coyotes, etc. (small game).

I'm planning a new build and seriously considering a .300 BLK bolt gun. The lack of expanding subsonic ammunition for the BLK has kept me away, this has caught my attention.

And by the way I also believe with any caliber/ammo shot placement is always key.

Ben

I would like some real world data too. Thanks for posting

I still would have a hard time shooting deer and coyotes with subs. I went through the same thought process a few months back. I've just seen too many pencil through vitals and run off to not be found. Pigs, that's another story. I hate pigs. Shoot them with subs, gut shoot them, do whatever. But I'd feel pretty damn bad if I lost a deer of any kind because I wanted quiet.
Dont get me wrong, I use a suppressor on all of my hunts now, but chasing the "mouse-fart" loud report is not where I would want to be.

Now, I think if you want something in 300 blk, do it. Run supers and subs, get accurate and know what it'll do just like you would with anything else. Start on some small game and test it on some hogs. Then make the decision to go after something like a deer.

Reactions: STex and BenY 2013
I agree I am not going to risk losing an animal because I am after silent. That's one reason I am considering the .300 BLK it also has plenty of supers to use for hunting if these rounds wouldn't give me the confidence in a clean kill.

Ben

I still would have a hard time shooting deer and coyotes with subs. I went through the same thought process a few months back. I've just seen too many pencil through vitals and run off to not be found. Pigs, that's another story. I hate pigs. Shoot them with subs, gut shoot them, do whatever. But I'd feel pretty damn bad if I lost a deer of any kind because I wanted quiet.
Dont get me wrong, I use a suppressor on all of my hunts now, but chasing the "mouse-fart" loud report is not where I would want to be.

Now, I think if you want something in 300 blk, do it. Run supers and subs, get accurate and know what it'll do just like you would with anything else. Start on some small game and test it on some hogs. Then make the decision to go after something like a deer.

Just need to up the caliber a little. I have a SRT 77/44 that is as close to "mouse fart" as I have seen. It rivals a suppressed 22lr bolt gun shooting subs.
I have been shooting 300gr hornady XTP's that are designed to expand at subsonic velocities though.

So after seeing what a Subsonic bullet can do, I have been interested in a expanding 300bo bullet. I would love to stock an expanding bullet in the AR by the back door that is meant for coyotes and such.

Reactions: deersniper
Yeah that does sound like a pretty heavy hitter, my issues would be with the much lighter bullets not meant to expand. For your purposes, like the back door ar, I see no reason to not use the 300 blk subs. Its quiet, and if the coyotes or hogs are that close you aren't hunting so it wont be a big deal if they dont expand and drop them.

Just need to up the caliber a little. I have a SRT 77/44 that is as close to "mouse fart" as I have seen. It rivals a suppressed 22lr bolt gun shooting subs.
I have been shooting 300gr hornady XTP's that are designed to expand at subsonic velocities though.

So after seeing what a Subsonic bullet can do, I have been interested in a expanding 300bo bullet. I would love to stock an expanding bullet in the AR by the back door that is meant for coyotes and such.

I see your 44 and raise you 45. I run a 16” 450 bushmaster in my SRSA1, I shoot cast 405 grain leadies with single digit SD numbers. They hit so hard the mouse fart seems irrelevant, I would totally shoot a deer with this.
450BM deer.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love

I'd say the hogs and deer are about equal. Deer hit cars and cause physical and economic damage. And they carry Lyme disease and rocky mounted fever ticks. And the lone star tick that cause you to be allergic to red meat. And the deer cause billions of dollars of damage to farmers crops and peoples gardens.

Deer should be exterminated like they are trying to do to hogs.

Reactions: TanktheFrank
While I dont necessarily agree with you on all aspects of that, I will say that they are pretty damaging and in certain places a major culling would be very beneficial to not only the people and their wallets, but also the deer themselves. My neighborhood is part of a cluster of other neighborhoods and we all share the same problem. Tons of deer. Scrawny deer, hungry deer, dumb deer etc. Eventually they will starve, get hit by cars, or die from a disease that's bound to hit.

I think for ME, it boils down to feeling sportsmanlike towards the deer, and prejudice towards hogs. Then again, I also hunt them differently. Deer for 2 months, and lucky to get 5. Pigs never stop and maybe get 100 in a year.

While I dont necessarily agree with you on all aspects of that, I will say that they are pretty damaging and in certain places a major culling would be very beneficial to not only the people and their wallets, but also the deer themselves. My neighborhood is part of a cluster of other neighborhoods and we all share the same problem. Tons of deer. Scrawny deer, hungry deer, dumb deer etc. Eventually they will starve, get hit by cars, or die from a disease that's bound to hit.

I think for ME, it boils down to feeling sportsmanlike towards the deer, and prejudice towards hogs. Then again, I also hunt them differently. Deer for 2 months, and lucky to get 5. Pigs never stop and maybe get 100 in a year.
Where do you hunt hogs. I am from Utah and a few buddies of mine want to get together and go somewhere for a hog hunt.

Central Tx. I manage a few places for hogs. This rain the past few weeks has been great, they stay down in the washes and sloughs. I've got a ranch I guide on down in south tx. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

I'm in a 300 BLK group on FB and saw some results of the SubX that weren't overwhelming. I'd recommend taking a look at Makers bullets - they sell loaded ammo as well if you don't reload. I've seen some pics of incredible expansion with their 190, 200, and 208 gr REX line, if I recall it correctly. Owner is very helpful if you want to verify anything before ordering. Also seen some great results with their 110 TREX supers, comparable to Barnes VOR-TX ammo (TAC-TX bullets) but even lower minimum expansion velocity. I can't speak to either from personal experience yet, just got some a couple months ago and hope to at least use the supers this season.

I can't speak to the Maker bullets, but they look similar in design to Lehigh's 194 gr subsonic offering. I've taken a few whitetail with those handloaded to sub velocity. No issues as long as you treat it like a bow shot. I don't think I've had one make it more than about 70 yards with your standard double-lung.

I loaded some Lehigh 194 gr subsonic a couple years ago. Shot a doe in the skull at 65yds and would not do it again. Not near as ethical as I had assumed it would be, requiring 2 shots. It was ridiculously quiet though.

The subsonic velocity most likely. I've shot countless doe in the head with supersonic rounds with devastating results.

Im sure its plenty effective as a double lung shot. I just prefer head shots on meat haul hunts, less mess when cleaning the animals.

Reactions: Snuby642
son shot 3 big pigs ranging 50-100 yards in a Q Honey Badger. We practiced with this round a lot, and he could get 1 MOA at 50 and 100 yards. the hornady black ammo with 208 amax (nickel cases) is shit -- like 4 moa at 50 yards.

Lots of folks here in Texas running 300bo suppressed (super and subsonic) for deer and hogs because its limited distance and stationary targets (blinds/feeders). I have yet to run a subsonic through a pig or deer but I would probably only do it with something like a Lehigh or Maker with a mono that is guaranteed to expand and even then I'd limit my distance with subs.

Supersonic guys seem to love the 110-125gr weight class and I've ruined the day for several hogs with the Sig 120gr HT (all copper). Id be more comfortable stretching those out to 100 yards +/-

Morning,

I got a box of these loaded up for 9" AR with an Omega and the accuracy is excellent at 100 yds using a 1x red dot. The plan is to use these in WI during the antlerless-only hunt dates, so it will be a few months before getting results. WI has one buck each with archery and gun tags, and my zone comes with 3 anterless tags each with archery and gun tags that are not weapon specific (hunting out near @Geno C. this year). So lots of opportunities if I'm lucky.

Good luck and be safe this season,
Aaron

I have effectively killed 120-140 pound whitetails with 22 subsonics up to 120 yards.
The average distance traveled after the hit is less than most bow kills.
Shot placement is everything.

the best 300 ammo. Son shot 3 pigs with honey badger with these. They shoot 1moa out the HB.