• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on MDT Tac21 Gen2

Crazyboy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2020
I’m looking to update/change my 300 Win Mags look with an updated chassis. I’ve been looking at the Tac21 and wondering if anyone has any thoughts. My current chassis is AI and it’s been great but with all of the modular designs out, I think it’s time for a change. Although it states there’s no bedding, I’ll be taking it to a smith to get it installed correctly the first time.
C12B0E98-3EDC-4F77-BB81-83E6D20A07D1.jpeg

I was looking at the tac21 this morning so I can’t speak on the performance. The quality of their products is supposed to be good. I like the look and price of the tac21 and the extra weights can help diminish the felt recoil.

Agreed. I’ve been searching the internet on and off and can’t find any reviews. I’ve read a few articles on the first generation so I figured I’d post here to see if anyone has any experience with it.

I like the more traditional construction of fiberglass/CF properly bedded with compound. It seems to react less to big temperature fluctuations than extremely conductive aluminum and I don't have to play with action screw torque as much when temps change during the day.

I'm still in the 40s in the early mornings here with highs in the 90s some days. It's a problem I have to consider if I'm out all day.

However, the tac21 makes my pants tight in all the right ways.

I like the more traditional construction of fiberglass/CF properly bedded with compound. It seems to react less to big temperature fluctuations than extremely conductive aluminum and I don't have to play with action screw torque as much when temps change during the day.

I'm still in the 40s in the early mornings here with highs in the 90s some days. It's a problem I have to consider if I'm out all day.

Nearly all of my rifles wear hs precision stocks and I doubt a chassis can improve their accuracy. The chassis design looks good and feels like the m16 to me. The tac21 is one of the most reasonably priced chassis available. They’re supposed to be offering a lock washer that prevents the action screws from loosening. Does temperature swings affect theIr accuracy?

A traditional chassis is still in the running as well. Manners & McMillian, I also like the look and bedding makes more sense but it seems that everyone is making or coming out with modular. If I can’t get some insight on this Tac 21 I’ll definitely be putting it in a traditional stock.

It just occurred to me that Remington actually uses the Tac21 on their “700 Tactical Chassis Rifle”. They offer it in 308win, 300win mag, and 338 Lapua mag. List price $2400. You can probably find everything you need to know by reading the reviews on those rifles. I’m gonna grab one for my 300 win mag.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
OP, you won't find a better company with whom to deal than MDT. I've purchased three chassis and a number of associated items such as magazines, rails, etc. from them over the past 2+ years, and every transaction has gone smoothly and every question to MDT support has been addressed within hours - or minutes. MDT is an active supporter of PRS matches, and I know from experience the company is very responsive to input from the community.

You get 30 days to return the chassis if you don't like it. Any questions, call or email MDT via their web site support page. @MDT_Josh is always lurking about here on SH as well (unless he's off at a match or somesuch).

I've been debating between an AI chassis and an MDT chassis for my first bolt action. Which AI chassis do you have and what modular features do you see in the MDT that you wish you had with your AI? Thanks!

I had MDT ESS, or i had two of those, and i do not have bad words to say, than that full alloy chassis is PITA in winter, if you live up north, like i do live in Finland.
Otherwise they did worked very well.

Reactions: gnochi
I had MDT ESS, or i had two of those, and i do not have bad words to say, than that full alloy chassis is PITA in winter, if you live up north, like i do live in Finland.
Otherwise they did worked very well.
Isn't there an electrically-heated option for the Scandinavian countries? :unsure: Kinda the opposite here in east-central USA. Leave the dark-coated chassis in the sun and burn yourself on it...

Reactions: viking78
I've been debating between an AI chassis and an MDT chassis for my first bolt action. Which AI chassis do you have and what modular features do you see in the MDT that you wish you had with your AI? Thanks!
I have
I have the standard 1.5 chassis. It’s been awesome with no complaints whatsoever!! I’m just looking to update the look.
12AB1C9D-E0ED-4158-8028-75CD9E6BD8F0.jpeg

OP, you won't find a better company with whom to deal than MDT. I've purchased three chassis and a number of associated items such as magazines, rails, etc. from them over the past 2+ years, and every transaction has gone smoothly and every question to MDT support has been addressed within hours - or minutes. MDT is an active supporter of PRS matches, and I know from experience the company is very responsive to input from the community.

You get 30 days to return the chassis if you don't like it. Any questions, call or email MDT via their web site support page. @MDT_Josh is always lurking about here on SH as well (unless he's off at a match or somesuch).
That’s all good news. I’m definitely leaning that direction.

Isn't there an electrically-heated option for the Scandinavian countries? :unsure: Kinda the opposite here in east-central USA. Leave the dark-coated chassis in the sun and burn yourself on it...

That is true, black metal chassis can be VERY hot in the summer, when sun is shining, even in Finland summers can be quite hot sometimes .

Reactions: DownhillFromHere

Thanks for the kind words and we do put a lot of work into everything we produce, as well as trying to support this awesome community!

If the OP, or any of you guys/girls have any questions about anything we produce, be sure to ask away!

Josh

Reactions: Crazyboy
I have a 30-06 build with a Tac-21 and I absolutely love it. If you like the looks, you won’t be disappointed. I have the “Remington” version that came with their Tactical Chassis Rifle. I got it on clearance last Black Friday for an absolute steal. It’s the same chassis except is has Remington engraved on the off side and it takes the 3.775” accurate mags. Lots of room in the mags but they’re harder to find. I wish I had the 3.715” mag model for my purposes. The Gen2 upgrades would be nice to have, especially the mag release. I’ll be buying the 15” MLOK forend to upgrade mine. People who don’t own one comment on how it would be a pain to remove the butt all the time but it’s stupid simple and easy, and it locks up like a bank vault when it’s together.
I plan on buying another for a 223 build.

Thanks for the kind words and we do put a lot of work into everything we produce, as well as trying to support this awesome community!

If the OP, or any of you guys/girls have any questions about anything we produce, be sure to ask away!

Josh
Would a gap tempest work in the tac 21?

I have a 30-06 build with a Tac-21 and I absolutely love it. If you like the looks, you won’t be disappointed. I have the “Remington” version that came with their Tactical Chassis Rifle. I got it on clearance last Black Friday for an absolute steal. It’s the same chassis except is has Remington engraved on the off side and it takes the 3.775” accurate mags. Lots of room in the mags but they’re harder to find. I wish I had the 3.715” mag model for my purposes. The Gen2 upgrades would be nice to have, especially the mag release. I’ll be buying the 15” MLOK forend to upgrade mine. People who don’t own one comment on how it would be a pain to remove the butt all the time but it’s stupid simple and easy, and it locks up like a bank vault when it’s together.
I plan on buying another for a 223 build.

Put a 1.5mm/0.060” shim in the front of the magwell, and the 3.715s will work fine.