• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on my custom long range hunting rifle?

mrgreentie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2010
Jacksonville,FL
www.gunzoo.com
Building a 300 WSM

This will be my first custom rifle and I'm getting more nervous about the level of difficulty pulling this off. Let me run by you guys what I'm thinking and tell me if I'll end up with a headache or a solid build. I plan on sending my action to Krieger and have them true the action and install one of their barrels. When they send back the action and barrel I plan on slapping it in a stock I buy and go from there. It should be as simple as that, right?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">My grocery list:</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Action:</span></span> Buy a Remington 700 SPS Stainless 300 WSM Rifle and use that action for my build. sample here: Remington 700 SPS SS 300 WSM

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Barrel:</span></span> Kreiger 5R 1:11.25 twist Stainless 26" Barrel with a Varmint #7 contour. I'm trying to keep it somewhat light as I have to cover a lot of ground to get to certain spots on my hunts. (I'll be shooting handloaded 180gr Sierra Gamekings.) I will have Krieger true my action and attach their barrel to the action. Details: Their barrel list Their action service overview

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Stock:</span></span> Buy a HS Precision Stock off of a friend sample here: H-S Precision Pro-Series Rifle Stock Remington 700 BDL Short Action Police Sniper Varmint Barrel

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Trigger:</span></span> I'm undecided but I'm ok with the x-mark trigger that comes on the parts rifle i'm buying. I have one on my .308 and have no issues with the pull or feel.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Rings & Base:</span></span> I'll roll with a Leupold set of rings and a Leupold one-piece picatanny base. I'm second guessing this as my selected optic may limit me on elevation so I may go with a Badger 30 MOA base. Thoughts?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Optic:</span></span> As stated earlier, this is a hunting rifle. I have a Leupold MK4 ER/T on my bench rifle but dont really want to start there with this rifle. I'm thinking this optic: Bushnell Elite 4200 Series 6-24 x 50mm Tactical Rifle Scope 426245T

So. What should I look out for? Is this build solid? Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

~Mac

Re: Thoughts on my custom long range hunting rifle?

A Stiller predator action is a drop in replacement for the the R700 action you want to use. I believe it goes for $750. You'll have more into an action Kreiger will have to "fix" if you go the donor route. Yes you can go to the effort of selling the stock and barrel from the donor and recoup some cost but if you are building a "custom" hunting rifle why not build a real custom rifle? How far do you anticipate shooting? Unless you are "shooting beyond belief" you probably don't need the 30 moa base.

At dealer cost the Stiller is a bit more than 750. If I see one for 750 I buy it on the spot. Truing a Rem is a good option as well. Either way it is a win / win. No offense Jerry, I luv your products.

Depending on your glass, with a 30 MOA base you may not be able to get your zero nearly low enough for shorter shots, necessitating pretty significant hold unders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on your glass, with a 30 MOA base you may not be able to get your zero nearly low enough for shorter shots, necessitating pretty significant hold unders </div></div>I have a 30 MOA base and a NF 5-22 and have no problem getting a 100 yard zero. I can still go down a bit as well.

Theres really nothing wrong with your build list. Everyone has there own ideas. My 300 wsm is built on a trued rem 700 l/a I shoot 208 amax single feed w norma brass. From a shilen select match 26in 1/10 twist with badger thruster brake bedded in a manners T4 with shilen trigger. Badger 20moa base and rings. Nightforce 3.5-15x50 nxs an i love it.

Do yourself a favor and ditch the #7 barrel. That is an obscenely heavy barrel for a rifle you want to carry around and possibly shoot offhand. A fluted Lilja #5 with a short shank will come in at 3lbs and be much more practical. I'm sure Krieger has a similar contour.

Also, skip the 26" barrel. You'll hate that thing in the field. I have a 23" on my WSM and it is just right.

If you do go with the lighter barrel, and shorter, are you really going to shoot it far enough to need a 30MOA base? Given the bullet that you are using, you will run out of energy to open the bullet on game long before you run out of elevation in any decent scope. 20MOA should be plenty.

By the time you spend $700 or so on a donor rifle for the action, plus another few hundred dollars to have it trued, why not consider a GA Precision or Surgeon action to start?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do yourself a favor and ditch the #7 barrel.</div></div>

I have a 260 Remington in a Krieger #6 "Heavy Bull Sporter" and it's very heavy.
--

Just curious- I'm not a hunter...sorry about the OT question...or if it sounds stupid...
But I always thought kills were attempted at much shorter ranges that wouldn't require a 30 moa rail.

What's the maximum range that you can safely (meaning, be assured of a kill, and not a wounding shot) take the shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What's the maximum range that you can safely (meaning, be assured of a kill, and not a wounding shot) take the shot? </div></div>

I probably won't shoot at game past 500-600 yds but figured if I had a 300 WSM it would be nice to occasionally stretch it's legs out past 1k on paper every now and then. I mean, i'm shooting a .308 now and it would be awful nice to be able to have the option to "go long" on this new rig.

Re: Thoughts on my custom long range hunting rifle

Just my opinion and experience, but I will never piece a new custom riffle together. I Did it once just like you are talking about and if it does not shoot well you have not where to turn.

I strongly recommend picking a gunsmith and sending them your action, the stock you purchase and have them true the action and screw on the barrel you select. Have them bed the stock and adjust the trigger while it is there. So if the end product does not shoot you have one person to talk to and no one can point fingers at the other.

It will cost a little more, but having it built twice is way more expensive. Turst me, I have been there and done that!

Willys46

Re: Thoughts on my custom long range hunting rifle

Beyond mating the action and barrel, and trueing by Krieger as he already intend to do, I don't see any other work that requires a smith.
The stock he selected doesn't require bedding, and if it did, that's a pretty simple DIY job for most. Same with a scope install. If you're a capable long-range shooter, I would find it hard to believe these few items aren't on your DIY list.

Although you like your X-Mark....you really should consider a Timney.

We liked the X-Mark on my son's 700- until my wife saw that shit about Remington's trigger on TV a few months ago. I told her I could install an aftermarket trigger and her fears would go away...my son didn't argue...
Anyway, we found a big difference with the Timney. Every 700 we get is gonna get one.