• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on my new NF NXS 2.5-10x32

stxhunter2013

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2014
Texas
My new NF finally arrived today. The thing is built like a tank! The first thing I noticed, turrets were not exposed. That might be a Midway USA web site mess up. The glass was sharper than my Leupold V-II I had on hand for comparison. My older eyes could not tell if it was $1200.00 better. Maybe if I used it for a while it might seem so! I really did like the IHR reticle when I still had pretty good light outside. It is a very FINE cross hair. With probably 30 minutes or so of legal hunting light left the reticle was lost in the brushy background I was looking into. The illuminated reticle was a disappointment to me by far. The verticle was light up nicely but the horizontal section was non existent at any light setting. Since a lot of my hunting is in brush and during the early and late time of day, it was apparent this scope was not going to work for my use. If all my shooting was in good light this scope would be very nice. I was disappointed about the covered turrets though. I am in "no way" trying to bash Nightforce scopes as they have more than proven themselves it just won't work for my needs. If the IHR reticle would have been better lit I may have kept it even with the non exposed turrets that I wanted. I did just purchase a Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 with the EBR-1 MOA reticle which was highly recommended by several folks here. This is just my take on this particular scope. I understand some of these issues have been dealt with on the 2.5-10X42 model it's just out of my price range to find out. :D

FWIW, I have a NXS251032ZSMR-MD I got from Mike at CS Tactical some years back. Zero stop turrets, mil-mil, and a mil-dot reticle. Illumination is very even, glass is very clear, heckuva scope. The Polar covers work well as long as I don't bump the release button.

Don't have an IHR reticle on anything but I do have an NP-2DD reticle in a NXS 5.5-22x50 mounted on a Gre-Tan built 25-06 and both the vertical and horizontal segments are evenly lit on it as well.

Dunno if this helps at all, thought I'd mention it for comparison anyway.

If you are disappointed with the factory illuminated setting double check the owners manual and adjust it to your desired setting. As far as the covered turrets, I'd give Midway a call and see if they will exchange it for you. Otherwise you can always call Nightforce CS and inquire about sending it to them and having the turrets of your choice installed.

As a side note, once you use it on the range or in the field a few times I'm sure the scope will grow on you, just give it a chance. The glass is great, but you didn't just pay for glass. You paid for the mechanical robustness and reliability as well as the attention to detail they put into their product. Hope this helps to put your mind at ease.