• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on Quickload

dariof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
So NV & So CA
Last night I was talking with a Hide member and he was very favorable towards using Quickload software.

I have heard this from some other members of a gun club I belong to out here.

The cost is about $150.00 (quickload quicktarget software), and I am thinking there will be quite a learning curve...which is fine.

I would like to hear some thoughts from others who have used the product.....good and bad.

I used to use it. When I switched computers I never got around to installing it again. No real need.
And I've developed several loads for new calibers and not needed it.

I bought & use it frequently. When you take the time to learn how to use it AND tweak it to match your velocities in your conditions, it works great. It really comes in handy if you are doing multiple loads for different guns. Once you have the parameters set, you can calculate the optimum barrel time based on the OBT tool (excel spreadsheet you can search for). It gets you very close to your OCW & and you can narrow down from a much shorter range charges than you would otherwise. In that sense, it does save time, money & components. I posted in another thread that I can usually get it to within 3/10 grain of my optimal charge, but I do still have to go out & test/verify nonetheless.

With that being said, if you just have one rifle & looking for one load, probably not worth it. You can just OCW/ladder to find your load.

I bought & use it frequently. When you take the time to learn how to use it AND tweak it to match your velocities in your conditions, it works great. It really comes in handy if you are doing multiple loads for different guns. Once you have the parameters set, you can calculate the optimum barrel time based on the OBT tool (excel spreadsheet you can search for). It gets you very close to your OCW & and you can narrow down from a much shorter range charges than you would otherwise. In that sense, it does save time, money & components. I posted in another thread that I can usually get it to within 3/10 grain of my optimal charge, but I do still have to go out & test/verify nonetheless.

With that being said, if you just have one rifle & looking for one load, probably not worth it. You can just OCW/ladder to find your load.

My experience and opinion exactly.

The cost and time savings in load development will far outweigh the cost of the software. I use the software and usually am able to get my results with 10 loads, not 100. With multiple calibers, the savings increase dramatically. Quickload is a must for the reloader. That and a good chronograph.

The cost and time savings in load development will far outweigh the cost of the software. I use the software and usually am able to get my results with 10 loads, not 100. With multiple calibers, the savings increase dramatically. Quickload is a must for the reloader. That and a good chronograph.

I'm pretty much with this guy.

It's like anything else reloading, not 100% infallible, and should be used with care and a big dose of common sense. Combined with a chrono, it's brutally effective for load development once you get some experience with it.

It's great for keeping you off internet tangents.

If you have any interest in wild cats, it's an even better tool to have. I used it a lot for developing minor power factor loads for IDPA.

I can not figure how to run it on Apple systems as I will never buy another Windows based PC!! Was told there was a way to do it but never figured out how it's done? I would love to be able to use it with 8 Weatherby rifles I need it!

When you compare the Quickload simulation results to the Optimal Barrel Time, do you just use the Barrel Time result, which is 10% of Pmax to bullet exit?

I can not figure how to run it on Apple systems as I will never buy another Windows based PC!! Was told there was a way to do it but never figured out how it's done? I would love to be able to use it with 8 Weatherby rifles I need it!
You probably need to install another piece of software that let's you run windows software on OSX or whatever it is now. Google 'running windows software on apple' and you should get some hits.

I have Linux on my machine and needed to run a windows program and just got it setup.

Multiple OS support is why I haven't picked it up Quickload already.

When you compare the Quickload simulation results to the Optimal Barrel Time, do you just use the Barrel Time result, which is 10% of Pmax to bullet exit?

Yes exactly, I tweak the powder charge and/or seating depth until I get the Barrel time, 10% Pmax to muzzle number to match the Optimal Barrel Time in milliseconds. As you probably know, there are multiple Optimal Barrel Times for each barrel length. I use the one that has the highest Amount of propellant burnt %, and still within safe pressure limits, as I live & shoot out in the desert where temps gets 110+ and I want to leave some wiggle room.

I use it and find it particularly useful when figuring safe loads in semi-autos, by watching the muzzle/port pressure of a given load. It also works well when loading for cast boolits, as the pressure curve is apparent, and will give hints as to what powder and charge combos will work well without deforming or stripping the boolit.

After seeing this thread, I went and fired up the old Windows XP system that had QuickLOAD installed (does not like my 64-bit Windows 7 system). I have version 3.8.0.2 running with data update, and after loading the exact bullet I use followed by configuring for my new barrel, QuickLOAD reported the max suggested load (42.0 grains) identical to what I decided on, and even matched the volocity exactly (2819 FPS). For an interior ballistics program it's extremely accurate and works very well to virtually develop loads. Is it a necessary requirement for loaders? I suppose not, but it does save time and money (and wear on equipment).

In hindsight, I was VERY lucky to find my ideal node on the very first try and within thirty rounds. QuickLOAD confirmed this, although costs could be argued.

If you get off of "the beaten path" it is nice to have. Or you can just ask someone that has it.

If I had much need for it, I would buy it.

I treat it like a boat; good to have a friend that has it but I don't really need it myself.

It has been a very nice program for getting to the optimum charge. Sure saves time and money if you use it often. My first work up was on a 6slr a few years back and I wanted to see how accurate the program was so I did a h2o capacity average and then did a case volume by measuring the case on ql they came back exactly the same. I was down to the hundredth. It is accurate if you know what you're doing.
Xdeano

Oh I will figure it out even if I have to go to Apple store as I want QL for sure!! My issue is I hate WINDOWS also hate some of the worthless manufacturers as in DELL my old Gateway gave me ok service and I had a bare bones I built that gave me good service but Windows is so loaded down with crap I do not need and use it's pathetic! had a corporate version of anti virus and got a virus and I called Norton and said they had a fix and just go to their website but my hard drive was burnt! Would no reformat and I lost everything! This was a DOD copy of Norton ?