• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Thoughts on the 270 winchester...

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Evening,

I hope - or maybe it already exists - that bullet manufacturers will one day produce high BC long-range hunting bullets for the 270.

Maybe I’m wrong, but if I were headed out west to chase elk or mule deer I would rather have a 26” 270 pushing a relatively heavy high bc bullet over shooting a magnum.

Might need a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

OR... some of you western gents may already be doing this.

Berger has a 170gr out, but I'd rather be pushing it out of a 27 Nosler than a .270win for elk. That said, I killed my bull in CO this year with a 140gr from a 6.5x284.

I think lack of varying bullet weights have killed the .270 as a round to experiment with. The recoil is nearly comparable to the 30-06 (a proven round) and the availability of lighter .25 caliber rounds makes that platform more open to playing with charges and bullet weights. It will always be a staple caliber for sure, but there have always been better options, either smaller or larger, that are better supported.

Take a look at the 145eldx , it has a .536 bc and no need for a special twist rate.
The factory load with it is stating 2970 fps from a 24" test barrel and see no reason that handloads couldn't easily be pushed beyond that.
That seems like a pretty potent recipe to me in a non magnum caliber.

Take a look at the 145eldx , it has a .536 bc and no need for a special twist rate.
The factory load with it is stating 2970 fps from a 24" test barrel and see no reason that handloads couldn't easily be pushed beyond that.
That seems like a pretty potent recipe to me in a non magnum caliber.
Im stacking rounds on factory rem model 783 with ELD-X...

With a .270 of course

Reactions: XLR308
Im stacking rounds on factory rem model 783 with ELD-X...

With a .270 of course

I have a 14x14x5" deep box that has nothing but .277 caliber bullets in it that is damn near full ranging from 95TTSX to 150 partitions and soon to be 145eldx.
It's such a versatile caliber and chambering in 270win being as old as it is.

Reactions: stello1001
The 270 is my go to elk rifle, (FN made Model 70 Featherweight). It has a 24 inch barrel, dont think I'd want a longer one.

I like the Eldx in my 6.5, havent tried them in my 270. I love the Hornady 150 gr. IBs, except Hornady doesnt make them any more.

They are pricy but they have the same bc as the 150 SST so I use them for practice and banging steel. I'll save my IBs for hunting as long as they last. I only load them to 2800 FPS, never seen the need to shoot them faster

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR308
That is my opinion too. 270 is flatter than the 30/06 and the same weight bullet has a better BC. It is not the "Best" for many applications but it is very versatile for a lot of applications from varmints to elk or moose. If I was going Grizzly hunting on purpose I think I would choose something else but if I was to encounter a belligerent griz and all I had was a 270 because I was deer hunting, I would not feel unprotected. I have a friend who hunted with a 270WSM and the plain ole 270 Win is not that much slower than the mag and has a ton less muzzle blast and recoil. I would not hesitate to hunt Elk with the 270 but we don't have those long long shots here in KY like they do out west. I have killed more deer with mine than any other caliber including 308, 44mag and 30/06. But all of those work fine on deer too.

Reactions: rookie7
the 270 win is my favorite caliber. i get 2900fps with the 150 nosler ballistic tips....out of my 22 inch m77 ruger. i just picked up a no.1B with a 26 inch barrel....it is shorter overall length than my m77. i can’t wait to shoot it....see if it is as accuarate and what kind of velocities i get with the extra 4 inches.

There are caliber’s with higher b.c.’s and velocities....i also shoot a 300wsm. believe it or not, the 270 drops them where they stand with my load, the 300wsm deer run a bit. It is an excellent combination of killing power and everything else the north american hunter needs.

What’s the reasoning for not wanting a magnum? 7RM is simple, easy to find, and isn’t going to beat you up like a weatherby if that’s your worry.

130 grain Serria Game Kings have yet to let my brother in law down. I built him a 270 (he’s recoil sensitive) years ago. Inside 300 yards with a well placed shot it’s game over. As a matter of sad/funny fact, his first elk was taken with the game king. Not the bullet (Partision) I loaded for him. I have never seen the need to go another way for him. I personal prefer the 7RM, but that’s why they make different calibers, so we will buy more stuff that effectively does the same thing.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
150 gr Nosler Accubond Long Range .591 G1 BC performs down to 1300fps will do the job out to 1000+ yards. We've taken 19 elk with them since they came out in 264, 284, 308 cal best hunting bullet I've ever used.

I think lack of varying bullet weights have killed the .270 as a round to experiment with. The recoil is nearly comparable to the 30-06 (a proven round) and the availability of lighter .25 caliber rounds makes that platform more open to playing with charges and bullet weights. It will always be a staple caliber for sure, but there have always been better options, either smaller or larger, that are better supported.
25cal has marginal bullet selection. There's good bullets available but not enough to make me recommend a 25 cal. I love my 257AI

I hunted with one years ago. All I ever used was Remington core lokts and Winchester PSPs. I tried the 150s and they got the job done but I was not terribly impressed. I tried the 130s and holy moly, that was an impressive round. I guess the extra velocity of the lighter projectile made the difference. It was devastating. I shot a nine point through the chest, literally hit a rib on entry and hit a rib on exit, that deer just went limp, dropped, and never moved. When I cleaned him it Looked like he had been hit with a sledge hammer on both sides. I killed a lot of deer with it, never lost one, never had to trail one over a few yards.

I’ve always liked the 150 grain partition for hunting in thick timber, been testing the 145 grain eldx and it groups very well but kicks like a 300 win mag without a break.