• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on the Tikka trigger?

JmaxUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2019
So I’m putting together all the pieces and parts for a long range rifle. It’s going to be a Tikka CTR in 6.5C for the base. I am going through numerous websites. It’s overwhelming the configurations available now. One of the parts I am looking at upgrading is the trigger. I happen to own a Tikka t3 hunter, it has a very good trigger imo. This is my basis for the question. Is it good enough for a PRS match? Do I want to upgrade it to a 2 stage trigger? Or just leave it alone?

The trigger on my T3 lite is pretty good as is but I have read that a $10 spring kit really completes it if your looking for a lighter trigger.
Mine is a lighter hunting rifle so really haven't messed with it other than adding an aftermarket bolt shroud.

If you prefer a single stage trigger, you’ll have a tough time finding a better OEM trigger than the CTR.
Back the adjusting screw out ( forward ) until it is just shy of the trigger housing attaching screw and try how that feels and that the firing pin doesn’t drop if you slam the bolt or bump the buttstock.
The Yodave spring is cheap enough if the OEM spring won’t allow a light enough pull weight.
Personally, I prefer a two stage trigger ( AR-15 Shooter ), so I have a KRG Midas in my CTR. Very happy with the feel on it.

I have a custom built off a Tikka action. I haven’t touched the trigger, no upgraded spring, set to 2.5lbs. Personally, it is the best factory trigger I have felt.

It wont hold you back.

Comes down to personal preference as well. If you like a 2 stage get an aftermarket. If you like single just get a lighter trigger spring. I shoot prs with a tikka ctr with a lightened trigger spring and it's great.

With the spring in it I see no reason to upgrade. Feels nice, reliable and light.

I wouldnt mind trying a 2 stage one day though.

If you prefer a single stage trigger, you’ll have a tough time finding a better OEM trigger than the CTR.
Back the adjusting screw out ( forward ) until it is just shy of the trigger housing attaching screw and try how that feels and that the firing pin doesn’t drop if you slam the bolt or bump the buttstock.
The Yodave spring is cheap enough if the OEM spring won’t allow a light enough pull weight.
Personally, I prefer a two stage trigger ( AR-15 Shooter ), so I have a KRG Midas in my CTR. Very happy with the feel on it.
I prefer two stage also. KRG Midas I will look it up!

Aftermarket trigger spring will turn it into a 1lb Timney. You would need to go with B&A if you wanted something better. Timney and KRG make a 2 Stage for it.

I don't think the Tikka trigger can be improved other than a lighter spring if you prefer a trigger under 2.5 pounds or so. Break/overtravel are great. I honestly think replacing it would be a downgrade as the stock trigger seems to be really dependable and aftermarket triggers have a variety of problems depending on which you go with.

I have heard that various temperatures will affect triggers. Any confirmation on this?

The factory is pretty good, but the 2 I had, if set to the lighter end had really inconsistent trigger pulls. I have a trg22 trigger on mine now, I prefer 2 stage triggers. Krg or timney weren't available 7 yrs ago when I put the trg in. I've not been impressed with timney triggers overall, they are better than factory rem, but pale in comparison to bix n Andy, cg Jackson, ai factory, giessele, and trg22 factory, jewel, triggertech....

The factory is pretty good, but the 2 I had, if set to the lighter end had really inconsistent trigger pulls. I have a trg22 trigger on mine now, I prefer 2 stage triggers. Krg or timney weren't available 7 yrs ago when I put the trg in. I've not been impressed with timney triggers overall, they are better than factory rem, but pale in comparison to bix n Andy, cg Jackson, ai factory, giessele, and trg22 factory, jewel, triggertech....
I never noticed inconsistent trigger pulls with the tikka. I don’t use a gauge though. I adjust be feel alone and maybe my finger isn’t in tune enough to notice. I tend to overlook the small stuff anyhow.

Was it noticeable by feel alone without REALLY trying to tell the difference?

Another vote for Yodave trigger spring. The only other trigger I view as being viable having owned one is the Bix'n'Andy which is in another class to pretty much everything out there - and priced accordingly.

I never noticed inconsistent trigger pulls with the tikka. I don’t use a gauge though. I adjust be feel alone and maybe my finger isn’t in tune enough to notice. I tend to overlook the small stuff anyhow.

Was it noticeable by feel alone without REALLY trying to tell the difference?

Yes, on one of them. Granted it was down to 1.5, but sometimes I'd get a surprise and I'm used to 14oz 2 stage breaks. I did 20 trigger pulls with gage, 17 were right at or around the 1.5lb, but 3 were 10-12 oz. Just different enough to notice. The other trigger wasnt bad and fairly consistent at 1.5lb. It was probably that particular trigger/bolt engagement. Overall tikka triggers are very nice and probably the best factory economy trigger, the howa 2 stage trigger is close, imho. I'm used to 2 stages and that's why I swapped out the trg22 for the inconsistent tikka trigger. I kept the other one for awhile until I sold the rifle. I'd definitely give the krg 2 stage a go, it's way cheaper than the 390.00 trg22 trigger and it's not available anymore, anyway.

Bix and Andy makes a trigger for Tikka.
Yeah but it is 460$. If you have the money to spend 460$ on a trigger, why put it on a Tikka. At that point just get a entry level custom action with a TT Diamond.

Reactions: sako17
Just installed the Timney 2 stage on my T3X. I love it. Out of the factory it was 6oz 1st stage, and 1.5 lbs total pull. I adjusted it to 8oz 1st stage, and 1lb total pull.

There's also adjustment for overtravel which I didn't touch, (has zero overtravel) and an adjustment for sear engagement, which I left at the factory setting.

Almost non existant creep from going from 1st stage to the break. If I try very hard to pay attn, I can sometimes feel a teensy bit of creep, but it's basically not there. I think I could tweak the sear engagement to reduce that creep, but I didn't bother.

I'll shoot it tomorrow, and I'm torn which one I like more (2-stage vs 1-stage), right now I'm really liking the 2-stage at least from dry firing.

Other thing, aesthetically, I like having a black trigger with the black trigger guard :) I'm not a fan of the silver tikka trigger.

Yodave & roll if you want it light - keep 100% factory if you are hunting or just bench shooting for fun. Put whatever you want in if you're independently wealthy, but there is no reason to waste $200 on an aftermarket. It's not a Savage or Rem700 - this is a far, far superior product.

Reactions: ddavis
Did a 6x5 today with the 2-stage Timney. To be honest, 2-stage Timney @ 1lb total pull, vs stock trigger @ 1lb total pull, I don't see that much difference. It is nice to have a clean 0.5 lb break on the 2-stage which I could see would make it slightly easier to be precise. First time shooting prone as well so there are some fundamentals I can do better on...

Other groups are my partner shooting

I'm running the factory triggers in my two Tikka's and I like them pretty good. I may try a spring kit but it's not worth the price of a new trigger to me.

one of the best factory triggers around. as mentioned above, good enough for hunting/prs type shooting...etc.
yo Dave/aftermarket spring if you want to go lower than the factory min. pull weight. i'm running the Bix'n Andy in my Tikka. it's next level.....I prefer it over the Diamond in my other build.

Comes down to personal preference as well. If you like a 2 stage get an aftermarket. If you like single just get a lighter trigger spring. I shoot prs with a tikka ctr with a lightened trigger spring and it's great.
Serious question, because I would like to know if anyone has been successful with this pull-weight and the overtravel, have you done well with this setup in PRS? Most top competitors are running 10oz or less and even some of the better shooters I know running other platforms realized that anything over a pound is hampering. I want to see how well I can do with a 1.0-1.5lb trigger but I don't know anyone that is winning with it.

Serious question, because I would like to know if anyone has been successful with this pull-weight and the overtravel, have you done well with this setup in PRS? Most top competitors are running 10oz or less and even some of the better shooters I know running other platforms realized that anything over a pound is hampering. I want to see how well I can do with a 1.0-1.5lb trigger but I don't know anyone that is winning with it.

I would worry more about fundamentals than winning. Shooting with 4-10oz triggers because it's the only way you can hit a target successfully is just poor fundamentals and more about gaming the system. Yes.. 4oz trigger, 30 lb rifle, 6Dasher, don't even get behind the rifle, just tap that trigger and the rifle will fire w/o even moving.

Caylen does plenty well in PRS matches with his 1.5lb trigger.
Alison Zane I believe is one of the top young gun shooters and runs a Huber 1.5lb I think.

Personally I would get good at shooting with a 1.5-2lb trigger. When you mastered that art and fundamentals, then put on a 4-10oz trigger if you're at the top tier of PRS gaming.

^^^^^This

Having to run a less than 1lb trigger is absolutely not needed to be competitive in PRS style matches.

I have heard that various temperatures will affect triggers. Any confirmation on this?

Ask yourself if what you have heard makes any plausible sense before you give it any credibility.

Reactions: DJL2
I would worry more about fundamentals than winning. Shooting with 4-10oz triggers because it's the only way you can hit a target successfully is just poor fundamentals and more about gaming the system. Yes.. 4oz trigger, 30 lb rifle, 6Dasher, don't even get behind the rifle, just tap that trigger and the rifle will fire w/o even moving.

Caylen does plenty well in PRS matches with his 1.5lb trigger.
Alison Zane I believe is one of the top young gun shooters and runs a Huber 1.5lb I think.

Personally I would get good at shooting with a 1.5-2lb trigger. When you mastered that art and fundamentals, then put on a 4-10oz trigger if you're at the top tier of PRS gaming.
OK, got it. Fundamentals, thanks.

I shot with a 2lb trigger for quite a while and really seemed to drop unnecessary shots on targets that were less than 2 MOA and the position had some wobble. I could see the reticle and movement line up but was still applying pressure to the trigger when the conditions changed. Once I moved to a 10oz trigger I could leave a match knowing that I only pulled 2-3 shots out of 100 on a bad day.

It definitely correlates to the target size because I shot all but one of the matches in the 2018 Gas Gun series with a 2.5lb trigger but, with 4 MOA targets, I rarely pulled a shot off target.

I would be curious to know how many shooters in the top 20 of points are shooting a trigger heavier than 1lb. This debate seems to go the same as the rifle accuracy discussion. Some guys will claim that 1 MOA is sufficient to be competitive but I don't know any top level shooters that would settle for that.

Reactions: littlepod
1596577156001.png

It looks like none to answer. As mentioned, the game is the game. How many people in PRS are running < 18lb rifle, probably very few too.

How many top 10, don't handload, probably none.

But it doesn't mean I need to handload, or run a 25lb rifle, or run an 8oz trigger to be a good shooter.

Tikka single stage is pretty hard to beat. As others have said zero noticeable creep, clean break and no noticeable overtravel. Put in a lighter spring if you want a lower weight, but the factory trigger is so clean it doesn’t really NEED lighter.

I have been toying with the idea of giving mine some over travel after the break similar to an AI and see what happens to groups compared to hitting the wall like it does at the moment though.

Another vote for YoDave, my CTR trigger is now consistent at 10oz on two different trigger scales.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I run a Bix'n Andy Tacsport in my Fuzion. For a good long while, I kind of missed my Tikka Trigger with $10 spring. I wish Tikka would make an R700 trigger.

Is the trigger still adjustable if it has a YoDave in it. I bought barrelled action with one installed but I’d like to hunt with it. It’s too light the way it is. I love the trigger though.

I did adjust it but couldn’t tell that it made any difference. Maybe I’ll adjust it even more. Thanks.