• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes thoughts on TPS rings

Re: thoughts on TPS rings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would use Seekins rings over the TPS any day of the week. </div></div>

Glens products are top notch as is his CS. I won't use anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all do respect to Randy's opinion, I wouldn't put TPS rings on my BB gun. </div></div>

Because they'd be worth more than the BB gun.
laugh.gif

I have a set on my PGWDTI Timberwolf (.338LM) and they are good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TPS rings.... terrible product.... terrible service.... At least the are consistent in that respect but they sure aren't in holding an optic.

Edit: (felt I should elaborate so as not to be making a worthless post)
Last set I used I tightened according to their manual to the specifications mentioned on the TPS forum. Scope slid in the rings under recoil when mounted over a heavy .308. Nothing heavily recoiling. Replaced them with Badgers and never thought about my rings ever again since.

Although if you want to feel like a truly special customer and want a top notch and absolutely beautiful piece of machinery Seekins Precision rings will never disappoint! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TPS rings.... terrible product.... terrible service.... At least the are consistent in that respect but they sure aren't in holding an optic.

Edit: (felt I should elaborate so as not to be making a worthless post)
Last set I used I tightened according to their manual to the specifications mentioned on the TPS forum. Scope slid in the rings under recoil when mounted over a heavy .308. Nothing heavily recoiling. Replaced them with Badgers and never thought about my rings ever again since.

Although if you want to feel like a truly special customer and want a top notch and absolutely beautiful piece of machinery Seekins Precision rings will never disappoint! </div></div>

Same exact thing happened to me. I'll be buying some seekin's </div></div>

HOLY NECROPOST!
shocked.gif

Now that it's up here, though, I'll throw my two cents in. I have a pair of the steel alloy rings that I picked up in early 2005 or so, and I ran them on my 700PSS with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 PR Mk4 scope with no problems at all. I still have them, and plan to still use them until I notice any issues, if any ever arise.

I also have an pair of steel alloy 1.075" (mediums?) from around the same time. I've never used them, but I'm more than willing to give them a shot the next time I find myself with a rifle needing rings (which may be a LONG time. Doh!). The only immediate use I see for them is to upgrade the rings on my .22LR, but I need to land an picatinny rail for my older MkII (the Ken Farrell bases are for the newer Savages). Once I have one in hand and mounted, I'll be using these rings.

That being said, if I ever need to buy new rings, they'll probably be Seekins or Jon's new rings, since most of the TPS issues seem to be present on much newer product.

I have had 4 or 5 sets of TPS rings never had a single issue. Those who are complaining about lapping, you sure it was the rings that caused the problem or was it that your receiver is slightly out of spec. In my experience it is usually the receiver, so if you bed the base properly the rings line up just fine.

I put on a Seekins base and seekins rings on a remmy SA and they we way off being lined up with each other. But once I did a little checking it was my action not the mounting hardware. Bedded the base with some devcon and everything was perfectly lined up.

I am a big fan of Seekins as well, but for nearly twice the price they should be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had 4 or 5 sets of TPS rings never had a single issue. Those who are complaining about lapping, you sure it was the rings that caused the problem or was it that your receiver is slightly out of spec. In my experience it is usually the receiver, so if you bed the base properly the rings line up just fine.

I put on a Seekins base and seekins rings on a remmy SA and they we way off being lined up with each other. But once I did a little checking it was my action not the mounting hardware. Bedded the base with some devcon and everything was perfectly lined up.

I am a big fan of Seekins as well, but for nearly twice the price they should be better. </div></div>

+1 to this and have noticed this issue on my .308 700 also. I have a LA TPS 700 base and love it and its perfect fit with no issues what so ever. I now have the TPS rings and they look really well made and should be fine.

Aron-

TPS's biggest problem was bad crossbolts a few years back.

I never had any issues with TPS rings and have a set to this day.
They are my 30mm backup rings.

I prefer Seekins by choice now, but will use any heavy duty quality rings to get the perfect height I want.

I will NOT sacrifice my height needs for sight picture for a name brand. My main match rifle has Seekins 35mm, my 308 has IOR/Vtac 35mm (lowest 35mm's I could find) and my POF 6.5CM has a NF low Unimount (perfect height and I needed the 20moa).

Great rings at a great price. Have no idea why someone would say negative things about them. All of them I have had are excellent.Easily as good as rings 2 x the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for the money their not bad but they did require a bit more lapping to get them strait</div></div>

That is an understatement The only set I have had experience with took a lot of elbow grease to get lapped properly. Never had to put much effort into lapping Badger, NF, or Mark 4 rings. I would hate to know what a scope tube looks like after being mounted in those junkers straight out of the box.

Like Mike said, would't buy 'em @ $1.50. </div></div>

+1 Maybe it was a bad batch but there are better options

My steel lows that I have around have had many different scope in them and have yet to mark up a tube. Maybe I got lucky.

TPS never sent me my order and never picks up the phone or answers email. Tried them for a month 1/2 straight. Just gave up.

I like Seekins or Badger. I'm sure there other good ones too.

I recently tried to get ahold of TPS with no luck. I was speaking to someone in the optics business who told me that the owner of TPS was having some medical issues and is in the process of moving the business from Oregon to Arizona.

That is likely why there's been no response from the company.

I work in a machine shop and when we moved we still paid our receptionist to take messages, handle returns, ect. There is no excuse for their behavior. This isn't the first time they've been ripped for their C.S.

Well I have 6 sets of TPS rings and can report no issues. First two sets 2 yrs ago. The instructions say not to lap, so I haven't. I have yet to notice any ring or movement marks whatsoever after removal to change out scopes. Also no scope canting, when tightening the caps as per instructions. To date, only problem have been availability. Price is about $77.

Have 4 set no problems with the rings,their cs dept sucks,just buy the rings from swfa

I have several sets varying from low to high and have never seen any issues, I also always torque them with a 65lb seekonk wrench.

Just called them again and the message says they are closed. Office hours are 8am to 5PM M-TH. Ok product, non existent C.S.

i tried to buy them, they were on back order and the company i ordered through said that TPS was one of their worst about getting back to them on when they could expect another shipment. 4 months of waiting and i switched to seekins precision rings. I HIGHLY recommend seekins rings.