• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Thread 260 Remington 1/2-28?

RyeDaddy

Dickhole
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Hellbound in Fort Worth, TX
Anybody threaded a 260 muzzle 1/2-28? My Kimber Montana's muzzle measures .560", so I can't thread it 5/8-24 which would be standard. I can get an adapter to run my 30 cal suppressor on 1/2-28 threads as long as no one thinks thre's not enough steel left at the muzzle to run it safely.

By my calculation there's be 0.118"-ish steel at the muzzle all the way around, is that too thin? There would be a muzzle brake installed on the threads that would stay on permanently for the supressor to mount to. I asked this in another section and didn't get any replies.

Re: Thread 260 Remington 1/2-28?

I would run 9/16 28 and adapt up fro there.

Thanks, let me clarify that the brake to attach the suppressor comes in 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 and due to tolerance stacking I'd like to run the brake directly om the barrel rather than an adapter, then brake, then can.

Will 1/2-28 work ya think?

There's enough material there. My only concern would be accuracy.

IIRC, Bill Alexander of Alexander arms had accuracy issues with 1/2-28 when developing the 6.5 Grendel, and settled on 9/16-24.

When I was in gunsmithing school at Murray State College, the rule of thumb was .200 of an inch from the diameter of the bore to the outside of the barrel. Hope this helps.

When threading the muzzle for a brake I always back bore the rifling deeper than the length of the threads.

Thanks guys, still undecided but I've got another 4.5 months before the can clears to work it out. I'm gonna call Tim at SAS and see if he'll make me a custom 9/16-28 TOMB. That's probably the safest way to go, although not the easiest. If that fails I'll maybe see if my smith will rethread a 1/2-28 TOMB to 9/16-28 or whatever I can get away with.

I would get a 1/2-28 mount then open it up to 9/16-24 threads.
Then thread the barrel to match and have the mount tighten against the muzzle as there will not be any shoulder behind the 9/16" threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get a 1/2-28 mount then open it up to 9/16-24 threads.
Then thread the barrel to match and have the mount tighten against the muzzle as there will not be any shoulder behind the 9/16" threads.</div></div>

This is what I'm gonna do, thanks!