• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thread size on hornady OAL gauge

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
What size does a case need to be drilled and tapped to fit the threads on the OAL gauge by Hornady? I saw someone was doing it here But I have so many different ones its would just be cheaper to DIY it if possible. Besides I would just like to be able to do it for any new rifles. I have the OAL tool and a couple of modified cases from hornady but need a few others.
AHA
Rad

Re: Thread size on hornady OAL gauge

DSCI0002-4.jpg

Terry

Suasponte is aboslutely correct. Use a 9/32 or letter "K" size drill. Try working your way up. Start with a smaller drill size first, then go to your finish drill. Brass has a tendency to grab so be careful. Use lube. I don't have a lathe so I insert the case in a Wilson case holder to hold the case while drilling. Been a while since I've done one but it (case)might spin in the holder and pull out, so be careful.

Thanks guys I already have the bits and tap. SO a zero cost DIY.
Thanks again
Rad

Yea, I recently ordered the 5/16-36 tap and did a .225 Win case and a .50 bmg case. I can never get someone at Hornady to help me with ordering these "special" modified cases - I always get the guy's voicemail. I'll get a local machine shop to make the bullet and headspace inserts for the .50 so I can measure those well - they are just aluminum inserts for the comparator body. I bought an 8" caliper to do the .50 bmg with. I've tried calling Hornady about them off & on since last fall when I bought my rifle but am tired of trying.

I have sent some .25WSSM fireformed brass to Hornady and had them do it. They require 2 pieces of brass and at the time it ran $11, including return shipping. I guess if a guy already had the drill and tap it would make sense to do your own, but I doubt a guy could purchase those for less than what Hornady charges. They returned both pieces of brass, one was modified the other was just in case the first one was fubared.